Inshart 01-Nov-21
Mule Power 01-Nov-21
Ucsdryder 01-Nov-21
KsRancher 01-Nov-21
Ucsdryder 01-Nov-21
Jaquomo 01-Nov-21
Jordan 01-Nov-21
28-Oct-21
If I promise to make it short with lots of pictures can you guys overlook the fact that it’s a boom boom stick recap? =D

28-Oct-21
Is 'Boom Boom' a stripper? If so the more pictures the better.

28-Oct-21
Let it rip

28-Oct-21
Bring it!

28-Oct-21
Show us whatcha got.

28-Oct-21
Do it. Rifle hunt is way better than no hunt. I half thought about posting up my caribou hunt but I didn’t want to accidentally kill the bow purists in here

28-Oct-21
IMO....a good hunt is a good hunt. Post it up!

28-Oct-21
I like pictures

28-Oct-21
Would prefer a covid thread but whatever.

28-Oct-21
Let’s see that Bull.

28-Oct-21
Ok ok…don’t twist my arm! Just kidding, it’s always fun to re-live a hunt! I’ll work on this tonight. =D

28-Oct-21
Boom Boom? Does she have a sister named Cinnamon?

28-Oct-21
I wanna see Boom Boom

28-Oct-21
Brad, you’ve met her and she’s mean when she gets mad! ;)

Okay, where to start!

I’ve had a great run the last few years with a bow in my hands, but this year I had my hands full. The elk killer herself, Steph, was back with another archery tag, my dad joined us on his trusty steed, a white Percheron, and my buddy. Let’s just call him “Jordan”. Jk Jk!!!! Like I said, I had my hands full, so when it was time to get a tag, I opted for a 1st season rifle tag. This would be my first bull rifle tag and I was really excited to change it up and take on a new area and a new challenge!

29-Oct-21

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
The boom boom….sorry to disappoint some of you!!!
The boom boom….sorry to disappoint some of you!!!
I’ve fought with a tikka T3 superlight 300wm for 5 years. I just hated it. I had no confidence in my ability to shoot it and it kicked too hard to shoot it enough to become proficient. Finally, I made a decision to make a change. First, I ordered a thunderbeast suppressor. Then I sent my tikka off to a gunsmith that turned my stock tikka into a 7 Remington short action ultra mag. I filled my archery room with reloading equipment and I jumped in headfirst!!!!!

29-Oct-21

Let’s go scouting!!!!

29-Oct-21
Sweet rig there. What loads are you running

29-Oct-21

Elk country!
Elk country!

29-Oct-21

It likes to shoot tiny little holes into the same tiny little holes!
It likes to shoot tiny little holes into the same tiny little holes!
Bou, you’re going to get me in trouble with the bowsite die hards!

Quick rifle breakdown

20” CF BARREL

AG COMPOSITE CF STOCK

TBAC DOMINUS SUPPRESSOR

VORTEX RAZOR LHT 3-15x

180gr HORNADY ELD-M (yep, target bullets for hunting)

ADG 7saum BRASS

29-Oct-21

Ok…more scouting!!!!

29-Oct-21

Porchini!!!!!!
Porchini!!!!!!

29-Oct-21

Don’t eat this one!!!
Don’t eat this one!!!

29-Oct-21

The final haul! The scouting trip turned into a mushroom hunt!
The final haul! The scouting trip turned into a mushroom hunt!

29-Oct-21

29-Oct-21
Hunting season doesn’t last very long, sometimes the blink of an eye it seems. Scouting not only increases the chances for success, it’s just plain fun! It turns a week long hunting trip into a 3 month hunting adventure!

29-Oct-21

Boom boom stick.
Boom boom stick.
I bought Steph her own rifle. A 6.5creedmoore in a savage long range hunter. I cut the barrel and threaded it for a suppressor. She loved it!!! Right up until the moment she shot my 7saum. It hasn’t been shot since!

29-Oct-21
Bring it! I like pictures too.

29-Oct-21
Keep it coming!

29-Oct-21
Wow! I may need to look into those modifications! Great shooting rifle…

29-Oct-21
I’ll take a detour and talk about the rifle prep a little bit.

In the summer of 2020 I went to the range to make sure everything was dialed. I shot the first 3-4 shots and remembered why I hated that rifle!!! A couple more shots and I tried to stretch it out. The goal was to shoot a milk jug at 400 yards off my primos trigger sticks. After 3 shots I hadn’t hit it and I just had no desire to shoot anymore. I needed to make a decision. I either needed to brake on the rifle or get a new rifle.

