Grey Ghost 02-Nov-21
Woods Walker 02-Nov-21
Ambush 02-Nov-21
Woods Walker 02-Nov-21
Matt 03-Nov-21
deerhunter72 03-Nov-21
APauls 04-Nov-21
27-Oct-21
Most of the time I couldn't care less about trail camera photos and the intel they provide. I am not 100% sure why? Maybe it's because I have killed 2 animals total that I have had on trail camera. Another reason could be that I am not a very good trophy hunter and have never pretended to be even a bad one. Another reason is that I don't care about the pictures, just like I don't care about shed antlers. I just shoot what makes me happy and not knowing what is in the area just makes it fun to me. Kind of like the old days prior to even the trail timer, LOL! I also feel their presence becomes more of a negative than a positive. I found myself always going to check them and, in my opinion, my intrusion caused a negative response with movement. I am not saying I never put them out as I normally do trying to fill late season doe tags, but if I never had another trail camera it wouldn't bother me in the least.

I think it is great that other people love them. I am all for people hunting how they like and if running multiple trail cameras is your thing, that is cool. I think it would be much more palatable to me if I owned my own piece of ground that I was managing, but for just permission hunting on private land it is just an extra step I don't need since I am not waiting on the biggest buck on the property and normally shoot the first thing that makes my heart pump a little. I hope this doesn't sound as I am being self righteous, because I am not. I actually am questioning why I don't care and actually a part of me wishes that I was as geeked on this stuff as what nearly everyone else who likes to hunt seems to be.

27-Oct-21
For me, running trail cams is a sport all by itself. I can't get enough lol!

This guy walked down a trail 15 yards from a paved road on indiana public at around 530 yesterday. Im sitting here now hoping he does it again ha!

https://youtu.be/Q1OhoG_a5oU

27-Oct-21

Matt's Link

27-Oct-21
That's a very respectable viewpoint. I am not that way, but it certainly doesn't bother me if you are.

The only thing I have a problem with is the people who have that attitude, and therefore would like to force that attitude on others.

27-Oct-21
Mark - I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago. I don’t care how others hunt and have no issues with trail cams. Guess I just enjoy the surprise of not knowing what is there.

27-Oct-21
I’m not sure I’ve ever killed a deer that I had on cam. I’m not a “gotta be 4.5 years old and xxx inches” hunter. Not a problem if you are that kind of hunter. I really enjoy seeing what’s around, when I’m not around. I have trail cam pic of a mountain lion in my back yard in the suburbs of Minneapolis, and a spike elk on my Ks property, several hundred miles from normal elk range. I would have never guessed that either of those critters would have been where they were.

27-Oct-21
I think you answered your own question. If you don't care about size, and you aren't trying to get the biggest animal available, a large part of the benefit that many people enjoy is not there for you. But even if you're not trying to kill the biggest buck, I would assume you would just enjoy seeing that such bucks are out there on the property you hunt? Do you enjoy seeing photos of other people's big bucks when they take them (with or without the aid of cameras), or photos that photographers take with regular cameras of live big bucks? Maybe you just aren't interested in seeing how large or unique big bucks can grow, whether in your hunting area or not? Being in the West, where anything could end up on your camera, I enjoy seeing all the different (and sometimes surprising) animals that I capture on cameras, not just the species I'm hunting.

27-Oct-21
^^^StickFlicker X2, especially some of the non target species, captured on camera. I equate it somewhat to the excitement of checking traps when I was younger. Some of the neatest images I’ve captured weren’t deer at all. Unfortunately, I’ve lost several of the best ones I’ve gotten, such as a barred owl, with fully outstretched wings, flying directly at the camera, at less than 10 feet, or a bluebird a few feet in front of the lense, with its wings at the top of it’s wingbeat along with a less visible image of its wings at the bottom of its wingbeat, kind of a double image.

27-Oct-21
Running cameras is almost as much fun as hunting IMHO,buy cell cameras if you don''t want to intrude.

27-Oct-21
I can't say I love running cameras like some do, really just a tool I use. Sometimes becomes a pain actually.

However, a lot of the enjoyment I get out of whitetail hunting is targeting specific animals and the chess match it can turn into, especially over multiple seasons. Since I live 1.5 hours from where I hunt cameras are just the only real way to figure out what's around each year in order to figure out who to target.

27-Oct-21
I respect your view, Mark. They can become a pain too. BUT… what I do, is put them away from my GOOD hunting spots and only put up non-cell cameras where they can be checked quickly with little invasion. We do have some cell cams out in the thick stuff too that we don’t move and the batteries generally last longer than a year.

As far as patterning deer with cameras where I hunt, it’s not happening. Thick block woods and creek bottoms, plus we don’t bait, so less concentration in certain areas. I believe my wife is the only person on the land we hunt that has killed one that we had on camera. All of that said, it’s still fun to check cams and see a surprise buck. Best of luck to everyone this fall!

27-Oct-21
I agree Bowfreak, I only have 3 cams. I pulled them yesterday and was disappointed with that I saw. Though I know by the sign and sheer size of land I'm hunting that it holds some big deer.

Since, I have transitioned to bigwoods hunting I will be using them on scrapes and leaving them up all year round to gain historical knowledge of the area.

So, maybe I'll like them more? But I'm with ya, I like the uncertainty and hunt way too big of an area to expect to kill a buck I get on camera at least with my non-big buck skills.

27-Oct-21
Last year is the first year I actually used one since the days of the old film model I had. I put 2 up on public ground on spots I considered hanging a stand. I've since pulled them but I know the one spot had some good daylight movement. Didn't see any big bucks but don't really care. I'm just happy to see some deer in a sort of overlooked spot.

Could definitely see an advantage to the cell cams. I think the cams may be very useful for me since my deer hunting time will be very limited this year.

