peterk1234 24-Mar-24
LUNG$HOT 24-Mar-24
peterk1234 24-Mar-24
Bowfreak 25-Mar-24
DanaC 25-Mar-24
11-Oct-21
SCAM ELK HUNT WITH

Shane Barbour

Not sure where to start this story. Bob and I booked this as a last minute cancelation hunt. I talk to Shane a bunch and told me about the hunt, it was to be a different kind of hunt Hunting elk just out of town in Graham, Washington. I called a few references and so Bob and I decided to send deposits and give it a shot, Shane said he had over 20,000 acres to hunt and lots of Elk, figured we would only hunt a few days and be done. Shane said book your flights. Bring remainder of balance in cash.We will pick you up at airport, take you to Motel we use, $60 a night. Then run and pick up your license to hunt. I'm like ok sounds good. So I send him our flight itinerary and we are all set, I have done this hundreds of times, so I was good with this. In this industry you do have to put some trust in people you never know.

So this is where the disaster starts, we land in Phoenix and waiting on connecting flight to Seattle. I get a text from Shane. We have an Elk down so we need to pack out and get to butcher. Turns out nobody even shot this Elk, it was a road kill. No Elk outfitter I know needs Elk meat that you take a road kill.He tells us, you will need to take Uber to Motel. I'm like ok this sucks. I text Shane what Motel, what town. He sends me Best Western in Puyallup. I said ok. Well I call them before we board guy tells me $1470 for the week. I'm like no way. Text Shane back gives me another Motel $600 for week, I book room. Remind you he told me already had room and was picking us up at motel. We Uber to Motel at $75 arrive and get our Room. I text him and tell him room number and we walk to get some dinner. At dinner get text we are out hunting, go get license, I'm like wtf I don't have a vehicle and where do I get license and what license do I need he send back and Elk license like any state you hunt . I send back yes I understand that but no idea where we are hunting, what area, what town anything. By this time I'm really pissed. So after dark I get knock on my door it's another hunter to pick us up and go get tags and also get balance of hunt. This hunter says he will pick us up and take us out in morning all good. Next morning comes we all head to our stand all 3 of us on 200 acre farm within 100 yards each other. Morning hunt nobody sees a thing. Meet Shane for lunch never introduced himself to us just takes his balance the other hunter gave him from us. After that never hear another word from Shane. We all hunt same property all week. The other hunter had been there since Friday we arrived Monday. Thursday morning came and went and I just couldn't handle this BS anymore and called it. 7 hunters I know of no elk shot. 5 never saw anything.

There is so much more to this story it gets even worse, Stay clear of this guy Scum of the earth. Picture is 1 of the blind 15 yards off corner of Garage witch I guess could happen but not everyday

11-Oct-21

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
1 of the awesome setups 15 yards from garage. Not saying it can't happen butnot a place I want to sit all day listening to kids running around in backyard

11-Oct-21
Thanks for the heads up. I don’t plan to hunt Wa soon. But I have rolled the dice with people I didn’t know and have been burned too.

Even established outfits get long in the tooth and live on their past reputation and then either take too many people or take too many animals from an area. Dragging people into the daylight and warning others is really the only realistic recourse. Most hunts don’t cost enough to justify Litigation.

Sorry you had to be the canary in the coal mine to warn us.

11-Oct-21
Make sure the IRS. Knows he took cash for the hunt. Taxes, you know. And you checked references, they must have been bold face liars. I hate to hear stuff like this.

11-Oct-21
Substance abuser....people abuser. But who really knows?

11-Oct-21
I dont get to go elk hunting but thats a bad deal. Its good that you are giving a heads up. Sorry you had to exoerience the bad situation though

11-Oct-21
Never been elk hunting but I’m assuming it doesn’t have a garage in plain view.

11-Oct-21
Does Washington require outfitters to be licensed? If so, I'd check to see if he's got one.

Matt

11-Oct-21
Man that sucks. I'm sorry it happened to you, but I appreciate you airing it on bowsite. If you haven't already, make sure you add it to the outfitter reports so it can be searched more easily.

11-Oct-21
What was the cost of the hunt?

11-Oct-21
I got burnt by a guy in New Mexico 20 years ago. It happens. Sorry you got took.

11-Oct-21
Full name of Shane and out fit name.

11-Oct-21
Yes more details so folks searching will find this shill and avoid him. Sorry that happened!!

11-Oct-21
Well that sucks. Fill out an outfitter report if you haven't already done so.

11-Oct-21
Also been burned before, but not to this ridiculous extreme. Good advice above; do everything you can to fully disclose of this "expletive" scammer!

11-Oct-21
I thought this was going to be another Cody Carr thread. Been there and got the t- shirt need full disclosure on this scam artist

11-Oct-21
Googled him and found over 100 threads of him pulling the same thing to other people. Look him up on 24 hour camp fire . Sorry you got burned. I don’t understand how you can do that to people? I would never be able to sleep with that kind of thing on my conscience.

