Kidwalker 07-Nov-21
Nomad @ work 12-Jul-23
Velvet Muley 12-Jul-23
Brotsky 12-Jul-23
SteveB 13-Jul-23
skinner creek 13-Jul-23
gobble50 13-Jul-23
28-Oct-21
Headed to robs here in two weeks to chase whitetails. We’re not big drinkers but definitely like to have a Canadian snort if possible. Wonder what everybody recommends for a good whiskey?

28-Oct-21
cnelk told me it's no good unless it comes in a plastic bottle.

28-Oct-21
Forty Creek is pretty good. Reasonable too. Crown Royal of course.

28-Oct-21
VO

28-Oct-21
X2 - Forty Creek several varieties.

28-Oct-21
I have yet to find a Canadian whisky that I like.

28-Oct-21
Wish I could help but I’m a bourbon ?? guy good luck Lewis

28-Oct-21
Canadian Club

28-Oct-21
I’ve had 40creek copper pot and it was very good.

28-Oct-21

MQQSE's embedded Photo
It’ll refine your pallet.
MQQSE's embedded Photo
It’ll refine your pallet.

28-Oct-21
LEWIS, a fantastic bourbon , Jefferson’s Ocean-Aged at Sea

28-Oct-21
You'll pay more for Canadian Whiskey in Canada than if you buy it in the States

28-Oct-21
I’m not a drinker but crown royal was always one of the best.

28-Oct-21
Knob Creek, Eagles Rare, 4 Roses, Makers, Woodford Reserve....

28-Oct-21
Depends. Do you want a rye based whiskey or a bourbon? Big difference. If whiskey, hard to go wrong with Crown Royal, unless you want an exotic small batch that costs a bunch and may be worth it for a special deal.

28-Oct-21
Not a rye drinker.. live 4 roses, Basel Hayden’s, wild Turkey 81, Buffalo trace… looking for something comparable above the border

28-Oct-21

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I’ve drank gallons of this stuff. Both in plastic and glass bottles! Lol

29-Oct-21
No such thing as a good Canadian whiskey.

29-Oct-21
ohlordnotthat! We used to drink Windsor at deer camp, legendary hangovers with that stuff. Probably saved a few bambi lives ;-)

29-Oct-21
Seagrams 83 is awesome, its my go to, and the 66er comes in a plastic bottle! Crown is good to, its a little sweeter. If your more into scotch try crown royal northern harvest

29-Oct-21
DanaC, good one! When I was a kid in northern Michigan deer camps. A lot of deer were saved by too much whiskey. I’m glad I experienced those classic camps,

Mackinaw wool coats, Marbles knife and compass. Lever guns with iron sights. Field stone fireplace, cigar and cigarette smoke, Johnny Cash, poker.

Oh yeah and the occasional deer hanging

29-Oct-21
Jay, at home it's slugs or ML's but in VT I carried a good bolt action Remington. Still have it, have added a couple Henry's in 22 and 45-70 to the 'stable'. One for bears, one for plinking.

I most avoid whiskey now, my short snort of choice is good tequila. But when I get out of the deer woods on a cold November evening...

29-Oct-21
Listen to Carcus in this one.

29-Oct-21
Bring a 750 of Maker's with you from home. You can bring one bottle across I think. Yellowstone Whisky is my current bourbon of choice. Excellent.

29-Oct-21
If you're into polyester, have nice hair, and are a woman's man, some CC and a little 7 will keep you Stayin' Alive......ah ha ha.....stayin' aliiiiiiiiiiiive! -- Tony Manero

29-Oct-21
I don't think there is any really high end top shelf Canadian Whisky out there anymore. 30 or so years ago Seagrams V.O. and Canadian Club were considered the most popular ones. Seagrams Crown Royal back then was considered the top of the Totem Pole, but Seagrams sold that line off and is now produced to be sold and compete at a different price point and the marketing is to a different trend with their new different flavors. Still a good one though. Canadian Club has been watered down from 86 proof to 80 proof to be able to compete at a lower price point. And it went from a 4 year to a 3 year whisky to do that. Still the best "bang for my buck" (No Pun Intended) is Windsor Canadian. Lord Calvert isn't too bad either. Windsor used to be the best selling brand in my state of Nebraska. Outselling all other distilled spirit brands in the state. But of course here in Nebraska we're considered fly over country LOL As far as a good bourbon goes, Woodford Reserve is excellent or Old Forester 86 can't be beat for the price.