27-Oct-21
I love watching bucks grow over the years! And most times I can identify does by physical markings. I had a doe around that I called Crooked Nose. She didn't have fawns for three years and was a mean, much feared bitch. Then she showed up with twins and had a whole personality change. I have to say, I was quite sad when she quit coming, probably at about eight years old.

27-Oct-21

badguybuster's embedded Photo
badguybuster's embedded Photo
I love seeing what nature has to show me. Hell, I caught a hawk attacking a chipmunk two years ago....super cool.

27-Oct-21
Don't feel bad Bowfreak. I've never used them, and don't wish to use them. In fact, you couldn't give me one. I just like to actually be in the woods to see things. But that's me.

27-Oct-21
I know a man who I honestly believe he loves running trail cameras prior and during deer season more than he loves hunting.

27-Oct-21
I have 5 trail cams. I only put 2-3 out each year. I kinda enjoy them. To me, they are like trapping. And since we can’t trap in Colorado, it’s the next best thing.

I will also agree with Mark about shooting what makes me happy and not knowing what is in the area.

27-Oct-21
Cameras don't make decisions, they're neutral...humans on the other hand.

27-Oct-21
I too have run them since film days and I enjoy seeing many animals I don't usually see...like the 27 pt. buck shot by my neighbor!

27-Oct-21
I believe if I had a tract of land large enough to call my own to manage the deer herd as I saw fit that I would do so. Now that said I never have & probably never will. I don't own a trail camera & probably never will. I usually kill a dozen or so does a season & a decent buck every few years. I hunt for food not trophy. I honestly have no desire to eat a stinking musky old rutted up buck. And would (almost) rather just admire them than kill em. But every few years I do kill one & usually wish I hadn't once it's done. If I had a big enough tract of land I'd enjoy watching them grow old !!!

27-Oct-21
I know exactly what you mean!!! I actually enjoy BOTH.

I hunt some public and a couple private pieces. I will deliberately leave one or two without cameras so that I can go in there with all the mystery and optimism of a new spot! That’s how I killed a nice buck last year. First sit in the new spot with no knowledge of what’s there. That feeling of never knowing WHAT could show up. It’s exciting!!!!

On the same hand, playing chess with the most worthy opponent is equally as exciting and rewarding. With the buck I was chasing this year I had one night that I thought was “THE NIGHT” I thought I had him pegged as to movements etc and my heart rate was 120bpm all night…and he never even stepped out! Lol

27-Oct-21
Lotta words to say 'I don't care'...

27-Oct-21
And DanaC wonders why he doesn’t get invited to BBQs.

27-Oct-21
I wonder about these things…

Number one, I am definitely too cheap to buy them; number two I really don’t think that the cell phone enabled ones are entirely Sporting, because they give you basically real time information. That’s a problem. Seems that that would violate the rules against electronic communications being used in pursuit of game. But then I think that if you glass a herd of Elk on a hillside 3 miles distant and jump in the truck to take 2 1/2 miles off of that gap, then that is (strictly speaking) pursuit of a game animal via motor vehicle, which is illegal.

So anyway… I do not and will not use them. I think they are too disruptive to the animals’ routines outside of the season, and I don’t fancy myself being such a skilled hunter that I really need to pattern a specific animal in order to have a fulfilling season. I am perfectly happy with whatever it comes my way.

When it comes to hunting, my motto is probably “whatever comes by, the dumb ones die.”

“Hit list”, “inventory” and “shooter” are all words used by guys who have access to private land; you almost never hear that kind of language from a public land guy.

28-Oct-21
I haven't used trail cameras in several years and have accounted for, seen and photographed over 40 bucks in my hunting areas without educating many of them. I could not have done this using cameras.

28-Oct-21
I resisted cams for 30 years. Now camera runs are the second thing on my morning routine.

28-Oct-21
Corax, I just picked one up at Walmart for $30, cost isn't an issue like it was several years ago. (Won't be spending $150-200 each any more.)

I like the pictures of all the 'other' animals out there as much as the deer pix. Have gotten everything from woodpeckers to moose.

28-Oct-21

DanaC's Link
https://www.facebook.com/dana.charbonneau.12/videos/412412043677251

28-Oct-21
We use trail cameras backwards on my buddy’s property. We look at the pics at the end of the season to see what we might have missed.

28-Oct-21
Probably a lot of the reason I don't fool with them is I don't want to put forth the effort to put them out and check them. I also don't want to pay for them and the SD cards and batteries. :)

28-Oct-21
I actually tried 2 different times (years apart) to use and like trail cameras. I just never found them interesting. I captured some great pics of bucks and other wildlife, but in the end I just found them to be more like work than enjoyment. I'm sure I'm in the minority on that, and I'm 100% for guys who enjoy them. I have several really nice basically unused cameras sitting in my garage....sigh.

One thing for sure: I absolutely love the mystery of not knowing what might show up at my tree when hunting. I'm all about the suspense.

28-Oct-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
No surprise to anyone here but I can’t imagine hunting without them. I run them almost all year. I get to know the bucks on my properties, see which crops the deer like … and when, see when bucks are dropping sheds, and I can get a sense for predators, and especially trespassers. I use them primarily for deer but also turkey and coyotes.

The only real-time decision I have ever made was when to sleep over my coyote baits.

The camera pics are trophies to me. And if I ever sell my property my pics may cinch the deal if I’m selling to a hunter.

I respect everyone’s opinion on this topic and really don’t care if anyone likes them or not.

28-Oct-21
I agree with the trapline analogy it's just fun ,nothing more.Hardly ever shoot the big ones you see anyway.

28-Oct-21

RIT's embedded Photo
RIT's embedded Photo
I am in the “I like em camp”. I like when I am at work and they tell me I should have been in the stand today because 30 minutes ago this happened at one of my vine mock scrapes.

28-Oct-21
I enjoy looking at all the different kinds of wildlife mine pick up. I hunt my own property, so no big deal leaving them out all year. Cellular cams, for me. Little maintenance. Change out batteries maybe twice a year. Not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. I have all the clothes, stands, and hunting gear that I need. Really don't buy much hunting stuff.

