Dale06 09-Sep-21
midwest 10-Sep-21
Hank_S 10-Sep-21
LUNG$HOT 11-Sep-21
WV Mountaineer 11-Sep-21
Paul@thefort 11-Sep-21
09-Sep-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
this wallow has some water but it most likely will be dry when I return. Sat here for 5 evenings, no elk came.
this wallow has some water but it most likely will be dry when I return. Sat here for 5 evenings, no elk came.
The current and on going heat wave in Colorado, even at 10,500 ft, forced me to come out of the elk woods for a week or so until it cools down. The elk are responding by not being vocal, and going in and coming out of thicker cover, a lot later than normal and changing their patterns. Where I am hunting the streams are not flowing at elevation, the wallows have dried up, and I have to hike 500 yards to find water for camp and that is just a little water seep. The forecast does not predict cooler weather for the next 10 days or so.

I will surely go back for the last 10 days or so regardless of weather as I left my solo camp. I am sure many of you are experiencing the same situation.

09-Sep-21
Pretty much the same here in SW MT. Man, the smoke is absolutely brutal here too. I think that's having an effect on them also. How is it in your neck of the woods Paul?

09-Sep-21
There was plenty of water, and a few elk, in the drainage I was hunting. Unfortunately, there was more hunters than elk. That fact forced me out more than the hot weather did.

Matt

09-Sep-21
I'm not an elk wallow expert, but could take a shovel and dig out the hole to get some water to form??

09-Sep-21
If the elk have moved on to where there is more water, I doubt digging out a wallow is going to bring them back.

Matt

09-Sep-21
I hear you Paul......tons of water in my spot but the fresh elk sign was 10% of past years. Saw huge tracks on the trail leaving the drainage....might have been a moose but looked like elk. The elk were coming out after dark and laying down in the cool tall grass along the creek bottom. The wallows were getting hit at night. Come first light not an elk in any of those spots. Should be some help coming this weekend in terms of wet and cooler temps. I think the last week of pumpkin head season....err...muzzleloader, will be better.

09-Sep-21

and this sow bear came by with her two cubs, at 40 yards past my solo camp on Sept 3, 9 am.
and this sow bear came by with her two cubs, at 40 yards past my solo camp on Sept 3, 9 am.
JL, my best wallow has no water and digging down will not help that. The other wallow has some water and mud but seems to be drying up and if the elk have moved off, I know not where. I can only hope when I get back a few new elk will be in area as the rut starts around Sept 17th. There are usually some cow and calf combos, if there is water in the area, but for 9 days, I did not see any, only 2 spikes, one 4 bull. No doubt, the warmth, and lack of moisture, has changed up things in this area.

09-Sep-21
Maybe you will tag one later. Good luck

09-Sep-21
Hope it cools off and you get into some elk. Good luck!

10-Sep-21
Best of luck, Paul. I think you're making a good decision.

10-Sep-21
I've experienced much the same elk activity (or lack of activity) in the area that I am hunting. Although, I am going back Sunday...can't stand not being there!

11-Sep-21
This is by far the hottest weather I’ve ever hunted In Colorado. Called in 1 bull who did bugle the first day, Sept 5. A smallish 5. My 16 yr old son got caught drawing back at 12 yards. We’ve jumped several elk already bedded by 8/9am. Called is a set, 1 spike and a smallish 4 yesterday but they came in silent. Had a frontal @40 but definitely passed on that. Been smoky and hot. Rough year. North west-ish Colorado.

11-Sep-21
I’d say there will be an elk die up there in the next three weeks. Good luck.

11-Sep-21
According to Denver Weather, this is the 3rd hottest summer on record in Colorado.

• Sitka Gear