GhostBird 13-Sep-21
Matte 13-Sep-21
Pat Lefemine 13-Sep-21
Knife2sharp 13-Sep-21
Grey Ghost 13-Sep-21
Aspen Ghost 13-Sep-21
GhostBird 13-Sep-21
12-Sep-21
I finally bit the bullet and have an ebike being shipped. Got a BAKCOU Flatlander from Ebike John. A couple more questions...

Does any one have any experience with hauling your bike using a pickup truck tailgate pad and placing the front fork over the tailgate? Will most likely get a hitch carrier at some point, but was wondering about tailgate pads for short trips vs. just laying the bike down in the bed. Either way the bike would be strapped down.

How is the factory headlight for riding in the dark? Bright enough? Do you use a headlamp in addition to the factory light or an additional battery operated light attached to the bike?

Thanks for any replies... there is a wealth of information to be gained from you Bowsiters.

12-Sep-21
I considered using one of those tailgate pads, but after lifting my wife's and my 75 pound Bakou Mules in and out of my pickup bed a few times, I decided that wasn't for me. So, I bought the hitch carrier pictured above. It's so much easier, and allows me to use the bed for other gear.

I use both a headlamp and the factory headlight when riding in the dark. The headlight would probably be adequate by itself, but I like to look around at the surroundings while riding.

Matt

12-Sep-21

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Forgot the pic...

13-Sep-21
Thanks for the responses guys... anybody actually try a tailgate pad?

13-Sep-21
I have used a tailgate pad. I quit that and now I just put it in my truck vertical and put the kickstand down. Strap it over the top and leave it vertical. It's stupid heavy and a pain in the ass every time. Especially with my bigger truck where it's a higher lift. I'll be going hitch mount soon. I could see guy getting hurt trying to lift it in and out plus you lose all the storage space in the truck bed.

13-Sep-21
Thanks...

13-Sep-21
What is the ebike craze about. Are they not considered motorized?

13-Sep-21
The headlight is plenty bright for driving in the dark. But most of the time I just use my headlamp. Both will work fine, but I prefer the headlamp since when you make turns you turn your head first into a turn to light your way, the handle bar mount is just fixed in a forward position.

13-Sep-21
Matte, no. Do an internet search on 'e-bike classes'.

13-Sep-21
E-bikes are a quiet, healthy, and environmentally safer, alternative to ATV/UTVs, IMO. If under 750W, they are considered the same as regular mountain bikes with respect to allowable uses in many areas. The electric assist makes them easier to ride for long distances, or on hilly terrain, while burning less effort and energy. However, they don't magically turn an out-of-shape hunter into a mountain climbing beast. They still require a relatively fit rider, with good balance and biking skills, especially on rough terrain.

On my trophy elk unit hunt last year, I used mine to cover 3-5 miles every morning on 2-tracks that most guys use ATVs on. I routinely rode within easy rifle ranges of elk herds that would spook badly if they heard an approaching ATV from over a mile away.

They also can be used for packing animals out. My first experience with them was watching two 65-plus year old men pack out hind quarters of a large bull elk on their e-bikes. They covered the 4 mile distance in a fraction of the time it took me to carry my load out on foot.

Matt

13-Sep-21
Healthy? Are they GMO free and gluten free too? LOL

13-Sep-21
Thanks guys... Pat, good point, the headlamp makes sense to see around turns before making them.

• Sitka Gear