29-Oct-21
Good and Canadian do not belong in the same sentence if you are discussing whiskey. Moose, deer, bears, are all good, but not whiskey………;-)

29-Oct-21
Wiser's, Gibson's, are good rye whiskies too.

29-Oct-21
Crown XR

29-Oct-21
I'm a rye guy and I love crown. Seagram's 83 is the stuff that doesn't make the cut to be Crown so it's good at a lesser price point. But all that to say I can't help you lol

29-Oct-21
"We’re not big drinkers" Spit tea all over my monitor! Thanks Danny. Can't help you with any Canadian booze. Otherwise, bowbender is spot on.

29-Oct-21
My wife prefers Wiser over Crown Royal my bourbon picks are Blanton,Larceny,Heavens Door ( Bob Dylan’s distillery and Davidson reserve Good luck Lewis oh I agree with Padeerslayer on the Jeffersons

29-Oct-21
Drycreek, agree 100%. And don’t forget about Canadian beer, perhaps the worst beer on the planet.

I love Canada but their prime minister and their beer suck hard.

29-Oct-21

Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Dang Pat, was going to FedEx you a 12 of your favorite!

29-Oct-21
It's not Canadian but take a look at Horse whiskey,good story also

29-Oct-21
If you can find it: Alberta Springs. You won't be sorry.

29-Oct-21

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Crown Royal is a favorite of mine.

Wyo Rodeo isn’t too shabby either.

29-Oct-21
Jim Beam or George Dickel, you won’t be disappointed ! Well….you might, but if you are, you just ain’t right !

29-Oct-21
Pat with all due respect American beer is piss, it's water and has no flavour. But I guess what do you expect at 3%. In regards to hard stuff, I'm a Crown fan but definitely not a whiskey aficionado, so take that for what it's worth.

29-Oct-21

JL's Link
I don't drink but am always curious about the history of something. I found this bit of info. Read on....

Everything You Need to Know About Canadian Whisky

Not much is said about Canadian whisky in the American whisky community, and it’s unfortunate. While Canadian whisky often gets a bad rap, there is much to learn from the uniquely artistic distilling practices of Canadian whisky companies.

What Makes Whisky Canadian?

Before we can get into the specialties of Canadian whisky, we have to explain what categorizes a whisky as ‘Canadian.’

All Canadian whiskies must be aged a minimum of 3 years in 700 liter or smaller wooden barrels. It must have a 40% ABV, must be made of a cereal grain, and must be made in Canada. Compare that to Scotch whisky regulations and you’ll be amazed at how much room Canadians have to stretch their whisky-making muscles.

Another important aspect of Canadian whisky is that it can contain 9.09% or less of a coloring, flavoring, or other spirit as long as this addition has been aged for at least 2 years.

This 9.09% rule has been the cause of many debates throughout the years. While other countries claim that this blending of spirits makes Canadian whisky cheap and distasteful, modern whisky drinkers are realizing that this is what makes Canadian whisky so special.

By blending in other spirits, Canadian distillers can experiment with all kinds of flavors, making Canadian whisky the most unique type of whisky on the market. Adding in wine, bourbon, rum, or sherry, among other things, is what gives some Canadian whisky flavors that you can’t find elsewhere.

Canadian whisky is known by whisky connoisseurs to be rich in flavor combinations. Hints of vanilla, cinnamon, nut, and fruit are all frequent guests in a bottle of the stuff.

A Brief History of Canadian Whisky

Canada has always had close ties with Scotland, which explains why they spell it ‘whisky’ and not the Irish/American way, ‘whiskey.’ Today, 4.7 million Canadians claim to come from Scottish descent.

When Canadians first started making whisky in the 1830s, they used wheat. Eventually, Dutch and German immigrants began including rye in their whisky. Rye whisky became so popular that people started asking for the rye-made whisky especially. Thus, Canadian whisky is often simply referred to ‘rye,’ even if it doesn’t actually contain any rye grains.

By this time, Canada was exporting whisky to the US. However, the US taxed Canadian whisky very highly, and only lowered the taxes if Canadian whisky contained 9.09% American spirits. Today, exported Canadian whisky does not have to contain American spirits, but the 9.09% idea stuck -- as mentioned above.

Almost all Canadian whisky sales suffered because of Prohibition in 1920, as much of their income was from the US. To make any profit at all, whisky had to be sold at incredibly cheap prices. One company, however, used Prohibition to their advantage and skyrocketed their sales -- Bronfman’s Distillers Corporation.