11-Oct-21
I had it happen in South Texas once pre-internet.Tried a lawyer got nowhere.Its a shitty feeling for sure.I wonder if the references are part of it.

11-Oct-21
That sucks. I only paid for a hog hunt, in Tennessee three times and it was fantastic. A bunch of us from the Bowsite met there and we all got hogs and had a blast.

11-Oct-21
Shane Barbour's Westcoast Adventures and Outfitting. His reputation is documented all over the internet.

Sorry you got burned Zebra. Sounds like a terrible experience and huge waste of money and time.

11-Oct-21
Sorry you got taken Zebrakiller.

It looks like Shane has been swindling people for quite awhile based on a quick internet search I did. I'm always happy when people like him get what they have coming to them.

11-Oct-21
Sorry you got taken, not a good thing. I search this clowns name and plenty of bad press popped up, did you take a look at him before booking or,was it a hurry up and go?

11-Oct-21
LBshooter, yes it was quick but I also did talk to hunters and others, I don't always go buy just a bad review because, some people sometimes write them when they don't get anything. I did have a gut feeling on a few things but this was a total disaster. I have booked 100s of hunts in this same fashion that worked out great or even better than I thought. this one just went really south Fast. ! hunter in camp was his 4th trip with him I almost died when he told me

11-Oct-21
I really feel bad for 1 couple in camp taken for over 12,000

11-Oct-21
Sorry this happened to you and others. I did some reading and it seems like this guy has been ripping people offer for several years. Wonder how he's allowed to stay in business??

11-Oct-21
So the fact that you all got to sit in a field with no elk saves this guy from being prosecuted by the law?

11-Oct-21

LINK's Link
First thread I pulled up had two reviews giving this same story. Second article was this link. Still haven’t seen a good review yet.

11-Oct-21
Crazy stuff link

11-Oct-21
Sorry to hear this William, your story sounds too familiar. It almost parallels a deer hunt I went on in Iowa. I’ve told that story before so I won’t repeat it, but suffice it to say only a serial poacher is lower than an unscrupulous outfitter.

11-Oct-21
Makes me sick to my stomach reading this. That sucks, zebra.

11-Oct-21
Report him to IRS

11-Oct-21
That seems like something you can notify the Washington AG they usually prosecute cases like that.

11-Oct-21
Not a happy outcome for sure. Thanks for the 'beware', and the heads -up. Paul

11-Oct-21
Sounds like an outfitter that used to operate in TX and KS.

11-Oct-21
I'm with goelk, report him to IRS.

11-Oct-21
That stinks! Thanks for warning others about this POS!

11-Oct-21
I just read links link....lol.. Jerry springer stuff there.. sorry u got ripped off. Good luck on the next one...

11-Oct-21
Someone in Washington must 'know a guy, who knows a couple of guys... that could pay the guy a 'visit'

13-Oct-21
Sorry to about this happening Zebra-----

Thanks for the heads-up,

Robb

13-Oct-21
man this stuff makes me sick.... sorry to hear about your experience..

i've had a few bad ones but NOTHING like this

13-Oct-21
http://fishhuntplaces.com/?fh=5&lng=1&id=3352

Yep, lots of BAD reviews on this guy. Actually even more than the POS Cody Carr. Im putting Cody's name here too so anyone searching can find yet another NON recommendation on him as well. Not doing research nowadays will usually turn out bad. I hope you post a review in the OR section.

13-Oct-21
Just another example of why the capitalization of hunting will ultimately be its demise, IMO.

Sorry for your bad experience, Zebra.

Matt

13-Oct-21
Wow… sorry to hear it

13-Oct-21
Sounds like fraud. Sue his ass

13-Oct-21
That setup by the garage is just bizarre. I would have assumed "this is a joke". Not a funny one. Sorry for the experience.

13-Oct-21
You should get some results with the attorney general especially if you can get some others that got cheated involved. IRS is a dead end and make sure your house is in order before you do that

Zebra, I’m not being critical but it seems you got in to big of a hurry on this one. A little more time vetting him would have revealed lots of bad references and reports

Sorry that happened and I hope you can figure a way to get some satisfaction

15-Oct-21
Last year we were at a sports show and his son had a booth there. It was quite impressive as there were a bunch of photos of Jom Burnworth and his family with really impressive bulls. My hunting partner and I decided we would book the hunt but we would need to go back to the show the following day. I don't know exactly why I did it, but I decided to reach out to Jim and find out what he had to say. He followed up to me before we got to the show and said he has hunted with over 100 outfitters and this was the only one he would not recommend. He said he had asked them to quit using his photos. Needless to say we turned around before we got to the show and we were both thankful we saved our time and money. Thanks Jim!

15-Oct-21
After getting the “run around” at the airport about not being able to pick you up and the mix up on the hotel cost, why would you give any remainder of the deposit to another hunter?? The way it reads is the other hunter had nothing to do with the “guide” or operation.