Don't really move them that often.........Just when I'm out clearing lanes, setting stands, scouting different spots, etc.........

Nice to see what's out there, from the comfort of the lazy boy, anytime, from anywhere. My son has the app on his phone too and can checks pictures from the same cameras. Fun to talk things over with him. Cool to see what's on scrapes and trails.

Seeing what's out there sure doesn't guarantee opportunities. But fun to look at all year long.

I think they're fun to use.

28-Oct-21
I hunt with a group of guys that are into cameras big time. To the point that I don't know if they would hunt without them. I could give a rip if we had cameras. The property we hunt has big bucks on it every single year. The stands are permanent ladder stands. I'd just go hunt and see what comes by. But I think all the trail cam activity is a negative. Even with cell cams, we are constantly checking/adjusting/changing batteries, etc. Too much activity IMO. If it were me, I'd run them for awhile in summer then pull them and let things settle down. And hunt.

28-Oct-21
My brother has had 2 cameras for a few years and this year he had a real nice buck and a few nice ones so thought, with one tag this year I would trophy hunt for awhile. After passing on 3 does and knowing I only had one deer in range last year and no chance for a shot, I decided when number 4 came walking by my blind at 6 yards, I took the shot! This season is over with a nice doe in the freezer, so guess trophy hunting will have to wait till next fall? I enjoy seeing his and everybody else photos. Nice to see what else walks by like, coyotes, bobcats, bear, wolves, turkeys .....?

28-Oct-21
I enjoyed the cameras until assholes stole them all ! 4 on private property and 1 on federal land.

28-Oct-21
I have several trail cameras that still work gathering dust in my shop. Just for me personally, not worth the effort.

28-Oct-21

deerhunter72's embedded Photo
Last year
Last year
This year
This year
This is a great thread. I’ve always been lucky to hunt private ground and I never used cameras because I thought it was like “cheating”. I always wanted to be surprised by the bigger bucks seeing them live. But since I bought my own ground a couple of years ago I have found that I really enjoy the cameras. I’m like you Mark, I shoot what I want when the mood strikes. I have 50 acres, so managing really doesn’t work. I have killed a lot of bucks that would have grown much bigger racks, but I get enjoyment from looking at the antler and euro mounts in my game room.

One thing that has surprised me about the cameras is that it’s almost as fun running them and looking at pics as hunting now. Never would have dreamed that. Another perk is that it gives me an excuse to go out there once a week. This is my third season using them now and I’m seeing some of the same bucks. I was lucky in the first year to kill a monster that I had captured on camera in the week before I killed him. And I did it again this week with a buck that I thought had been killed last year. He disappeared during the rut and didn’t reappear on camera until last week. And the cameras proved that this deer put on a tremendous amount of growth in one year. I never would have believed that this deer could change that much without the proof on the cameras. I’ll post a couple of pics of him.

I also really like seeing the others things the cameras capture like bobcats, owls, and even the stinking coyotes. Also, a trespasser now and then. So, I guess you’d say I’m a recent convert. I’ll have the cameras from now on.

28-Oct-21
"Hardly ever shoot the big ones you see anyway."

Maybe because of all the tramping around in the woods to check them everyday might JUST let the deer pattern YOU? Naahhh.......... ;-)

28-Oct-21
I haven’t run mine seriously in a couple years, been kinda fun not knowing what’s gonna show up.

28-Oct-21
We are all different. I have a good friend who loves to bowhunt. He hunts a lot. However, I believe he likes running trail cameras and shed hunting even more. I usually pick up a shed if I see it, but they mean nothing to me since I didn't kill it. I do agree though, that I really appreciate photos or sheds of an animal I ended up killing.

If I had to guess, I would be like deerhunter72 if I had my own slice of heaven. I'd probably love the process of screwing with them at that point. It is not like I refuse to use them. I do put them out from time to time. I actually put one on a scrape the other day because my trail cam loving friend shamed me. I also bought 3 of them last year and shipped them to a friend in WY. He put them up for me in my elk area. I ended up having a handful of pictures of the elk I killed on there. Those pictures are really cool and I am glad I did that.

28-Oct-21
I use trail cameras just for fun. I don't use them to make a hit list.

28-Oct-21

CBFROMND 's embedded Photo
CBFROMND 's embedded Photo
I learned a hard lesson with game cameras a couple of years ago when I was educated on Busch lights in the bar and I showed the guy that owns the land I hunt on a few pics.. They quickly went from pushing their land with rifles and harvesting the little guys to stand hunting and they now shoot nice deer... and I am currently looking for a new bow spot! Haha! Lesson learned!

28-Oct-21
I know what you are saying, I showed some people a few trail cam pictures from the wife's family farm. Suddenly everyone wants to be a deer hunter.

28-Oct-21
I know what you are saying, I showed some people a few trail cam pictures from the wife's family farm. Suddenly everyone wants to be a deer hunter.

28-Oct-21
I started using a couple cams in 2010. Since that time I've killed 11 bucks I think, and I have pictures of 7 of them. Several of them were followed over multiple years. Of the 4 bucks I didn't have pictures of, they were all taken on a farm I hunt late season where I don't run cameras :)

I LOVE the cameras. They've been such a huge learning tool for me where I hunt with a large tract of timber and no agriculture. Just seeing how deer move and access different areas has been eye opening.

Now when I get big buck daylight pics, I not only look at the date/time, etc., but I like to check wind direction. And think of how my setups would have worked or not worked.

It's really been a huge learning thing for me. I'm still not where I want to be when it comes to consistently killing older deer

28-Oct-21
I'm with PECO, I run a couple cameras on a 40 I have permission to hunt. But it is more for fun than for scouting/patterning deer. I usually pull the cam at the end of the year not knowing what is on it or what has gone by. Some years I definitely wish I'd have hunted it more when there's been a good buck in daylight on the cam.