By supplying the American bootleg whisky market, Bronfman was not only able to grow his company, but gave American’s a taste for Canadian whisky, too.

Fast forward to today and Canadian whisky makes up some of the most popular whisky in America. In 2018, more than half of all whisky sales in the US were made by Canadian whisky brands.

Yet, for some reason, Canadian whisky is not held up on the same pedestal as other types of whisky.

Canadian Whisky Today

Since Canadian whisky is not held to a high standard by non-Canadians, it is sold at a much lower price than it should be. This is made obvious when you look at the ‘luxury’ bottles of whisky on the market.

A 20 year old Scotch whisky can easily sell for over $200, while you can find a just-as-good Canadian whisky sold for half of that. When you consider that Canadian whisky is often the most original, creative whisky in the world, its inexpensive price tags are shocking.

In the US, it is widely believed that single malt whiskies, made from only one type of grain, are better than blended whiskies. This encourages a lack of support for Canadian whisky, as they are often blended. Yet, many American whiskies are blended too, and they aren’t faced with the same kind of prejudice.

Despite that lacking-in-logic claim against Canadian whisky, recent whisky culture is becoming much more open to it. At the World Whiskies Awards, held every year, there is a specific category for Canadian whiskies, called ‘Canadian Blended.’ This allows for Canada’s whiskies to be put in the spotlight at least one day every year.

Plus, the Canadian Whisky Awards helps to spread the passion for Canadian whiskies and even contributed to the growth of the whisky culture in British Columbia.

As times are changing and whisky becomes increasingly popular, there is more toleration for new flavors and spirit blends. But, we can’t see into the future. Will Canadian whisky get the recognition it deserves, or will simpler, American blended and single malt whiskies steal the show?

Only time will tell.

Then of course there is in-depth Wiki....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_whisky

29-Oct-21
Definitely not Canadian Mist! Frankly, I don't like Canadian booze. I used to be a bartender in the military (on the side) so I have tasted just about everything. A blend is easier to drink but a good one like Crown Royal is hard to beat because it is smooth. Some of the Scotch drinks are fantastic (15-18) year old for sure. I always have some scotch for my friends when they come over but not everyone likes scotch. Can't go wrong with Crown Royal!

29-Oct-21
Very interesting post about the history.. but… it kinda makes me want to stick with my known American whiskeys.. also.. anyone try “Leadslingers”.. it’s a vet owned company that makes damn good whiskey ??

30-Oct-21
"Pat with all due respect American beer is piss,"

David, wadr you don't know jack about 'American beer' if all you've been exposed to is Bud, Coors and Miller. We have stuff that wins awards all around the world. 'Craft' beers are easy to find that suit any taste from 'milk stouts' to IPA's to seasonals to...

Some of the stuff from Berkshire Brewing in western Mass. would bring tears of joy to any beer fan. You want authentic 'Trappist Ale'? They do that a few towns east of here.

Personal favorite - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Widely available, we might even share some with you sad, sorry Molson drinkers ;-)

30-Oct-21
crown royal

30-Oct-21
Been across Canada and the whisky/beer and chocolate is fine but the food in the dinners have a real off taste takes a shot or a beer to get rid of it, but the rest is great except for the government.

30-Oct-21
Been across Canada and the whisky/beer and chocolate is fine but the food in the dinners have a real off taste takes a shot or a beer to get rid of it, but the rest is great except for the government.

30-Oct-21
"Pat with all due respect American beer is piss, it's water and has no flavour. "

If your baseline is Bud, Coors and Miller agreed. Went out to dinner last Saturday with "She who must be obeyed" had a local brew, Pig Iron Chocolate Porter that was to die for. At 8% ABV it's better than the much vaunted Molson Golden or LaBatts Blue. Dogfish Head 60min IPA is pretty good as is Troeggs Field Study.

30-Oct-21
I use Labbatts for mouth wash in the morning...42 north brewery East Aurora NY... getcha some.

30-Oct-21
Gibson’s. The Silver is good if you mix but the Gold (12 year) and Finest (18 year) are fantastic. Best value out there at the duty free.

30-Oct-21
"....but the food in the dinners have a real off taste takes a shot or a beer to get rid of it,...."

Interesting perspective. I thought some of the food I had was ok....some not so. I had some of the gravy on french fries stuff with the funny name (pootain??) It was ok....maybe it was the way the brown gravy was cooked?? Portions were small too. I had some fish too that was pretty greasy. I had pizza at the FBO in St John's that was great. I don't know where they got it from but it was great.

