goyt 08-Oct-21
Supernaut 08-Oct-21
JohnMC 08-Oct-21
Bowfreak 08-Oct-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
08-Oct-21

goyt's embedded Photo
goyt's embedded Photo
I don't know the right answer so your guess is as good as mine. Here is the encounter.

08-Oct-21
You wouldn't give him much of a chance would you?

08-Oct-21

goyt's embedded Photo
goyt's embedded Photo
Here is the final result. What do you think?

08-Oct-21
Always wondered why a coyote would not eat it even if it was playing dead. They eat dead deer why not opossum?

08-Oct-21
Spike I eat dead deer but not opossum.

08-Oct-21
I'm hoping and betting you have a picture that will confirm the possum's playing dead or actual demise and will post it eventually.

My official guess is....Playing possum or playing dead. I used to see it all the time with possums when I ran a trap line as a kid. Neat critters with a face only a mother could love and tough as nails. If that possum was healthy that coyote would be wise to move on.

08-Oct-21
I know that they are a very good fisher bait for trappers.

08-Oct-21
Not sure but they play dead very well. I shot a possum off the back porch years ago and as I'm walking to pick it up and throw it in the woods my wife says "it might not be dead, be careful". I tell she's crazy and laugh as I pick it up by the tail and then the thing starts hissing. I drop it and start screaming like a girl. She loves to tell that story.

08-Oct-21
I do not have any more pictures. I do not recall there being a dead possum there and if the coyote would have come back there should have been a picture. I think that the possum was playing dead but I do not know for sure. Just thought that I would share them.

08-Oct-21
Thanks goyt for the update and the pictures you posted. Since you don't have any more pictures then I guess I get to be right, at least in my mind, and say the possum lived to hiss another day.

08-Oct-21
When I was in high school I went to feed the horses and there was a opossum in the feed sacks. So I went to the house and got a .22 and shot it. Feed the horse and just left it. Next morning I went down there to get and haul it off to the creek to get rid of it. Turns out it had babies in it pouch and they were crawling around. I had to kill them with a shovel.

08-Oct-21
My bet it was playing possum.

10-Oct-21
Good thread

• Sitka Gear