My buddy said he had been looking at suppressors. That’s when I went full geek out. I started researching suppressors, barrels, rifles, then that lead to cartridges, bullets, etc!

You can’t mount a suppressor on a pencil barrel. There’s not enough shoulder on the barrel to support it. More wheels turning…

29-Oct-21

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Looking forward to the rest of the story! Since we are talking about Boom Boom sticks, here is mine from North Central WY on Sept 20th. 271 yard shot, grosses around 312”.

I’m sure this crowd would rather see pictures of your hunter than me, but here it is :^)

29-Oct-21
Rifle talk continued…

I don’t know about the rest of you but I know myself well enough to know that I don’t have the willpower to pass up a shot in heavy timber on an animal that jumps up because I don’t have earplugs in. For that reason I decided that a brake on my rifle was not an option for me. That left me with a Suppressor option and I made the decision to spend more money on a Suppressor than I had into my rifle and optics at the time! Looking back I will say right now that every person who is legally allowed should go out today and order a Suppressor. Wait times are between seven and 12 months, but somehow mine showed up in five months in a day!

Next was the decision on what caliber I wanted. After killing myself for five years with that 300 WM I decided against a 30 caliber. I wanted some thing I could shoot long range for target practice and you just can’t beat the ballistics of a 7MM bullet. If you want to short barrel you wanna short cartridge and I kept seeing the 7 short action ultra mag pop up. It had all the characteristics that I wanted, it was super efficient, worked great in short barrels, shot a ridiculously high BC bullet, and most importantly had a very manageable recoil. I decided to put it in my long action so I could shoot a 180 ELD match bullet and extend it way out for maximum powder capacity.

Here’s where things got wonky… I sent the gun to OMR (Oregon Mountain Riflles). They promised to spin on the carbon fiber barrel and put the barreled action in the AG composite stock. They were going to throat the action long for the longer bullets and I sent off some dummy rounds. It went downhill from there and if someone wants to send me a message I will explain my issues with OMR. Long story short I would strongly strongly strongly suggest using anybody other than OMR for your gunsmithing.

Like many of you guys I have a tendency to geek out when it comes to shooting in hunting, whether archery or rifle, and I found myself completely headfirst into the reloading and shooting realm. I was shooting multiple times a week, reloading every night, and finding new and innovative ways to spend money as fast as I could! I’ll post a few pictures and a video of the 7SAUM in action and then get back to my ”SHORT” story… Lol

29-Oct-21

300wm next to a 7saum. So sexy!!!!!
300wm next to a 7saum. So sexy!!!!!
I don’t think I can rotate it. You get the idea tho!

29-Oct-21
“I promise to make it short….”. haha keep it coming.

No doubt this short, not short!, boom boom elk recap is killin’ some purists on here…some of whom may be staying off BS till it is safe again but great stuff.

29-Oct-21
My boss used to call me “short story long”. I think I’ve lost 99% of bowsite as I’ve rambled on and on about everything hunting related EXCEPT archery!

29-Oct-21

650 yards.
650 yards.

29-Oct-21

The Javelin bipod is the only way to go!
The Javelin bipod is the only way to go!

29-Oct-21

Ucsdryder's Link
This is a good video showing just how little recoil the boom boom stick has!

29-Oct-21
The last upgrade I made to my rifle arsenal was my optics. I sold my ZEISS SF binoculars and bought ZEISS RF rangefinding binoculars. GAME CHANGER!!!!!

As my dad keeps saying…”it’s not fair!” And he’s absolutely right. The rangefinding binoculars calculate distance, angle, MILs, oh and elevation, humidity, and barometric pressure. Range, dial and shoot. It’s honestly ridiculous! I can shoot at 5k feet one day, then at 12k feet the next day with zero change to my setup. Like my dad says “it’s not fair”.

29-Oct-21

Fresh rub!
Fresh rub!
Back to the scouting! I ended up making 4 scouting trips and finally found my opening day spot!

29-Oct-21

BIG WALLOW!!!!
BIG WALLOW!!!!

29-Oct-21
Technology can be great.

29-Oct-21

I think we’re in the clouds!
I think we’re in the clouds!

29-Oct-21
Technology can be great….

Or a curse. If Colorado went to primitive for all seasons and methods of take I would vote in favor every single time!