28-Oct-21
Worst part of running cameras is finding out you put one in a tree that blows around in the wind..... or worse yet finding out that's its not there anymore...... Best part is my hunting partner does most of the checking. =D

We've had everything from poacher pics to good deer we've later shot, that's kinda fun. Last week was proof a ranchers neighbors dogs were killing his goats, caught in the act. Our rancher thinks we're golden. We don't have a ton of cameras and all cheap, a couple several years old.... maybe 4 or 5 cameras. Usually hang them high, 10 or 12 feet with wedges and wire, not straps, so they aren't as easy to see or steal. Even gone to camo with silk leaves, ferns and such hot glued to them.

WRT shooting stuff..... yeah. Choot em..... I can come up with a good reason for just about anything, from "that'll be some great eating" to "well, we got him out of the gene pool....." to "I know you can't eat antlers but you do know those packin' em are made of meat too?"

28-Oct-21
I run cameras year ‘round just because I love looking at deer. I like to see what’s out there but I never base my hunting on what’s on the cameras. I run them about every two weeks in spring and summer to watch for fawns and check antler growth. In the fall I may not check them but twice during the season. Still not worried about what’s on them especially, but just window shopping so to speak. Bucks always come and go during November so the buck you had all summer probably won’t be there for the finish.

28-Oct-21
I love running cell cams. Less intrusion and I just like looking at pictures of wildlife. I think they are pretty educational as well. It can ruin the surprise in the early season but in the rut anything can happen and you never know who is going to show up!!!

28-Oct-21

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
None of the cell cams are “real time”, so there’s no hustling down to go head off a deer. Has a lot to do with cell service I’m guessing. Just a way to take inventory. Even if I did get real time, it wouldn’t be fun to go snipe a deer because you saw it heading down a fence row or crop field.

Here’s one that came in earlier. I think he was eating a pancake or a piece of cake, hard to tell. :)

29-Oct-21
Embry, wonder if there’s peanut butter on that pan cake??. There’s a thread somewhere here discussing that.

29-Oct-21

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
One of the first trail cam pix I ever got, been hooked ever since

29-Oct-21
I run them year round. At our house in the woods and on timber ground I trap on. Amazing things you see.

29-Oct-21
I don’t get the part about cameras being cheating. If you ask a deer, tree stands, bows, camo, wind checkers, guns, etc., etc. are all cheating.

29-Oct-21
I have 1 trail camera I use on 2 parcels that is about 5 years old. I typically put it in a central place on one farm to try and get an idea of what some of the deer and turkeys look like on said property but I don't try to use it to pattern, etc. I do think it has made me be somewhat more selective knowing what some of the bucks look like now though. The pics are cool but I don't make enough time to run more cams. I'm a bit old school when it comes to hunting.

29-Oct-21
I still largely hunt for meat. I don't need cameras; I need time off. If I ever become inch-centric, I imagine my curiosity about available rack potential will skyrocket.

29-Oct-21
Funny thing about cameras, they don’t guarantee anything. I think they are fun, fulfills the anticipation, and hopefully helps key in on a few resident deer.

Once the chase starts, all bets are off IMO

I honestly respect the OP option and thoughts. Nothing wrong with it at all or anyone’s else’s ethical way of hunting. Just as long as we are hunting.

Have a great season

29-Oct-21

hdaman's embedded Photo
hdaman's embedded Photo
For me, trail cams not only show target animals, but all of the cool things that pass by when you can't be out there. I run a couple of cell cams year around just because I enjoy the pics. Attached is one of my first pics that got me hooked!

29-Oct-21
Im not a trophy hunter but I just find it interesting to see what pics I can capture on camera and to see what is coming in the area. I understand some folks dont like them as long as they dont insist that I shouldnt use them.

30-Oct-21

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
"I just find it interesting to see what pics I can capture on camera"

Exactly! I get plenty of pictures of deer and bears, but once in a while something 'different' shows up. (This is in central Mass., not Alaska)

30-Oct-21
I'm a great deal like the original poster. I have three of them....and maybe run one sometimes just to see what deer activity is happening. I can't recall hunting specifically an area just because of the trail camera.

I'm just not infatuated with the technology of a camera and if I told the absolute truth I get bored easily with extended strategy banter. I guess I'm just one of those guys that hunting is a bit personal and I like to pursue it with my on thoughts and actions.

30-Oct-21
I didnt realize there were moose in Mass

30-Oct-21
I'm in the like column. For me it's about seeing what's out there and what my odds are more than targeting a certain deer. I can use the info to help pick better hunting times as well. IOW it's a tool and I like tools.

30-Oct-21
I'm with you, Bowfreak. I don't use cameras, and never will. I like seeing and patterning animals with my own two eyes. The mystery of the unknown is also an important part of the hunt for me.

What I don't understand is the appeal of a hunt like Pat's recent Saskatchewan hunt. He showed up, picked the buck he wanted to kill based on trail cam pics, then sat over the appropriate bait pile for a whole day and a half until the buck inevitably showed up to be shot. To me, there wasn't much "hunting" involved by the shooter.

I know that won't be a popular opinion with some around here, but it's how I feel, so flame away.

Matt

30-Oct-21
Matt, some places that's the only way you'll see deer unless you spend several seasons learning the lay of the land. I hunted out of state a couple years ago, and the game was 'rifles and corn piles 100 yards away.' It wasn't much of a 'hunt' by my thinking either, but 'when in Rome...'

30-Oct-21
We can share an asbestos jacket on this one Matt!

30-Oct-21
There are always two choices. Two paths to take. One is easy...and its only reward is that it's easy

30-Oct-21
Dana,

If it wasn't much of a hunt, then why do it? Did you get any satisfaction out of killing the equivalent of conditioned livestock? Pat's buck literally had a mouth full of alfalfa when he shot it. I could never take any pride in killing an animal that way, much less make a featured re-cap of the hunt on a popular hunting website.

