SDHNTR(home) 17-Oct-21
15-Oct-21

JH's embedded Photo
JH's embedded Photo
JH's embedded Photo
JH's embedded Photo
JH's embedded Photo
JH's embedded Photo
Anyone ever have a Kuiu pack frame warp like this? It was in the backseat of my truck for a few weeks. I can only assume the heat did this. It’s honestly not been that hot around here lately. Its lasted me 7 years without issue, until now.

Customer service says this is “normal wear and tear”. Not going to replace it.

15-Oct-21
It is certainly disappointing. I’ve been a long time customer with them. I guess it’s time to look elsewhere for a new pack.

15-Oct-21
Correct me if I’m wrong here but this is the old discontinued icon pack frame right? Been gone about 7 years.

Definitely warped from heat. Not kuius fault. Would be like leaving your bow in the car and having it blow up, which every manufacturers would in the right circumstances.

Hard for them to do anything on a discounted pack frame.

15-Oct-21
It is the Icon frame. On the issue of the heat, I agree leaving a bow in the back seat would not be a good idea, but shouldn’t a pack frame be able to withstand a little heat better than this?

15-Oct-21

15-Oct-21
Inside localized heat is way more intense than outside heat. You might be able to straighten it back out with a heat gun and a fixture to hold it in place while it cools.

15-Oct-21
Agree on using heat to try to straighten it. Not sure how Kuiu would be responsible for that.

15-Oct-21
Dang it that sucks. But the packs are made to withstand every-day weather on earth, not under a magnifying glass. It sucks because that could happen to anyone by not being careful, but I have to agree that it is not their fault. All materials have their own drawbacks as to what is their downfall. If it was made of aluminum pipe that wouldn't have happened, but you probably didn't want a pack with the characteristics of an aluminum pipe frame.

Unfortunately we, as consumers make mistakes time to time. In my opinion it is not up to the manufacturers to cover off our mistakes. Such expectations would only lead to higher prices to begin with so that companies can have no fault warranties.

15-Oct-21
I guess let this be a lesson. Don’t leave your Kuiu pack in the truck.

17-Oct-21
Joshua, let us know if you try to straighten it and how it turns out.

17-Oct-21
Bullsh!t... I leave my Kuiu pack in the back seat of my truck all the time. No problems

17-Oct-21
FWIW…..Kuiu has a sale going on right now on packs. Up to 25% off on some models. Not sure if you’re wanting to stay with Kuiu.

17-Oct-21
So, I was able to get it somewhat usable with a hair dryer. Kind of surprised really that a hair dryer will get this carbon fiber hot enough to bend. It’s still got a warp from top to bottom that I can’t fix. I’ve been looking at different packs and EXO has caught my attention. Titanium frame. I think at this point I’m done with carbon fiber frames.

17-Oct-21

JH's embedded Photo
JH's embedded Photo
Found a crack in the process. Not sure how long it’s been there. Luckily it’s on the side of the frame where the load is cinched down on. It flex’s into the crack when loaded, so not sure it will ever completely break.

17-Oct-21

JH's embedded Photo
JH's embedded Photo
Found a crack in the process. Not sure how long it’s been there. Luckily it’s on the side of the frame where the load is cinched down on. It flex’s into the crack when loaded, so not sure it will ever completely break.

17-Oct-21
Jeez. I seem to be the king of double posts. Not sure why it’s doing that.

17-Oct-21
Heat softens the resin, same as with laminated bow limbs back in the day.

17-Oct-21
Regardless of fault, why is it the only pack frame failures you ever hear about are from the same company? And yes, to answer your question, I’ve seen that crack/break happen in the exact same place on four or five of those frames. Even without heat.

• Sitka Gear