29-Oct-21

Does it get any better? I didn’t see any elk here but I pile just imagine the big bulls feeding above timberline in those meadows at first light.

29-Oct-21
Totally understand the “geeking” out factor! I love shooting…anything!

Although my passion is and will always be hunting with my longbows, I still love shooting a precision rifle!

Keep it rolling!

29-Oct-21
This is going to be interesting. I got into reloading this year too as I'm not going to be a slave to the political times. I've got good loads for my .300WM, .270 and 6.5 PRC worked up (Accubonds). Already taken some critters with the PRC. BTW....my .300WM is Magnaported on one end and has a SVL pad on the other....huge difference in felt recoil. Keep talkin!!!!

29-Oct-21

What the hell! Come on Colorado…it’s September. Knock it off! If I wanted to feeeze my ass off I’d hunt 3rd season!

29-Oct-21

Let’s just say no elk were spotted on this scouting trip!

29-Oct-21
I promise there were elk spotted during the scouting trips! It just took a while to find them. When I finally found them I found a bunch!!!

29-Oct-21

This dog! Lol!!!
This dog! Lol!!!
We leave in a week for the youth Kansas pheasant opener. The pup will be a year and 3 days and the hunter will be 10 years and 7 days!

29-Oct-21

Look at that muddy bull!
Look at that muddy bull!

29-Oct-21

Same canyon!
Same canyon!

29-Oct-21
Almost go time! Archery season ended with no shots fired. There wasn’t a lack of encounters but Jordan at home, I mean my buddy, and Steph just couldn’t quite get everything lined up at the right moment! I kept saying “that bull would have been dead if I had my bow”. I finally got told to shut up! Lol!

29-Oct-21

Short legs make long hikes difficult!
Short legs make long hikes difficult!
But we had 1 more thing to do before it was time for elk!

PRONGHORN!!!!!

29-Oct-21
The family antelope hunt got turned into a daddy daughter hunt when Steph and my youngest got Covid! Everyone was fine!

We had a great time and the girls were troopers. Hunting with kids is less hunting and more entertaining but opening evening I put them in the truck on one bluff and hiked to an adjacent bluff. Right before the end of shoot time a truck pushed a buck a little too close!

I was laid out prone with my spartan bipod and my pack as my rear bag. I ranged him and dialed. He didn’t move as he stood broadside watching to see if the truck would stop. The crosshairs never even quivered as I squeezed the perfect trigger squeeze. The rifle barked and I was back on him immediately. Did I mention how much I love my new gun? I heard the boom, whack, but he started to run?! As he turned to show his other side it was bright red and he folded.

I heard screaming from the truck. My cheer squad heard the shot and couldn’t have been more excited. With light fading I decided to locate the buck, mark him and then go get the packing team.

As I came off my bluff I hear “daddddddy”. That didn’t come from the truck. “Dadddy, did you get him?” Obviously the pack team was heading my way. Pretty soon I see little orange heads pop up over a little rise.

They were so excited. We went to the spot I thought he fell and I ranged back to the bluff. Yep, he should be here. We split up and found him in 30 seconds. The eld-m went in behind the shoulder, blew out the heart and exited a tennis ball hole on the offside. No meat loss, a quick clean kill!!!

29-Oct-21

The pack team in the truck up on the bluff!
The pack team in the truck up on the bluff!

29-Oct-21

I was on the point of the bluff, this is where he stood when I shot
I was on the point of the bluff, this is where he stood when I shot

29-Oct-21

These kids!!!!
These kids!!!!

29-Oct-21

29-Oct-21

My pack team was super helpful. My youngest led the way with the flashlight (my phone) and the oldest took my gun.
My pack team was super helpful. My youngest led the way with the flashlight (my phone) and the oldest took my gun.

29-Oct-21

The desert a really cool place!

29-Oct-21

29-Oct-21
What a memorable hunt. When their dads no longer cool and doesn’t “understand” I hope they remember this daddy, daughter trip! I know I will forever.

Ok ok, I’m going to get all sappy thinking about them growing up.

With the pesky antelope tag out of the way, you know what time it is!????? ELK KILLING TIME!

29-Oct-21
Hmmm, short huh ? It’s ok, I’m retired……..:-)

29-Oct-21

Ok last one!
Ok last one!

