bonehead 11-Sep-21
Dale06 11-Sep-21
spike78 12-Sep-21
Shiloh 27-Sep-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
WV Mountaineer 10-Oct-21
FORESTBOWS 14-Oct-21
07-Sep-21
So I have been running this idea around in my head of taking my family with me on an epic adventure. I would love to do it in Canada or Alaska for most any big game except black bear. I have a daughter who loves to ride horses so it would be nice to pack in on horses or at least have horses at a base camp. My 8 year old loves to fish, that would be a huge plus to have that option. My 6 year old boy enjoys most any activity and I would love to have a relaxing camp area for my wife to hang out in while I hunt. What I have been envisioning is one of the outfits that has a nice base camp on a lake that could be used to hunt goats or moose. I would also like to deal with a family owned outfit if possible. It would be great to spend a long trip with another family. Just curious if you guys had any ideas.

07-Sep-21
What’s your budget, Shiloh?

07-Sep-21
T-Roy……Obviously everyone has a budget, but I haven’t thought much about that ye. I would expect cost to range from $25-50k for the entire family. This is not something that I would do often obviously. At this point maybe even once while all the kids are under my roof. I know that’s a huge spread, but I honestly have no idea.

07-Sep-21
Canada moose from a lake base camp would be my choice. Not all of them will have horses at camp, but I bet you could find one that does. That sounds like an epic adventure all right!!! Hope if comes to fruition for you.

07-Sep-21
I don’t know the answer, but I do know that if you pull this off it will be epic ! Take plenty of pictures, especially of the kids, and plan on sharing it all with us…….

07-Sep-21
Babine Guides? Hunted goats twice with them. 2nd hunt the wife went with me. Very nice cabins on a lake for the wife and kids to stay in while out hunting, fishing is excellent, options for remote cabin stay. Logistic are so simple with Babine......fly into Smithers on a commercial flight, 1-2 hour drive into the lodge and cabins, 1-3 hour drives to most of the areas they hunt. No horses so that's a negative for you.

07-Sep-21
My father has hunted all over the world and when it comes to North America, expect to be disappointed. There are no guarantees with most hunts in North America. Why not look at Africa? Your wife could take a lot of pictures versus just hanging around camp.

My mother is not a big outdoors person but she will never turn down an Africa trip. There is so much to see. I have plenty of great ideas for you over there, should you wish to look at that option.

07-Sep-21
That’s one of the ones that I had on my mind Brett. I might give those guys a call. Seems to have had a lot of good reviews over the years. This would be epic guys. I don’t like a lot of canned vacations that we get roped into, but I feel like we could get our money’s worth with this one and I would definitely document it well if I can pull it off.

07-Sep-21
Sounds epic. I'd go moose. They're dumb enough that the whole family could get in on the action. You can tromp around and be within eyesight and it wouldn't be a problem. (assuming downwind) If some mid day fishing is what you're after you don't really lose out on that many good hunting hours, and chances are you're already in good fishing habitat. Especially if you end up in Northern SK,MB,ONT. You shouldn't have a hard time finding a good moose outfit with outstanding fishing. It also isn't an incredibly physical hunt so that whole family can enjoy it.

If the family wears black sweaters, they're just additional decoys. Canada means you don't have tag issues. I would think it would be doable in your budget. A decent outfitter should be able to give you a price on a package like that. Let us know and keep us in the loop. Sounds amazing!

I'd say the one downside to moose hunting is the weather can sometimes be wet. But that's just the time of year.

07-Sep-21
Moose is definitely one of the animals that I’m interested in. Good info Adam!! Keep the thoughts coming please

07-Sep-21
You said epic, sooo........a NWT Sheep, Moose, Caribou, Wolf combo hunt. Pretty much all those outfitters have base camps on a lake with cabins. Two or three of them use horses. Alternately a BC stone sheep, moose, goat, elk combo hunt. Same story, just find one that'll put you in a base camp with a cabin on water. Most of them use horses to pack in.

07-Sep-21
Shiloh I’m watching this thread as I was thinking the same thing…however I’m probably 4-5 years when my littlest one is 6-7. My oldest (6) is already in the woods with me constantly and may be slightly obsessed like his father hahahahahah

07-Sep-21
I be thinking Goat or Sheep not in the mix. JUST because of the possible physical conditioning usually needed. Personally, I would do a drop camp in Alaska & do a combo Moose, Caribou with some outfit & take a fishing pole for the river/lake by camp (Assuming water). OR, ****what about a Alaska boat/Float hunt for Moose.***** A little better comfort for the wife... I've been fortunate to have been on a few with my adult son (Caribou & Antelope) & 1 with adult bowhunting daughter & one G-son after Hogs & charter fishing.. Then, africa is another horse to ride. Good luck..

