Grey Ghost 05-Oct-21
Z Barebow 05-Oct-21
wytex 05-Oct-21
BULELK1 06-Oct-21
ELKMAN 06-Oct-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
05-Oct-21

Chuckster's Link
Some hunters legally shot some elk on an island around snake river. Took over 24 hours to get the meat out. Not familiar with this area so maybe someone can chime in.

05-Oct-21
I was just about to post this interesting they definitely didn't do anything wrong.

05-Oct-21
"The hunters hadn’t thought about how they’d retrieve the carcasses"

They did something wrong.

05-Oct-21
They should have thought how to retrieve meat better but that’s the only issue. If it’s a legal area to shoot, then no issue. Bringing up fair chase is a joke. Not the way I would kill elk because I like the hunt aspect more than the kill, but every year they shot cow in the feed ground. Some want meat more than the hunt. I would think if it was a normal night for late September and the dropped guts, the meat is fine. Probably wouldn’t have made news if it was in any area of Wyoming beside Jackson’s city people

05-Oct-21
Shoot three cows and a calf and "gee, never thought how we were gonna get them."

05-Oct-21

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
Worked them up the next day, hide still on them.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/environmental/nightmare-elk-hunt-turns-heads-on-the-levee/article_beb416ef-39ce-5ba1-ae5e-096f08ed5a32.html?fbclid=IwAR0rTByyLEjPSHwBQTV004Xm8WUHFcNjRfFxvIBTZ-ThZAP8UAXJj5KCCMY

05-Oct-21
Article reminds me of a hunting companion who had permission years ago to hunt a cornfield adjacent to a Chicago suburb. He arrowed a doe one afternoon. The doe jumped the fence, ran into the suburb falling dead on a sidewalk about three blocks from his vehicle. Fiasco ensued before he could load doe into trunk of his car. Blood on driveway and sidewalk, dogs barking, children crying (several Bambi references), mothers screaming at him and police called. Approximately forty-five minutes later he left with his deer after a serious police reprimand! No, question, poor planning on his part and a bad day for hunter PR, but I will never forget him relating his misadventure to me and my hunting buddy on our way to Canada to hunt bear. Had to pull over to highway shoulder due to tears of laughter.

05-Oct-21
I agree, the hunters showed poor decision making for not having a plan to recover the meat. But, I wonder how many of those trail users who were upset actually contribute any money to wildlife management and the upkeep on those trails. My guess is not many.

If anything should happen with the legal use laws in that area, it should be to shut down the trails to non-hunting activities during the hunting seasons. Of course that would upset the freeloaders even more.

Matt

05-Oct-21
Grey Ghost, you nailed it.

05-Oct-21
The number of those ppl who contributed to the upkeep of the trail would be closer to zero than a few.

05-Oct-21
Bad and No planning on these hunters parts no doubt. They did a lot wrong.

05-Oct-21
Humm, pretty sure hunters didn't pay for that trail and it is groomed in winter so I bet some local dollars take care of it. However they were legal in their take and anyone that thinks elk can't ford a river is incorrect. I've passed many a shot on an elk or other animal because I knew it would be extremely hard to recover. Wonder how long they would have been left in the sun if no one was around to raise a stink, perhaps the hoopla prevented wanton waste.

05-Oct-21
GG, I love the signs at parking areas on a few SWAs in N. CO. Explains that hunters funded them, and "If you are not engaged in hunting related activities, PLEASE STAY OUT OUT!"

05-Oct-21
I like those signs too, Lou. I just wonder how many freeloaders actually honor them.

Matt

05-Oct-21
"Humm, pretty sure hunters didn't pay for that trail and it is groomed in winter so I bet some local dollars take care of it."

What type of land is the trail on? The article only says it's "public" land. Is it local, state, or federal?

I recall Wyoming was considering a trail fee bill a few years ago. All users would have to pay a annual fee to use any designated public trails. Does anyone know what happened to that bill?

Matt

05-Oct-21
Did hunters do anything illegal? Appears the answer is no.

Did the hunters do anything wrong?-Yes

05-Oct-21
I believe it is the trail along the river to Emily's pond. About 5 miles round trip from what I found online. It is on the river dike. Looks like the Jackson Hole Land Trust owns the land. Do you think they are hunters?

06-Oct-21
All that work and headache for a couple of cow elk.......my Hell.

They got tore up over on M%M when it got posted.

Good luck, Robb

06-Oct-21
sheesh...

10-Oct-21
Good thread

• Sitka Gear