29-Oct-21
Drycreek, I’m not! And I’m getting blown up with e-mail. Lol! I’ll be back later. :)

29-Oct-21
Awesome man. Love it. Keep at it! Family time is the bomb. Cherish it. My daughter is 7. Last summer we'd go fishing every morning. This summer she wanted to play with her cousins. Not to say it's gone for good, but it can end without you seeing it coming.

29-Oct-21
Shouldn't it only take one BOOM? ;)

29-Oct-21
I love seeing kiddos on the hunt. You had a great season right there had it ended the next day.

29-Oct-21
Scoot…as my dad used to say, nobody likes a smart ass!!!! ;)

Jordan….well I guess the antelope was boom…soooooo…. Maybe your logic will turn out to be correct!

Thanks WV, hunting with the kids is definitely special. I guess I haven’t outgrown the killing phase and it’s always a balance I have to remind myself!

29-Oct-21
With the kids taken care of and the car packed it was time to head for elk camp. I always get a little stressed out heading to camp, did I forgot anything…. Will other hunters have found my spot…? We made it to our spot and dropped some gear. It was 3pm so we headed up the hill to see if we could glass any elk in the “A” spot. After 5 minutes behind the binoculars 5 cows strolled out of the timber. Sweeeeeeet. We headed back to setup camp.

Steph hates being cold and wasn’t very excited about the prospects of lows in the teens at night. I promised wall tents, wood stoves, and saunas! As we were setting up the wall tent another hunter from a camp down the road started bugling.

Then he started working his way across the canyon bugling as we went. 10 bugles later the “hunter” went into another drainage. Bugling elk with a rifle!!!!!! Pffft….as if I wasn’t excited enough already!

I got the tent setup and the box stove put together. Ok, let’s get the stove pipe and get this finished. Oh crap…. where’s the stove pipe. Yep, sitting in the garage.

Life is hard when you’re stupid.

We headed back for Denver. 4.5 hours later we pulled in and threw the stupid pipe in the bed. We climbed into bed and slept for a couple hours. At 2am we headed back for the mountains. Sleeping in bed was nice, 9 hours of driving…not so much.

29-Oct-21

Yep…there’s a stove pipe.
Yep…there’s a stove pipe.

29-Oct-21

Camp really was cozy once it finally got set up. The stove will run you out and we went from sweating to freezing multiple times.

29-Oct-21
Are those bloody game bags with quarters in them by the tent?? ;)

29-Oct-21
Those look like quarters to me!

29-Oct-21
Funny story about that….we were driving up the mountain when I saw a grouse. It was HUGE!!!! I needed 2 game bags to keep it fresh!

29-Oct-21

29-Oct-21
We pulled up with plenty of time before shoot time. I had to work my way down a rockslide that looked doable from the top and easy based on Google earth.

GOOGLE EARTH IS A FILTHY LIAR!!!!

Halfway down it was apparent that this wasn’t a good decision. Snow covered rocks kept rolling down below me. I made it half way down and was making more noise than 200 elk stampeding through bubble wrap.

I sat down on my spot, braced my legs ahead of me so I didn’t slide down the hill and waited for a deaf elk to come out…the ones with working ears were probably in the next county.

29-Oct-21

Pictures never look steep. It was steep enough that I could go down, but couldn’t make it back up!
Pictures never look steep. It was steep enough that I could go down, but couldn’t make it back up!

29-Oct-21
I sat shivering until about 9am. I saw 2 smallish bulls down the canyon, 1 by myself and another with 4 cows. They were kill-able, but not what I was looking for.

The other thing I realized as I sat there. This is NOT the place you want to kill an elk. Pulling him out of that hole would have been BRUTAL, borderline undoable. I’m not one to back away from a challenge, but my minimum elk went from a solid 6 point to 350 or better. There were no 350 bulls to be found and I dropped down and around the rock face to a place I could climb back up. Not fun….

29-Oct-21
I heard 2 different sets of shots opening morning. Neither really close. The country was big and steep and I wished I had a pack of llamas with crampons.

We headed back to camp to regroup and figure out how to find a spot to kill an elk that wouldn’t require me to eat it on the spot.

29-Oct-21
That night we decided to get up high and glass. With not a ton of people in the area, and not a ton of elk, maybe something would come out above timberline. We got an early start and headed up a mountain and around the side to get away from the road. Once again we were on the side of a steep mountain, this time in 2 feet of drifted snow. The sun dropped below the mountain even though we had 2 hours of shooting light left and Steph started shivering.