Woods Walker, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Matt

30-Oct-21
Matt, in spite of the conditions, the deer were pretty wary. They'd come out and lock right on to the stand-sitter for several minutes. Waiting game...

I went to see something different. Didn't go back, although I know guys who go every year and would let me ride along.

If I hadn't ever gone, my opinion would be based on hearsay. At least now I *know*.

30-Oct-21
Bet GG wouldn’t like a set of fake tits in his face either.

30-Oct-21
I can see such a view when you only get one tag a year and just a few weeks of the year to fill it in your home state. But that is region specific. Even person specific. Some carry a pocketful of tags, hunt 3 or 4 states and over several months. For some, hunting is a fun hobby they do..... others it's their life. Or at least lifestyle. Nothing wrong with either. Others yet it's some religious experience bound with dogma. Beauty is in the eyes of the bowholder.....

Fill your tag.... don't fill it. Fill it and hunt again tomorrow. Or move on to the next hunt, the next adventure. Every hunt is different, just as every meal isn't steak or lobster. A donut or bowl of ice cream can be pretty darn good and you don't have to do much to get it. Other times you spend hours in the kitchen or hot bbq or whatever..... some personal satisfaction as to the effort and skill along with (hopefully) a great meal. Sometimes somebody goes out to dinner. You know, where you decided off a menu and somebody else caught, killed, and cooked it for you. You didn't lift a finger but for lifting a fork and enjoy the food and the moment. Or sometimes a drive through and a big mac with fries. We all have our reasons of the moment.

Clearly most did enjoy following the hunt. I'd do one like that in a heartbeat. Then go do another for something else somewhere else. Repeat as necessary.

30-Oct-21
I guess that's where we differ, TD. For me, hunting is about the challenge of the pursuit, the search, and the fair chase. None of those things apply to a hunt like Pat's, IMO. I will quit hunting before I resort to killing big game like ordering a Big Mac and fries. That's not a "moment" I'm interested in having.

Matt

30-Oct-21
Bingo....^^^

30-Oct-21

TJF's embedded Photo
TJF's embedded Photo
I love running cameras. Fun to do but not much of an aid for hunting other then telling me what bucks are running that area. I generally setup cameras in spots I can get in and out of with out pressuring an area. Today I check the cameras. Had a camera in an old abandoned farmstead. The owner was Chisel plowing the field right north of it. been friends and hunting his land for 30 plus years. I called him to see how he was doing. Right away he goes where are you at. I told him in the trees right south of him. He told me to get out of the trees. I am like what ?? He told me to get out of the trees again. I asked if I could at least get my camera. He said no. He started laughing and said he just chased a big bull moose in there where you have your camera. Sure enough.

31-Oct-21
As they say.. different strokes and all. Lots of room for everyone. Some are fine with that one tag, one season is it for their year. For others it's just that hunt, that week.... next week we hunt again. And again. Not like Pat doesn't hunt DIY, he owns hunting property in at least 2 states I know of. And not like whitetail deer is all he has or ever hunts. But hunt he does. Pretty cool. Wanna be like him when I grow up......

Yeah. I'll take that big mac.... eat it and be hungry for a steak tomorrow. But I'd hardly call Pat's hunt a big mac. Be like calling anything less than a DIY pack in 2 week elk not really hunting. Didn't work hard enough for it. No challenge. Not worthy.

WRT hanging up the bow..... when I'm at full draw and trying to stop my leg from shaking.... steady my breathing and my pin.... when that doesn't happen any more, that's when I hang it up. Well, except for bird season starts next week, I'll pretty much hang it up for the next 3 months. I'll use dogs too, couple of bird hunting machines really, and do it with a shotgun as well. Couple friends were crankin' me once "you just have to stay out until you get your limit don't you!" Told em' nope, not that at all. They make me STOP when I get my limit......

01-Nov-21
Some hunters look down on others who hunt private ground, use a compound, and sit in a treestand. To each their own.

TD's analogy is spot on.

01-Nov-21
I swear I read a elk hunt story where Grey Ghost hunted water in an arid climate but I could be wrong. There are always going to be types of hunts you don't agree with. That's fine. But maybe instead of ragging on each other just shut up about it.

Same thing could be said about hunting cats with dogs...the dog trees the cat and some fat yankee walks up and decides if he wants to kill the cat that is "trapped in the tree." Talk to any guy who's been on a cat hunt (I have not) and it's a different story.

Baited bear hunts are no different than baited deer hunts. 90% of people have no issue with baited bear hunts. A lot goes into it, and a lot is said about picking the right site location, and baiting smart and proper. Smart old bears don't seem to walz right in to be shot. I can only assume the same with baited deer. I doubt they come as easy as you think.

Since the dawn of time - man as a hunter has looked to have an advantage over his prey. Whether it's the wind, calling or decoying in the rut, sitting water. At the end of the day, it's not your thing that's fine. A lot of guys can't get behind shooting coyotes, that's fine. Just don't rag on someone who does. Because guess what - if you get rid of every kind of hunting except "your sacred method" there won't be many left. And here's another shocker for you; if all the terrible methods are eliminated one by one your sacred method may not even be the last standing. Get over yourself and stop working to eliminate hunting.

Yes, anti-hunters are bringing axe's to chop down our giant tree that we have called HUNTING, while in the mean time thousands of hunters stand at the base whittling away with their knives......

01-Nov-21
I guess we all draw our own lines on hunting ethics. I won't ever do a baited hunt of any kind for any species, because that crosses my line. Yes, I have hunted natural springs and other non-manmade water sources. I've also hunted edges of large agricultural fields. For me, that's different than unnaturally conditioning animals to feed in a specific spot within slam dunk range of a stand.

