Habitat 10-Jan-22
jdan 10-Jan-22
wyobullshooter 10-Jan-22
BULELK1 25-Jan-22
BULELK1 25-Jan-22
BULELK1 25-Jan-22
BULELK1 25-Jan-22
21-Oct-21
Checking if anyone has advise for DIY WY moose.My wife has points and we are looking at burning next year if we can with 19 points. Have hunted Moose in CO and WY with outfitter before.

21-Oct-21
I hunter around Fox park, a couple years ago and saw lots of moose sign, rubs, scrapes even found a shed paddle. Saw 2 bulls and a cow. I was after elk, no elk sign ran into a deer hunter that said he had hunted that area for 15 or so years. He said as soon as the moose moved in the elk moved out. it was pretty good terrain

21-Oct-21
Won't be able to draw that tag with 19 points.... That's a max point area. I have friends here that can't draw that tag with max points, as a resident. There were 3 non res tags allotted this year... 4 people with 23 points put in. There was 1 random draw tag allotted and 651 people put in for it... Tuff odds, but someone has to draw it... I just don't have luck like that

21-Oct-21
A few areas with those PP, I assume she wants a bull ? You'll need to talk with some biologists to see how access is in the areas she could draw. Draw odds are online. Very doable for moose in Wyoming in areas with access. 38 will not be drawn with her PP.

21-Oct-21
I drew unit 5, with 19 points, this year.

22-Oct-21
I have huntin fool so I usually start there and check public land amounts

22-Oct-21
Do it now, because moose populations in WY are crashing pretty much everywhere except close to the CO border in the max point units.

22-Oct-21
Not all over Lou, some areas are doing fine in addition to 38. Saw plenty of moose this fall on our 2 trips over for the spouse's bull. Most cows had calves at their side and young bulls abounded.

22-Oct-21
WYTEX so you hunted 38?

25-Oct-21

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Saw a lot of moose around Burgess Junction in the Bighorns this fall. Not sure what moose unit that is.

25-Oct-21
I'm setting on 19 points too going into 2022 at 62 years of age and planning on retiring in the next year or two, is there any premium units I could possibly draw in a couple years before I'm too old?

25-Oct-21
^^^^A quick look at the Drawing Odds on the Wyoming Game and Fish website will show you what you’re up against. Your only hope for a premium area is in the random draw and you’re a point or so behind in most other areas as well. Keep in mind that several areas don’t even have a random draw quota.

Unfortunately, due to many factors, moose quotas have been significantly reduced from what they were 15-20 years ago so the backlog of point holders will only continue to get worse.

26-Oct-21
90/10 will be coming soon enough as well. Strangle things a bit more.

26-Oct-21
Habitat we hunted in 24 this year, have taken moose out of 26 and 40 also. We hunt elk in moose 38 and have a 1 nacre lot in 38, see lots of moose in there all over. Some areas do have drastic reductions in populations, disease and wolves. Some areas are doing fine. Do the research on drawing odds .

04-Jan-22
I had a Bull tag last year in the Bighorns. Iv'e been hunting the horns since the early 90's and I have never seen so many moose. Cows, Bulls, and Calves are all up big time. So you if you have a good amount of points, like over 20, I would strongly consider putting in the nextd couple of years. Good luck!!!

04-Jan-22
What are the premium units and how many likely points to draw? Thanks

05-Jan-22
The WY Task Force has sent their 90/10 recommendation to the TRW Committee and I've heard the legislation has been written. It will surely pass the legislature since it came from that Committee, and most likely be in effect for 2023. The Task Force is also thinking hard about changing the big 5 point system to random bonus points. When/if that happens the top point holders are done with any type of draw guarantee.

06-Jan-22
Bob, when you say big 5, which species in particular are you talking about, moose, sheep, mt goat, elk and bison?

08-Jan-22
If anyone wants to have a look see @ 26 or 23, reach out to me as I've done a couple threads of photo/scouting on those units via our Bowsite.

Good luck, Robb

08-Jan-22
Sheep, moose, mountain goat, bison and grizzly.

09-Jan-22
Doug - Thanks for the private message, much obliged...

10-Jan-22
Thanks for the ideas,We have done several DIY type elk hunts so just getting a tag in an area that might hold moose is the important part and then maybe renting a packer if lucky.

10-Jan-22
For those in the know, is unit 38/41 that superior to other units in the state that it warrants 2-3 more points to draw than the others? JD

10-Jan-22
^^^^ Yes, there are reasons area 38/41 is extremely high demand. Lots of public land, mild to moderate terrain, and no griz. An occasional stray wolf may pass through, although if it hangs around long it’ll soon be someone’s rug. Oh yeah, there’s also a healthy moose population. ;-)

25-Jan-22

BULELK1's Link
I've gotten quite a few requests for intel but I've been out of town for a while------>Sorry

I'll just post the links and you all can read thru them

Good luck, Robb

25-Jan-22

BULELK1's Link

25-Jan-22

BULELK1's Link
Another area of #26

I've got 1 more for the east side of #26, I've just got to find it.

I hope these help,

Robb

25-Jan-22

BULELK1's Link
Found it from 2018

Have fun!

Robb

• Sitka Gear