30-Oct-21
I'm with drycreek and the Jim Beam. Usually available and reasonable priced. Really goes good at the end of a successful hunt. Hope Jaq doesn't see my post as he is a connoisseur of good whiskey and will probably think that I am off base. Pat, don't know too much about beer but I do know that American beer does not hold a candle to German beer. I think that those that have spent time in Germany will heartily agree that it can't be beat.

30-Oct-21
This little non-covid discussion in fun, but after all, taste is personal. Personally, I think most all beer is made from under a horse who drinks Budweiser, but I know there are lots of beer drinkers out there. I got no room to talk because when I was practicing to be an alcoholic I drank Popov vodka. It tasted damn good about midnight on Saturday night but the hangover would put a Haitian earthquake to shame.

30-Oct-21

Bowhunt3138's embedded Photo
Bowhunt3138's embedded Photo
Crown Royal for whiskey and Blue Star for beer.

30-Oct-21
"badbull" ....you're're right about German beer. Even mass produced beer is great pretty much in every european country. Does not compare to north American mass produced beer. One of my favs is Czech beer. American mass produced beer is water.

30-Oct-21
Crown Royal is smooth stuff but you should take Woodford Reserve

30-Oct-21
Dana C ......we weren't talking about craft beer, just everyday Joe Blow beer in general. Theres great craft beers in Canada too. All craft beers are " overhopped" to make them different and distinct. Not a huge fan of them.

30-Oct-21
I honestly can’t believe so many think crown royal is good whiskey.. no offense of course..

31-Oct-21
"All craft beers are " overhopped"..."

Yet another misconception. Not ALL small brewers make only IPA's and other hop-heavy beers. (Not a fan myself.) There are some great 'regular' pale ales and lagers, pilsners and weissbiers, black-and-tans and stouts etc. Something for every taste.

Maybe stop generalizing?

01-Nov-21
Exactly what I was thinking Danny. Tin Cup vs Crown? Absolutely no comparison. But like you said, no offense! Would like to try Leadslingers. Maybe next spring as a " bunk house" warming present?

01-Nov-21
I'll bring it!

01-Nov-21
Not a big whiskey fan, but Crown Royal is not that bad. Crown Royal Black is even better. That being said, I'm a bourbon drinker. Been leaning towards higher end bourbons for several years now but if you can't afford them, you can't go wrong with Wild Turkey 101.

As for beer, the older I get it seems beer fills me up too quickly before I get the desired affect. I generally drink Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. Awesome stuff and is 8.2%. I keep pint glasses in my freezer to enjoy this nectar from the Gods.

01-Nov-21
Crown Royal may be the nastiest shit on earth. I've drank my share but it is literally gross in all regards. You want some good Canadian whiskey get you some cheap ol' James Foxxe. Less than half the price of Crown and twice or maybe even 4x better! You'll thank me later.

01-Nov-21
Don't like Wild Turkey, but my go to now days in Wild Turkey American Honey...

02-Nov-21
Zbone,

"She who must be obeyed" bought a bottle of that a year or so ago...make some drink of the Holidays. Well, she never did mix it up, so I cracked the seal, covered two cubes...and oh my is that good. Never was a fan of the flavored whiskeys, but that stuff is wicked good!

02-Nov-21
Pendleton Midnight

02-Nov-21
Pop-r: "Crown Royal may be the nastiest shit on earth. I've drank my share but it is literally gross in all regards."

I know guys that make their own wine and beer and claim it's great too. If you prefer Foxxe to Crown, then you'd be one of those guys. lol

Crown , Crown Northern Harvest and Crown Black are all great Canadian whiskys. Northern Harvest won the World's Best Whisky title.

Some of the others mentioned in this thread are good for paying off bets. Cheap and the winner won't enjoy his victory drink.

02-Nov-21
Canadian Hunter

02-Nov-21
I hope Pendleton Midnight is a lot better than Pendleton. I had a bottle of it given to me by a daughters boy friend and I thought I'd never get the 3 fingers poured in front of him down. Nasty stuff. I would of poured it out if he hadn't stayed and watched me drink it.

02-Nov-21
Midnight is stronger, and therefore better, than the original Pendleton Blended Canadian Whiskey. There was a version called "8 Seconds" that was 100 proof and excellent.....but for some reason it's not available now in the east.

Any Canadian is better than bourbon, imo, because it doesn't have the kerosene aftertaste. You know......like Wild Turkey, or Jack Daniels.

02-Nov-21
Duck! Incoming!