Let's do a little pole to see where you draw the line. Years ago the turkeys that live on my property figured out that my horses are sloppy eaters, and they could get an easy meal from the grain my horses drop on the ground. Nowadays, it's common for 20-50 birds to be waiting for me when I walk out to the barn to feed every morning and evening. They act exactly like domestic chickens when they are around the barn. They aren't even afraid of my dogs. Once they get 50 yards away from my barn, they act like any other wild turkeys. Under that scenario, how many of you would hunt turkeys from my barn? It would be perfectly legal to do so. Or, would that be crossing your line?

Matt

01-Nov-21
Depends what kind of experience I am after. Sometimes I bow hunt, sometimes I gun hunt, and sometimes I run out with a gun to fill a tag. If I was in fill a tag mode I would absolutely shoot a turkey beside your barn. Because I am a hunter, and I like to go get my own wild meat. Some years like this spring I didn't have time to turkey hunt. I wish I knew someone with a slam dunk turkey deal that I could have gone and got one.

Hell of a lot more ethical way to get turkey than "bagging one from the store" if you're talking ethics.

01-Nov-21
It's funny that instead of being able to post your own opinion(as many on both sides have), or stand up for what you believe, you're supposed to just "shut up"?

Adam, you may think that the infighting is destroying hunting...I've seen no evidence of that. It's just another of the many excuses used by baiters to try and justify their shortcomings. I know you're a hunter, I know it...and you know the difference.

For me, I'm going to fight against practices that I see destroying a heritage I care deeply about. Baiting is not hunting, you know this too...hell everyone knows this. If it goes away it will be for the betterment of future hunters, and yea that's my opinion and I ain't shutting up.

01-Nov-21
Good point sitO. Good angle. I can see the value in that opinion. I guess the debate rages on! lol. I definitely should have been more respectful. "Shut up" is not a good look. Posted too quick shooting from the hip! Should've take the time to dial in the rifle.

But I guess we should get back to trail cameras.

01-Nov-21
If I was in fill a tag mode I would absolutely shoot a turkey beside your barn. Because I am a hunter....

Exactly what part of killing one of these birds would you consider "hunting"?

01-Nov-21
That’s pretty cool Matt!

In regards to baiting talked about here and on another thread, even if we choose not to call it hunting, licenses and other PR taxed gear were purchased and those funds are applied to wildlife conservation. That benefits us “hunters” more than any criticism ever will. Maybe we should remember that a little when we discuss protecting the hunting tradition for future generations?

01-Nov-21
The only way I would shoot ANY wild game like that is if I were in a real survival mode. Like either they die, or I die. But that's the difference between sport hunting and subsistence hunting.

01-Nov-21
Frank, take as many kids as you want, or can, and send me the bill for all license/tag's...if you're actually hunting that is. Be glad to contribute to that cause.

01-Nov-21
Well sitO, you might not call it hunting, but the whole state of Texas will disagree with you. Sometimes I wonder how you crop country guys would fare if you were hunting in thousands of acres of brush and cactus that is South Texas, the same covered in yaupon and pine trees in East Texas, or the high desert or vastness of West Texas. You see, we have no big corn fields, soybeans, and such to feed our deer, a few measly food plots is all most of us can manage. We also don’t have miles of narrow corridors that boundary these crop fields like y’all do, a deer can go anywhere he wants to in most of this state. When you have a Saturday and a Sunday morning to make it happen every other week you might want a little help, especially if you like to eat venison. Now you can take it or leave it, but if you want to claim the privilege of speaking your mind, then others get to do the same. Happy hunting, and Let’s Go Brandon !

01-Nov-21
Hey Matt - I’d rather fill a Turkey tag on a wild Turkey beside your barn than buy one in a store. I wouldn’t pass it off as some grandiose hunt, but it’s what I’d rather do. YMMV

But I still consider myself a hunter, and it still fits the definition of hunting as long as those birds are wild. Was it difficult? No, was it exciting? Prob not, was it an experience? No. But it’s still the taking of wild meat, and I’d rather do that than buy a Turkey.

There’s a sliding scale of “easy” on many hunts. To be honest most rifle deer hunts on private land would be easier than bow-killing one of your turkeys. We still allow “those people” under the hunting moniker

01-Nov-21

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Kyle,

Took a 13 year old and his father to my farm this weekend in fact. Set them up in a stump blind with a youth model Mossberg .243.

This was their first hunt ever. Sat over a lush 4 acre food plot. A nice buck walked about 100 yards over a full minute in the open. Youngster could not find the deer in the scope as he kept walking.

In spite of all the encouragement, he decided to wait until next year to try again. Might be different if that buck had stopped at a corn pile, I don’t know. I would be OK with him shooting his first that way, learning to field dress and process, and moving on to hunting methods more rewarding.

I appreciate sincerely your views and respect tremendously how you hunt and your never ending support of introducing newcomers. You do it the BEST way, I just think it is not always so black and white. People will respond in different ways.

I don’t sit over bait piles, and my food plot, though large, is considered a bait plot by many. I guess lately I am loathe to criticize even a guy that hunts over a pile and spends lots of money doing so…I figure it helps conservation and capitalism is better than government handouts IMO. Besides, I bear hunt in Canada over baits so have no room to judge. By my way of thinking, these hundreds of tags and licenses I have bought through the years has done more good for our heritage than any legal pursuit method disagreed by some has damaged that tradition. And I respect that many disagree with me, but I will still buy you a beer if we ever meet!

01-Nov-21

DP, sorry.

01-Nov-21
Why are we hung upon the idea that only a 'difficult' hunt is a 'valid' hunt? Depending on where you live and hunt, using a wood self-bow may be 'easy' or using a rifle might still be a low-odds proposition.

It's bear season here, but looking back over the years, I've seen more bears from the truck seat than in the woods. We can't bait or run hounds so unless you're on a good food source it's a lot of dumb luck. If/when I really really *want* a good bear I'll do a guided bait hunt. Weapon will probably be large caliber.

01-Nov-21
\"Hey Matt - I’d rather fill a Turkey tag on a wild Turkey beside your barn than buy one in a store. I wouldn’t pass it off as some grandiose hunt, but it’s what I’d rather do. YMMV."

