Buffalo1 13-Sep-21
EIStone 13-Sep-21
butcherboy 13-Sep-21
Oryx35 14-Sep-21
Pat Lefemine 15-Sep-21
Oryx35 15-Sep-21
bad karma 15-Sep-21
12-Sep-21
My old Nikon ProStaff 440 works well, but I've decided it's time to upgrade to a rangefinder with angle compensation before it costs me an opportunity. Based on the old threads Sig seems to be the bowsite favorite followed closely by Vortex and Leupold. Angle compensation, all weather performance--including below freezing, and a red display are the most important factors to me. I'm mostly a bowhunter, and have never shot more than 400 yards with a rifle.

Based on the VIP warranty and the fact that they advertise a working temperature range (unlike the other major brands) I decided to pick up a Vortex Ranger 1800. Within minutes of pulling it out of the package it was clear to me that it was both considerably slower and less likely to provide a range than my 10+ year old Nikon. It's on its way back to the vendor. So, the question for the crowd is do I next look at a Sig Kilo1600 or some form of Leupold? I feel like I've heard more cold temperature issues out of the Leupold crowd, but I'd like more input on both. Any horror stories?

12-Sep-21
Nothing wrong with angle compensation, but doubt it’s necessary unless you are shooting real long range at sharp up or down angles.

12-Sep-21
SIG

12-Sep-21
Dale, everyone has their own definitions and limits, but I'm comfortable out to 60 yards under the right conditions. At that distance, a 20 degree slope would cut yardage by 3.6 yards. With an arrow moving at 280 fps I believe that would result in a little over 9 inches of drop if the wrong yardage was used. At 25 yards and 45 degree slope, it would be a difference of 7.3 yards, roughly 7 inches of drop. In either case, I would probably cut a few yards instinctively and reduce the error, but it's still potentially significant.

The potential for a mountain lion hunt this fall, likely more similar to the second example, is what has me thinking about angle compensation. Perhaps I just borrow my brothers Leupold for this hunt and get some hands on experience with it.

12-Sep-21
Oryx35, good points. I’m a 40+ yard shooter with perfect conditions. I’m not a 60 yard shooter at all.

12-Sep-21
A good rangefinder/bino combination is worth a lot to me. But then I hunt out west so it gets used a lot.

12-Sep-21
What's slow about your vortex 1800? I just got one that I've been using this season. First range finder so I have nothing to compare it to. Mine gives me ranges no problem. Furthest I've been able to range is 1200yards.

13-Sep-21
I have Sig Kilo1800BDX. Upgrade from Leupold Full Draw, which never gave me 1 problem in 7 years, cause I wanted a red display. The Sig is fast. Seems like the yardage is displayed before even done pushing the button.

13-Sep-21
Leupold Full Draw 4

13-Sep-21
I have used Leupold and Bushnell brands for years for both archery and golf. No issues with either brand.

13-Sep-21
I use a leopold for years and like it alot. One thing I like the most is that the cross hairs and read outs are red instead of black and are easier to see in low light.

13-Sep-21
My next RF is going to be between a Sig or a Maven

14-Sep-21
Soccern, the Vortex seems to need some calculation time between trigger and readout. Whereas, my old Nikon reads pretty much instantly. The difference is likely less then a second, but it's surprisingly noticeable when you're used to instant results.

15-Sep-21
I just pulled out my Leupold 1000 TBR for the season and the internal red display is so faint it’s unusable. Looked the condition up online and tons of reports about the same issue.

Seems the LED has a shelf life according to the guys that contacted Leupold.

Sorry, that’s unacceptable. My Nikon is 20 years old and works great. I got 6 years out of my Leupold.

Looking at a Kilo now.

15-Sep-21
Absolutely agreed Pat. I was shocked to see that Leupold has one of the shortest rangefinder warranties in the industry. Pretty crazy considering the reputation they have for standing behind their products.

Has anyone had LED issues with the Kilo?

15-Sep-21
I have a sig kilo. It is good enough that I gave my Leica to my son, and my Leica, an older one, is a magnificent rangefinder. Pretty good when you get the 2nd best and it's from Leica....

• Sitka Gear