Cuts 30-Nov-21
29-Oct-21

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
Second only to bowhunting, I love fur trapping. Fur prices have been depressed for quite some time but I tan all of my fur and hand sew it into mittens and hats. I've found that people really like the story behind their fur garment and I stay busy fur crafting all winter. The season always kicks off with spring beaver. As soon as the rivers are free of ice I get sets out. Cold water, mud and cold weather are all par for the course. In addition to the pelts and tails, I keep all the meat and make it into summer sausage. Its fantastic!

29-Oct-21

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
This one weighed just over 30 pounds on the scale
jmiller's embedded Photo
This one weighed just over 30 pounds on the scale
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
Late October I start getting raccoon sets out. Raccoon make wonderful garments and the hind quarters are good on the table as well. The dry year we experienced have had them concentrated on the rivers and creeks. In addition to coon, I target skunk as well. We are off to a good start!

29-Oct-21
LOVE it!

29-Oct-21
I have heard of eating beaver but beaver summer sausage not sure about that. But I'd try it at least once. Wish we could trap here. Cool to not only trap but also turn into garments.

29-Oct-21
Very cool! You mention "besides the pelts and tails"...what do you do with a beaver tail?

29-Oct-21
Smarba I send them to a tannery and then make wallets of them. The small ones are used for bait

29-Oct-21

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Fur not high but the castor sure is. Tan all my hides myself that I don't sell. Only trapped beaver so far sense last season probably wait till around Thanksgiving to put out my coon, cat, and coyote sets. Goodluck this season!

29-Oct-21
That is really cool you get the kids into it. Ran my own trapline when i was 12 to 17, remember it like it was yesterday. I think the skunk pelts are underrated, but then skunks do stink :)

29-Oct-21
Very nice guys. Good luck to all trappers.

29-Oct-21
Good stuff, Jeff. Brings back a lot of great memories of my youth! 30 lb coon is a monster!

Great to see your kids involved, as well!

29-Oct-21
That’s awesome Jeff! My hats off to you, I know it’s a lot of work. And way to get the family involved! Your teaching them great values.

29-Oct-21
Nice! Friend of mine cooked beaver and said it was really good.

30-Oct-21
Beaver is awesome table fair, muskrat, coon, bobcat all delicious. Never let any go to waste. Now if we could get people to eat it and wear more fur we could maybe get control of populations again.

30-Oct-21
trapped during the heyday of fur prices (late 70s-80s)put myself thru trade school and bought a new truck with the money i made trapping,i stil have 2dz of those money makers in my attic #1 1/2 victor long springs with teeth and helper springs caught a lot of coons,mink,and muskrats with those traps,thanks for the memories love seeing these threads,btw 5 yrs away from retiring from that trade i went to school for in 81

30-Oct-21
Beaver hams that are thin sliced, seasoned, and smoked will make some top shelf jerky.

30-Oct-21
Nice! Friend of mine cooked beaver and said it was really good.

30-Oct-21

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
Always a good day when you get a double!

30-Oct-21
How do you dispatch the skunks?

30-Oct-21
Some are caught in body grips so they are dispatched quickly. Others I use a 22 handgun. A bath in peroxide, baking soda and dish soap neutralizes the odor

30-Oct-21
By my place in northern MI.....we have skunks with two strips down the back and some with a single large, solid, pearl colored stripe. I've send blond ones too. Don't know why the two types??

30-Oct-21
Inject them with 10cc's Acetone and they fall right over in seconds. I use a barkers skunk eliminator on a paint pole. No spray at all. Can then harvest the essence and sell it all. Remember skunks only want to spray as a last resort, takes two weeks for them to reload.

30-Oct-21
Screwball……I had a buddy back in the late 70s, that used to skin skunks on the weekend for Ludvick Sheda, a big fur buyer in Iowa at that time. Sheda paid him a dollar apiece, plus he got to keep the essence from the carcasses as well. He would skin over 1,000 skunks on a weekend and made roughly another $800-$1,200 selling the essence as well. He stunk to high heaven, but made some dang good money for a month or so.