07-Sep-21

Bowfinatic 's embedded Photo
Bowfinatic 's embedded Photo
Gana river moose hunt in Canada They have a very nice base camp with hydroelectric generated power Harold has 6 children and his wife and kids usually in camp (this yr an exception) Great views at night of the northern lights Great food in camp Fires by the lake and fishing everyday

07-Sep-21
I’d do Alaska for Sitka. Or a multiple tag hunt for caribou and something else????? Not sure how them being at a lodge while you were flew to base camp factors in. But, it’s my guess there’d be zero shortage of things the main lodge could offer as entertainment while you hunt.

Anyways, that’s a selfish reply. I’d do Alaska and invite them along. Because it’s what I’m working for EVERY single day. We’d get it figured out after we got the yes. And I’m betting there’d a lot of happy people with that arrangement.

07-Sep-21
I’d honestly like to be at a base camp with them. Not separated. Bowfinatic’s pic is exactly what I’d envisioned. Horses are not a must, but would be a huge plus for my daughter. I’ve hunted bou before so would love to try something new. Sheep combo might be a little much. Thinking moose/goat, but still open to other thoughts. Thanks so much for the replies guys. Great ideas. Maybe this will also help someone else who’s considering something similar.

07-Sep-21
Possibly a Greenland musk ox/caribou hunt, with a side trip to Iceland? Not sure if your requirements could be met, but throwing a different potential option out there for you.

08-Sep-21
In Alaska its pretty hard to beat the boat based hunts for the family, maybe sitka deer fishing and an option for a goat.

08-Sep-21
Those are two I have not thought of. I’ve been wanting to do a boat based hunt myself, but might need more freedom for my crew. My boys need room to roam. They are outdoor kids and I’m not sure I could keep them tied down in the confines of a boat. T-Roy …..Iceland was not on my radar. Logistics seem like they would be tough for a young family of 5????

08-Sep-21
Take a look at Afognak Wilderness Lodge in Alaska for a sitka hunt. You can combine the boat and the lodge. Awesome lodge and cabins to come back to at night. But can go out on the nice cabin cruisers during the day to hunt. I've been there many times, including with the whole family. Can go out fishing, sightseeing, duck hunting, etc, But very comfortable to come back to. The sitka hunt won't bust your budget, even with brining the whole family. Even if not with them, I bet you could find something similar.

08-Sep-21
One more thing you may want to consider from a practical standpoint.... A number of "epic" type adventures are fairly early season, when days are extremely long. From a hunting standpoint, that means you are often leaving before daylight, and coming back in well after dark. So from a true "family" standpoint...the family is probably doing their thing without you, which may take away from the whole idea of your trip. A much later in the year hunt, when days are much shorter, would be more conducive to having the entire family spending time together. We've done a number of family trips to Africa (their winter is our summer), so get lots and lots of family time. New Zealand (if you can ever travel their again) is another good option. And a great place to spend with family. And won't bust the budget, even with the airfare.

08-Sep-21
Good idea quick draw. I had thought about mentioning that ideally I would like to do something during the late summer. I don’t think I could get my wife to Africa regardless of how nice it might be. We might just have to miss some school. Would a goat hunt or sheep hunt be an option in late July or early August??

09-Sep-21
Just my personal opinion here..... but I'd never do a sheep hunt or goat hunt as a "family" trip. To me, the point of a family trip is, well, to spend time with family in a unique setting. On a sheep hunt, you'll likely packout out and never see them until you return days later. Likely the same with a goat. So if you're doing this to spend some time with family, I'd pick something else. Sheep and goat hunts are the ultimate "lonely" hunts, in that you are packing into their territory with as little noise possible. Those two would be at the bottom of my list for a family adventure. For late summer, moose is out. You might take a serious look at an early season caribou hunt, whether Alaska or Canada. You could likely find one where you are hunting right out of base camp, won't bust the budget, and kids might not be back in school yet.

10-Sep-21
I've never been there so this is not an endorsement, but you might check out Three Forks Ranch Lodge/Resort. It's in Northern Colorado near the Wy border and has everything you've expressed interest in except the location.

There are probably a number of similar lodges/resorts around the US and Canada.

11-Sep-21
just got back from Greenland tonight. Great hunt but would not recommend for kids.To0k mine to Africa and had a blast

11-Sep-21
Take them to South Africa. You can arrow half dozen critters. A family person can be in blind with you in most cases. Lots of wild life to see there. Lots of side trips available for you and family. You’ll stay in a place with beds, hot showers, and great food.

12-Sep-21
I’m guessing something that would involve a ground blind as you can have the kids in it to watch and not have to walk them up mountains and such.

27-Sep-21
What about New Foundland for moose. Any thoughts on that???

10-Oct-21
Good thread

10-Oct-21
What did you decide Shiloh?

14-Oct-21
We could fill all those wants here in Colorado Flattopsadventures.com

• Sitka Gear