Michael 24-Oct-21
Z Barebow 24-Oct-21
bghunter 24-Oct-21
Coyote 65 24-Oct-21
bghunter 24-Oct-21
wildwilderness 24-Oct-21
SDHNTR(home) 24-Oct-21
24-Oct-21
Got back from my first mule deer hunt in WY, it was with rifle and was for a management deer, but loved it. So now that I am hooked, I want to go after them again. I plan to start applying in AZ and will start building points in WY again. Since I have no points in any states I know I am way behind however any other states you would suggest? I know UT and NV have great deer, but I am not sure if it is worth applying there as I thought odds were not good at all. Not thay AZ is any better, but I met someone who can assist me with a hunt there, so gonna start there.

24-Oct-21
Umm, Colorado arguably has the best Mule deer herd. Lots of tags and can draw every year. Will take time for the best units in the best rifle seasons, but archery is easy to get a tag. The hardest part will be picking a unit.

Utah has good deer as well and general tags are relatively easy for NR, especially during archery season. The limited units will take forever to draw.

I have yet to hunt NV but the archery tags seem accessible to draw.

24-Oct-21
UT would not be on my list if I was just starting out. Sure, there's a couple units where you can shoot a big deer, but they take 20+ points even for archery. And the way point creep is going, you may never catch up even if you build several decades of points.

Although CO is on a downward trend (just like everywhere out west for mulies), it would be definitely be on my list. There's a variety of different units and terrain and the wait for a tag isn't nearly as long as UT/AZ/NV if you don't put in for the "premier" units.

24-Oct-21
Thanks guys. I dont know why I didn't think of Colorado.

I figured UT was a no go based on my research so far.

I won't be able to hunt every year anyways right now to much going on, so waiting a few years isn't a big deal. I just didn't want to wait until I was 90 to draw lol.

24-Oct-21
By then 90 will be the new 70, go for it.

24-Oct-21
I have had good bow hunts in Utah with general tags and drew them both with zero points.

There are a handful of units in Co I like for 4th season that won’t take to terribly long to draw.

24-Oct-21
I have 11 md points in CO and I have no clue when or where I am going to burn them. Most know the Gunnison area has nice bucks. But the population has suffered due to bad winters.

24-Oct-21
Huntcell good point.

I am thinking I will do one more with a rifle, just to get more out west experience under my belt and then switch to trying with bow. Being a midwest hunter not much experience with longer shots. I am hopefully retiring next year, so will have a lot more time hopefully to practice more.

24-Oct-21
Try West Texas outfitter if you have some bucks.

Terry

24-Oct-21
Terry,

Seems like all the mule deer hunts are pricey these days. Lol

24-Oct-21

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
0 points to draw NR archery general unit
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
0 points to draw NR archery general unit
Utah, general unit 0 points to draw. Of course you don’t have much at a chance to get a limited unit but there are plenty of nice deer. With the archery tags you can hunt all the extended areas as well.

Most people don’t understand there are two separate Utah deer draws and point system.

People kill good deer in areas they hunt more and get to know. Look at easy to draw units you can hunt all the time.

24-Oct-21
Wildwilderness, shhhhhhhh!

• Sitka Gear