spike78 19-Sep-21
wvfarrier 19-Sep-21
Pat Lefemine 19-Sep-21
Ursman 19-Sep-21
wvfarrier 19-Sep-21
Helgermite 20-Sep-21
Brantman 20-Sep-21
13-Sep-21
I’m gonna hunt NY’s early bear season that opens Saturday. I’m hunting next to a swamp and it’s been so wet and warm this summer that the mosquitoes are out in force.

Anyone used a thermacell in the stand while bear hunting? I’ve never really used one before except in a blind once and I was choking on the vapor?

Any tips? Concern about scent?

Thanks

13-Sep-21
My wife just ordered a refill pack with butane bottles and earth scent pads. I pasted some comments from amazon regarding the earth scent pads with the keyword "treestand"

Joe G 5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Home or Field Use Reviewed in the United States on October 11, 2017 Verified Purchase I bought this to use while bowhunting in the early Fall. We have a terrible amount of mosquitos here that time of year. Normally even with DEET, you get eaten. I bought this in hopes of keeping the mosquitos at bay. I was shocked by how well this product works. The mosquitos literally formed a cloud around my head prior to turning this on. I turned on the Thermocell and it was like I was in a force field. The best part is it had zero effect on the game around my tree stand. I still ended up having white tailed deer walk directly underneath my stand while this unit was running. It works so well, we bought a second unit for my wife to use at home. We use one on our back porch too to keep the mosquitos away. The refills last about 3 or 4 days running them about 45 minutes per day. I turn ours on and let it run for 10 minutes or so and shut it off and turn it back on if the bugs get bad. Excellent product! 32 people found this helpful Helpful Report abuse VAS Custom Rods 5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing better at keeping bugs away in the tree stand Reviewed in the United States on January 14, 2018 Verified Purchase Nothing better at keeping bugs away in the tree stand. Deer do not smell it or don't care about it, during bow season I shot a deer at 10 yards while my thermacell was running. Helpful Report abuse ron2714 5.0 out of 5 stars like the earth scent for hunting Reviewed in the United States on June 19, 2016 Verified Purchase Works well. Used in a tree stand in Manitoba, Canada, on a successful spring bear hunt. Never got bit, like the earth scent for hunting. Smells like dirt, more natural than the regular. Helpful Report abuse Sam Stratton 5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for those warm hunts. Reviewed in the United States on October 25, 2016 Verified Purchase This works GREAT for keeping mosquitos and other bugs away!!!! I had bugs buzzing me in my tree stand, started this and was not bothered again. Helpful Report abuse Billy 5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product Reviewed in the United States on June 20, 2013 Verified Purchase Great for hunting. I've had several deer come very close to my tree stand while using this product. The value pack is much cheaper on Amazon than it is at B&M stores. One person found this helpful Helpful Report abuse James 4.0 out of 5 stars Mosquito proof your tree stand. Reviewed in the United States on December 3, 2019 Verified Purchase Great for early season Bow Hunting. Helpful Report abuse Gary 5.0 out of 5 stars A must have in a tree stand Reviewed in the United States on October 31, 2018 I never heard of these things a week ago; after donating a pint of blood to the misqueto population another hunter suggested this. I did buy the unit from a local store because I needed it now, but these refills keep them off me. Every once in a while I get one who get thru, but after that first evening in the stand these things are worth every penny. Helpful Report abuse joseph 5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me Reviewed in the United States on September 12, 2015 This allows me to be where someone without one couldn't go. I can hunt swampy areas where mosquitoes will carry you out of the tree stand. I swear by it. Have killed deer with it burning, without being eatin alive. Helpful Report abuse

Sponsored Questions? Get fast answers from reviewers What do you want to know about Thermacell Earth Scent Mosquito Repellent 48-Hour Refill; Dirt Scent Used to Mask Human Odor; Scent Not Recommended for Patio Use; Includes 4 Fuel Cartridges & 12 Scented Repellent Mats? Ask See all 43 answered questions Need customer service? Click here ‹ See all details for Thermacell Earth Scent Mosquito Repellent 48-Hour Refill; Dirt Scent...