17-Oct-21
A quick Google search….

17-Oct-21
My guess is if you went after him he would say you never paid him the remainder of the balance. I think having some random hunter collect it for him is intentional.

17-Oct-21
Ya...this sucks big time and ya hate to see someone get burned on a hunting trip. I suppose this reinforces the due diligence piece of the puzzle when considering outfitted hunts. BS's "Outfitter Reports" section is looking like a great tool to use to protect folks from poor quality....or in this case, maybe misleading/untruthful outfitters. Hopefully Z can get some kind of restitution out of this mess.

18-Oct-21
Yeah, asking another hunter to collect the balance for him would have sent up a HUGE RED FLAG! I would not have given any $$ to ANYBODY other than the outfitter- in person. If he did not make an attempt to meet me in person, he would not have gotten any more money from me.

19-Oct-21
I agree with some of the comments and yes did have a few red flags, but I also book about 7 hunts a year and have booked many many hunts with a phone call and those people are some of my best friends, today, I also have had many on here call me and book to go with me and we have had great time. Yes I got burned and it hurts , in every hunt you do you have to have some trust when you send that check out. This guy just turned out to be a POS but could have been a great hunt also you never know.

19-Oct-21
Yeah if you’re booking seven hunts a year for decades and you had one bad experience I’d say your model works pretty well

19-Oct-21
I guess it's human nature to WANT to think better of people and give them the benefit of the doubt............................................

20-Oct-21
That stings no doubt but it sounds like you are above average on success.

22-Oct-21
Yeah if you’re booking seven hunts a year for decades and you had one bad experience I’d say your model works pretty well

22-Oct-21
Got scammed in Alberta on a moose hunt. APOS, the outfittter association, came the dirt bag's defense. Whole thing felt rigged. So hard to be sure what you're getting into.

23-Oct-21
Lone bugle I feel for you it sucks

23-Oct-21
Cash for the balance told you everything you needed to know unfortunately. It's a shame people suck.

24-Oct-21

kscowboy's Link
"The father of the two little boys, Shane Barbour, said he and his children had just moved in. He told KOMO News that he knew his roommates had drug issues but said he didn't."

Looks like you booked with a real winner. Ray Charles with a keyboard could've learned all he needed to know on this guy. Lesson learned.

15-Nov-21
Shane Barbour is a con artist promising thousands of private land to hunt. My son and I bought elk hunts with rifle and my son never touched his rifle. Shane told us he had land that was bow only so bring your bow. From day one he had my son sit in a bow blind in a 20 acre field and for 3 days I sat in the middle of a thick woods next to houses with dogs barking and a guy shooting a pistol and another guy beating on metal. Shane even had us doing our own baiting which is legal I guess. My son actually carried bait for another hunter the first time out. We left after 2-1/2 days of a 5 day hunt. New we had been taken. We were really not happy and new if we stayed it would be so much worse. His outfitter name is Nothwest Outfitting but after reading other reviews he has probably changed the name.

15-Nov-21
Shane Barbour is a con artist promising thousands of private land to hunt. My son and I bought elk hunts with rifle and my son never touched his rifle. Shane told us he had land that was bow only so bring your bow. From day one he had my son sit in a bow blind in a 20 acre field and for 3 days I sat in the middle of a thick woods next to houses with dogs barking and a guy shooting a pistol and another guy beating on metal. Shane even had us doing our own baiting which is legal I guess. My son actually carried bait for another hunter the first time out. We left after 2-1/2 days of a 5 day hunt. New we had been taken. We were really not happy and new if we stayed it would be so much worse. His outfitter name is Nothwest Outfitting but after reading other reviews he has probably changed the name.

06-Dec-21
Yea he just got me to. I’m so stupid! I’m local and I’m going to go after him. I’ll be getting together a group of people who have been screwed. I’ll crush i His name in the industry so this doesn’t happen any more. They done screwed the wrong dude

15-Sep-22
Would love to talk to you as I'm in the middle of one of his bogus hunts and staying in Graham. Please reply asap

15-Sep-22
Be a shame if someone just happened to burn his truck to the ground.

15-Sep-22
Tbe guy needs to have a blanket party by every person he has screwed over, that would cure him.

15-Sep-22
Short rope in a tall tree would work better.

16-Sep-22
I guess Sassypickle didn’t have much luck! Sorry to hear the SCAM continues! : (

16-Sep-22
Damn AGAIN?!

24-Sep-22
To All,

Need some Help and information on this Shane Barbour AKA: (Hillbilly) Wife and I are from Northern CA. and have an Elk hunt coming up in November 2022 so real soon...After wiring Shane $10,000.00 as he “Shane Barbour” requested back in August 2022.

NOTE: I just had a good friend from Oregon just got back from a $12,500.00 (5) day archery hunt and it was "Not Good", he was very disgusted and left after a day and half. The whole thing was nothing like he was told and pretty much turned out to be just like everyone else's comments on this page along with other pages we have looked at.