29-Oct-21

I got home and bought a foam pad. Sitting in the snow is freaking cold!
I got home and bought a foam pad. Sitting in the snow is freaking cold!

29-Oct-21
Sometimes I do some dumb things and every once in a while I do something smart. I decided to pull the plug on the evening hunt. Steph was shivering uncontrollably and with 4 more days of hunting, I didn’t need to turn this into a miserable experience. We started making our way to the truck. As we worked our way across the mountain, I saw something that didn’t look right. “There’s an elk!”

I threw up the RFs and at 1550 yards I could tell it was a good bull. No need to study him, he’s a shooter.

Steph says “can you just shoot him from here?” She’s seen me shoot a looooong way over the past 4 months…I laughed and said, “I think we might need to get a little closer. He’s a mile away.”

He had come out of the timber and was feeding above timberline with a small bull. It looked like I could just walk down the road and get up high and possibly have a shot.

We hustled to the truck. I told Steph, sit here until you hear me shoot or until it gets dark. Then drive down and pick me up. I handed her my gun and told her to hold it while I took my spotter, tripod and water bladder out. Not need for an extra 15 pounds of crap!

As I furiously toss crap left and right I hear a metallic bang. I look down, and my gun is laying on the ground. Steph’s face…lol…it was a look of horror as she realized she just dropped my rifle on the ground!!!! Well I guess we’ll see how good the vortex scope holds it’s zero!

29-Oct-21

I’m on the point above Steph’s finger. The bull is out of the frame to the left.
I’m on the point above Steph’s finger. The bull is out of the frame to the left.

29-Oct-21
I got to the main road and hustled my way down the road. The road was out of sight of the elk the entire way. I got to the bend in the road and snuck up over the edge. The little bull was feeding. I ranged him at 902 yards. I dropped back down below the edge and worked my way to the little peak in the picture above. I ranged back to the first spot, 323. I was less than 600 yards from the little bull!

At this point I felt like I was some desert sniper. My gun was on its bipod, my pack off and in front of me. I was belly crawling up to the top of the peak, which would be skylined. I got the gun in front of me and put my pack under the but. It makes a hell of a rear bag! I glassed the area in front of me, nothing. The wind was marginal at best and the thought that it was already over crossed my mind.

Then I heard it…the creaking of an old Jeep coming up the road. What are the chances…

It was obvious another hunter was coming up to glass at last light, even though they were too late even if they saw something. The sun had set and we only had 20 minutes left of shooting light.

The old Jeep Wrangler parked and a woman, man, and their son jumped out and started snapping photos. Leaf lickers!

They had no idea I was 100 yards above them and there were bulls just over the rise.

I turned back and swept the hillside with my binoculars. I immediately saw him as he came up over a rise. One look at the horns and then it was time to get ready to shoot before he smelled me or the noise of creaking jeeps and slamming doors pushed him into the timber.

Ranging an elk is difficult when you’re shaking. I don’t get overly excited but holding still enough to get a good range isn’t always easy. My ranges were fluctuating 50 yards back and forth before I finally got 3 to read out the same. He was walking right to left, looking at the Jeep, which he couldn’t see because of the terrain. I tried to whistle. Luckily he stopped on his own because at that moment my mouth was too dry to do anything but blow air through parsed lips.

29-Oct-21
Earlier somebody mentioned the stock trigger on the tikka. I forgot to respond. I’ve considered putting an aftermarket trigger in the gun a few times because it seems like that’s what you do to make a precision gun better. The reality is that stock trigger is dynamite. It’s light, I figure around 16 ounces, it’s crisp, it has zero travel and most importantly, after a summer of shooting it…A LOT…I know when it’ll break.

I put the crosshairs 1/3 of the way up his body, behind the shoulder (I don’t want to hit shoulder with the match bullets if I can help it), and started to squeeze.

29-Oct-21
I realize I didn’t take nearly enough pictures on this trip. I have some sunrise and sunset pictures I don’t really want to post on the internet for everyone to see. The unit isn’t anything special and honestly, 90% of people have no business hunting it and would have a must more desirable hunt in most other units…myself included!

So there’s nothing to break up my rambling….other than Steph yelling at me to come carve pumpkins!

29-Oct-21

Here’s a picture of my “archery” room.

29-Oct-21
Yup. Short….

Now get back to it!

29-Oct-21
Lovin’ it!!!

29-Oct-21

A spider!
A spider!

