c3 11-Oct-21
Mad Trapper 11-Oct-21
Lucas 11-Oct-21
Inshart 27-Oct-21
Buffalo1 27-Oct-21
02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
I have applied for many years for a once in a lifetime bull elk tag but hadn't ever been lucky enough to draw. I had always put as my first choice one of the premier units in the state but after being unsuccessful and very low odds I decided to put in for a tag in my own back yard. Odds were a bit better to draw this tag and elk numbers had increased in recent years. When draw results were released and my son called and said "did you check to see if you drew?" Expecting the same result as the many years before but when I looked it revealed I had in fact drawn a bull elk tag! I couldn't believe I would be hunting elk within a few miles of my house!

02-Sep-21
Was waiting for this!

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
I started scouting in July and by this time I had gained a lot of permission as most of our elk in this area stay in the cornfields once the corn matures making them not real popular with the farmers. I was able to scout many mornings and evenings and outside of couple quick sightings in July most of my scouting produced a few tracks here and there.

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
I knew that the closer the rut got the more active these elk would be so this helped me stay positive even though there was a severe lack of sightings. As the end of August came I had not saw an elk in over a month but had narrowed down to where I would be concentrating my efforts. The season would open Sept. 1st and five days before the season I receive a pic from a friend of two bulls that were spotted in a bean field right across the road from where I was hoping to be opening morning. Now I was excited!

02-Sep-21
HECK YA.........

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Two days before the season I get a call from a landowner friend and he says he found fresh bull sign near one of his fields and wants to go show me. He takes me to the spot and there is a fresh shredded tree and several elk tracks going down the old two track road between his fields.

02-Sep-21
The evening before opening day my buddy Arron and I went and glassed the two spots we were planning to hunt for the week. Our first choice where the two bulls had been spotted wasn't going to work for morning as the Southeast wind was not good. We would go with plan B and go to where the fresh rub was. These elk return very early to the cornfields as they usually feed on beans at night and bed in the corn during the day.

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
The four bulls we first saw were along of the edge of the corn right by the haystack.
Beav's embedded Photo
The four bulls we first saw were along of the edge of the corn right by the haystack.
We rolled in to our spot early and walked a half mile into where we wanted to be in position to glass. It was very overcast making daylight creep to us very slowly. Just as it lightened a bit I immediately picked out brown shapes across the road along the cornfield. Sure enough there were four elk and all were bulls. We waited and glassed watching them and waiting for enough light to be able to shoot if they responded to our calls. Even though it was legal light I didn't feel like I could shoot past 20 yards so we waited a bit more. Once they turned and walked into the corn we knew we had to make a move. Aaron dropped back behind me into some big cottonwoods 80 yards and let out some cow calls and a bugle. Immediately a bull responds with a bugle! This goes back and forth with about for sequences but they don't appear from the corn. The next bugle brings a response 200 yards to the South and I peak around the tree I am using for cover and there stands a great bull! The bull rips another bugle and starts toward our position. He walks to the very tree that had been shredded a few days before and proceeds to rip it to shreds 52 yards from my position.

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
The lone tree on the berm is where I was positioned and the bull was at the shredded tree just out of the picture to the right.
Beav's embedded Photo
The lone tree on the berm is where I was positioned and the bull was at the shredded tree just out of the picture to the right.
I knew this bull would eventually come by me if I remained patient and the longer I watched him hammer the tree the more my nerves calmed. I took a couple quick range finder readings and hooked my release on. The bull finishes his business with the tree and rips a bugle and walks down the fence towards me!

02-Sep-21
When the bull was at 40 yards I drew my bow and waited as he was currently on a death march! I figured he would either jump the fence and angle across towards the cottonwoods and give me a shot inside of 30 yards or continue towards me and give me an up close frontal! At 20 yards he continued walking right to me and I had my top pin on him as I was looking for the red highlighted spot from the frontal discussion last week.

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Here he is as he lay!
Beav's embedded Photo
Here he is as he lay!
When the bull reaches ten yards I let it rip and it sounds like I shot a watermelon. The bull bust off the berm onto the road and already has a wobble in his step and Aaron rips off a bugle. The bull stops and I nock another arrow and grab the rangefinder. As I am trying to get a range he stumbles and dies 40 yards from me. I throw my bow and jump the fence and run towards Aaron. He had heard the shot but didn't see him go down. We hug and can't believe that 15 minutes into my once in a life time hunt and it is over. But wow was it an exciting 15 minutes. We walk to the bull and admire the beast that has died 6 feet from the two track road. I soak in the moment as I still can't believe it!

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Success photos never felt so good!
Beav's embedded Photo
Success photos never felt so good!
We take time to take a bunch of success photos and love every second of it!

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
I make some calls to great friends and also the landowner. He says he will be there in a half hour with the tractor. I gut the bull and we hear the tractor coming. This is a pack out Nebraska style!

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Selfie with my caller and I!!

02-Sep-21
That’s awesome!! Congrats Beav!!

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Work out for the half ton!

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
I check him in and they pull teeth to age him and we head to our friends to butcher!