Now we found out he (May Have Been) involved in a criminal gun shootout drug home with a police officer killed back in Jan 7-2018 in Tacoma, Washington in Pierce County. (Look it up) Again I’m not 100% if it is the same Shane Barbour and could be coincidental.

Shane also claims he doesn't do emails and seems to only want over the phone conversations "Seems to be a Reason" for his behavior and actions. Question: Shane seems to be a scam artist and a con artist at this point. Please if anyone can reach out to me directly at (530) 510-3369 or email at [email protected] would be very appreciated as I will be building a case on this so call scammer. There will be our local and State of Washington Law Enforcement along with Department of Fish and Game involved with my investigation as we build a case for court. Please any information from others will help us out as well so feel Free to Call or Email me direct. Sincerely, David

UPDATE: Unbelievable BS Hunt of a Lifetime Seriously don’t even call this a guided hunt for one there is No Guide! There’s Nothing but a Scum Bag trying to operate as a business as this is not a business and a complete scam of BS!….(Favorite line out of his mouth stay in your blind) it’s a False sense of hunting as you’re staring at a neighbor’s property houses or structures with kids and dogs all around you barking making noises even kids getting on a school bus. This is a very Dangerous Hunt literally shooting at someone’s home and all kinds of noises around you this is a Joke I can’t stress this enough. NOTE: This is all my personal opinion and seems to be all over the internet as well.

24-Sep-22
Holy Crap why would you send him $10,000? Prepaid?

24-Sep-22
You can’t make this up.

24-Sep-22
Measure twice, cut once. I learned that at a young age. When you’re putting down 5 figures you should “measure” several times.

24-Sep-22
As bad as it was for Zebra to get scammed, looks like it’s even worse than we thought. This sucker needs to be dealt with, but it’s evidently very hard to stop an unscrupulous outfitter. I tried my best, cooperated with the Iowa DNR and all trying to get Aaron Volkmar and Tails of the hunt prosecuted but to no avail. As far as I know he’s still scamming people. I did manage to get the deposit back and stopped payment on the second half, but that didn’t cover lost wages , gas, etc. for a trip from Texas to Iowa. That bastard still owes me !

24-Sep-22
I had an outfitter fail to pay me for guiding one season back in 2005. I sent him multiple invoices he signed for and he still didn't pay. 2 buddies and I drove to his ranch and loaded my truck full of equipment that totaled what he owed me. After his clients found out, they hunted with me 2 more years instead of him. If you had a contract, you could search his tax records and see what he owns and put liens on it. That's what I told a contractor that failed to pay me for mowing some Walmarts last year. I took two cops with me for standby. They weren't there for either party, just to keep the peace, but he didn't know that. Shook him up enough I got payment within 1 week.

05-Oct-22
Sassypickle, are you still local? There are 8 of us in the middle of an “elk hunt” right now here in Graham Wa. We were thinking this was a scam in the beginning but Shane keeps saying it’s just the weather, stay in the blind. I’ve seen several threads on several different sites. Thinking we are in the middle of another one of his scams we’ve been reading hundreds of comments about the same experiences.

05-Oct-22

Pyrannah's Link
wow, there has to be some accountability from this guy right!?

is this his website?

05-Oct-22
Hey that picture looks like some of my eastern-MA deer spots.

05-Oct-22
Yeah , how has this guy not been arrested for fraud?

05-Oct-22
How do people not at least do a internet search first?

05-Oct-22
Probably no criminal case against him. After all, he is putting them in a blind on a field so he is delivering an "elk hunt". It sounds like a very poor "elk hunt" but then selling a poor product isn't against the law. If he has misrepresented the quality of the hunt then a civil suit might be the only option for unhappy customers, but even that may be very difficult and expensive to win.

That's why it's important to read reviews and reach out to previous customers.

05-Oct-22

Aspen Ghost's Link
Here's an interesting thread from 2013. He's basically running the elk version of an urban deer hunt. And some of his clients are indeed successful. There are elk in the area and some do eventually visit his bait piles. But it's a style of elk hunting that most folks would not enjoy.

05-Oct-22

05-Oct-22
Ryan x2…. Just seeing how he filled his address in on the website is a red flag… Jeeze oh man

05-Oct-22
I agree with Aspen Ghost. You’ll always have guys that don’t do much or any research, not sure what you expect.

06-Oct-22
On Aspen Ghosts link I saw a post from the Admin on that thread. Wonder how this would work here on DJT threads.

"Just a reminder to keep it factual. Please no conjecture, assumptions, or any other type of dog piling that has occurred in the past on this topic. Basically if you make a statement lacking factual value, it will be removed."

11-Oct-22
Anybody that would like to discuss this I can get you in contact with more clients and can give more details. I can also give the numerous past outfitting names he went by and tell his scammed enough people and had to change it.

