Mule Power 25-Nov-22
SteveBNY 25-Nov-22
Jaquomo 25-Nov-22
RT 25-Nov-22
c3 26-Nov-22
Candor 26-Nov-22
Tradmike 26-Nov-22
13-Sep-21
My old smoker finally died. I would like to hear recommendations on a open front propane or electric vs pellet smoker vs ceramic. I smoke ribs, roast and sausage. I would like it to hold 25 lbs of sausage.

13-Sep-21
I'm lazy I love my electric Master built but I'm no purist.I had poor results trying a Bluetooth smoker the app was crappy

13-Sep-21
I have a Green Mountain pellet smoker. Love the damn thing!

13-Sep-21
I also have an electric. Had a propane but found the electric keeps a steadier temp.

13-Sep-21
I run a Rec Tec 590 pellet smoker, changed my life! Top quality made in GA.

13-Sep-21
Good timing. I’m considering a pellet smoker. I have two masterbuilt electrics and they work ok, they just don’t put out enough smoke so no smoke ring and very poor/nonexistent bark.

They are easy and consistent so that’s a plus.

13-Sep-21
I’ve used a Bradley for a number of years. Not sure it will meet your capacity requirements. The wood wafers that you use in it are a bit spendy but it makes great food and is easy to operate.

13-Sep-21
Yoder Smoker all the way.

13-Sep-21
This is timely. My buddy got the Pit Boss 1230 combo pellet/propane smoker/grill about a years ago. He loves it, and has produced some delicious results. He says he rarely uses the propane/grill side. I doubt he can smoke 25# of meat on the pellet side, though.

Matt

I'd love to one up him, if there is a better option at a similar price tag. ;-)

Matt

13-Sep-21
My Green Mountain pellet grill for ribs, butt, and brisket. Electric for sausage and fish.

A Weber kettle grill does fantastic rib, butt, and brisket if I have the time to babysit. It's hard to beat charcoal and wood.

13-Sep-21
I’ve been trying since January to get a Campchef woodwind 36. Finally came back in stock and when I went to order it was already out of stock!

13-Sep-21
A barrel smoker is hard to beat. I like mine.

I own a pit boss pellet smoker and grill combo. It’s does decent for smoking as well.

I also have a ceramic egg grill. It’s the best of both all in one. I can sear my steaks at 650 degrees like butter. But, I can smoke anything I want as low as 150 degrees.

I really like the barrel grill too.

13-Sep-21
Big Green Egg for me

13-Sep-21
Rectec all the way

13-Sep-21
Love my Green Mountain. I previously had a propane Smoke Hollow smoker. No comparison. Everything we have made on the GMG has been excellent.

13-Sep-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
FWIW....I have a spiffy electric one still NIB sitting in the shed. However my "go to" smoker for the last 15 years or so has been this little electric barrel smoker. It's not fancy but it is simple to use which is a plus for me. I have two of them....one north and one south. I used it last week on this chunk of pork. I'll be using it again in the next day or so on some fresh salmon. You can find them pretty cheap on craigslist or FB market place.

13-Sep-21
We have a Kamado Joe Classic grill/smoker and we love it. Beats any other grill or smoker we’ve ever had. Probably wouldn’t have the capacity you’re looking for but they do make an XL model that may. It’s amazing to me the way that thing will hold a steady temp.

13-Sep-21
Big green egg here… ribs, pulled pork, chickens, turkey, Christmas prime rib the list goes on. Not sure you could do 25# of meat on it but if you have the time to get it going lump charcoal and the egg is my go to

13-Sep-21
Pat if you'll soak those pellets you'll get good smoke in that electric smoker

13-Sep-21
I have a Yoder. No complaints so far

15-Sep-21
I have a Traeger 34. Have had it a month. It is a magnificent cooking device. Next trick, smoking a hind quarter from a pig....

There are a lot of good ones out there. Find one that fits your needs. I needed a fair bit of surface area while my girlfriend wanted a tinier one.

15-Sep-21
Get the best, get a CookShack.

16-Sep-21
Cookshack is the Reconyx of smokers, works great, expensive, reliable. I’ve had the same one for 10 years- Amerique 066. Made in Georgia great customer service. Put meat in- Set it and forget it.

16-Sep-21
Rec Tec 700rt is the Cadillac if you want to spend $1200.

