Grey Ghost 14-Oct-21
Bowfreak 14-Oct-21
deerhunter72 14-Oct-21
HDE 14-Oct-21
Supernaut 14-Oct-21
tinecounter 14-Oct-21
DanaC 14-Oct-21
13-Oct-21
....who was a Star Trek junkie, and was moved by watching Willian Shatner return to earth, and express his gratitude for the experience? It gave me hope for the future.

Matt

13-Oct-21
Yup , your the only one.

13-Oct-21
LOL! Great reply! Hopefully this thread gets the “good thread” approval.

13-Oct-21
I thought it was pretty cool!

13-Oct-21
Star Trek junkie here. I will still kick back on a Saturday night, crack a cold one or three, put on Netflix and watch a few episodes. I did not get to see it live, just some clips. Was definitely a good feeling listening to him recount his adventure.

13-Oct-21
Yeah, I thought it was cool seeing Captain Kirk actually go into space! I grew up watching the reruns of Star Trek back in the 70's. Unfortunately, you're always going to get some kind of negative comment from some junkie/loser like above.

13-Oct-21
I recall vividly the moon landing in 1969. What happened today was .0001 as important or complex, and 50 plus years later. If you enjoyed it, great.

13-Oct-21
Good for him! I for. You could see that he was genuinely grateful for the opportunity. Hope I'm in that good of shape at 90.

13-Oct-21
The moon landing is why I became a Star Trek junky, Dale. Thanks for the reminder. I got an A on those test questions a few years later than when you watched it live. :-).

Matt

13-Oct-21
I’ll be the one. I didn’t like Star Trek and I don’t like Shatner. I couldn’t care less what he does. There, I feel better ! ;-)

13-Oct-21
Would have been even better if he wore a Captain Kirk Starfleet uniform.

13-Oct-21

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Since we are self censoring nonbowhunting threads I'll fix this one with a pic of Shatner.

I probably saw every Star Trek episode 5 or 6 times.

13-Oct-21
It’s been a long time ago, but I think I remember shatner killing a brown or grizzly bear with a recurve on the American Sportman show. Late 60s. Maybe early 70s. That was pretty cool too. Anyway….he seems to still be in pretty good shape and enjoying life. Maybe because he has a good sense of humor. :-)

13-Oct-21
9 minutes $250,000

13-Oct-21
Photo is funny, cause ole Captain Kirk turned into an animal right activist...

13-Oct-21
He the guy that flew that falcon spaceship?

13-Oct-21
Here we go…too funny!

Matt.

13-Oct-21
Zbone's on target. Shatner flipped from hunter to anti-hunter. FWIW years ago internet story (so most be true) about Fred Bear asking Shatner to leave a Polar Bear hunt, because he refused to track down a bear he'd wounded before going after another bear.

13-Oct-21
He's a real greenie now. So I imagine the rocket was solar powered?

13-Oct-21
Still waiting for one of these joy rides to actually get into space.

14-Oct-21
All you Shatner fanboys!!! Sorry, couldn’t resist!!!

14-Oct-21
true or false - Shatner was the first Star Trek actor to actually reach outer space.

14-Oct-21

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
Drycreek, we curse you ;-)

14-Oct-21
I loved Star Trek and all the western style tv shows as a kid. I think it was very cool watching Capt Kirk go into space.

$250k is a bargain for that ride.

Can you imagine what NASA would have to charge for that same ride.

When we return to the moon, then maybe I’ll believe we did it the first time:^)))

Why do space craft only go so far into space. This side on the radiation belt. All the energy has already been used to get past gravity and it uses very little additional fuel to go another 100,000 miles. Why do they not go future after all these years. Russia, China the US all the same distance???

A laptop could run a craft there and back now. But still not even an orbit around the moon??!

14-Oct-21
" Can you imagine what NASA would have to charge for that same ride. "

Say what you want about Musk and Bezos, they ain't begging Congress for funding, they're putting their own money where their mouth is and making it happen. Eventually they *will* turn a profit. Capitalism still works.

14-Oct-21
Exactly, this is just another example that when people spend their own money. Not a Govt. program.

Some how the results are usually faster, cheaper and better.

14-Oct-21
He’s a dam anti-hunter and should receive no accolades, here!

14-Oct-21
Glad to see I'm not the only one who views these flights as a win for private enterprise and capitalism.

I'm also not surprised to see some attempt to make this thread about Shatner's politics. That's unfortunate.

Matt

14-Oct-21
i believe musk gets alot of help from the goverment for his car company, so he's spending your money! right on bc173!

14-Oct-21
Here is an interesting piece of Shatner trivia. Michael Myers, yep Halloween Michael Myers, wears a William Shatner face mold mask in the Halloween movies.

14-Oct-21
It isn't all Bezos and Musk's money, NASA has awarded both of their companies billions in contracts. And I approve, they can do it much cheaper than NASA can by itself, and hopefully with even better quality. But to think Bezos and Musk are doing all of this with their own capital is just plain wrong, our taxes are still funding the bulk of space exploration costs.

14-Oct-21
Pretty damn cool to see.

14-Oct-21
Not a Trekie over here, but, appreciate seeing people do something they never felt they would. That's cool. And his experience is in that category.

14-Oct-21
Government subsidies and grants are different than government contracts. When Lockheed Martin builds missiles for the military, they aren't being "subsidized" with taxpayer's money. They are providing a product to the government in return for compensation. It's my understanding that SpaceX's government contracts are no different.

Matt

14-Oct-21
I was never a Star Trek fan, I actually liked girls. :)

14-Oct-21
Never cared for Star Trek. As Supernaut pointed out, the only thing I like about Shatner was that they used a mask of him to make the Michael Myers mask for Halloween, and that was kind of a joke on him I think. As far as Musk and Bezos, they are welcome to spend their money however they like.

14-Oct-21
"I'm also not surprised to see some attempt to make this thread about Shatner's politics."

All I asked if he was that same guy that flew around with the tall sasquatch and those other ones with laser swords. Didn't mean anything by it.

14-Oct-21
HDE, I think you're thinking of those Harry Potty movies. They rode brooms and jousted with their laser swords I think, I could be wrong.

14-Oct-21
No thread mention of Shatner's political party affiliation (so far), just his anti-hunting stance which dampens my "hope for the future." Shatner and any attempt to laud him is "fair game" to me.

14-Oct-21
People here 'mention...his anti-hunting stance' but I've seen -zero- references to source material.

• Sitka Gear