25-Oct-22
I hunted with this scam artist in September. Total BS. I blame myself for not checking better before booking with him. Noticed he has taken down his facebook page. He says he is going to the RMEF Show in Vegas I hope to see him there I will out him in front of everyone.

25-Oct-22
Get em caltex. Get it on video so we can get a laugh lol

25-Oct-22
Unless someone gets law enforcement involved NOTHING will happen

26-Oct-22
Is this the guy that baits with apples in Washington. Had a good thread about that place years ago.

03-Nov-22
Shane took me for a ton of money, never saw one deer or one elk in five days. He promises everyone lets arrows fly, but, if you do not harvest an elk in September you can come back in November for free. The guy ghosted me a month ago. I’m not sure which course of action I’m going to take at this point.

03-Nov-22
Guys like this are the reason why the good outfitters are asked 1,000 questions upfront.

03-Nov-22
never used a guide never will no reason to

11-Nov-22
We just got back on the 9th, we were there for a 5 day elk hunt starting on the 5th. We ended it on the 3rd day of sitting in a blind staring at a tree for 11 hours a day. We have been taken as well. I want to stop him from doing this to anyone else, have filed numerous reports.

11-Nov-22
You guys that have been cheated need to get together and file a lawsuit on this guy

Ultimag goes without saying you are an idiot

11-Nov-22
You guys that have been cheated need to get together and file a lawsuit on this guy

Ultimag goes without saying you are an idiot

11-Nov-22
I'm going into the crooked outfitters gig. Evidently there is so many idiots out there that won't do a simple Google search before throwing their money on the table.

12-Nov-22
Ultimag what species do you hunt and where

12-Nov-22
RK- UltiVag is Shanes lead guide.....

13-Nov-22
How can a guy like this still get new hunters? Simple Google search would prevent the pain….

13-Nov-22
Maybe there is a context going on and the 500th guy who ignores rudimentary pre hunt diligence and books will get a real hunt for free.

14-Nov-22
I was also scam by NW outfitters (shane Barbour, aka hillbilly) first of all I do take full responsibility for not doing my homework on this guy. Having said this my goal is to do whatever I can to minimize this happening to another hunter. I will keep my experience to this ,I had a 7-day hunt and left after 2 days. I was placed in same blind as zebra killer 20yds behind a house on a pile of apples. I was promised a full guided hunt on approximately 120 thousand acre ranch. No guided hunt ,no 120 thousand acre ranch. I've talked with several other hunters that fell victim to this asshole. Don't be his next. Research him we have his full criminal back ground information, leans and judgment etc. It's is a fact he does kill a elk now and then . Unbelievable, very unsafe for the fact you truly will be hunting in a neighborhood not joking. I personally will be at the sporting show in redding California to do whatever it takes to stop this scam artist and I encourage anyone that this has happened to do the same. My cell is 530-604-3922 and email is [email protected].

15-Nov-22
folks wanting to help others not fall prey should post on more active hunt forums as well. Sorry to see folks getting fleeced. Sadly, bowsite is barely kicking any more in terms of active posting and participation. Miss the good ole days when bowsite was where its at for connecting with bow hunters.

15-Nov-22
What did he charge you brownie

15-Nov-22
Y’all don’t find it interesting that these people that “got taken” all say they didn’t do their research…..but they come on Bowsite to bitch about it…..probably one of the least visited sites for visibility. :-/

16-Nov-22
Brownie-

Don’t blame yourself at All you trusted another man’s word and gave him respect by giving him your hard earned money and he straight up took your money like a scumbag and didn’t do what he said- That’s Bad Business on him Not you…. Read the internet and all the reviews about him, he has done this to so many other people including myself and my family. He travels all over to these sport expo shows and set up his booth and makes promises and promotes his hunts and then when you get there you’re literally hunting in someone’s else backyard with junk cars and junk all around you not to mention all the noise from neighbors being in your shooting range. You as an owner for your gun in 100% responsible for your actions “Not” scumbag Shane Barbour. This is so dangerous surprisingly no one has been shot yet. I met one neighbor that had no idea there was a tree stand pointing right at his house within 150’ feet “Not” yards….. Unbelievable and Absolutely BS!!! On top of this his contracts are not legit and are very basic and not signed by both parties so legally it’s not a binding contract. Read all the comments how he demands money and a wire transaction which is like handing over someone Cash! Once it’s done it’s done and that scumbag had me wire over $10k then puts us in a shit whole property in a blind with a fence line 35’ in front of me and my wife…. Stay in your blind the elk are in the area the apples are gone get back in your blind as there is absolutely no sign of elk around me “No” elk prints, elk shit, apples scrapes, etc. absolutely no sign of any type of elk activity “Zero” “But stay in your blind” Shanes favorite saying giving you a false since of hunting…. This Scumbag is Not a good person at all to do business with and honestly I would t even call this a business because I can almost bet this guy doesn’t pay taxes on all the money he makes … Scumbag of the Earth!!!!