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Butcher time!

02-Sep-21
Thanks for the recap and sounds like an awesome hunt all the way around. No doubt that’s a dream of a “pack out”.

02-Sep-21
Nice!

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
This bull was like butchering a fattened steer!

02-Sep-21
Hell to the yes! Great bull Beav, congrats man

02-Sep-21
Man, that's a beautiful 5x6...love the huge 5 side!

What a dream, to take a bull like that basically in your backyard!

Love the way everything came together for you, nice work, Beav !

And...a big thank You, for not dragging this out for 3 days, lol !

02-Sep-21
Wow! Great bull! And, I hope you didn't shoot him in your flip flops!

02-Sep-21
Super awesome Harlin! Congrats!!! I do feel very poorly for you that you were unable to get the "entire experience" in with this bull and skipping the pack job ;)

Congrats on seizing the opportunity.

02-Sep-21
Congrats!! Have a great hunt. Short bloodtrails.

02-Sep-21
Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing your story.

02-Sep-21
That’s what I call fast food! Way to go man! It’s Miller Time !

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
This meat should be incredible!

02-Sep-21
That is awesome congrats on a awesome bull! I see one problem though your tag was for a one antlered elk and the one you kill had two antlers? ;)

02-Sep-21
Awesome Beav!!! Congrats on a fine bull!!

02-Sep-21
Short, sweet and absolutely amazing! Congrats! Post him up on the meatpole too.

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Walk-in cooler is nice to have!!

02-Sep-21
Awsome!

That looks like a mature old bull

02-Sep-21

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
The work was done and it was story time! Thank you all for the congratulations it is much appreciated. I would have never dreamed that this hunt would have played out the way it did. So lucky to have been able to experience this and appreciate all those that helped make this happen! Good luck to everyone on your seasons!!

02-Sep-21
Very nice....congrats, you did good!

02-Sep-21
Way to go. Congrats!

02-Sep-21
I'd enjoy seeing or hearing where that frontal shot hit and how far back into the rib cage the arrow penetrated. Love the concept of the frontal shot, but I am still hesitant when it comes to doing it.

02-Sep-21
Congratulations! Definitely a unique elk hunting experience. It’s so cool Nebraska now has a hunt-able elk population. I bet corn fed elk will taste amazing. Once again congrats, and thanks for telling the story!

02-Sep-21
I can't get the image tool to change my pics so they are right.

02-Sep-21
Nice elk and story. Especially like the pack out- all elk I have been involved with come out in little pieces.

02-Sep-21
I hit him 8 inches up on the dark part of the mane. Broadhead was lodged in the pelvis between the hindquarters. Shot him with a Vipertrick.

02-Sep-21
You are a blessed man Mr. Welch! Congratulations on an incredible animal... Wow!

02-Sep-21
Excellent job Beav!!! 10 yard shot, 0 yard pack out, loaded with a tractor, electric hoist, walk in cooler. Someone's living right!!!

P.S. I love Aaron's hat!!!

02-Sep-21
Sounds like you almost shish kabobed him! Hopefully my slick tricks are as lethal this year! Headed out the 15TH for two weeks. tic tok tic tok...

02-Sep-21
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.

02-Sep-21
That’s awesome. Way to go

02-Sep-21
I love it!!!!! Congrats brother.

02-Sep-21
This is so awesome Beav! Congrats again! The Welch family will be eating good this winter! Beautiful bull!

02-Sep-21
Excellent! Great bull! Congratulations! With all that fat, he will be excellent eating!

Love the pack out and butchering facilities;-)

02-Sep-21
Congrats on a great bull, buddy! Sure nice to have connections with the farmer and his tractor, as well! I’m surprised the bed ain’t rusted out on that old blue Ford, as many bloody carcasses as it’s hauled over the years.

02-Sep-21
Congrats on a great bull Beav. Great pictures and write up!

I sure wish my pack outs were that easy:)

02-Sep-21
There was never a doubt in my mind !! Love it brother. Can’t wait for our next adventure!! Hammertime!!!

02-Sep-21
Friggin awesome! Congrats

02-Sep-21
That's awesome Beav! Nice work, great bull and the meat looks fantastic!

02-Sep-21
Totally awesome!!!! Congrats on a great bull and thanks for the excellent pictures and recap!!!!

02-Sep-21
Now that is a short story lol I guess all the planets were aligned congrats on a hunt lm sure you will never ever forget Lewis

02-Sep-21
Great job Harlin, I couldn't believe the body size of that bull in person, lots of meat on that bad boy! Congrats again bud!

02-Sep-21
Hard to beat that! Congrats again Harlin!

02-Sep-21
15 min in and a great bull too boot! Congrats that's great

02-Sep-21
Fantastic! Great job Beav...Congrats! Now THAT is how you pack out a bull elk!!!

02-Sep-21
Never loaded a bull elk whole but I once climbed inside a buffalo to get it's heart ;). Love it brother!! Great bull!

02-Sep-21
I believe it Will because I saw you do it!! Thanks man!