So, when someone kills a big buck over bait, do you celebrate it, or question why?

Matt

01-Nov-21
In my "model" Frank the dollars from those who can't will be replaced by those who will. Question, if MO were to propose allowing baiting, would you be in favor or against, knowing what's it's done to KS?

01-Nov-21
Against, but a lot of it takes place.

Against cameras as well that aid a hunter.

Against allowing compounds and crossbows during peak rut period, and I shoot a compound.

But I am going to adapt to the rules of where I hunt.

Tired of trophy hunting too and calling that our heritage, it’s not. It’s something else, and I am ok with it just as I am with piles where legal. Remember, I am proud of the does I am stacking. We all have different standards, and I worry about me and what I think of my own actions.

But your approach is highly commendable!

02-Nov-21
"So, when someone kills a big buck over bait, do you celebrate it, or question why? "

I'd shake his hand and congratulate him like I would anyone else. That he shot a spike or doe with a rifle I'd still shake his hand. Certainly not going to dissect it as to how they did so, much less why. Just so they connected with the experience.... good for them. As much as one's "ethics", high moral standard and virtue signalling come into play, bottom line you just killed something. Make your personal justifications however you want if it makes you feel better. What you just killed does not view your ethics as making it's death any more or any less noble. That's a human 1st world construct. A fantasy that only mankind makes up to satisfy.... something..... certainly not hunger. If I had to guess I'd say karma was fine with the whole thing as long as you made use of it.

How I legally hunt is just that. I hunt. If mice were all that was left I'd hunt mice (and have, 40 years ago with a bb gun and flashlight in the kitchen at midnight, ask Coach....) Man is a predator and I hunt to embrace and continue that role in the world.

That I PERSONALLY choose to use a bow is an added level of difficulty I choose. My choice. As all choices how to legally hunt should be. Not to please anyone else. Killed a bucketload of game with a rifle, got to be like tipping over tin cans. If I could see it I could kill it. There is ZERO difference between a bowhunter over bait and a rifle set up at 200 yards waiting for the deer to filter out into an alfalfa field. Both should be a good clean kill if things go to plan. And neither are exactly the clockwork some may imagine they are.

Another level of difficulty I enjoy is targeting mature animals, normally mature males. I'll shoot others for meat and do. Have taken 5 deer this year, 2 good bucks, 2 does and a spike I thought was a doe. But a big mature animal makes me shake inside. Just is what it is, I'd have to deny reality if they didn't. Like pretty girls too but again prolly just a personal bias...... some things flip the right switches and others not so much. (Sorry Herm, Nancy Pelosi just don't do it for me....heheheheh....) Some would even say to feel more attracted to a pretty girl was wrong too. Good luck with that. I go with what pleases me. With what excites me.

APauls hit alot of great points. He's as right about all this as anyone here is..... because HE'S the one who makes the choices, not the ones who would critique those choices for whatever reasons they may feel they must.

Said it before..... it has amazed me at times to see the lengths folks will go to avoid having to deal with dead animals. =D

02-Nov-21
Goodness....

What a digression. Bowhunting is personal to me and I don't care what others think. If something trips my trigger and it's legal, leave me alone. I don't care how you shoot your deer and whether you have him on camera.... regardless the deer is just as dead either way.

Also....the whole I am against baiting to preserve the sport is ridiculous. What preserves the sport is people buying licenses and shooting stuff period. If they shoot too many, DNR should slow them down.

02-Nov-21
" If something trips my trigger and it's legal, leave me alone."

And yet, this topic.

From your OP - " I actually am questioning why I don't care and actually a part of me wishes that I was as geeked on this stuff as what nearly everyone else who likes to hunt seems to be. "

Hey, I don't understand the guys who spend hundreds of dollars on a release. Or the guys with scopes on their rifles, scopes that talk to the computer in their phone! Farm tools so you can turn your atv into a food plot tractor. Ozonics? Good gravy, what happened to a hanging a piece of thread off your upper limb and playing the wind? There have always been gear geeks in hunting, and yet every new 'game changer' draws ooohs and aaahs.

Now we have double-barrel crossbows, air and cartridge-powered bolt-flinging guns and what's next? What's next?

Gotten so these topics inevitably hit the 'more heat than light' point, and then stray.

I like 'em. I don't. Well, what about X? What about Y and Z?

Your choice whether to a accept or fight against every new 'technology', but in my 40 years of observation I can't recall many of these battles going the way of 'old school' hunters. Too much money to be made, too many 'adopters' for every 'new shiny'. Too much focus on the end result - dead deer. If all you want is 'efficiency', well, used to be bow hunting was NOT your choice. But 'longer seasons' sells millions of licenses and makes millions of dollars. So let's forget about 'hunting the hard way', and raise a generation of tech geeks to 'hunt'.

Sorry about the rant, but after 650 'I don't like it' topics, hey. If you didn't like it, were you fighting it at the *government* level when they were legalizing it? Does anyone *still* lobby against crossbows? Trail cams? 'Sniper' scopes? Crickets...

02-Nov-21

DanaC's Link
(And yes, there really is a 'double-barrel' crossbow. What's next, magazine-loaded semi-auto?)

02-Nov-21

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Without cams I would not have got this pic of Sit-o in a bear suit ripping the spout off my deer feeder.

02-Nov-21
Bears can't tell time...

02-Nov-21
Shooting a mature bear over bait isn't as easy as one would think. I consider whitetails to be either more intelligent or adaptable which ever way you want to look at it. So shooting a mature buck over a bait is probably way more difficult than the avg guy thinks. There's a lot of TV shows out of Sask that don't shoot their target buck every year.

