KHNC's embedded Photo
Trail cam pic
KHNC's embedded Photo
Trail cam pic
KHNC's embedded Photo
Spud Trademark Pic
KHNC's embedded Photo
Spud Trademark Pic
I was able to arrow my first buck on the new farm , in SC, this past Saturday. Muzzleloader season opened 10/01 but I wanted to keep trying with the bow. I was able to kill a doe last week in NC on a buddys farm , but no shots to this point on my farm. Lots of potential good bucks have shown up on the trail cameras all summer. Things are looking good for this season. I was able to pass up some does and a couple of small bucks leading up my hunt saturday morning. Friday night showed little promise as 4 cell cameras had ZERO deer on them from noon thru the night until saturday morning. Typically lots of deer are hitting the plots and feeders. I have 3 feeders on the farm, but they are getting very little action right now. The deer are feeding on acorns, as they should be right now. This is actually the first time I have tried using spin feeders with corn. Seems like a lot of effort for little results so far! :) I used my bike to cover the 1 mile distance , accessing one of my perimeter stands for a SW wind , well before first light saturday morning. This stand is located on a ridge above the creek with lots of white oaks, and a few red oak trees. Only two of these trees produced this year. The sign is incredible around the acorns. Around 9 I was pretty restless. Second day in a row of getting up at 0430 to make the 90 min drive to hunt. I was standing up to stretch for a few minutes, when I looked down and a nice 9pt was literally under my tree! What a surprise after not even a squirrel!! lol. I slowly grabbed my bow, clipped on my release, and started looking for a shot opportunity. The deer took a few more steps and got to ten yards, I was at full draw. I put the pin between his shoulder blades for the steep downward shot. I placed the Ramcat tipped arrow in the exact spot, with a full pass through. I have killed several does with this shot over the years, usually quickly fatal. Not this time! Probably be in my best interest not to shoot a deer there again. I should've aimed a few more inches back , if I was going to take that shot. The arrow deflected and exited thru the center of the bucks neck, missing the main body cavity. After an hour, I took up the trail. Lots of blood , big pools, on an easy to follow blood trail. Bad news is , I jumped the buck about 100yds in. I made the decision to stop tracking right there and call a guy with a famous dog named SPUD! I had never called a tracker , but was determined not to lose this buck! Luckily, Spud and his owner live close to my farm. This was news to me as i had never met them in person. They were 8 minutes away!!!! Rather than go into an even longer story, once Spud arrived and got on the trail, he ran the buck right at TWO MILES! The buck crisscrossed my property several times and eventually died on the neighbor property. Neighbor was cool about recovery though! He is a hunter. So glad to get my buck after a shot I most likely wont do again. First buck on the new farm is on the ground!

04-Oct-21
Congratulations Kenny! Thats a nice buck

04-Oct-21
Appreciate it!

04-Oct-21
Congratulations! Glad you recovered him.

04-Oct-21
Nothing like a good blood trailing dog ! Congrats on a nice buck !

04-Oct-21
Love me some Spud, enjoyed your story. Great pics well played.

04-Oct-21
Good job, nice buck!

04-Oct-21
Sweet!! Congrats

04-Oct-21
Congrats again Kenny.

Can't wait to get out there in a couple weeks, we are gonna have a great time!

04-Oct-21
Tell the truth you killed that hunting on hunt with Cody Carr! J/K congrats!

04-Oct-21
Congratulations on a nice buck. Years ago I had a beagle that was excellent at tracking a wounded deer. I had a neighbor with a huge farm and they killed lots of deer. They used to borrow my beagle and he was 100% on recovery.

04-Oct-21
My Grand dad was a hound man (fox hunter) & my father in law was a hound man (coons). I love that photo of Spud giving his " I got him" bay..

04-Oct-21
Many more…

04-Oct-21
Congratulations, great feeling getting that first one.

05-Oct-21
That’s a good feeling taking one on your own place! Congrats

05-Oct-21
Way to go Spud

05-Oct-21
Glad Spud was available. Nice deer.

05-Oct-21
Congratulations! That’s gotta feel good!

05-Oct-21
Congrats on a great buck! Love the Spud pic, thanks for sharing with us!

05-Oct-21
Thanks again everyone. If any of you are from SC , you have probably heard of Spud's exploits. I hope I never need him again, but that long legged hound is a great dog!

Jeff, (EMG), got a couple of new stands ready for you! Campsite is great too. We will have a good time and get you your first whitetail.

05-Oct-21
Congrats on your buck, Kenny.

05-Oct-21
Congratulations...

05-Oct-21
Congrats!

05-Oct-21
KHNC-I have bowhunted down your way long ago (N.C.) and I don't think some of the northern fellas that have never hunted the south realize how big "your buck" really is for your part of the country. I also don't think those who never hunted the south realize what you all contend with in warm weather. droves of Chiggers, ticks, lots of Snakes, & swamps & critters that can do you harm & some darn horrible thick cover. Another big congratulations from me.. I do venture south to hunt on rare occasions BUT ONLY WHEN IT'S at it's coldest..

05-Oct-21
"KHNC-I have bowhunted down your way long ago (N.C.) and I don't think some of the northern fellas that have never hunted the south realize how big "your buck" really is for your part of the country. I also don't think those who never hunted the south realize what you all contend with in warm weather. droves of Chiggers, ticks, lots of Snakes, & swamps & critters that can do you harm & some darn horrible thick cover. Another big congratulations from me.. I do venture south to hunt on rare occasions BUT ONLY WHEN IT'S at it's coldest.."

Haha! Dang, that is one accurate paragraph right there!! I love to hunt the monster bucks of the west and the midwest, but I spend much more time hunting NC and SC here at home. Chiggers and Ticks are terrible!!! I actually have a few chigger bites from saturday. Mosquitos werent terrible, but i always have a thermacell ready. This buck died in a thick bedding area of an old cutover, at the bottom of a ravine of course! Always interesting hunting these southern bucks that are always looking up and always seem ready to turn inside out at the slightest sound! Only going to get worse next week when the gun season opens! Hopefully my farm is big enough to be sought out as a sanctuary. Thanks for the comments!

10-Oct-21
Good thread

• Sitka Gear