02-Sep-21
I was holding his feet :)

02-Sep-21
That is awesome!!! Congrats!!

02-Sep-21
Awesome!

And congrats, Beav!

02-Sep-21
Saving this story for a weekend morning read but wanted to congratulate Beav ahead of time. Outstanding and very cool bull, man! wow!

02-Sep-21
Big congrats Beav, the combination of a great bull and in your backyard has to have you pumped up ! Gotta tell you though, my favorite picture is the one of him hanging at the butcher shop ! ;-)

02-Sep-21
Yeah, that is just awesome! Congrats.

02-Sep-21
Wow, congratulations Beav! What an awesome 15 minute hunt!!! Jim.

02-Sep-21
Congrats and well done sir!! Thank you for telling the story (in one day) and posting up the pics.

02-Sep-21
Nicely done !

02-Sep-21
Would’ve loved to have been there, all that shooting and scouting paid off! So happy for you!

02-Sep-21
Congrats Beav! Great bull!

02-Sep-21
Outstanding!! Congratulations!

02-Sep-21
Simply amazing!! Congrats !!!!!!

02-Sep-21
Great deal! Spent a lot of time around springview. Always thought it looked elky. Sure was cool to see them move in Congratulations!

02-Sep-21
Beav you and Zack sure are tough on those NE bulls! Congrats and thanks for giving me that smile at work thing!

02-Sep-21
Here I am, sitting on the pot in Oklahoma reading another Beav story and wishing I could go elk hunting. lol! Great job, Harlin! You guys definitely knock down some animals!

03-Sep-21
Man-O-Man!!

Luv your Pack out plan----tractor and truck is so nice.

Congrats,

Robb

03-Sep-21
Congratulations! Awsome

03-Sep-21
Nice work! Just goes to show it can happen at any time, even the first few minutes of the first day. Way to be ready and capitalize on your opportunity.

03-Sep-21
Congrats on an AWESOME bull!!!!

03-Sep-21
That's Awesome!!!!! Congrats!!

03-Sep-21
Congratulations and great story!

03-Sep-21
Thanks for sharing and congratulations Harlan. That's a great bull!

03-Sep-21
Beav, You sir are living right. Great Bull and great story.

03-Sep-21
Wow! What a story! Never have been elk hunting but from what I see here on Bowsite, most elk kills don't involve a road, a truck, a tractor or a processing site including a walkin cooler. That is exactly the way I would want to elk hunt;) Congratulations!!

03-Sep-21
Congratulations and great story!

03-Sep-21
Congrats

03-Sep-21
Grats Harlin!

03-Sep-21
Outstanding Harlin! Hope to draw that tag one day myself.

04-Sep-21
Well that was fast! Congrats nice bull.

04-Sep-21
Congrats! Nice when they fall next to a road.

20-Sep-21
Harlin, just found your hunt/story/pictures. Very well done. What ever happened to the saying "No pain no gain"? You had a lot of gain but no pain :). Tell your tractor friend that you have a buddy in Colorado and expect a call from him next year, if you know what I mean. my best, Paul

20-Sep-21
What a great read. Congrats on a great bull. Impressive penetration with your arrow. I liked your friends hat, too (as mentioned by Greg Simon). Cornfed elk.....wow!

20-Sep-21
A surreal experience! Congrats on a super trophy and unforgettable hunt !

21-Sep-21
Congratulations Beav!! Great bull and lot's of the freezer filled! Bet those elk in NE are great eating.

21-Sep-21
Leave it to Beav… To get a nice Nebraska Bull! Congrats Sir!

21-Sep-21
Awesome man! so nice that he died next to the two track! HAHAHA - congrats!

21-Sep-21
Man, you couldn;t have planned that any better! I think the Good Lord was shining down on you that day! ;-) CONGRATS!

21-Sep-21
Way to go Beav. I keep holding my breath to draw my Nebraska tag too. Maybe your strategy of Nio East is the way to go. I'm back and forth to Valentine quite a bit. Maybe I should start looking around.

21-Sep-21
Way better odds in the Niobrara units.

22-Sep-21
I've been off grid and just saw this. No doubt the Welch Magic continues. Congrats! Wondering how many father-son combos have killed elk in Nebraska, never mind with a bow. You guys rock!

22-Sep-21
Great story, thanks for sharing!

24-Sep-21
?????? Loaded whole?!? I’ve never been so jealous in my life!!

Congrats!

24-Sep-21
Congrats Harlin!!

24-Sep-21
Great bull, pics and story telling. Way to get it done, especially on home turf. The tractor and truck beats being a pack mule any day!

10-Oct-21
Good thread

10-Oct-21
Good job Beav

10-Oct-21
Congrats Harlin

11-Oct-21
Awesome !!! Even my fav, busch light to start off story time :) Congrats, Pete

11-Oct-21
Outstanding! Congrats!!

11-Oct-21
Congratulations!

27-Oct-21
Fun read, great bull. Was waiting for the typical elk story of how he walked around you just out of range - not this time - nice.

27-Oct-21
What a hunt!! Congrats on a beautiful trophy !!

• Sitka Gear