Michael 02-Sep-22
M.Pauls 03-Sep-22
fdp 18-Sep-22
RJ Hunt 20-Sep-22
BTM 20-Sep-22
keepemsharp 20-Sep-22
Bob H in NH 20-Sep-22
19-Sep-21
I've used Havalon for several years. love/hate them. kinda tired of breaking blades. Is the outdoor edge any better? I've heard the blades aren't as sharp as the havalon

19-Sep-21
should also ask about the Gerber EBS as well?

19-Sep-21
If you're breaking blades, you're forcing them or prying with them. If you have to force them, they're dull, should have changed them already. If you need to pry, use a K-Bar.

19-Sep-21
I’ve tried the replacement blade knives. They were a pain. I went back to a real knife Bark river. The convex edge stays razor sharp. I can do a whole animal and the blade is still very sharp.

19-Sep-21
Get yourself a cold steel master Hunter and no worries. Stays sharp after several animals and a breeze to touch up. Does everything you need, no more breaking blades or replacing .

19-Sep-21
Are you using the #60XT blades, or the #60A blades? The #60XT blades are 20% thicker and don’t break nearly as easily as the 60A blades. They’re definitely not indestructible, but they’re a lot more durable, IMO.

19-Sep-21
I’ve been using the outdoor edge. Very sturdy, and I can usually quarter and bone my elk with 3 blades. Never had a blade break in 3 or 4 years on elk, deer and few pronghorn. Just be careful to make sure blade is seated all the way when replacing in a dirty knife. I’ve been very happy with mine!

19-Sep-21
Camillus TigerSharp replaceable blade knives…..don’t look back.

19-Sep-21
Outdoor Edge. And you can 3-4 different blades for different cutting. Very good!!

And…..you can click on their ad right here on Bowsite!! Lmfao

19-Sep-21
I had the same problem, went with Outdoor Edge and havent had a problem since. Love the Havalon for caping and fine work, use my edge for quartering and other larger work

19-Sep-21
I was always breaking my havalon when it was cold. -20 makes them extra weak.

I am currently running outdoor edge and get a full elk done with a fresh blade using my multi tool to whack off joints etc.

19-Sep-21
I resisted the replaceable blade knives for years, right up until I lost my everyday pocket knife on a hunt. I can't stand not having a pocket knife on me, so I went to the closest General store for a replacement. All they had was the Outdoor Edge knives, so I bit the bullet and bought one. It felt wrong, since I collect Randall Knives, and I'm a fan of quality handmade knives.

I haven't carried anything but the Outdoor Edge since! While packing and hunting, it's nice knowing you have the equivalent of multiple razor sharp knives on you, for a fraction of the weight of regular knives. I've also discovered they can be returned to razor sharpness with just a few swipes on a small sharpening steel.

Matt

19-Sep-21
The problem with OE is their blades do not retain their sharpness as well as others, IMO.

19-Sep-21
I also resisted, but glad I switched! The blades are thicker so they can be re-sharpened if not nicked up too bad. I usually use a fresh blade per side on elk, that’s skinning, quartering and then Cutting off from bone. I don’t pack out the bones any more, getting too old:) deer and pronghorn usually just one maybe 2 blades. Like mentioned, 6 or more sharp blades ready to go that are super light!

19-Sep-21
The other nice thing about replaceable blade knives is, if you lose one, their cheap price doesn't make it sting so badly. The pocket knife I lost was a $300 Spyderco. That hurt a little.

Matt

19-Sep-21
Been using ODE changeable blades for the last 8yrs and really like them, but keep a Kersha/buck fixed blade handy for the harder joints to cut open.

19-Sep-21
Second the point from Troy on the 60xt blades. They were upgraded over the original 60a for the reason you are citing

19-Sep-21
No one's tried the new Gerber EBS?

19-Sep-21
I use a light weight victorinox 5” curved boning knife. Use a simple cheap kydex sheath, small pack steel. I also carry a havalon for caping and a kershaw pocket knife clipped to my pocket.

19-Sep-21
I am very happy with the Havalon blades. Stronger and hold an edge longer than most reviews make it sound like they would

19-Sep-21
I have both the havalon and OE my preference is the OE just because of blades breaking with other.