29-Oct-21
The rifle cracked, well not a crack because it’s suppressed. It’s more of a “pew”. I was instantly back on the bull, at 15 power the crosshairs came off but settled back on him quickly. I saw him straighten 4 legs, stiffen up, and take 2 steps backward to catch his balance. I worked the bolt like a YouTube superstar and scanned the ridge. He was gone…

29-Oct-21
I looked back and the 3 jeepers were looking at me like I was an alien. I stood up and waved. They got back in their Jeep and got the hell out of there at double speed. I would have loved to hear that conversation as they went down the hill. Steph and I both had service and I called her. “Did you hear that shot?!l” She hadn’t but man she was excited. The question is…was she excited for me or excited she got to go home early?!!!

She came down the hill in the truck and I walked back to meet her.

29-Oct-21
I was pretty sure I hit him but wasn’t sure where. Without a spotter and with him immediately dropping below the ridge I wasn’t sure if it was a heart shot or a hoof shot. It was now right at the end of shoot time, plenty bright enough to see, but darkness was closing fast.

I called my dad and told him I shot a good bull. He says “good, you’ve been whining about how you weren’t going to see anything all day”. I had told him how daunting the mountains were and if I killed one Id never get it out of whatever hole I found it in!

So what to do…leave it overnight? Go look for blood? Leave it for a few hours and come back in the dark?

We decided to go look for blood. I took my gun, my headlamp, and my benchmade knife. Steph took her headlamp. I’m not sure why I thought leaving my pack, filled with game bags and all the stuff you really need to butcher an animal, in the truck, but at the time it seemed like the right decision.

29-Oct-21
What was your final shot distance when you got the three distances ranged??

29-Oct-21
Awesome pumpkin!

Looking forward to the results….

29-Oct-21
We headed out, with the little rise in sight. About half way there a herd of elk stood staring at me from 50 yards. They were on the other side of the hill and I never saw them. They must have been with the bull. They took off down the ridge into the timber. We got to the spot where the bull was standing and started looked for blood and tracks. Nothing! The lack of blood was a bad sign but the lack of foot prints confused me. I ranged back to the point I shot from. I still had 200 yards to go! We headed to the next little rise and ranged back, 100 yards short still. Then I saw the rise. Now that looks right! We got to the spot and I picked up his tracks immediately in the snow. I followed them until they made a hard right turn and headed down the hill.

29-Oct-21

Then I found it. First blood. To say I was less than optimistic after seeing the speck of blood. I hit him! Now the question was where. That sure didn’t look like a lethal hit. Guts? Brisket?

We decided to follow the tracks a little further. 100 yards down the hill the ridge fell off into the abyss. If he made it to the edge, he would make it to the bottom, whether he rolled or ran.

Another 10 yards, another speck. I knew I should back out and let him sit, but I couldn’t help myself. I was like a deaf and dumb bloodhound! We now were 30 yards down the hill and following the trail was easy in the snow, lots of tracks, no blood.

29-Oct-21

29-Oct-21

Ucsdryder's Link
If you remember Steph’s bull last year I did the same thing to her! Let’s hope it becomes an annual tradition!

29-Oct-21
Yes! I do the same thing with my wife, “hey come over here I lost the blood”, then she walks right into him LOL!

30-Oct-21
Nothing sweeter than the smell of powder burning. Tuned in.

30-Oct-21

Entrance. It looks low but if you look closely you can see the dark hair from his belly, the shot was about 1/3 of the way up.
Entrance. It looks low but if you look closely you can see the dark hair from his belly, the shot was about 1/3 of the way up.
The bull slid down the last 20 yards. He was already stiff. So where’s the blood? Apparently it was still in him! When I took off the front shoulder the blood poured out by the bucket full. The shot went in tight behind the shoulder, a couple inches above the elbow. It exited almost the exact same spot. It took out the heart and I believe the esophagus as both holes were plugged with freshly eaten grass. That explained the lack of blood!

30-Oct-21

Exit hole clogged with grass.
Exit hole clogged with grass.

30-Oct-21
It was dark by now and we decided to cut him up and lay out the meat. Good thing the game bags and packs were safely back at the truck!

30-Oct-21

He was a pretty bull!
He was a pretty bull!

30-Oct-21
We got all the meat cut up and rolled the carcass down the hill. Another few yards and I would have been trying to access him from the bottom of the canyon! LUCKY!

Without game bags we laid the quarters in the snow and the trim meat over some limbs of a little tree.

