lewis 01-Nov-21
timex 02-Nov-21
Jeff Durnell 04-Nov-21
IdyllwildArcher 04-Nov-21
IdyllwildArcher 04-Nov-21
Joe Holden 09-Nov-21
lewis 09-Nov-21
01-Nov-21
Might make some jerky this year never done it before so I am curious and if I decide to do it should I smoke it or just dehydrate it Thanks Lewis

01-Nov-21
I dehydrate mine. My recipe off hand is something like a bottle of soy

Bottle of worchestshire

A little liquid smoke not sure hoy much. A couple ounces?

Marinate for 24 hours, add pepper and red pepper flakes after I fill a rack with marinated meat.

Man I might have to make some now, my mouth is watering.

01-Nov-21
2 lbs meat

1 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup worcestershire

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 tsp onion pwder

tsp red pepper flakes

2 tbsp black pepper

1 cup beef stock

garlic powder ( a bunch) original recipe said 4 garlic cloves but I prefer powder so as not to have chunks.

Marinade for 4-8 hours. I like it smoked for sure!

01-Nov-21
Thanks all great sounding recipes Lewis

02-Nov-21
This is actually a smoked tuna recipe that I use for venison jerky the only difference is for fish I use kosher salt & venison I use Mortons tender quick curing salt. Brine = 1/3 cup tender quick to 2 cups water. I usually use 2 of the flat roasts from a hind quarter sliced 1/4 to 3/8 across the grain. Brine meat in fridge for 24 hours rinse & drain thoroughly. Then add 1 cup.dark brown sugar & 3 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper. I prefer to let this sit in fridge another 24 hours but probably not necessary. Then smoke. I prefer maskeet and in my smoker 150 to 175 for around 3 hours but varies depending on weather conditions. Sometimes in cooking simple is better !!!!! Iv tried lots of different recipes with all the usual soy Worcester shire & various dry ingredients or some of the store bought jerky blends. And everyone I know says the plain old salt, sugar, pepper, smoke, is the best they've ever had. Give it a try & don't over cook the meat

04-Nov-21
I made jerky, hot stick and bologna for the last three days. I used to make my own recipes but it never quite got where a wanted it to be, so I finally conceded and went to a spice store a few minutes away. In their inventory they have prepackaged kits for such things. I've been using them, tweaking them to my preferences, and now I doubt 'my' jerky could get any better.

I have big dehydrators that I mostly use for mushrooms, but now make all these meats in my smokers.

Con Yeager is where I get the stuff. You can order it on their site and they'll send it to you. Lots of recipe and processing help there too. Their Hillbilly Jerky and Mesquite jerky is good, especially with some garlic powder and dried, crushed jalapeno added.

04-Nov-21
This stuff in the link makes great jerky in the dehydrator. Dale's

Just put your meat in a zip lock with enough Dale's to cover the meat - not swimming in it. Then put it in the dehydrator and sprinkle black pepper or crushed red peppers on it and dehydrate. Check it every couple hours and turn it off while it's still just a little meaty - not dried 100%.

Great jerky and very easy.

04-Nov-21

IdyllwildArcher's Link
Let's try this again.

You can order this stuff on Amazon.

09-Nov-21
I've had best luck with the Cabela's brand seasonings. Cure and seasoning for 5lbs at a time with a variety of flavors. Generally mix with my Kitchen Aid ==> sit for 3 days ==> dehydrate at 167 for 4 - 4:30 hrs (more spicy things seem like they take longer)

09-Nov-21
Great ideas all airy you can also use Dales as a marinade for a loin then butterfly it put in some cream cheese jalapeƱos wrap in bacon and throw it on the grill yum

• Sitka Gear