30-Oct-21
Jeff, how do you tan the beaver. I caught over 40 last year, saved the castor and tails and worked some of the pelts. Fleshing a big blanket beaver is a chore. I also picked up a couple of large otter, beautiful fur and would love to tan them.

30-Oct-21
Double post

31-Oct-21
I sold quite a bit of fur to Ludy, t-roy! Bought quite a bit of trapping equipment through him, too. He was a real character! I mostly sold to Raphael Pisarik who bought for Sheda.

I still have some of my receipts from back in the day around here somewhere. Miss those days and the smell of those fur houses!

31-Oct-21
AccMan beaver and badger are the only pelts I send off to a tannery to be done. I use Sleepy Creek Tannery out of Iowa. He does a fantastic job. I tried it once myself and I cant break them. Canines, muskrats, skunks, mink and raccoon I tan myself using TruBond 1000B.

31-Oct-21
Crazy morning here in Tennessee had a big bear in one of my canine extremes luckily he pulled out of it.Tore up some area and not hard to track I’m sure he wasn’t happy had a camera over the trap good luck Lewis

31-Oct-21

lewis's embedded Photo
lewis's embedded Photo

31-Oct-21
Nice to see the success and the little ones in the pictures. Ran a trap line many fifty some years ago, it supported my archery addiction. Thanks for the memories!

31-Oct-21
Can you freeze a hide, thaw it out and then tan it with the 1000B? Thanks

31-Oct-21
Yep! There are a few steps though from pickling to neutralizing and then tanning.

31-Oct-21
That one coon is huge. Strong work ! Thanks for posting . Hunt

31-Oct-21
Screwball - "10cc's Acetone and they fall right over in seconds."... You talking about plain ole acetone you get from the hardware store? If so, wow, hadn't realized it was that deadly... Thanks...

01-Nov-21
Yes it is, buy it by the gallon, Inject it right into the lung. Talk to the skunk in high pitch soothing voice if possible, let them sniff the surynge, place net to ribs they will lean right into it. 10-12 cc's. Here is an example. It really works. Do not use paint thinner it does not work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtHKKXdiQag

01-Nov-21
Also be sure you do not poke yourself with the surynge, I did this and went through a pretty good rabies scare, but it tested negative. Skunks are a leading carrier of rabies so always be careful. Rubber gloves and leather gloves.

01-Nov-21

01-Nov-21
Kinda brutal to leave em in a live trap for weeks to starve to death… I’m all for trapping but that seems like it’s against what most trappers would ever consider…

01-Nov-21
I will not comment on moben post but I’ll never understand that good luck all Lewis

01-Nov-21
Holy crap! Go kill that thing. If it's in a place you can't shoot a gun. Get a blanket and hold up I front of you and walk SLOWLY up to it. Then just gently lay blanket over it, tucking it under the trap and then pick it all up, put it in the back of truck and drive to some place you can take care of it.

01-Nov-21
MoBen, they can last a long time, almost hibernate. That one needs to be put down. ASAP, If you have water near by as stated sheet, blanket, then set it in and drown it.

01-Nov-21
That's truly sad leaving ANY animal in cage or trap to starve to death.... Where's the compassion...8^(((

Had only shot skunks in the head and they all sprayed, but after reading this thread and checking one dude on youtude said if you shoot them in the heart or/and lungs they rarely spray...

01-Nov-21
"Remember skunks only want to spray as a last resort, takes two weeks for them to reload."

Not in my neck of the woods, it's the first thing they do and can reload faster than democrats can find missing ballots on election night...

02-Nov-21
If you startle or spoke them, approach fast, move fast etc. they will spray. If they are stationary and they are doing their happy dance with the feet backoff, quickly and quietly. If they do not fully discharge they would have more or are partially full, but to fully recharge when empty. Again spraying is there only defense they do not want to unless they feel they have no choice.