NOTE: THERES NO GUIDE SERVICE!!!!! NOTE: This is my opinion…..

17-Nov-22

dcsteel's embedded Photo
Complete Joke of a Elk Hunt Note: This is my opinion……
dcsteel's embedded Photo
Complete Joke of a Elk Hunt Note: This is my opinion……
Literally one of many spots you will be hunting in harms way doing a so called guided elk hunt in people’s backyards…. Note- There’s No Guide Very Dangerous!!!

17-Nov-22
Do you walk in that way because of the wind?

17-Nov-22
I bet the neighbors (George or Allan) would let you hunt for half of what Shane charges.

18-Nov-22
Were you able to use the neighbors bathrooms and grab a cup of coffee when the action was slow?

18-Nov-22
Sorry this happened to you. Thank you for posting. It is embarrassing in a weird way when you get scammed by a thief. You are the man for posting

18-Nov-22
Be sure to do an outfitter review on here. Those are very important for future reference. I always run a check on here before booking.

19-Nov-22
Ultimag what species do you hunt and where

16-Jan-23

kscowboy's Link
Looks like someone just submitted a report. Too bad that it's Shane, not "Shawn." If this can get this fixed, it will help for future internet searches by prospective hunters.

16-Jan-23
Ouch. That dude really got burned. The audacity of this joker is something else. At this point, I don't think he will ever run out of suckers.

16-Jan-23

kscowboy's Link
Look at auction item 314. Someone is going to be pissed at Grand Slam Club/Ovis for this lot.

17-Jan-23
“I am an experienced hunter, have been a member of the SCI National for over 35 years. I have been on over 150 guided hunts”

And he still got scammed?! LOL… dumb dumb.

17-Jan-23
Guy books a guided hunt. Gets scammed. Then decides to research the outfitter and finds a long history of scams. Boo hoo.

Some guys will do anything for a 400 "point" elk.

17-Jan-23
KScowboy that is unreal wow thanks for posting

17-Jan-23
He did get personally guided by “SKY” so there is that!

17-Jan-23
Was Sky hot? Asking for a friend.

17-Jan-23

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo

17-Jan-23
Not missing anything with eyes like that Rick! :)

17-Jan-23
400 point elk he was promised. Never even heard of a 400 point elk before.

17-Jan-23
I was wondering the same, John. Would that be a 200 x 200?

17-Jan-23
Someone didn't do his homework or he's trolling. Who other than a high fence operation guarantees a 400 inch elk?

17-Jan-23
When the outfitter told him the hunt was practically guaranteed because he personally feeds the elk. Wouldn't that put up a 'red flag' for most people?!

17-Jan-23
When the outfitter told him the hunt was practically guaranteed because he personally feeds the elk. Wouldn't that put up a 'red flag' for most people?!

17-Jan-23
Sorry about the double post

17-Jan-23
No worries on the double post Bob. The guy should have taken a double take on the guarantee.

17-Jan-23
I'm still wondering who averages over five guided hunts a year for 30 years!

17-Jan-23
And let themselves get taken like that. Just saying

17-Jan-23
The outfitter is listed to be at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg PA in February.

17-Jan-23
This must be one big scary dude because he shood have had his ass kicked by now! Hundreds of disgruntled hunters and not one put a beating on him?

17-Jan-23
hntr4477, I suspect there are a lot of hunters who see this "hunt" as an easy way to possibly kill a big bull with minimal effort. As with most things, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

17-Jan-23
I have no direct knowledge of this guy. I only have my perceptions from this thread and others that I’ve stumbled across.

But the numerous review threads, the posted police reports and newspaper articles…

How can GSCO have him at the convention? And whether there or in Harrisburg, I would imagine that word has to be traveling around and his booths will be chit-shows.

17-Jan-23
I second the last post. It really brings down all other items being auctioned when you have crap like this being “donated” and sold.

18-Jan-23
This is a recent report on the reviews.

bought a $5,000 hunt from Northwest Outfitting for Saturday, January 8, 2022, at the Dallas SCI show from Mr. Barbour son. I spoke to Mr. Barbour Sr. who stated in the package he would personally pick me up from the airport on September 9, 2022, and promised to personally guide me on a solo hunt for a 400-point elk during the September 10, 2022 opening day hunt trip. During the SCI show Mr. Barbour tried selling me a $25,000 400-point bull hunt. Which I declined.

Two months later, I received a call from Mr. Barbour stating if I gave him an additional $5,000 more, he would secure the lease and could have me on a personal hunt on opening day. I asked how do you know the 400-point elk will be there and Mr. Barbour said he personally feeds the elk and the 400-point elk will be there. I flew in in on Friday, Mr. Barbour said he would be there to pick me up from the airport, get my license and etc. He never showed up instead a lady called a stated Mr. Barbour’s son was busy and that she would be guiding me.

