Al Dente Laptop 02-Oct-21
spike buck 03-Oct-21
Surfbow 04-Oct-21
Stalker 04-Oct-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
01-Oct-21

Stalker's embedded Photo
Stalker's embedded Photo
So, there we are on Sept 20th peak of the rut and were heading down a trail in the Desolation unit in Oregon when all the sudden the smell of smoke is thick. We look around at the surrounding hills and its clear as a bell. Continuing down the trail all of a sudden a huge cloud of white smoke was coming around a tree 20 yds in front of us so I was expecting to see someone sitting on a log tending a fire but when we rounded the tree there was no-one there. We had orange flame coming from a small log and lots of smoke coming from the root system.There was a good 4" of pine needles and they were about to take off. Well there went our morning hunt. We spent the next 2 hours going back and forth to the nearest creek with a garbage bag way down the hill about 300 yards. We never got to talk to the guy who was parked at the dead end road that leads to the trail from the day before so Im hoping this thread will find this guy. He was out the day before and stuck it out through a nasty rain storm but had a fire in a terrible place and needs to think about where he has a fire in the future. We were pissed, his stupidity kept us from hunting the peak.

01-Oct-21
Good on you guys for taking care of business!

01-Oct-21
Reminds me of about 15 years ago, my brother and I were riding to where we were going to elk hunt for the morning and noticed a white jeep cherokee right next to the road in a non camp spot. We assumed he was parking there to hunt that morning. Drive back by a few hours later to find the jeep was gone and there was a little camp fire still burning quite well. I was so f**kn mad. Used all my backpack water to put it out.

01-Oct-21
Just a reminder to not drive in tall grass. Not that there is any tall grass around here. It's bone dry in Montana for most of the state. Just drove home, Glendive to Circle to Jordan, the Lewistown area. The only green for most of the trip is the road ditches where the runoff gives the soil a bit of drink.

01-Oct-21
Just a reminder to not drive in tall grass. Not that there is any tall grass around here. It's bone dry in Montana for most of the state. Just drove home, Glendive to Circle to Jordan, the Lewistown area. The only green for most of the trip is the road ditches where the runoff gives the soil a bit of drink.

02-Oct-21
Great job guys save a forest from disaster and many resources. Proud of you! Hopefully the person who this see his dumb mistake

02-Oct-21
A huge thank you to you and your hunting party. You did a great thing and possibly saved that forest from burning down.

03-Oct-21
we were out baiting on a logging road early August. Saw smoke coming from the bush. About 20 foot in bush a tree was smoldering at the roots. There were flames only about an inch high but was about a fifteen ft radius around tree roots. Was water puddles on the road, we grabbed a few tim hortons coffee cups and filled them with water and soaked the ground, it took awhile. Dug down with our hands to feel heat and know where to soak. Took about an hour and a half until we had the beginnings of a forest fire out.

After fire was out we stood back and saw how the tree top was damaged from lightning. The lesson we learned was bring a pail and a shovel with us anytime we ventured out during a drought.

04-Oct-21
Sounds like a lighting strike, those can smolder for days...

04-Oct-21

Stalker's embedded Photo
Stalker's embedded Photo
No lightning in the area. Day before was rainy so I know someone was trying to stay out and weather the storm. Bad choice

10-Oct-21
Good thread

• Sitka Gear