INbowdude 28-Oct-21
Bou'bound 29-Oct-21
WV Mountaineer 29-Oct-21
Buffalo1 29-Oct-21
boothill 29-Oct-21
Bou'bound 31-Oct-21
Chief 419 01-Nov-21
08-Oct-21
WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS THE USE OF FIREARMS !!! VIEWER READING DESCRETION ADVISED IF ADVERSED TO BULLETS AND GUNPOWDER !!!!

In 2019, I made plans for another trip to bowhunt South Africa in 2020. After researching outfitters, I selected Dries Visser Safaris. As we all know, Covid-19 changed everyone’s plan for hunting in 2020. My original trip was cancelled and new trip dates were planned for 2021. I recently returned from my hunt.

I set several goals for this trip:

1. I needed one animal to complete the SCI Continental Award- Africa 15. My animal species choices were steenbok, bush duiker or reedbuck; 2. I needed a black wildebeest to complete the South African “Beest Slam.” This slam includes the blue wildebeest, black wildebeest and the red hartebeest; and 3. I wanted to have an enjoyable, fun hunt.

Due to Delta Airline schedule changes my original 10-day hunt was shorten to a 9-day hunt. As we all know, a day in a hunt can make a major difference. I knew that with the shorten time, I would have to be flexible and adapt.

Day 2 of my hunt I took a beautiful whopper trophy quality mountain reedbuck; Day 4 of my hunt I took a beautiful, aged trophy quality black wildebeest. I initially shot it with a bow, had to track it and shoot it with a .375 rifle and was able to close in on the animal with a bow; Day 6 of hunt my I took an ancient impala ram with a .243 rifle with a “can”; Day 7 of my hunt I took a beautiful trophy steenbok with the .243 rifle. I had missed one earlier in the day with my bow; Day 8 of my hunt I took an ancient, whooper trophy bush duiker with the .243 rifle.

On this hunt I got to bowhunt, spot and stalk with a gun, shoot a .375 caliber rifle, got to see a .457 Lott caliber rifle and ammo, night hunt, tag along on a zebra hunt on my final day in camp and witness God’s display of beauty in some awesome sunrises and sunsets. I saw several species of animals I had never seen before- the golden wildebeest, the golden gemsbok and the king wildebeest, plus many “night” animals. Also saw several bird species that I had not seen on previous African hunts. I experienced hunting in some unusual hunting conditions- extremely high winds with blinding dust and also hunting in the rain in South Africa. Experienced some awesome food. I met some great people- DVS staff and great hunters from many states in the U.S. It’s always great to meet fellow Bowsiters. I got to meet “Jailer” from Bowsite on this trip. I also got to see and experience first-hand the global impact of Covid-19.

This was truly a unique and exciting adventure- a memory I will always treasure.

08-Oct-21

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Mountain Reedbuck

08-Oct-21

Black wildebeest

08-Oct-21

Chasing an injured wildebeest proved to be brutal. My greatest concern was protecting my bowstring from the thorn bushes.

08-Oct-21
As you know, I have no adversion to powder and lead so…..bring it on !

08-Oct-21

My very aged impala

08-Oct-21

Steenbok

08-Oct-21

My awesome bush duiker

08-Oct-21

What a memory collection- “in the salt!”

08-Oct-21

Cape buffs crossing a road while on zebra hunt.

08-Oct-21

This buff had an attitude of “get off my lawn!” When he dropped his head, I knew it was time to leave the area.

08-Oct-21
Do you have a picture of the King Wildebeest? I've never heard of them before.....

08-Oct-21

You can find all kinds of critters in Africa. This lizard was shot by the kitchen. Was this supper ? If so, it was delicious!

08-Oct-21
Do you have a picture of the King Wildebeest? I've never heard of them before.....

08-Oct-21

My last night of the hunt. A beautiful “sky burn” after sunset- forever etched in my mind.

08-Oct-21

King wildebeest

08-Oct-21

Kings have pinkish horns, eyes, ears. nose and hooves. They reminded me of a pinto horse. Their hide would make an interesting conversation piece.

08-Oct-21
Congrats on your trophy animals Greg! Thanks for sharing!

08-Oct-21
Looks like fun!!

08-Oct-21
Very nice

08-Oct-21
Nice additions to your trophies Greg !

08-Oct-21
Thanks "Creek" !

08-Oct-21
Glad you had a great AND safe trip, Greg! Congrats on some nice animals, as well. That king wildebeest is one cool critter!

08-Oct-21
Congrats Greg…

08-Oct-21
What an incredible adventure! Beautiful animals and scenery for sure. Congratulations on a fabulous hunt!

08-Oct-21
Very nice Greg. Great stuff !!

08-Oct-21
Never heard of the king wilderbeast before

09-Oct-21
Looks like you had a great time.

10-Oct-21
Good thread

10-Oct-21
Y0u are the man!!

15-Oct-21
It was great to meet you Buffalo1. Always nice to put a face with the name. Don't come on here very often but was hoping you would publish a report and thanks for doing so. I'm sure we will see each other again sometime, somewhere........

15-Oct-21
Congratulations on a great hunt!

20-Oct-21
Awesome adventure Greg. You better stick to wearing long pants tracking, your legs aren't as tough as the P H. Forrest

28-Oct-21
Hey Greg, who was your PH?

29-Oct-21
That duiker is spectacular

29-Oct-21
Awesome stuff. Don’t know how I missed it the first time around!

29-Oct-21
Mike,

Heins Lottering was my PH for 2.5 days. I got to know of Heins through Bigpizzaman's post on his leopard hunts. Then met Heins in person at a DSC Convention. Then attended a party in Mississippi where he was in attendance. Heins was reassigned to some first-time African hunters. I assured them that they were in good hands with Heins.

My second PH for the remainder of my hunt (6.5 days) was Frank du Plessis. This was Frank's first year with DVS. He is a seasoned and knowledgable PH.

Both PH's did outstanding jobs- very professional, personable, knowledgeable and customer oriented.

29-Oct-21
Congratulations on a great hunt Greg!! Thanks for showing us the results my friend.

31-Oct-21
That duiker is spectacular

01-Nov-21
Congrats Greg! Great looking trophies. Looks like you had a good trip and accomplished your goals.

• Sitka Gear