The young lady’s name was Sky. I was extremely upset! The next morning Sky (a 21 year old inexperienced guide) picked me up and instead of being in a field, I was in someone’s backyard. I went up into a tree, 25 yards away there was a bushel of apples. No elk in sight anywhere, during my hunt period! There were deer but no elk. I called Shawn Barbour (the son) and complained there was no elk on the property, I was upset I did not get the personal hunt Mr. Barbour promised. Shawn Barbour (the son) said the elk moved out of the field and told me to stop complaining.

That afternoon he put me in a field with three other hunters where he said the elk would be. We all were within 100 yards of each other. I mentioned to Shawn Barbour that I thought I was supposed to be in an area specifically for myself, the other four hunters are just decoys to my right. Shawn said the hunter’s scent will bring the elk right to you. I said this is all bullshit! After dark I complained over and over to Shawn and he told me to be patient. Sunday morning, no personal guided tour by Mr. Barbour, I was placed with Sky once again and was placed in a field with four additional hunters, no elk in sight.

Sunday night, again no Mr. Barbour to take me on the property I lease for a solo hunt. I was placed with Sky again, in a field with four other hunters with no elk in sight. Morning and night no elk anywhere! Sunday evening, I went to dinner with one of the hunters from Wisconsin. Brent, and two other additional hunters from Florida were furious about the lack of integrity of the hunt. Monday morning same thing but when I went to my blind, they said we could not go in. I sat in my car for two hours! Shawn finally showed up with hunters and stated there were all kinds of elk here and to be patient.

At that point I knew I had been taken advantage of. I flew back home early that evening. The hunters I had dinner with stated they hunted in the special area blind I paid for. I conduct some research on the internet and found that the outfitter Hillbilly (Shawn Barbour) has a mile long criminal history, has been stealing from hunters for quite some time. They bragged about so called offering hunters discounts if they paid up front via Venmo, or wire transfer just so they did not have to pay Federal taxes.

I am an experienced hunter, have been a member of the SCI National for over 35 years. I have been on over 150 guided hunts, and I have been on the Hunt Donors Committee for Phoenix and Detroit and have been at the Dallas Safari Convention several times and will be attending the 2023 show. I am beyond upset with the Northwest Outfitting company who scammed me and many other hunters out of tens of thousands of thousands of dollars.

18-Jan-23
I'm still want to see one of these "400-point" elk. LOL!

Matt

18-Jan-23
Points is an SCI term for measuring animals

18-Jan-23

kscowboy's Link
Someone is about to piss away $2,500. Anxious to see what this sells for on Saturday. Note that it's deer, not elk, but still the same outfitter--can't imagine a better outcome with this being a different species.

18-Jan-23
I still remember the one outfitter who showed up in Chicago after the caribou fiasco.

I'm glad I dug deeper years ago about Cody Carr saved him some health problems. ;)

20-Jan-23
Looks like the hunt got removed from the auction. Props to Grand Slam/Ovis for making the right choice here.

20-Jan-23
150 guided hunts but he still believed and wanted that “400 point elk”. Wonder how many 200 point Muleys or whitetails he’s got under his belt…

21-Jan-23
There are lots of deer farms where you can buy a big elk and kill it. Why go through all this?

21-Jan-23
Just an FYI- GSCO pulled this outfitters donated hunt from their auction tonight. I heard it was in part due to this thread.

Sandbrew

22-Jan-23
The funny thing is, if the hunt hadn’t been pulled one guy would’ve been likely hurt, but at least his pain would’ve gone towards conservation.

As long as the outfitter is still in business everybody else that goes and get hurt all that money is just gonna go to him.

He needs to be shut down and realistically any Hunter familiar with Google basically could prevent their pain because it doesn’t take a forensic deep dive to steer clear of this guy

23-Jan-23
what comes to mind here is the al michaels titled book --you cant make this up----

are you kidding me hunters with this kind of hunting experience and they get scammed-i dont feel so bad for myself now -the hunts with shane could not of even intrigued me when he would of said he feeds them himself-sorry but that tells me what kind of hunters a lot of people have become-but it will be your story and you can tell it like you want !!!

23-Jan-23
And Bou' nothing likely will happen in the near future. Maybe As he screws more people enough real evidence will get put together to put his ass away. Through the years I've seen several outfitters get arrested at sports shows. Booth shut down or a police detective worked the rest of the show from the outfitter booth gathering more evidence against the outfitter. I saw that happen once in Harrisburg and once in Monroeville pa

21-Nov-23
It appears there's always a sucker out there. How do you buy a hunt and not check online for any reviews? Also how do you not look for references or reviews when someone claims to be selling you a $4,500 guaranteed 400" elk? LOL.

Recent Review posted to bow site. Unreal..... Maybe the poster should have checked bow site last year before sending a deposit.