Steph didn’t want to leave the back straps or tenderloins, she was scared the coyotes would eat them. I told her coyotes won’t mess with it and it’s fine, but it also saved us an additional trip the following day. I threw a shoulder over my shoulder and we walked out.

30-Oct-21
Well, not before I laid my shirt, hat, and orange vest over the meat and peed in a circle around everything. Just in case!

30-Oct-21

Not a lot of girls will throw a couple of warm, blood hunks of meat over their shoulder and hike them out. She didn’t have a hair tie so she got extra bloody. Good girl!

30-Oct-21
We made it back to the truck, headed back to camp and had a good meal. The coyotes were howling all night.

We fired up the wood stove and she was like a pig in slop! She kept opening the air dampeners and pretty soon I was laying on the top of my cot with nothing but my boxers on, while it was 18 degrees outside the sauna tent.

30-Oct-21
The next morning we headed back in before sunrise. We brought our packs and game bags. We trimmed the hide off the quarters and knocked off the feet. “Are we missing a piece?” She says to me. I look around….1… 2 … there should be 3 since a shoulder was at the camp. Nope, not there. What the hell? I look down the hill and there it is. A coyote stole my sirloin roast and a little bit of the round. Dirty bastard. It was almost worth staying an extra day so I could set up across the canyon with my Saum!

30-Oct-21

We shuttled all the meat to the top of the hill and made the 2 trips.

30-Oct-21

30-Oct-21

I got the horns on the hard part, she got them on the easy part!
I got the horns on the hard part, she got them on the easy part!

30-Oct-21

On the way home we got a couple honks and a “**** yeah” from a guy throwing me the hang loose sign. I love seeing antlers in the rear view mirror.

There’s my short story! =D

If anybody has anymore questions on my setup feel free to shoot me a PM or ask on here.

30-Oct-21
Good stuff John. Congrats on another great season.

30-Oct-21
Great set of hunts with the girls! Plenty of excitement and good times! Great to get those little ones out there to kindle the fire for being outdoors women! Well done!

30-Oct-21
Congrats on a great hunt!

30-Oct-21
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

30-Oct-21
Congrats!

30-Oct-21
Great story! Love seeing the pics of your girls out there with you. I’ve got two myself and an older boy. The middle girl is a die hard shooter and carnivore! Congrats!

30-Oct-21
thanks for sharing reminds me of my daughters. Enjoyed when you can before they leave home.

30-Oct-21
Excellent story and pics. Congrats!

30-Oct-21
I enjoyed the long version of your short story, thanks!!

30-Oct-21
Way to go John! Great story, thanks for taking us along! Nice looking family you have there....raising those kids right!

30-Oct-21
John, excellent, just excellent all the way around! Thanks!

ElkNut

30-Oct-21
That's awesome! Congrats!

30-Oct-21
Great story! Thanks for posting!!! Congrats on a sweet hunt, and a great wife!

We are hunters, be it, bow, gun, or slingshot. I’m actually starting gravitate little more towards gun myself in the past year. As the kids get older and time becomes more precious, sometimes you just gotta go out and make stuff happen. At the end of the day hunting is fun, and success is fun, and a gun typically brings more success than a bow, with less time invested. Great job again!

30-Oct-21
I think the hunt and the weapon of choice was awesome. It’s a beautiful rifle in a fun cartridge.

I have a lot of stories from this year that are going to be my most treasured memories from this year. And it’s all with a rifle.

30-Oct-21
Well I’m one of those jerks that usually yawns at a gun story on Bowsite (even tho I hunt with guns all the time!), this one was worth it! Great story! I also love geeking out on technical stuff so fine custom rifles fascinate me immensely too. I’ve got several. Those short 7 mags (saums and wsms) are excellent cartridges! Great job on a beautiful bull and a beautifuler and super cool wife!

30-Oct-21
Also, I’ve always wondered with your handle, did you go to UCSD?

30-Oct-21
Truly enjoyed reading this!

30-Oct-21
Thanks for posting your story. That was fun following along. More folks ought to post up their gun hunt stories, pics and vids. There are probably great ones waiting to be posted up.

30-Oct-21
SD, yep, I went to ucsd and lived in San Diego for 5 years. Great place, just not for a kid that grew up on a cattle ranch! ;)

30-Oct-21

Thank you all for the kind comments and allowing me to share. It’s always fun to remember some of the smaller details, like Steph dropping my rifle and the coyote stealing 10 pounds of prime hind quarter!