13-Sep-21

Chuckster's Link
This is what I just got. You can read some reviews. The earth scent can gag you a little if you breathe too much in. Good Luck.

13-Sep-21
Required equipment

13-Sep-21
i would rather sit without my bow and hold a thermacell (at least I could watch the bears) than hunt without one in the spring in Canada. One of the very few products in the world that under-promises and over-delivers

13-Sep-21
killed 2 bears over bait using thermacell one in Ontario, and one in Quebec, it didn't seem to deter them at all.

13-Sep-21
I wouldn’t waste my time setting my bait without a thermacell.

13-Sep-21
Thanks guys, good to know.

Where do you place the unit? Above you or below? Upwind?

13-Sep-21
Hope you get a nice bear. I use thermacell whenever needed hunting bear.

13-Sep-21
They are a life saver. I always use mine on the bear stand

13-Sep-21
I place one below my seat and another upwind if I can. Yes, I use two and it really works. Even tracking bears I'll wear it on my belt and it still works amazingly well.

13-Sep-21
Im with rattling junkie. I use 2. One usually clipped to the stand, and one clipped to my pack about head high hanging in the tree. Ive never used the earth scent, just the regular pads. Ive never had problems the 2 times ive bear hunted.

Thermacell will not help with the biting flies though.

13-Sep-21
I used 2 in Manitoba. Can't imagine what it was like before Thermacell.

13-Sep-21
Turn it on before you get on your stand. It will take about 10 minutes to start working. I put mine on the floor of the Treestand. If the mosquitoes are really that bad you may need 2 .

13-Sep-21
Pat We started using a Thermacell in '03 and won't go to a bear stand without it.

Millie and I each take 2 thermacells to the stand every time we hunt (or fish). While we might not need the second unit we have had one fail in the the back up saved the day.

We've typically hung the unit on the upwind side of the stand using a small section of paracord.

The odor is nothing to worry about.

13-Sep-21
I always use a thermacell bear hunting. Never had a problem ... Agree with Bou they really do "over deliver"

13-Sep-21
Dang....guess Ive missed the train. Ive never used one in the woods for fear it would deter the critters. We use them around the house and when camping tho

13-Sep-21
Likewise.....I too used one on my last bear hunt in Manitoba. The stand was next to a swamp bottom. It would have been miserable without one. The bears didn't mind. Tracking the bear was tough as you couldn't open your mouth with sucking in a skeeter.

13-Sep-21
I used one hog hunting many times and it never made any difference in whether I saw hogs or not that I could tell. Hogs are more fractious than anything I’ve ever hunted when it comes to scent.

13-Sep-21
Tip …. Use two or three and a lot of refills

13-Sep-21
One of the best things about them is, they have a built in sensor that lets you know within 5 seconds that your butane cylinder is out of fuel.

The mosquitoes start chewing on you again, until you replace the cylinder…

13-Sep-21
I could not have sat in a stand in Quebec without it. I killed my bear at 8 yards and if he smelled it he never acted like it. Maybe the smell of it doesn't bother bears as 14 other guys in camp used them and shot theirs with a Thermocell going to. Like you though I can smell it luckily the black flies and mosquitos do too!

13-Sep-21
FWIW Pat I had mine on my backpack running on Labor Day when we were moving a couple stands and we walked up on a mother and cub and a solo boar within 40 yards before they noticed us. Wind was not 100% in our favor either. And the next day Tuesday morning I had it on clipped to my bag in the tree and mother and cub walked under me and never batted an eye until she got into my wind and off they went

13-Sep-21
Like most have said, run 2 if the bugs are bad. If a fairly calm wind, below you somewhat on the upwind side because the “smoke” will rise and ride the light air currents. If a steady breeze, try to position it upwind so the smoke (scent) drifts across you. Like Rick stated, I use some string or cord along with the pouch clip to give you a wide range of options for securing (hanging) it in the most desirable location. Remember to get plenty of replacements as you will regret running out when it’s needed most.