Z Grills makes some nice ones for half that. Go for a PID controller. They have one double walled model I’m waiting for a sale on. 700D4E

16-Sep-21
Google Grilla Grill they make high quality pellet smokers at a good price point.

16-Sep-21
It's a Yoder Loaded Wichita here. it's an offset stick smoker built like a tank.

16-Sep-21
Z-grill here (from Sam's)

So far I love it - its more like an oven with bursts of smoke the way it works (as I see it so far)

16-Sep-21

Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Bradley 6 shelf electric works like a champ! May not compete with a true wood burning smoker but I get great results and the set and forget is invaluable to me. You could get 25lbs of sausage in it if laying them down(not hanging).

16-Sep-21
My Primo XL Oval is the BOMB!!

16-Sep-21

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
“Smoker Recommendation” my Dad was a smoker and if he was alive he would recommend Camel unfiltered.

16-Sep-21
Bradley 6 shelf here (I actually have 2). They get a little funky to deal with in the cold, but as mentioned I can do around 32 pounds of summer sausage at a time. etc. Little modification and I can do 20 racks of jerky at a time. The only real issue is inconsistent heat, it is hottest low and back. So if you are doing a jerky for example you need to rotate the jerky. Usually move the bottom rack to top and top to bottom.

16-Sep-21
I have a 6 shelf digital Bradley. Had some heating element issues but it does a good job. I’m ready to move up to a pellet grill though and use wood heat instead of electric.

17-Sep-21

craig's embedded Photo
craig's embedded Photo
Made this last year. Works awesome.

17-Sep-21

craig's embedded Photo
craig's embedded Photo

17-Sep-21
I've been using the same little electric smoker for 25 years. As basic as can be, just plug it in. I got tired of waiting for it to die so i could get a bigger one and bought an Oklahoma Joes Bandera, charcoal/wood. It too is basic by todays smoker standards, but that's more me, basic, minimalist. Used it once a couple weeks ago. It holds twice what my other one does. I'll use the Bandera for bigger loads and the electric for smaller stuff.

18-Sep-21
No wheels on your bow either Jeff? ;-)

18-Sep-21
all of them work great. from the cheaper ones to the high end ones. you just need to decide what features you want and go from there. If I were to buy a new one I would stick with a pellet grill and I would probably go with Green Mountain or Pit Boss.

19-Sep-21
I've owned a Rec Tec for the past 10 or so years. Zero problems and maintains a temp +/-1 degree.

20-Sep-21
Russell that thing has to be wore out! Wanna sell it? Lol

21-Sep-21
Kamado Joe or big green egg

04-Nov-22

Bowman's Link
2022 upgraded Z Grills 700D4E Pellet Grills will be a great choice. It’s a pellet grill that comes full of options that may build your cookery expertise higher. The 700D4E operates at a temperature variety of one hundred eighty to a temperature of 450 degrees. It has a digital controller and stainless-steel elements like a cookery chamber lid for higher heat retention and even comes with a grill cowl. This grill includes 2 temperature probes to observe the cookery method and show the meat’s internal temperature right the controller {LCD|liquid crystal show|LCD|digital display|alphanumeric display} display. You can get the latest sale here: https://www.zgrills.com/pages/special-offers

04-Nov-22
MasterBuilt electric here. Easy to operate. Happy with the results. Don't use it often enough to justify a higher price model.

04-Nov-22
Green Mountain Grill for me too. Sounds like there’s a lot of good options out there, and I can’t speak for them, but the GMG has been fantastic for me, seems just as good quality wise as a traeger but seems to cost a good deal less. Attachments/accessories are very affordable too

04-Nov-22

Three Fingers's Link
I too recommend Cookshack. I have done everything from ribs to meatsticks. Lots of smoke with very little wood. Set it and forget it.

04-Nov-22
I have an Oklahoma Joe Deluxe pellet.

I like it but it blows a little ash around in smoke chamber that lands on food.

Still have my cheap old stick burner but haven't used it since summer 21.

04-Nov-22
I want to be able to slow cold smoke fish. I'm gonna put an upright freezer on a stand with completely separate fire box flu piped into the bottom of freezer with danped flu piped out the top of freezer. Something I've always wanted to do.