19-Sep-21
What Matt said above, Outdoor Edge. My guides and I all use them and they are easy to tune up with a steel. I’ve used one blade to gut and skin 2-3 moose. If they become dull you just toss out the blade and quickly go again with a new one. We will do about 50 animals each fall with more than half of them being moose and elk plus dozens of bears in the spring. Havalons are too slow to use and break too easy for general skinning but great for detailed cape work. Oddly enough we also think Havalons are actually too sharp and pokey, if you ever cut yourself it’s so hard to stop the bleeding!

19-Sep-21
I started off with fixed blades and then tried Havalon. I broke so many Havalon blades and almost impaled myself several times when they broke. I'm a super fan of Outdoor Edge. They are cheap and I've NEVER had a blade break. They are super sharp and hold their edge pretty well. Quick and easy to replace blades. If I loose one no big deal. Why pay $100+ for a knife when an Outdoor edge with several blades is around $30? I usually have several knives scattered in several different packs, truck, home, etc. I keep the capes off most of the game I shoot and the OE blades work fantastic. In fact, I did a life-sized antelope yesterday with a single blade and it was still sharp after skinning/boning my buck. If a blade dulls I can change blades in a matter of seconds. I'm horrible at sharpening blades but am pretty sure even the replacement blades can be re-sharpened?

19-Sep-21
Outdoor Edge is definitely not as sharp as the Havalon. I sharpen them all before use and after and you're ready to go again. I've never had a dull knife since bowsiter Kurt talked me into buying a Cabelas Chef's Choice electric sharpener.

19-Sep-21
Havalon for field dressing (use the 70A), OE for skinning and/or boning.

19-Sep-21
I use a Havalon for all field dressing, if you're breaking blades you're doing it wrong.

19-Sep-21
In my eyes , there is nothing like replaceable blade knifes. They are the best thing any knife maker could come up with. Nothing makes them more money than making people keep buying useless gizmos you keep throwing money at them. When you figure that the one you have is not the "best" , you go to another manufacturer that sells the same , but a different color/shape , and so on... In one commercial from outdoor edge , the guy says something along the lines of: Buy this thing!!! You'll be glad you did!!! All I can hear is : gimme your money!!! I'll be glad you did!!! ORDER YOURS TODAY!!!!! One of my favorites knifes is one I resurrected form a dilapidated house schedule for demolition. A broken blade of the best quality German steel form the 1920s . I had it for 40 years and will sure last me for however long I have left.

19-Sep-21
"I use a Havalon for all field dressing, if you're breaking blades you're doing it wrong."

This.

I have really liked my Havalon but have not tried the Outdoor Edge.

19-Sep-21
I use a $2 snap blade knife and a Buck fillet knife. Perfect combination IMHO. I extend enough blade to get through the hide for the initial cuts, then a little more for skinning out the hide. Then the fillet knife for quartering, separating ball sockets, etc. Usually snap off 1/2 an inch when it shows any sign of getting dull. Snap knife weighs almost nothing and if I loose it, oh well. Been doing it this way for 20+ years.

19-Sep-21
As a bladesmith, I have many customers that used the replaceable blades and have switched back to fixed blade knives. Especially after seeing me clean animals. They have their place but they can't replace a fixed blade that you can use for survival, camping and cleaning game. I just did a bull moose..skinned, quartered, boned and caped the head. Never heard of someone passing down a havalon.. we live in a throw away society now. Customizing is another sell for fixed blades.. Different steels, shapes, handles like antler, burl wood, whooly mammoth tusk and synthetics.

19-Sep-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
$2.50 for the handles and a few 60A or 60XT blades and I can do it all in the field.

20-Sep-21
Used an Outdoor Edge this year cutting up an elk and was very impressed.

20-Sep-21
real high quality blade + sharpener IMO. https://www.buckknives.com/product/edgetek-ultra-flipstik-knife-sharpener/97044-B/

A good blade will stay sharp through most of your gut, skin, quarter.

20-Sep-21
I have used the Gerber EBS the last couple of years and love it so far. I like the larger handle than the Havalon's and smaller Gerber's. I've used the same blade on a few pronghorn, elk and deer. I just use a small drag through sharpener (Iron Will) to touch it up. Works great.

20-Sep-21
They are both excellent and not that expensive either. I own both. I also have fixed blade knives. They all have their place. But for caping my goto is the havalon. I may use two blades but they’re cheap so, why not?

