RK 08-Oct-21
wildwilderness 08-Oct-21
Bowboy 09-Oct-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
Watush 10-Oct-21
Jailer 15-Oct-21
Beav 15-Oct-21
08-Oct-21
WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS THE USE OF FIREARMS !!! VIEWER READING DESCRETION ADVISED IF ADVERSED TO BULLETS AND GUNPOWDER !!!!

In 2019, I made plans for another trip to bowhunt South Africa in 2020. After researching outfitters, I selected Dries Visser Safaris. As we all know, Covid-19 changed everyone’s plan for hunting in 2020. My original trip was cancelled and new trip dates were planned for 2021. I recently returned from my hunt.

I set several goals for this trip:

1. I needed one animal to complete the SCI Continental Award- Africa 15 My animal species choices were steenbok, bush duiker or reedbuck; 2. I needed a black wildebeest to complete the South African “Beest Slam.” This slam includes the blue wildebeest, black wildebeest and the red hartebeest; and 3. I wanted to have an enjoyable, fun hunt.

Due to Delta Airline schedule changes my original 10-day hunt was shorten to a 9-day hunt. As we all know, a day in a hunt can make a major difference. I knew that with the shorten time, I would have to be flexible and adapt.

Day 2 of my hunt I took a beautiful whopper trophy quality mountain reedbuck; Day 4 of my hunt I took a beautiful, aged trophy quality black wildebeest. I initially shot it with a bow, had to track it and shoot it with a .375 rifle and was able to close in on the animal with a bow; Day 6 of hunt my I took an ancient impala ram with a .243 rifle with a “can”; Day 7 of my hunt I took a beautiful trophy steenbok with the .243 rifle. I had missed an earlier with my bow; Day 8 of my hunt I took an ancient, whooper trophy bush duiker with the .243 rifle.

On this hunt I got to bowhunt, spot and stalk with a gun, shoot a .375 caliber rifle, got to see a .457 Lott caliber rifle and ammo, night hunt, tag along on a zebra hunt on my final day in camp and witness God’s display of beauty in some awesome sunrises and sunsets. I saw several species of animals I had never seen before- the golden wildebeest, the golden gemsbok and the king wildebeest, plus many “night” animals. Also saw several bird species that I had not seen on previous African hunts. I experienced hunting in some unusual hunting conditions- extremely high winds with blinding dust and also hunting in the rain in South Africa. Experienced some awesome food. I met some great people- DVS staff and great hunters from many states in the U.S. It’s always great to meet fellow Bowsiters. I got to meet “Jailer” from Bowsite on this trip. I also got to see and experience first-hand the global impact of Covid-19.

This was truly a unique and exciting adventure- a memory I will always treasure.

08-Oct-21

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Mountain Reedbuck

08-Oct-21

Black wildebeest

08-Oct-21

Chasing an injured wildebeest proved to be brutal. My greatest concern was protecting my bowstring from the thorn bushes.

08-Oct-21
As you know, I have no adversion to powder and lead so…..bring it on !

08-Oct-21

My very aged impala

08-Oct-21

Steenbok

08-Oct-21

My awesome bush duiker

08-Oct-21

What a memory collection- “in the salt!”

08-Oct-21

Cape buffs crossing a road while on zebra hunt.

08-Oct-21

This buff had an attitude of “get off my lawn!” When he dropped his head, I knew it was time to leave the area.

08-Oct-21
Do you have a picture of the King Wildebeest? I've never heard of them before.....

08-Oct-21

You can find all kinds of critters in Africa. This lizard was shot by the kitchen. Was this supper ? If so, it was delicious!

08-Oct-21
Do you have a picture of the King Wildebeest? I've never heard of them before.....

08-Oct-21

My last night of the hunt. A beautiful “sky burn” after sunset- forever etched in my mind.

08-Oct-21

King wildebeest

08-Oct-21

Kings have pinkish horns, eyes, ears. nose and hooves. They reminded me of a pinto horse. Their hide would make an interesting conversation piece.

08-Oct-21
Congrats on your trophy animals Greg! Thanks for sharing!

08-Oct-21
Looks like fun!!

08-Oct-21
Very nice

08-Oct-21
Nice additions to your trophies Greg !

08-Oct-21
Thanks "Creek" !

08-Oct-21
Glad you had a great AND safe trip, Greg! Congrats on some nice animals, as well. That king wildebeest is one cool critter!

08-Oct-21
Congrats Greg…

08-Oct-21
What an incredible adventure! Beautiful animals and scenery for sure. Congratulations on a fabulous hunt!

08-Oct-21
Very nice Greg. Great stuff !!

08-Oct-21
Never heard of the king wilderbeast before

09-Oct-21
Looks like you had a great time.

10-Oct-21
Good thread

10-Oct-21
Y0u are the man!!

15-Oct-21
It was great to meet you Buffalo1. Always nice to put a face with the name. Don't come on here very often but was hoping you would publish a report and thanks for doing so. I'm sure we will see each other again sometime, somewhere........

15-Oct-21
Congratulations on a great hunt!

• Sitka Gear