RK 30-Aug-21
thedude 30-Aug-21
RK 30-Aug-21
Ambush 30-Aug-21
RK 30-Aug-21
WYelkhunter 31-Aug-21
30-Aug-21

onX Hunt's Link
We just released our latest film #ProjectLandlocked from Jason Matzinger which takes a detailed look into the history behind the millions of acres of "LandLocked" Public Lands across the west and what the future holds using the latest data collected by ourselves and TRCP in the Landlocked Reports. We will look at the differences between 'Checkerboard' & 'Landlocked' Public Lands and why they are inaccessible unless you get permission from a private landowner. We don't know what the solution is but, we know that now is the time to start thinking about it...

What are your thoughts on landlocked lands?

30-Aug-21
There are some grey areas but then there are situations like the closed road thru the High Lonesome ranch in Colorado. Pretty black and white there. They landlock over 50,000 acres of solid public land and charge big money to allow people to hunt there. They hide behind “conservation” but they really just want control and the money that brings in. Hopefully the rule of law will prevail and we can someday access and utilize “our” land

30-Aug-21
The solution is land trades or purchasing an easement. Both of which have been done here in northern Colorado. The USSC ruled in the Leo Sheep Company case that "recreational access" was not a valid reason for a governmental agency to force access to landlocked "public" land (which is a misnomer itself, because it is land held in the government trust where certain types of public access may or may not be permitted. But "Public Land Owner" makes for a catchy tshirt and bumper sticker slogan for the man-bun/flatbrim/brewpub crowd)

30-Aug-21
High Lonesome ranch owners are !@$@!#. It should be illegal (and probably is, but they have the money) for what they have / are doing. I can't remember if it is Mesa or Garfield county that had or have taken them to court for putting gates up. I never heard what happen or if it ever made it to court. In Colorado it is not legal to land on public land, not that I could afford it anyways.

30-Aug-21

SlipShot's Link
Actual I just found this.

30-Aug-21
Slip, they were ordered to open the road. They got a stay because some groups, Colorado Farm Bureau, and others argued that opening the land would create un-wanted environmental impacts and that they opposed. They are arguing that allowing public access would cause environmental harm.

That is currently holding things up, but they also got the gates locked this last week. The ranch claims that the county up keep has caused damage to their private property. With that said they are closing the gates again right before season begins. Wished I had the pockets to sue them. Surely anyone hunting those units have a claim...

30-Aug-21
The video was interesting, but my experience with land owners in Colorado does not match their optimistic view on land owners.

30-Aug-21
WYOelker, what would prevent someone from cutting the locks off the gates and going through? Doesn't sound like the ranch would have a trespassing case.

30-Aug-21
In the areas I hunt the BLM has stopped trading landlocked parcels because they found natural gas

30-Aug-21
Smurph,

They just simply have deeper pockets, and more lawyers etc. It is just too much of a risk for the average joe…

I am no longer in the area but on some level I would hope hunters and the public could team together and go in such number that they couldn’t stop us…

30-Aug-21
In my experience of hunting landlocked BLM lands for over 25 years when I was younger, adjacent landowners hold all the cards. They can control it like there own private property without repercussion, especially if they have grazing rights. It’s a broken situation that needs to be fixed.

Matt

30-Aug-21
How would you fix it Matt

30-Aug-21
Someone with money,time and bolt cutters could be useful

30-Aug-21
Everyone should carry the universal master key ( bolt cutters ). ??

30-Aug-21
Bolt cutters are soooo ‘90’s dude.

Milwaukee cordless grinder and zip cut blades. Endorsed and used by thieves all over NA!

30-Aug-21
Ambush Lmao !

Boltcutters. Quiet quick and no fuss

The battery stuff is for the big jobs :)

31-Aug-21
My thoughts are if there is no legal access forget about it and go hunt somewhere else. If the land owner wants to provide access good for them. If they don't that is their right and good for them also.

• Sitka Gear