Steph is a trooper. I’ve come back to the truck more than once after a grueling day and wondered if this was the moment where she tells me she’s done with my adventures…and me! There have definitely been some tears along the way, but I feel very fortunate to have found someone not only willing to put up with obsession, but to come along for the ride!

30-Oct-21
Great "short" story! lol Love the family involvement, especially the girls with your goat, having a blast!

Thanks for sharing..

30-Oct-21
Great school! I can relate amigo. Born and raised about 3 miles from the UCSD campus, but my summers were spent roaming my family’s property in the Eastern Sierras and that’s what mostly shaped who I am. Live in Point Loma now. If you gotta live in a city, not sure there’s a better one than SD. But I do need to head for the hills regularly.

31-Oct-21
I am Gian’s dad. I did give him a pep talk that morning. The mountain was kicking his ass, and he was getting discouraged and disappointed. He has never taken hunting disappointment well. When he was a little guy, not old enough to have a gun, we took a couple horses up to the top of Snowstorm Mountain in Northeastern California. A Five Dot Ranch cowboy had told me at the auction yard in Cottonwood that there some big bucks right at the top. We headed out in the dark, not knowing where in the hell we were, and just kept going up hill. We figured that sooner or later we would run out of uphill at the peak. Sure enough, when it started getting light. the peak was just uphill from us. We split up and surrounded a bowl of sage brush. Soon I heard the familiar, “dad.” “Dad.” “DAD!” I looked up in front of him where he was pointing and couldn’t see a thing. When the sun comes up and hits the sage it lights up the sage. If there had been a UPS truck out there I wouldn’t have been able to see it. When I finally did see them, they were skylining, going over the top. Gianni was mad as hell, and wanted to go home. “Come on, Gian, we’ll see some more.” No, there was no consoling him; he wanted to go home. Later, when we stopped at the Standish General Store, and walked in, they had some big old-time Muley mounts on the walls. He looked at them, then looked hard at one, and that little finger came up. I knew what was coming. “Thant one. The big one looked just like that one. That one.” I looked up, and at that point, I wanted to go home with him.

01-Nov-21
Outstanding --- Like others, I enjoy the family outings getting posted on here.

01-Nov-21
Did you ever consider just installing a muzzle brake? Those things work better than I ever imagined. I shoot a cannon… 300 Ultra Mag. It was a BEAST without a brake. Now it’s a pussy cat.

01-Nov-21
MP, I would never brake a hunting gun. Some guys love them but I don’t like them for a couple reasons. The first is that I don’t have the will power to pass a shot on an animal if I don’t have plugs in. If you can let a big bull or big buck jump up in thick timber and then run off as you fumble around with plugs then you’re a better man than me!

The other issue is that a suppressor just changes the way a gun recoils. It takes away that blowback that a muzzle brake enhances. That force field that blows back into your face is almost worse than the actually thumping against your shoulder.

Lots of guys love them, they’re just not for me.

01-Nov-21
^X2. I have a 300 RUM with a brake. It's no biggie to shoot as far as recoil. But wow, gives you a headache to shoot. I have to wear plugs under my muffs to shoot it. But it's more that just that, it like mentioned above. That "air thump" that comes back at you is miserable. And I am just like John. Not going to pass up a shot just cause don't have plugs in. This year I had to get setup and shoot quick as I spooked the elk I was after. 3 shot without plugs in isn't great. But I got my bull. Brake is coming off

01-Nov-21
Ks, as you probably know, every time you damage your ears with a gun shot your hearing gets a little worse and it never comes back. So it’s bad enough on a normal gun but then you do it with a brake on your gun, especially if you’re in timber, and you can really do some permanent damage in a hurry. Especially if you do three in a row! I bet your ears were ringing for a bit!!!

Before I bought my suppressor I had never shot a gun with one on, if you have the chance I would highly recommend trying it. I would find it hard to believe anybody who shot a rifle that was suppressed wouldn’t immediately decide they needed to buy one!

I would assume there are plenty of good suppressors out there but from the research I did the gold standard is thunderbeast. My suppressor is 100% titanium which makes it super lightweight and really easy to clean.

01-Nov-21
Great story, Gian, and congratulations again! Awesome!

01-Nov-21
I am glad I was wrong...BOOM BOOM for sure! Great job, great story!

• Sitka Gear