Sundowner, I did a search on Canadian whisky and something popped up called "Pendleton Director's Reserve". Any thoughts?

I've noticed that Crown Royal now comes in flavors, vanilla, apple etc.

02-Nov-21
I haven't seen "Director 's Reserve" but I surely do look forward to trying it! Thanks!

02-Nov-21
Yep Bowbender, thumbs up, that's how I drink it on ice...8^)

03-Nov-21
I'm not a fan of bourbons at all, everyone has different tastes... but if you like a smooth Canadian Rye Whiskey I like the limited editions like 40 Creek Double Barrel, Master's Cut, or Confederation Oak. My favorite of all time is Signal Hill, made on the east coast of all places, but has to be one of the smoothest rye whiskey's I've ever tried. It's fantastic!

03-Nov-21
Ambush, I see crown northern harvest but not late harvest…?

03-Nov-21
MA, you are correct, my bad. I'll edit, thanks.

I'm really not a fan of the maple, apple or other flavored Crowns. But then I don't like oddball flavors in my beer either. I see nothing wrong with just beer flavored beer.

03-Nov-21
I’d agree on the flavors ambush. I do want to try the northern harvest now tho.

03-Nov-21
I wonder do they make moonshine in Canada?

03-Nov-21
Yes they do. One of the most well know being Newfie Screech. And yes it’s as terrible as it sounds!

Typically a friend would show up at your door with a bottle of Screech and a pistol, which he would point at you and order you to drink.

Then he’d hand you the pistol and tell you to make him drink.

03-Nov-21
Y’all are picky! Crown is fine, Pendleton will do. Neither is a good sipping whiskey and many of you need to know bourbons and rye aren’t Canadian whiskey which is what the OP asked about.

Now since we’ve already transgressed and if we’re talking great sipping whiskey I’ll take a Dalmore Portwood Reserve over anything listed thus far. Even better is a Dalwhinnie 16 year old Portwood but good luck finding it. I bought a bottle at the distillery in Scotland and wish I would’ve filled my suitcase and left my clothes! There are some real good ryes and craft bourbons have actually brought me back.

As far as beers, I’m starting to see a move away from IPAs on the west coast and starting to see more complex Pilsners and Lagers being brewed and I’m all in for this move since IPAs are a waste of grains IMO. Now off to the liquor cabinet or beer fridge…..

03-Nov-21
Ambush for the win thats the funniest story Ive heard in a long time. Thanks for the laugh...

05-Nov-21
Forty Creek suits me the best. A lot of of my clients fly home with a bottle after being surprised by how smooth it is. On the rocks is the way I like it. Even some of the hard core Bourbon drinkers like to change it up with a Forty once in a while.

05-Nov-21
Caribou Crossing. Tasty and the bottle and box it comes in both very cool and appropriate for a hunting camp.

05-Nov-21

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Mertyman, we packed two bottles of Caribou back and forth several times before we killed a couple bulls. It sure tasted good then!!

05-Nov-21
"Pendleton will do"

Yes it will! There is no better blended sippin whiskey than Pendleton Midnight......IMO of course!

06-Nov-21

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo

06-Nov-21
Don’t waste your cash on the Canadian swill . Follow Bowbenders advice. You’ll be happy you did. ?? ??

07-Nov-21
Don’t waste your cash on the Canadian swill . Follow Bowbenders advice. You’ll be happy you did. ?? ??

12-Jul-23

Nomad @ work's embedded Photo
Nomad @ work's embedded Photo
Well.....according to the boys on Letterkenny.........

12-Jul-23
Crown is overrated. If you haven't tired Canadian Club Reserve, you are missing out, put that and crown side by side and see for yourself.

12-Jul-23
Is Canadian bacon better than real bacon? Applies to whiskey as well.

13-Jul-23
Doug/Skinner Creek.....

Your place is where I had my first Forty Creek and it wasn't my last. They also have a BUNCH of variations of it now.

I'm a bourbon guy and love Blanton's (most any Sazerac product actually). If you can find an Elmer T. Lee give it a go.

13-Jul-23
SteveB, I do like my 40 Creek. Best Canadian Whisky IMO. Most hunters head home with a bottle and make sure they have one in their cabinet at home after a trip to Skinner Creek.

13-Jul-23

gobble50's embedded Photo
gobble50's embedded Photo
Canadian Hunter - been sipping it for years. It’s not Woodford, Uncle Nearest, or Four Roses but it’s mighty good. Can’t get it here in Iowa, so I usually get some when I’m in Illinois.

• Sitka Gear