Shooting a yard turkey that doesn't care about your presence and you simply walk up and shoot vs a wily mature whitetail over a bait are two completely different scenarios and if you loop them together you're just being ignorant IMO. I rifle hunted Sask a few times and set up baits, albeit not for long periods of time. I hunted there 4 times, and shot 4 bucks, 3 of them really good bucks. Not one of them was over bait because it simply wasn't as effective for me. Leading me to believe it's not the slam dunk you think it is. Is it an advantage? For sure. Far cry from a yard bird beside the barn with a brain the size of a flattened peanut.

02-Nov-21
Adam, I was talking to an outfitter from Maine a few years back, his take on it was that bears are way more sensitive to foreign odors than even an old deer.

02-Nov-21
APauls,

Pat's mature Sask buck didn't seem to be too wily. He walked right into the bait pile that Pat admitted he'd been hitting "consistently" according to trail cam pics, and literally had his face in a pile of alfalfa when Pat shot him. I'd call that a yard buck.

BTW, I never equated baiting deer in Sask to shooting a turkey at my barn. I honestly don't see much difference, but I used my turkey example just to see where people draw their line on hunting ethics. At least you provided an honest answer.

Matt

02-Nov-21
It's funny; I've never killed a bear over bait and I've killed many dozens of them. But the same folks that kill a bear over bait (claiming it's too hard to hunt them otherwise) are the ones who think baiting deer is unfair or unethical. So think about that when you're sitting in your treestand, on the trail coming from a man made ag crop.

02-Nov-21
"But the same folks that kill a bear over bait (claiming it's too hard to hunt them otherwise) are the ones who think baiting deer is unfair or unethical.

Who are these "same folks" you speak of, Ambush?

Matt

02-Nov-21
^^^^ "they" know who they are . . .

02-Nov-21
Nice dodge, Ambush. So far, sitO, Woods Walker, and I have spoken out against baiting on this thread. I know for fact that neither sitO or I have killed bears over bait. I can't speak for Woods Walker. So, who are you talking about? Or were you just blowing smoke?

Matt

02-Nov-21
Dodge?? Why would you feel slighted if you’re not one of “they”?

I was just recalling some of the conversation from an anti thread last year or so.

02-Nov-21
So., your post was irrelevant to this discussion. Thanks for clarifying.

Matt

02-Nov-21
^^^ Perhaps you can remind me what the discussion was about then?

02-Nov-21
Some are confusing "ethics" with degree of difficulty or success. As if that difficulty somehow makes the hunt any more or less "ethical".

Again, that's a human construct, a first world mental justification for what essentially is your sport or recreation, not your survival. You construct your personal "rules" for your own reasons. Personal satisfaction at overcoming difficulties is one, self perceived skill maybe. Emotional reasons may be another. That is how it should be, personal. Looking down from tall horses at hunters who don't share your "rules" should not be one of them.

I believe there is term for very publicly stating one's moral superiority over others. Just sayin'....

FWIW.... Bowfreak's OP stated game cameras just didn't interest him and also stated he had no issues with those who used them and liked them. Certainly not that folks who used them were somehow unethical. He was good with just hunting not necessarily targeting "trophy" animals. Surely got no vibe he was critical of those who were. IMO a pretty reasonable take on personal choices.

02-Nov-21
Whatever the OPs intention was, it spurred a discussion about hunting ethics. I have no problem with that.

Matt

02-Nov-21
Start a new thread, then, instead of shitting on this one, as you seem to have an uncanny knack of doing, GG!

02-Nov-21
GG, you're going to have to explain to me why you judge my comments were/are less "relevant" than anything you've added.

Perhaps that will clear up the question of why you get to decide relevance in the first place.

02-Nov-21
I’ve tried, bud. But my threads usually get canceled. Funny that. .

Matt

02-Nov-21
Nope, never killed anything over bait. That is, unless you consider a mile square corn field a "bait" pile. That narrows down where the deer may enter the field to a mere 21,120 feet.

02-Nov-21
You're lucky WW. I don't have any corn, peas or grain within a hundred miles. That makes picking the right trail pretty tough.

02-Nov-21
LOL! Well guess what, we STILL have to pick the right trail even with the cornfields! If the corn is still in the field, then the deer may as well be on the moon. It's after the corn is picked that it's even feasible to try and hunt, and then we hunt the woods or other cover around the cornfields.

03-Nov-21
Walk into the woods completely naked, and build anything you need with your bare hands. Everything else is cheating! :^)

03-Nov-21
Never hunter over bait and don’t ever see myself doing it. But, I’ve never hunted anywhere where it was legal and maybe necessary. I won’t look down my nose on anyone who does.

BTW, I still like my game cameras;)

04-Nov-21
Pat's deer hunt made it look easy. Mark of a good outfitter, and at the bare minimum a decent hunter if you ask me. Anyone can tag out day one on any kind of a hunt and it looks easy. Outfitter obviously had the bait set up in a situation that maximized hunter advantage. Hunter obviously didn't screw it up. To sit at home in "blank" state (wherever you're from because you didn't fill out the information form) and call his hunt for a 100% wild deer to be that similar to a yard buck is pretty ridiculous. But again, that's my opinion. You don't need to share it. There are countless hunters who can't get it done year over year on bait. No doubt about it, it's another tool in the toolbox, and it's prob a deadlier one if done correctly.

But I refuse to sit at home, having never taken part in a properly baited Sask hunt and tell the world I think it's the same as shooting a yard deer without having ever done it. That is my personal definition of ignorance. Ignorance, coincidentally would coincide with threads that get shut down.

Having watched TV shows on youtube that center on baiting in Saskatchewan - it is a completely different style of hunting. It's all about the right setup. Completely different than trying to hunt a buck on his natural movements. Do I think it's most likely easier in a wild place like that? For sure. There's a reason most outfitters and residents in Sask do it. And that isn't to make the hunt harder. But it's still hunting. And many hunters go to outfitter every year in Saskatchewan and come back without a trophy, or even the deer they were after. Never mind using archery equipment. Rob is obviously doing something right to have better success. Good for him, good for Pat. Congrats all around.

• Sitka Gear