Slate 28-Sep-21
elkmtngear 28-Sep-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
DanaC 14-Oct-21
28-Sep-21

KHNC's embedded Photo
KHNC's embedded Photo
KHNC's embedded Photo
ONE of the many pics i took of the bull from my stand.
KHNC's embedded Photo
ONE of the many pics i took of the bull from my stand.
Bowhunting for whitetail in NW Nebraska from 09/10-9/17. Day 1 elk were all around me. I actually counted 101 bugles from 5p til dark. Many , many more than that before i started counting. Two days later, from the same treestand, I had an encounter with the biggest bull I have ever seen in person. 55 yards , screaming his head off. I guessed him at 360 plus. He was killed by a hunter fortunate enough to draw the tag , on 09/22 with a rifle. Guy had never seen an elk before he arrived to hunt this ranch. I didnt kill a deer. Very few deer around this year. Worst deer hunting i have experienced in NW Nebraska since i started going in 2006. No idea where the deer were this time.

28-Sep-21

KHNC's embedded Photo
The lucky hunter with his first elk.
KHNC's embedded Photo
The lucky hunter with his first elk.

28-Sep-21
KHNC,

It's cool to see elk in areas they once inhabited in large numbers. However, I've seen growing populations of elk displace the deer herds in a couple of locations. One of them was a favorite mule deer spot of mine in eastern Colorado. The elk herd has exploded and the deer herd has dwindled. It's amazing how much graze and browse an elk herd can mow down. You may have to find a different deer hunting spot, if the elk stick around.

Matt

28-Sep-21
Matt, it definitely appeared that way in this case. THey are bedding in a big canyon that once was preferred bedding for bachelor groups of bucks in September. No mention of EHD this year, and i didnt find any dead ones either. Can only assume thats what happened. 40-50 elk in the general area. Have been for a few years early season. I will have to go back to november rut hunts looks like.

28-Sep-21
Stud

28-Sep-21
Guy looks like a deer in the headlights, lol...you couldn't wipe the grin off my face, if I took a bull like that!

Looking forward to seeing some of the video as well as your pics, in a couple weeks!

10-Oct-21
Good thread

14-Oct-21
Matt if deer are getting scarce and elk are multiplying, are elk tags getting easier to get (and fill) there? What are the biologists saying about it?

• Sitka Gear