tobywon 22-Sep-21
Overland 22-Sep-21
Zbone 23-Sep-21
TJS 23-Sep-21
JL 23-Sep-21
Firsty 23-Sep-21
WV Mountaineer 23-Sep-21
21-Sep-21
Looking for a better system to get my bow up the tree.

I typically only make one trip. Set my first stick -> hang the other two off my sides with my stand on my back.

In the past I’d have a tow rope for my bag and one for my bow. They usually always get tangled as I’m going up the tree, and then when it’s time to go are a knotted mess again after being wrapped up nicely.

Figured out a carabiner system so my bag can make the trip up the tree with me, still not sure what to do with the bow.

Anyone have a retractable bow rope they like/what’s your system?

21-Sep-21
Doyle’s great hoist

21-Sep-21
Tell me about your biner system for your pack. Right now I clip my pack and bow (recurve) together and I don’t like it. I don’t mind the paracord rope, but would like to hear about how you get your pack up while setting your sticks.

21-Sep-21
I tie my pack off to the end of my safety line and set it about four feet to one side of the tree. Then I tie my bow to paracord and set it about four feet to the other side of the tree. Ascend the tree with Prussic at about 45* toward the pack. Use a small carabiner to clip the paracord to my harness on that other side. Sometimes you have to shake the paracord off the next stick as you pull it up to place it. Not a major hassle.

21-Sep-21
Personally I climb with my pack on. Bow attatched to the gear hoist on my pack or the paracord I have on my pack. Once I get to tree my sticks go on my saddle for the climb. Then it’s go time. Climb up, attatch pack to tree hang platform pull up bow hunt.

21-Sep-21
Somehow my phone posted again. Edit to remove duplicate post.

22-Sep-21
I use a para cord pull up rope with a large loop on end to run cord thru upper limb of bow (recurve) and another inline loop three feet above to attach backpack with a carabiner. When leaving I wrap the para cord around the thumb and pinky in a figure eight pattern to prevent tangles.

22-Sep-21
Climb with pack on. 20 foot section of parachord tied to bow on the ground and then to my belt or safety vest, climb, sit, pull. Wrap chord around my hand, then the last 6 inches wraps around the wrap to secure it all together, loop it under itself and into my pocket it goes, never get knots.

Simple and cheap. Don't need "tools" for everything.

22-Sep-21

2Wild Bill's embedded Photo
I have a home made spool design. It goes with me up the tree and when I'm ready I hoist my pack and bow up to me the spool keeps the line wound and neat until it is time to lower everything before I climb down.

To lower my gear I pass the line between my thumb and index finger, over the back of my hand and with my left hand on the spool I pay out the line which passes over the back of my hand and the thumb acts as a brake as the pack is on the side by the pinkie. I have a length of 1" hollow nylon webbing that the line passes through as it travels across the back of my hand to prevent a line burn and I wear gloves when climbing up and down.

22-Sep-21

I have a home made spool design. It goes with me up the tree and when I'm ready I hoist my pack and bow up to me the spool keeps the line wound and neat until it is time to lower everything before I climb down.

To lower my gear I pass the line between my thumb and index finger, over the back of my hand and with my left hand on the spool I pay out the line which passes over the back of my hand and the thumb acts as a brake as the pack is on the side by the pinkie. I have a length of 1" hollow nylon webbing that the line passes through as it travels across the back of my hand to prevent a line burn and I wear gloves when climbing up and down.

22-Sep-21

22-Sep-21

22-Sep-21
I use the tan loop, to the right of the tubular nylon to attach my pack with a carabiner and the bow goes on the end flat nylon loop and plastic buckle. That way I can use the carabiner to hang the pack first and then lift the bow from just below the pack. I have a special line rig I place around the tree before I hoist anything up and that's where the pack and bow rest as I finish dressing with items from inside the pack. My quiver is attached to the pack and I position it open for easy access to my arrows.

22-Sep-21
When the line is wound on the spool and the pack hanging from the tree, I attach the spool by the wrist strap to the carabiner.

22-Sep-21

KSflatlander's embedded Photo
KSflatlander's embedded Photo
HSS hoist works for me. It clips to your belt or pack. Never gets tangled.

22-Sep-21
I keep my pack on while climbing the stick to the hang-on. For the bow, I use the cheap rope ya get from Harbor Freight because it it thicker and easier to handle with my gloved fingers when it's cold outside or the rope freezes. I have a loop in the bitter end of the rope and run the loop thru one of the holes in the riser and connect it to the riser fang (an APA bow). I can also run the loop thru the cables and loop it over the top cam and that will hold it too. You could do something similar with a trad bow too. I don't use any metal carabeeners because they make to much noise for me if they bump the metal riser. Just a preference I guess.....

22-Sep-21
I use the Strapper, similar to what KS posted above. Retractable strap that never gets tangled and I clip to stand as I'm climbing. As I go up, it lets out the strap.

22-Sep-21

Overland's embedded Photo
Overland's embedded Photo
Like tobywon, I've used a Strapper Retriever since I first started hunting. It's never let me down.

23-Sep-21
Back in the day before they were made commercially (should have marketed my own, probably be a millionaire...8^)) I used a fly rod reel with a small cotton cord and dog snap...

Another vote for the Strapper Retriever... The ribbon webbing works much better than a cord... Lost my first one I had for years out of my pack, I was bummed and thought they had quit making them, then fortunately the following year stopped in a little bow shop and they happen to have two of them on the shelf and I bought them both, one for a backup and still have them... I snap a bigger light weight aluminum carabiner on both ends...

23-Sep-21
1/4 inch nylon braided rope has done it for me over many years. Doesn't get tangled and loops up easily. It doubles as a drag rope after I tie a 12" rope on for a handle.

23-Sep-21
One other FWIW, add-on thought.....the heavy rope I use to pull up the bow is also the same rope I use to raise/lower the treestand. So it always stays with the stand.

23-Sep-21
Just put your bow over your head and shoulder and climb the tree. Don't need to make it harder than it is

23-Sep-21
I’ve got the one like overland posted and, the HSS. It’s a pretty flawless concept that works great. The stripper is better. But, both beat a rope like it’s their step child.

• Sitka Gear