APauls 26-Sep-21
Missouribreaks 26-Sep-21
Shuteye 27-Sep-21
Ursman 28-Sep-21
Kevin Dill 28-Sep-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
DanaC 12-Oct-21
19-Sep-21
How do you keep fly's away after quartering a moose? I've heard pepper, citric acid and vinegar. I've seen conflicting info online if vinegar repels or attracts. Or is it necessary to do anything?

19-Sep-21
Nothing is going to keep them away. It’s a question of keeping them off the meat.

19-Sep-21
Ok. I'll re-phrase.

How do I keep them off the meat after it's been harvested and hanging?

19-Sep-21

standswittaknife's embedded Photo
standswittaknife's embedded Photo
Good game bags and some citric acid formula..

19-Sep-21
Easy. Hunt when it’s cold

19-Sep-21

19-Sep-21
Ground pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, even Tabasco sauce will all do the job, too.

Matt

19-Sep-21
Thanks Matt. Do you put it directly on the meat or on the game bag after it's hanging?

19-Sep-21
I used the Koola Buck Anti Microbial game bags on my moose hunt last year in UT. They worked great, flies didn’t want to land on them.

20-Sep-21

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
This works real good and keeps those dang bee's off too.

Good luck, Robb

20-Sep-21
BULELK1……How big of a bottle does it take for an elk sized critter?

20-Sep-21
Good game bags

20-Sep-21
Like Grey Ghost said... Pepper works.

21-Sep-21
t-roy

1 bottle if I rub it on boned off meat and then put the meat into game bags and hang over limbs or lay on rocks in the shade, to cool down over night.

Good luck, Robb

21-Sep-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
I only skin the section I'm working on at the time and use my game bags to keep it covered as I skin the hide.

I also use extra large game bags and slip them over the quarters as I skin them. By the time I'm ready to pull the hind quarter over to pop the knuckle the quarter is practically in the bag.

21-Sep-21
Game bags

21-Sep-21
all of the above. Then a smoky campfire and fire up the thermacell for good measure.

21-Sep-21

21-Sep-21
Thread title reminded me of a joke my grandma told me back when I was in 5th grade...

2 nuns were out walking in the park on a hot hot day. They being full garb were hot. As they walked they saw a rather large woman sitting on a park bench eating some water melon and her short summer dress revealed that she was not wearing any underwear.

The nuns were taken back. They had a brief discussion and and decided that not wearing underwear had to make her cooler. So they argued a bit more and one decided to ask the women. "Hey does not wearing underwear make you cooler on these hot day?"

The reply.... Oh honey I don't know about that, but it does help keep the flies off the melon.

So maybe there is something to be learned? HAHA. Had to share, I sure miss my grandma, she always had a pile of jokes ready and used to spend hours telling them to anyone that would listen...

21-Sep-21
WYOelker, no more jokes, I just threw up in my mouth!

21-Sep-21
I cross my legs

25-Sep-21
Game bags and pepper

26-Sep-21
Do any of these chemical products leach into, or impart a flavor into the meat.....if applied to the outside of the game bags?

26-Sep-21
Citric acid is harmless to meat. It lowers the pH on the bags and surface of the meat which discourages flies. It also aids in meat 'crust' formation which further reduces fly issues. Although I haven't tried doing it, some advocate for pre-treating meat bags with citric acid. Basically it's done by mixing the c-a solution in a bucket, then dipping the bags in it. Let dry and then pack them up.

26-Sep-21
Game bags. Keeps the meat cleaner too

26-Sep-21
Game bags and black pepper both work.

27-Sep-21
When I was living at home we would hang a deer in the shed and skin it. Mom would put a bed sheet around the deer and close up all the openings. Worked great to keep the flies off.

28-Sep-21
What goes into a citric acid mix?

28-Sep-21
Dry (powdered) citric acid and water.

10-Oct-21
Good thread

12-Oct-21
ttt, has anyone used these hints this season?

• Sitka Gear