"Northwest Outfitting, Shawn Barbour is a complete scam. My uncle and father in law purchased an elk hunt in march 2023, $4500 X 2, then paid $2000 in advance for 400 pt bull elk, guaranteed or $2000 refunded. Sent pictures of elk that are all over internet, he claims are on his trail cams. My uncle passed away in September 2030, so I called Northwest Outfitting to see about transferring hunt to myself. They told me $1850 to transfer hunt, had to be by venmo right away. Then he asked me if I knew other hunters interested and he would reduce price. I had a bad vibe, but my father in law is 73, hunted all his life and was overly excited, especially since his brother just passed away and it was their trip. We arrived Nov, 7th and met “Sam” at a gas station the next morning at 6:45. We had to ride with other hunters to hunt site and while “Sam” took another hunter to a site where dogs and people were about 100 yards in the distance. Hunter could see 2 houses about 150 yards from blind. When our group reached our hunt site with no guide , “Sam” proceeded by phone to instruct us how to get to box blinds. The elk we’re going to be within 30-50 yards from blind. These blinds were about 100 yards behind houses and about 80 yards apart, not mention we all have high powered rifles with no guided assistance. No signs of elk or guides either, complete hoax as well extremely unsafe. I told Sam we were experienced hunters that there were no elk. I wanted $2000 refund for my Father in law supposed 400 class elk. He’s response was do not trespass on my land. Not sure if any legal action is an option. Hope anyone interested in doing business with this outfitter is aware that is completely bogus. Northwest Outfitting needs to be exposed. Rob"

21-Nov-23
OMG he still at it i feel his pain unreal.

21-Nov-23
It’s bad taste to blame the victim but this is the fault of the victim. Come on man. You have to do some research.

22-Nov-23
HOW is this CROOK still in business???!!!

22-Nov-23
He has a clientele so the cash flow keeps him in operation.

22-Nov-23
Yes- but I don’t understand how these outfitters who are basically SCAMMING hunters out of their money and NEVER providing anything CLOSE to the hunt that was advertised....................how are they NOT getting shut down???!!!

27-Nov-23
Gift to gab. I had a friend that was at the Harrisburg PA show this past FEB and got talked into a hunt. Lots of big talk high guarantees and reasonable price. He swallowed the hook. Called me and ask me if I was interested in joining him. After some research I told him not only no but hell no. Guys reputation was just like the guy in this post. Horrible to say the least. Buddy had just mailed in a check. Called the bank, canceled the check them called the mail service an had the mailing returned. He was a lucky one.

27-Nov-23
"...how are they NOT getting shut down???!!! "

There is no one to shut him down because he is providing a legal hunt. It's a lousy hunt but his customers are getting a "hunt". He's probably over-promising and embellishing the hunt but a prosecutor isn't going to go after him unless he's confident that 100% he will win the case. The over-promising/embellishing is very difficult to prove in court.

The only way that he stops is if people stop sending him money or he decides to quit on his own.

28-Nov-23
Over promising and under delivering will seldom rise to the level of a crime. People need to use common sense to protect themselves first.

28-Nov-23
https://komonews.com/news/local/suspect-in-gun-battle-with-deputy-killed-himself

Is the Shane Barbour living in a crack house the same “guide”?

28-Nov-23
Well, I don’t call sitting in a blind within sight of a house much of an ELK hunt! Isn’t there any common sense left in the world?! I would think all the hunters would need to do is show pictures of the houses from inside the blind ...................

28-Nov-23
Yet, Cody Carr is still operating as well. Much higher level scammer though.

28-Nov-23
I particularly got a chuckle out of this line

"Northwest Outfitting needs to be exposed. Rob"

What's the point if no one pays attention to the "exposure."

28-Nov-23
Over promising and under delivering will seldom rise to the level of a crime. People need to use common sense to protect themselves first.

28-Nov-23
I just learned about an Outfitter that takes around 30 or 40 rifle Hunters into a remote area in Montana to hunt elk each year. He lies and tells stories of elk killed and posts pictures that are also lies. Someone that worked for him for one year told me not a single hunter has taken an elk with him in over a decade.

24-Mar-24
Just so everyone is aware Shane has changed the name of his guide service again to Urban outfitting. His website is urbanoutfitting.net don’t fall for this scammer!

24-Mar-24
By the way he hunts in backyards over apples, “urban” is appropriately included in his company name.

24-Mar-24
Hunting for elk from a tree. Yup, just like Randy Newburg and Steve Rinella do every time they chase elk.

I feel bad for the folks that got taken. But man, some of these stories are just ridiculous. Next thing someone is going to say that Shane promised him a 400 "point" elk in massachusetts. Yikes.

24-Mar-24
“Yup, just like Randy Newburg and Steve Rinella do every time they chase elk.“

What?… didn’t really sense any sarcasm in you statement but am hoping it’s there and I just missed it.

24-Mar-24
Ya, you missed it

25-Mar-24
Lol. Lots of elk are killed every year from treestands.

25-Mar-24
" Next thing someone is going to say that Shane promised him a 400 "point" elk in massachusetts."

Don't be a chump. We ain't got anything over 350 here ;-)

• Sitka Gear