20-Sep-21
I use them but, I find they were more of a novelty thing. I rarely get them out of kill kit anymore since my brother made me a couple handmade knives.

20-Sep-21
"I may use two blades but they’re cheap so, why not? "

Some people can't discard a dull replaceable blade. I see guys with dull razor knives everywhere. Even when there's 5 sharp ones in the dam' handle. I had a friend whose collection of dull saws-all blades was enormous. "Ah, da old ones is good enough."

Some people are too cheap for disposables.

20-Sep-21
I agree with pat. I use a havalon for caping and skinning. I use a benchmade in the woods to cut and a benchmade to break down once their hanging. My go to benchmade in the field is the grizzly ridge with gut hook. Also like my hidden canyon hunter for butchering small game and breaking down hind quarters. Personal preference tho.

20-Sep-21
My favorite is Out Door Edge. I use them for hunting and every day use here on the ranch. Easy to change blades, Can use multiple style blades on one handle, Very durable, sharp and easy to sharpen.

20-Sep-21
Used my havalon for the first time yesterday to do gutless on a pronghorn. Made the mistake of bumping my thumb with the knife, barely felt it, but man did it bleed. SHARP

Worked great for skinning, used the blade with the gut hook, zipped the skin up the back leg, across the lower body and down the front leg, worked great.

20-Sep-21
I’ve used a havalon for years, 100 PCs 60xt blades for $35 and will last for decades. I use one of the mini SOG folders that QAD used to give away with their rests for doing elk knees.

20-Sep-21

Ambush's embedded Photo
ChefsChoice model 120.
Ambush's embedded Photo
ChefsChoice model 120.
I’ve had three PM’s regarding the electric sharpener mentioned. And who ever uses the kitchen knives will thank you to.

20-Sep-21

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Randy Newberg/Gerber Knife
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Randy Newberg/Gerber Knife
Randy Newberg developed this knife with Gerber for elk. I did an entire elk with the serrated blade and never got to the two meat blades. These blades are replaceable but sharpen-able. I don’t see needing many replacement blades

21-Sep-21
I like the OE because they are tougher and I cut myself a couple times with the havalon. I use a pocket sharpener from Benchmade.

21-Sep-21
Poked around online yesterday, found endless places for blades, but does anyone know where to buy just the havalon talon handle?

22-Sep-21
Those of you that are breaking blades remind me of when I was a flight engineer on B727s. We used to carry a small tool kit back then, and flight attendants often came up and asked to borrow a screw driver. It wasn't long before a realized what they really needed, and added a small pry bar to my kit.

22-Sep-21
Iv done a deer and 2 antelope with the same havillon blade in the last 10 days

22-Sep-21
I use the 3.5" replacement blade Outdoor Edge knife and sharpen the dull one when I get home. Haven't gone through a blade yet as they are reusable... TODDY

02-Sep-22
they are just good or I would like to say not bad but I prefer usually EDC shard Knife 3.5" blades. Kinda using it even I never broke its tip. have a look here https://shardblades.com/collections/damascus-pocket-knives

02-Sep-22
Cold steel master Hunter, four Cape buffalo and never had to sharpen it. No need for replacement blades, or breaking blades. Go watch the videos on their knives, they are tough and stay sharp. Heck my moras work just as well on deer and a couple swipes on a stone and right as rain. Don't understand the whole replacement blade thing, is it weight? Or is it just what's in nowadays.

02-Sep-22
I’ve been using my Havalon now for 5 years and think I’ve only broke 1 blade trying to separate a knee joint. Think I just use the original 60A blades. I always have my good ole Buck on me as well just in case but the Havalon weighs almost nothin so no big deal having them both. Can’t speak to the OE but I’m sure it’s great as well.

02-Sep-22
I used a Havalon since they day they started selling them. The blades have always broken although you get better at not putting any side pressure on them. But when a man on the side of a mountain with 30 minutes of light left is working on a bull elk is that really possible?

I switched to the OE Razor Lite a few years ago. I knew that their knives suck. I tried them in the past. But I’m sticking with this knife. I don’t care how good your fixed blade knife is a new blade in a replaceable blade knife is as sharp as it gets. Key word is new. OE uses the crappiest steel there is! So they last. But they don’t snap like Havalon blades. So I just went on Amazon and bought a 24 pack and problem solved. Carrying extra blades is no different than carrying a sharpener for a knife but in 3 seconds I can be back to a razor sharp edge still racing the sun to get the work done.