14-Sep-21
Get the Termacell, and plenty of refills.

Spring turkey, I lay it on the ground next to me.

Bow hunting, I hang it on my pack, which is hanging on a hook to my left.

14-Sep-21

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Don’t hesitate…. Also pick up this stuff… no better repellent IMO between the thermocell and Watkins cream nothing will bite you

14-Sep-21

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
I highly doubt even if you didn’t have a Thermacell that you could fool a bears nose anyway so I wouldn’t worry about it. I sprayed myself with deet as the skeeters are killer in MA this year and had this bear 12-15 yards in front of me and I was sitting on the ground turkey style.

14-Sep-21

GhostBird's embedded Photo
GhostBird's embedded Photo
I've killed two bears while running 2 thermacells. Two units work much better than one. I picked up a couple of these screw in holders made to mount a thermacell. They work great, don't remember where I got them.

14-Sep-21
Hunting Canada in the spring I only need to fire it up the last 30 minutes of hunt. Yes use it

14-Sep-21
Thermacell works in an open air environment but Ozone doesn't??

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

14-Sep-21
I used thermo cells in Ak and Canada while on baited bear hunts. Killed several black bears and a brown bear. Would not hunt without one, if there are mosquitoes.

14-Sep-21
I would never be without one. I actually did a test and sat in the stand sans thermacell and was covered up in seconds. Lit the bugger and within 5-10 minutes was black fly free! Incredible results.Have never been without one and a back up ever since.

14-Sep-21
What Bou'bound said,

14-Sep-21
I never go without a thermacell into the bear stand

14-Sep-21
I always set mine flat on the platform of my stand. Never a problem. Neither do I ever concern myself about scent because, if they can smell the Thermacell, they can smell me, too.

14-Sep-21
Shut has it right. Watkins and thermacell. An sit with just a t-shirt and shorts if necessary.

15-Sep-21
Yup, I never hunt without one in the early season. I use a small bungee cord and attach it to the upright seat post of my stand. - I used to place it on the platform until I accidentally kicked it off once.

We use them during our archery moose hunts also.

I've only used the original pads, never tried the scented ones.

I agree with whoever said not to worry about the Thermacell scent, if they bust you because of that, they likely would have busted you anyway.

We also keep headnets in our packs for tracking. Nothing worse than inhaling bugs!

15-Sep-21
I've shot bear, deer, and hogs with one burning right next to me. Early season sucks and you'd be swatting bugs anyway if you didn't have one. Guys on here have pretty much said everything about them. Thermacell should pay you for the free advertisement. Great product.

18-Sep-21
You guys weren’t kidding. Those things are awesome. Got hammered until I turned it on, sat for five hours, not one bite.

19-Sep-21
Another thought. I always set a thermacell on a bear’s chest when I start to gut or field dress the animal. I move it according to the wind as I work on the animal. Works great.

19-Sep-21
To piggy-back on Grape's post about using thermacell while tracking or dressing bears, we keep one fired up in the Guide's ATV or truck while he puts hunters out or is picking them up. It helps those 15-20 minutes sits in the midst of a swamp or bog more tolerable.

19-Sep-21
Pat no bear bites either?

19-Sep-21

wvfarrier's embedded Photo
wvfarrier's embedded Photo
Well, after reading this thread last week I decided to give it a try. Bear didnt seem to notice.

19-Sep-21
No spike. NY doesn’t allow baiting and it’s a crapshoot here. I’ve got several bears on cam but mostly nocturnal.

19-Sep-21
Does it repell moths?

19-Sep-21
No and also doesnt work against colicoides (biting gnats)

20-Sep-21
I believe the also do work on black flies that are technically biting gnats (buffalo gnats).

20-Sep-21
ive used one when i went up to maine bear hunting bear was more attracted to the donuts than to the thermacell smell . i wouldnt hunt without one ,used one also sika deer hunting in maryland eastern shore again no problem

• Sitka Gear