TREESTANDWOLF 06-Oct-21
Lost Arra 06-Oct-21
Sivart 06-Oct-21
Matt 06-Oct-21
Swampbuck 09-Oct-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
01-Oct-21
Which app are you guys using?

Looking for something with hourly weather, wind directions, thermals, sunrise/sunset etc.

Thanks!

01-Oct-21
I have 'Accuweather' bookmarked on my laptop, don't use a smart phone or 'apps'.

01-Oct-21

PECO's Link
I use NOAA, but when I want to be serious, I use Weather Underground.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/co/hillside/38.28,-105.61

01-Oct-21
NOAA and bookmark it on my home screen.

01-Oct-21
Weather Underground is the most accurate granular app I've found.

01-Oct-21
Windfinder

I really like this app for picking out stand locations to hunt.

01-Oct-21
Windy

01-Oct-21
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/

Excellent for overall mountain weather. Especially for wind and at different altitudes it is pretty accurate

01-Oct-21
I use Accuweather, if I'm just checking general forecasts and radar, but I liked the older version better than the updated one. If I want specific wind and tide information when fishing, I use Windfinder and Windy.

Matt

01-Oct-21
Thermals won't be in any app.

01-Oct-21
Dark sky is awesome

01-Oct-21

SmokedTrout's Link
Korey, you can simulate thermals with WindNinja. I am uncertain if the mobile version does thermals, but you sure can on your PC.

01-Oct-21
I have been using the weather info on the hunt stand app for several years and find it to be accurate for my area. No complaints.

01-Oct-21
Accuweather is horrible!

01-Oct-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I use NOAA, and sometimes "notso-Accuweather", but my favorite for wind is My Radar. Just check out the wind "layer" on My Radar and drill down/zoom in to your exact location...perty neat.

01-Oct-21
I had one on my old phone that showed a map of the US with moving arrows indicating wind direction. You could zoom in to see details of your area. Anyone know the name of this app?

01-Oct-21
X3 on Weather Underground.......

02-Oct-21
Second vote for Windy

The details are amazing and spot on.

02-Oct-21
"notso-Accuweather" that's a good one. We call it "crackuweather" because of how terrible they are, like they are on crack.

02-Oct-21
BC,

I think a few of them have that feature, but you're probably thinking of Windfinder. You can not only zoom in on the map to your exact area, you can scroll thru each day to see how the wind will change by the hour. It also has limited tide information . I probably use Windfinder more than any other app when I'm fishing down in Florida. Windy is also good. I don't think it has the map feature, like Windfinder, but it has more specific tide information.

Matt

02-Oct-21
It's my understanding that most weather apps use raw data collected by NWS and NOAA to generate their own weather models. If you compare the weather information between apps, they are often identical, or very close. I don't think any are significantly more accurate than the others. It really comes down to which user interface you prefer.

Someone correct me, If I'm wrong.

Matt

02-Oct-21
Matt......I can't speak for any other app other than Weather Underground but I suspect you're right. Aside from the usual WX information you get on WU.....they have an almanac that allows me to go back in time to see what the weather was at any place I choose. That is good for scouting and for me....tree stand placement. I was just using it a month or so back for an upcoming antelope hunt.

06-Oct-21
Second vote for Windy

The details are amazing and spot on.

06-Oct-21
Grey Ghost: Michael Lewis wrote a short book (The Coming Storm) about the privatizing of public weather data. While I'm not a huge Michael Lewis fan, the book was interesting in describing how we get our "weather".

06-Oct-21
Don't pay for the premium weather app. My Dad did, and it made his phone super slow

06-Oct-21
NOAA

I have found that Wunderground can use weather stations that are 20+ miles away from the area I am looking at for weather and it has meant the difference between clear skies and thunder storms.

09-Oct-21
MyRadar. It has a lot of options

10-Oct-21
Good thread

• Sitka Gear