ND String Puller 28-Oct-21
JL 28-Oct-21
midwest 28-Oct-21
JohnMC 28-Oct-21
Saphead 28-Oct-21
midwest 28-Oct-21
JohnMC 28-Oct-21
28-Oct-21
So I have done some videoing of self hunts or others from a ground blind off a tripod. But I just bought a Muddy Hunt Hard Camera Arm. Hoping for some tips on best practices from guys that use it or similar arms. Couple things I am find challenging.

One best place to put it on tree. Yesterday I was in a tree that "V's" right at base of stand so I put on the V. The V is close when sitting in stand it about at my elbow if I extend by arm. It seem if I put it there or on tree trunk I am on moving it around it a hassle. Especially when deer are around. If they come from most likely spot (to by right) that is great. But if they come on other side of tree or behind which both could be a possibility it requires a bunch of movement. This spot is fairly thick so a deer can easily be 50 yards before I see them. So how best to set up so you can move it around with the least amount of motion and not worry about it being in the way of the shot.

Second the arm has some adjustment to get it level but only if tree slants slights towards bracket. There a screw on lower part of bracket. If tree slopes away fit will not adjust that way. Does any know a good way to shim it and still hold tight.

Any other tips for self filming from tree? I am not into it enough to miss a opportunity, so if it does not work out I'll just shoot deer and not film. But I'd liked to up my chances to do both.

28-Oct-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
I have a couple of these. They work great if your stand has a rail or side handles. You can also screw one of those extendable bow hanger arms into the tree and also clamp it to that. I've filmed numerous shots with this. It's simple, cheap, does the job and doesn't take up much room in the pack. There's a couple of variations but this is the jest of them. I screw my Sony Handicam into it.

You can find them on EBay for $6 or so. Search this title: (US STOCK) Camera Bike Handlebar Clamp Bracket Tripod Mount For Gopro

28-Oct-21
Check out www.trophytools.com

Long Krieger has sone interesting clamps and extenders that are strong, lightweight and reasonably priced.

We've replaced several of our camera arms with these and are quite pleased.

28-Oct-21
Thanks for the suggestions. But I am not looking for some cheap ways to mount a camera. I mostly have got that covered. I am just asking for guys that use a camera arm best was to use it efficiently. How/where to mount on tree. Tips and tricks for maneuvering it around when a deer shows up.

28-Oct-21
Mount it on your bow???

28-Oct-21
JL did you read my post???

28-Oct-21
Let me see if I understand this right John. YOUR LOOKING FOR A CHEAP CAMERA ARM:):)

28-Oct-21
Scrappy LOL

28-Oct-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Have you tried this?

28-Oct-21
John...sorry about that....there was a disconnect between my eyes and brain.

28-Oct-21
Did this thread get translated to another language?

28-Oct-21
Point camera at deer....shoot deer.....point camera back to you....say smoked that daddy rabbit or something similar.

Sorry John, hard to resist a good dog pile ! I’ve never filmed my hunts but have stayed at a holiday inn express once

28-Oct-21
^....as long as ya don't say something like "Smoked'em!!", "BooYah!" or scream "Dude!..Dude!" like a school girl. Those should be banned words in hunting life.

28-Oct-21
Have you tried a Muddy Hunt Hard Camera Arm?

;-)

28-Oct-21
I just change into my speedo for the recover video, no excessive celebration. If I do post one of them up remember it usually cold hunting and cold causes shrinkage.

But in all seriousness I know several guys on here film themselves shooting deer and I wish they would share some best practices and screw up to avoid. I know you can use wide angle cameras such as go pros or cell phones but I am going to be using by DSLR hoping to fill the frame a little more than those will do.

One more question for DSLR users preferred lens? I most likely to use my 70-200mm 2.8 but also have 24-70mm 2.8 and a 150-600mm which I think is way to much zoom for a archery hunt and it a beast to care around.

Or if you all know any good knock knock joke you might as well post them up to. But please do better than knock knock, who's there?, boo, boo who?, I made you cry,

28-Oct-21
I dont know if this helps. When I filmed my Lettin Loose video I would put the Arm on my left side folding the arms away from me then backing thee camera as close to the tree as I could. Then use my left hand to guide the camera. When I knew where my shot would be I would aim the camera there and move my hand to my bow and draw and shoot. I had less issues with the camera on my left about chest high. On 1 elk I shot i guided the camera with the tip of my bow till I stopped the elk and shot. Have fun ! Doug

28-Oct-21
Chris Bee has a couple of videos on how he self films. Has a new one that just released tonight on filming from his saddle. He has another from a few years ago filming from a treestand.

Here's his latest with his gear upgrades...

28-Oct-21
Thanks Midwest I’ll watch tomorrow

Get in touch