Pete In Fairbanks 19-Sep-21
TEmbry 22-Sep-21
Mule Power 22-Sep-21
Pete In Fairbanks 22-Sep-21
Bou'bound 22-Sep-21
BGbasbhat 22-Sep-21
Nick Muche 22-Sep-21
18-Sep-21
I’ll be in the Brooks Sept 24 - Oct 2. I have a KUIU rain suit; my outfitter suggested taking a Helly Hansen type suit in addition, which I have. The HH is heavy and I’m right on the edge weight wise…would y’all take both? Thanks!

19-Sep-21
Which KUIU do you have? If the Yukon, I wouldn’t take the HH. If Chugach then I’d take the HH.

19-Sep-21
Yes the Yukon is great if that’s what you have.

What do you mean near weight edge wise??

19-Sep-21
Yukon top notch and rugged

19-Sep-21
Take a snow shovel....! I guided in the Brooks Range for many years. I always planned to be done and headed south no later than Sept 15 to avoid being snowed on, resulting in problematic flying.

Pete AK Master Guide #79 (retired!)

19-Sep-21
Take a snow shovel....! I guided in the Brooks Range for many years. I always planned to be done and headed south no later than Sept 15 to avoid being snowed on, resulting in problematic flying.

Pete AK Master Guide #79 (retired!)

22-Sep-21
I’d worry about snow far more than rain for those dates. Kuiu would do fine as would HH. No need for both IMO. I’d take my Yukon set in your shoes.

22-Sep-21
I’ll be up there north of Coldfoot next year. I’ve always believed the later in September the better for moose. So we’ll start on the 10th. Is staying until the 25th a bad idea?

22-Sep-21
MP,

Moose hunting is always better later in September. I might chance the weather to hunt moose in late September. Especially on the S side (Coldfoot to Chandalar)

I would NOT chance the weather on the N side. Especially to hunt caribou that likely taste like rancid liver at that time of year!

Pete

22-Sep-21
Rancid liver can be an acquired taste. Don’t underestimate it.

22-Sep-21
I heard the same recommendation from my outfitter back for my Sept bear hunt years back out of Bethel. I ended up just bringing my Cabelas Alaskan Guide GoreTex gear and OR gaiters, which did well. HH is awesome, but heavy and doesn't breath at all (you'll be wet anyway).

One of my guides was just wearing waders and the other wearing HH.

22-Sep-21
Sounds like Jasper got dropped in front of a pile of Caribou, hoping they play ball for him and he gets a chance!

• Sitka Gear