Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
t-roy 28-Sep-21
goyt 28-Sep-21
JSW 29-Sep-21
Korey Wolfe 30-Sep-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
28-Sep-21
I highly doubt they will head out this late in the year, but I think mowing them would be advantageous to do. You will get some new growth after mowing, and that new growth will be more palatable than the taller unmowed stuff, IMO.

28-Sep-21
I agree with t-roy that the oats will not head out this year. Regarding mowing I also agree that the oats would be better tasting if mowed. However, the size of the plot, the size of the deer herd, and the amount of competing food would enter into the decision. I have seen deer completely mow down 3 acres of wheat that was so tall that it was laying over in a matter of a week or so. After that the deer kept eating the wheat as fast as it would grow. If there are few deer and/or a lot of attractive food choices you may benefit from cutting it. Otherwise I suspect that sometime after the middle of October the deer will mow it for you regardless if you cut it now or not and there will be more food to hold them if it is not mowed. JMO

29-Sep-21
If you're still not sure, mow half and see what happens. That will give you better information for the future.

30-Sep-21
It depends on the size of the plot and the number of deer visiting the plot. I would never move my small plots because the deer do that for me, no matter how early you plant them. You are looking to maximize the tons per acre for each plot then I wouldn't mow.

10-Oct-21
Good thread

• Sitka Gear