04-Nov-22
I have 4 smokers. If you are wanting the best 'true' smoked end product then get a charcoal/wood smoker (drum, bullet, offset etc) I have a pit boss pellet that I do my summer sausage in the winter with. For convenience you can't beat it but you will never get near the smokey flavor you will with charcoal and wood. Yes it just rolls the smoke but the pellets burn so clean that it doesn't really flavor the meat. I've tried every trick there is including adding a smoke tube and i still can't get the smoke flavor so I've relegated it to summer sausage. If your looking for a set, forget, walkway type of smoking then the better alternative is propane with wood chips. Still not the level of wood/charcoal but better results than the pellets. I do my own bacon to and after smoking those pork bellies over hickory chunks my whole place smells like a smokehouse every time I fry some up.

04-Nov-22
Duvall x 10

06-Nov-22
I build my own. That way you get exactly what you want

08-Nov-22
RecTec. Only problem is I don't have any sense of accomplishment after cooking. It is borderline too easy. I used to feel like cooking was doing something. Seriously....it leaves me feeling hollow. But I like it. Reminds me of my youthful flings.

I love my ceramic grill (PrimosXL oval) but it is a relatively a pain in the ass when compared to the RecTec.

08-Nov-22

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Candor X2. My Rec Teq is pellet grill perfection. Built like a tank too. No questions 6 year horn to hoof warranty. No temp fluctuations at all. For me the sense of accomplishment is learning new techniques and recipes. Id rather be playing with cook times and temps and new recipes than dealing with temp spikes and controller errors. Or worse a problem and a lack of customer service response. And as far as getting enough smoke… that’s also a bit of a learning curve. The hotter the temp the faster and cleaner the pellets burn. If you want smoke don’t exceed 225. If you want more smoke ring and flavor go with 180 for the first hour. You’ll get all you want. I did a tri tip a week ago like that and it was actually too smokey.

The friend who pointed me toward Rec Teq has a monster stick burner. As in tow behind the truck to pit master competitions. He knows his stuff. I’m glad I listened to him. With some tips from him I’m cranking out food just as good as his custom stick burner.

08-Nov-22
pav - Is your electric Masterbuilt, the "Analog Electric Smoker" model?... Thanks...

24-Nov-22
Good stuff

24-Nov-22
I have two Masterbuilts and they are very good for a standalone smoker. Masterbuilt customer service is off-the-charts good. Not good for cold smoking, though. But after smoking a turkey on my brother-in-laws Rec teq yesterday, I ordered one for myself. Amazing unit at a better price than the similar Traeger.

24-Nov-22
Which recteq did you order?

25-Nov-22

Yeah what model Lou?

Did this bad boy on the Rec Teq 700 yesterday. I’m always worried about dry turkey because it’s terrible. I could not believe how juicy and tender it was. Way beyond my expectations. I’m not a dark meat eater but even the drumsticks were really good.

25-Nov-22
A lot of the recommendation's above are great for doing meals, but are far from a good choice for doing batches of summer sausage, snack sticks etc. Need a box you can hang them in. Several good electric from $300 to $3000+ for a large insulated model. Also a couple pellet models available as well. Owned them all - only use an electric now you put wood chips in a pan near the burner.

25-Nov-22
I ordered the RT 340. We dont do hanging sausage sticks and do our jerky in the dehydrator before finishing in the smoker. The 340 looks like the perfect size for our applications. Glad to see others are liking theirs!

25-Nov-22
I ordered one of those Mule, plus some accessories. Good sale today.

26-Nov-22

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
I have a Camp Chef SGX 36. It's a high quality piece of kit, but like Duvall and WVMountainer said way earlier in the thread, it really doesn't make the meat smokey tasting. It's great for burgers, steaks, stealhead and thing's like tritips, but I haven't been impressed with longer slow cooked stuff. Our Thanksgiving turkey I tried looked great, but was downright awful.

I will attribute most of the issue to me being lazy and not really prepping things well. Because it's so easy to turn on and get to temp, it seems like just throwing any old thing on there will be good and that hasn't been my experience.

I would suggest trying your style of smoking on someone else's pellet grill before buying. Just my $0.02

Cheers, Pete

26-Nov-22
The longer the cook the more a ceramic grill differentiates itself, IMO. Simply because of heat loss and air movement. There is no perfect grill. I love my RecTec, but it cannot compete with the Primos/Egg/Kamodo for a looooooong cook. But is a dang sight easier and more enjoyable.

26-Nov-22
Just bought a grilla Silverback. Made in Holland, Michigan.

• Sitka Gear