milnrick 05-Oct-21
milnrick 05-Oct-21
jboutdoorguy 06-Oct-21
Jaquomo 06-Oct-21
Grey Ghost 07-Oct-21
Rgiesey 07-Oct-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
05-Oct-21
For those of you who lease land how do you go about finding it? I am from North Wisconsin and have hunted other parts of the state a few times and anybody I have talked to about hunting on their land I basically get a quick no way type answer. I would also be interested in an outfitter with a solid honest reputation in the midwest or plains states. Anyone have any tips on the best ways to find these? Would be myself and one or two brothers. Is there a site for last minute cancelled hunts at a reduced price?

05-Oct-21
Lots of outfitter reviews here under outfitters. Start reading them for the state you are interested. No sure about lease, other than maybe watching craigslist, if you have facebook their version of craigslist. You could also start a want to lease add on those sites. Never hurts to start calling or stopping by landowners in the area you would like to lease and see if they would be interested in leasing their hunting rights. When they say no always ask if they might know someone you could contact.

05-Oct-21
I have heard of some people leasing through Base Camp leasing but don't know anything about them

05-Oct-21
I still believe there are landowners who are sympathetic to hunters who can't afford to lease or hire outfitters, but they are getting few and far between, sadly. I think a few of those landowners would rather a hunter offer help with chores on the property, then be offered money for a lease. Yeah, I know that's an out-dated concept, but it may be worth a shot before contributing to the capitalization of hunting.

Just my .02, from a landowner who would never lease, but has given permission to young sincere hunters who are willing to work for the privilege.

Matt

05-Oct-21
You might check your local Farmer's CO-OP. I've seen bulletin boards in TX, AR, and here in TN with leasing opportunities.

Also, as others have said, look in the outfitter reports here on Bowsite for Outfitters that might offer opportunities you're interested in.

05-Oct-21
Another option is to search at www.huntinglocator.com. I just checked it out and it's full of leads and contact info.

Good luck

06-Oct-21
Thanks guys, Grey Ghost I wish there was more people like you. I would be happy to offer some work to get the opportunity to hunt good land. Meeting people from other areas to offer this approach isn't the easiest but I would do it for sure. I will check out the websites but would sure like to avoid a middle man if possible.

06-Oct-21
Hey Matt, I'm a young, sincere hunter who knows his way around ranching! :-)

07-Oct-21
Lou,

You may be sincere, but …. ;-)

This thread saddens me. I hate that a couple of young hunters have to resort to leasing or outfitters, which they probably can’t afford, just to have a place to hunt

And people wring their hands over the left taking away hunting, when the true demise of hunting is staring them in the face.

Matt

07-Oct-21
My approach probably isn’t popular on here. In 88 two guys who are bowsiters and I could’ve leased a good spot in Nebraska. BnC bucks. We may have just been cheap but didn’t do it. My thinking was where will the local kids hunt if we pay to keep them off. Different world today but we have been able to get on some good spots mostly by sending my son Lucas to get permission. Definitely not the way it was when Iowa and Kansas first opened up. Have made some great friends of landowners over those years.

10-Oct-21
Good thread

• Sitka Gear