02-Sep-22
I've got a few fixed blades, but more often than not I just enjoy using my Havalon. If you're pushing harder than you need to with a Havalon you're just doing it wrong. I've done moose, elk, deer etc with no issues. You just need to have enough blades on you and change it as soon as you notice you are putting pressure on it. Don't keep trying hard to get done with the animal.

You bought a replacement blade knife for the purpose of replacing the blade when it is dull - just do it dammit! Just suck up the fact and budget $1.50 as the cost of taking care of the animal. Don't try and skimp and get by with less. After flying 1,000 miles and spending boat loads of money to end up in a remote location with a moose down. It's OK. Burn up 10 blades on the thing. It will not add up to any cost at all on this trip lol.

Reminds me of guys trying to bend muzzy blades straight and resharpening them....it's like you missed the point of what a muzzy is. Although if I am using the havalon in the kitchen post processing two wipes on a steel and it is razor sharp again.

02-Sep-22
I have so many of those blades I never hesitate to put a new one in. A sharp blade makes life so much easier. And it’s safer than struggling with a dull blade.

02-Sep-22
I love my havalon. I will often use 3 or more blades during the gutting, skinning and quartering process. If it's not like a hot knife through butter I replace it. I have never broken a blade. My only complaint is that when my hands are all slicked up with blood it can be sketchy removing the blade.

02-Sep-22
“My only complaint is that when my hands are all slicked up with blood it can be sketchy removing the blade.“

They’ve come up with a solution for that now. They have a blade removal tool that also contains the used dull blades. Pretty slick.

02-Sep-22
I like my Havalon quite a bit. Saying that, I prefer a good fixed blade. I use a fixed blade everyday for work. I can sharpen one and keep it sharp for a lot longer than any replacement blade. The only advantage I see with a Havalon is weight and not carrying a small steel. I still carry a small steel though.

02-Sep-22
“My only complaint is that when my hands are all slicked up with blood it can be sketchy removing the blade.“

They’ve come up with a solution for that now. They have a blade removal tool that also contains the used dull blades. Pretty slick.

02-Sep-22
I was a havalon user for a long time. They work great, never broke a blade but in the end I just wanted something more so I made my own knife for hunting. I still have my havalon but it just feels right when I got a good fixed blade in my hand.

02-Sep-22
As a trapper I have switched to Wiebe Knives. Larger grip, like them better.

02-Sep-22
I can echo what Mule Power said. I have been using a Havalon since they came out.

Can count on 1 hand the amount of blades that have broken. Every one was side pressure.

Like Pat, I change the blades often.

03-Sep-22
I carry a havalon AND a fixed blade. Both have their place, usually the havalon has its place in my hand, and the fixed blade has its place in my heart lol.

In all seriousness the havalon gets used 90% of the time, but I keep the fixed blade mostly for emergency, like dispatching an animal or something. The fixed blade is always at the ready, and havalon is in the kill kit. And I agree that if you’re snapping blades, technique is off

18-Sep-22

20-Sep-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
I just returned from an elk hunt. My friends son killed his first bull. I finished skinning and quartering the bull with one quality knife made by Niche custom blade works. After the job I could easily have done a second bull without a sharpening. I caped the bull in camp with my friends outdoor edge, it took 3 blades to just cape it. And they were no where as sharp as my quality made knife. Every tool has its place though.

20-Sep-22

20-Sep-22
Very cool Jay

20-Sep-22
"Get yourself a cold steel master Hunter and no worries. Stays sharp after several animals and a breeze to touch up." That was my experience for quite a few animals, so I stopped carrying a pocket sharpener in my pack. Then I ran into a tough-skinned old bull elk that dulled my MH halfway through. I'd have sold my soul for a pocket sharpener that night, and I've carried one ever since. Still love my MH, though.

20-Sep-22
Recently used one to hang wall paper, pretty handy.

20-Sep-22
as a "sharpening challenged" person I love my havalon. I have a fixed blade in the pack in case needed. Not sure how you would break blades

• Sitka Gear