02-Nov-21
Thank you for your replys. I have trapped hundreds of coons, possums and muscrats over the years on my farm but this is the first skunk. Normally I shoot them quickly . This one sits outside a bunkhouse full of 8 paying deer hunters who would not appreciate a dose of skunk spray. While I understand shooting the animal is the humane thing to do I cant take the slightest chance of discharge till those hunters leave.Sorry if I offended you sensitivitys

02-Nov-21
Before you reset the live trap. Tie a 30ft long rope to trap so if you catch another you can just drag it off a long ways and then dispatch it. They won't spray if your 20-30ft away. I always tie a rope if I set one under or around a house or out building

02-Nov-21
I'm not offended MOBEN but your willingness to watch an animal starve to death and asking us how long it should take really shows your lack of respect as a hunter. Call your local C.O. and ask him how long it should take. Maybe he'll stop by.

02-Nov-21
I will not comment on moben post but I’ll never understand that good luck all Lewis

02-Nov-21
Sorry Moben-but if your hunters don't understand that something is wrong. Watching any animal starve to death at your own hands is cruel.

04-Nov-21
Moben, so you have a skunk in a live trap, sitting outside a bunkhouse full of paying hunters for 2 weeks, and have done nothIng with it? I believe if I was a paying hunter I would be raising hell with you for NOT removing it in one way or another!

04-Nov-21
There’s a “shortages” thread on here up top and a lot of people commented there was a “shortage” of common sense going around lately. Case and point.

06-Nov-21

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
In between trapping and bowhunting I've started sewing. This pair of ladies sized mittens are made from beaver fur and brain tanned smoked buckskin for the palms.

08-Nov-21
Very cool thread. Thanks for sharing with us

09-Nov-21

jmiller's embedded Photo
Red Coyote bomber hat
jmiller's embedded Photo
Red Coyote bomber hat
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
It's such a shame that fur is not valued more. It's the most environmentally friendly cold weather clothing on Earth!

09-Nov-21
I'm lucky to live in North Dakota, where hunting and trapping valued. I was even able to talk about it on our local NPR station earlier this year! https://news.prairiepublic.org/podcast/main-street/2021-08-10/short-stories-from-klasberg-nd-resrvation-dogs-co-creator-sterlin-harjo

09-Nov-21

No Mercy's embedded Photo
No Mercy's embedded Photo
Can't wait to get the hat you are making out of this one for my son Jeff!

21-Nov-21
ttt

22-Nov-21

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
Nothing beats real fur for hats and mittens. It's crazy how warm it is!

22-Nov-21
Ya it is I have a beaver trooper hat, can't wear unless its single digits!

25-Nov-21

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
Starting up the line again after deer season. Our fisher season only runs 7 days, was excited to see this big male in a cubby set this morning.

25-Nov-21
Man that’s a nice Fisher

25-Nov-21
Wow that’s awesome! Happy Thanksgiving Jeff and family!

25-Nov-21
Nice catch jmiller. A lot of work goes into what your doing. Finished products look great!

25-Nov-21
Going after my7 Fisher next week after rifle season here in WI.

25-Nov-21
We don't have Fisher in Ohio that I'm aware of but that looks like a biggun! Good day on the line!

26-Nov-21

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
I was also fortunate enough to get a North Dakota Fisher. Large male also.

26-Nov-21

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo

26-Nov-21
Fishers are very elusive and intelligent. A very unique predator. Congrats.

26-Nov-21
Nice work!!

30-Nov-21

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
I started a short coyote line on Saturday. I've caught fox in the past but never a coyote, and I'm as green as grass with canine trapping. I have to admit I was quite surprised when found this guy caught securely this morning.

30-Nov-21
Way to go Jeff I wish I had spare time to do that. My neighbor is Gary Jepson, he catches a lot of coyotes and bobcat. You might check out his work... pretty interesting guy.

30-Nov-21
Congrats, Coyotes are no pushovers

30-Nov-21
Those Fishers are way cool!

30-Nov-21
Congratulations. You’ll be addicted now. They are a lot of fun!

30-Nov-21
Looks like you do great work!

• Sitka Gear