LKH 28-Oct-21
DonVathome 28-Oct-21
TD 28-Oct-21
MathewsMan 29-Oct-21
Heat 29-Oct-21
28-Oct-21

DonVathome's embedded Photo
I usually do not post stuff but this was my 2nd caribou and I do not plan to go back. This is a drawn permit and you hunt local, nonmigratory caribou. I saw a monster a week before and passed this guy for 5 days until the last minute - it was him of go home with nothing. I was happy but the big one was literally 50% bigger. He ha to turn his head sideways and lay his antlers parallel to the ground to eat because his shovels stuck out well past his nose. I know bou scoring is odd so I cannot say if he was a booner but he was the largest trophy animal of any species I have ever seen - ever.

This was the most physically demanding hunt of my life. I ate 6,000 calories per day and lost 6 pounds in 9 days. I flew 30 miles in solo.

28-Oct-21

another pic

28-Oct-21

The beast

28-Oct-21
That's a nice Caribou. Congratulations!

28-Oct-21
I tried to rotate pics sorry, zoom in on the beast pic and you get a feel for his size. I saw the one I got in the exact same spot so I am sure he was a lot bigger. I do not regret the one I got, he was nice and I gave it 100% and held out until the last minute. I got lucky because the last evening I could shoot he came close enough. He had been hanging out to far away for a couple days.

28-Oct-21
I watched a griz dig out a ground squirrel. Twice. Once with a glacier as the backdrop.

28-Oct-21
That’s a really nice bull. You got him solo and that’s an accomplishment in itself. Well done. Congrats!

28-Oct-21
I am rotating the images but nothing happens? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

28-Oct-21
No, the picture tools are just acting up lately.

Congratulations on a great caribou!

28-Oct-21
Congrats on a nice caribou and sounds like a heck of an adventure with the bears and being solo.

28-Oct-21
I've killed a lot of Bou and would be very happy with that one.

Congratulations

28-Oct-21
Again not at all disappointed, in fact it makes it a better trophy because I passed him until it was him or nothing. Even if the big one showed up he was so far away I did not have time to et him out and my heels were hamburger from going after him a week before and not stopping when I felt blisters. I set a distance I was confidence I could get a bou out in time and without destroying my feet. That evening when I shot mine was past the time I could go after the big one again. I got really lucky he came a mile closer that evening!

28-Oct-21
Nice! Sounds like pure adventure..... pretty cool.

29-Oct-21
Congratulations again Don! Wish I would have gone with after hearing about all the grizzlies you saw. I’m sitting here in Anchorage flying over to Kodiak to hunt the next two weeks… Anytime you are in the field in Alaska it’s always incredible.

29-Oct-21
Awesome hunt Don, thanks for sharing!

• Sitka Gear