Hunts_with_stick 05-Nov-21
JL 05-Nov-21
Hunts_with_stick 06-Nov-21
Hunts_with_stick 06-Nov-21
md5252 06-Nov-21
KSflatlander 06-Nov-21
Shuteye 06-Nov-21
02-Nov-21
Hit one tonight. I know I aimed too far forward, up the leg mid body. After the shot, he ran 10 yards stopped for 5-10 seconds then ran off. (I remember him ducking, but I don’t recall the arrow hitting) . Might have heard him fall ( but maybe not), but did run up a hill (by the sounds). Got down, and went to truck. Heading out in the morning. It was too dark to look for arrow or blood. Any thoughts? Shoulder? 20 yard shot. Thanks for your thoughts

02-Nov-21
Do you think you heard it hit him? If so, what did it sound like? Loud crack, hollow thump, etc? I’d suggest at least going out and try to find the arrow, assuming it wasn’t still in him, plus maybe going in a little ways and see if you can find any blood, and let that dictate what your next option is.

02-Nov-21
With the info you have provided I would be out looking for arrow and blood after about an hour. I ain't waiting till morning unless I know I made a bad shot.

02-Nov-21
If you hit him good he will be dead where you may have heard him drop. I would go that far then reassess if no dead buck. Not that it matters but was he a good one? Good luck!

02-Nov-21
Doesn't sound like bad news or a reason to fret. Go back out there, very quietly, look for your arrow, blood sign, scuffed up tracks at the impact site and make the next best decision based on the evidence. Good luck.

02-Nov-21
Agree, you gotta see what the arrow/blood at and just past impact spot is. In my opinion, having not been there when it went down, of course

02-Nov-21
Thanks! Did not hear a loud crack. I was just thrown off by the pause and then run off. I’ll keep you updated

02-Nov-21
Yup, if you hit him mid body up the leg he’s toast. Question is where you hit him but the arrow is always one of your largest sources of info.

02-Nov-21
I’m with Scrappy !

02-Nov-21
Definitely investigate further. Wouldn’t want coyotes to find him for you.

02-Nov-21
Hope you get him, there isn't an animal I’ve hunted that is harder to kill and recover than a WT.

2nd place isn’t even close! Hope you get him.

PS tough one as you have no clue where you hit him. Last thing you want is to bump him. Looking for arrow late now after dark is going to cause a disturbance. Late shot?

02-Nov-21
If you are using a sharp cut on contact head that would explain the stopping, they don't know they are hit and will look back to identify the noise. Sometimes fall over right there or walk of a little then tip over.

02-Nov-21
IMO you did the right thing….When in doubt back out.

02-Nov-21
I shot a doe this evening and had to aim farther forward than I normally do due to a tree and I hit her right through the shoulder.

I didn't find blood until about 20 yards and then it was pretty sparse but I ended up finding her dead in the bottom of a ravine approximately 100 yards from where I shot her.

It was interesting - hardly any blood on my arrow and I figured the muscle and fat around the shoulders cleaned it off as it came out.

02-Nov-21
I don’t think you hit him.

02-Nov-21
I would look for arrow and some sign for sure unless I just knew it was a gut hit. Always carry a bright flashlight for this purpose.

Aiming straight up leg is not too far forward. It’s flat out deadly.

If you hit him you should have heard a hit. A crack can be dead on bone but is not always bad. A shoulder blade hit will often be fine and sound more like a crunch. Assuming you don’t hit that thick ridge in the blade.

Gut almost sounds like a hollow thump.

I’d be looking for him personally. Unless I had solid evidence that it was a bad hit

03-Nov-21
Thanks! Did not hear a loud crack. I was just thrown off by the pause and then run off. I’ll keep you updated

03-Nov-21
Good luck this morning!

03-Nov-21
I would think if you hit straight up the leg he’s not gonna stop. I’m saying it was a miss. Sometimes with a rib cage hit and a sharp COC head they’ll stop, but not with the shot you are describing. Hope I’m wrong.

03-Nov-21
He would not of stopped if you hit him in the shoulder. Sounds like mid body back or a miss

03-Nov-21

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
If it hit where you think you hit l, he should be dead. depending on the angle of entry if you were high in a tree it’s easier to hit the shoulder.

03-Nov-21
Good luck this morning. I hope you find him. Keep us posted.

Matt

03-Nov-21
Yep good luck. Hope you get him. Not enough info for me to venture a guess on what happened but you did right by backing out.

What is your arrow/broadhead/poundage set up?

03-Nov-21
“Yup, if you hit him mid body up the leg he’s toast. “

“Aiming straight up leg is not too far forward. It’s flat out deadly.”

Yep and good news is the way he acted there is a good chance he is either dead or you missed him. Those shoulders let your ears know it pretty quick. I’ve seen them do that with shots too far BACK but not forward unless they topple soon after. Good luck!

03-Nov-21
Why has backing out became so popular. He doesn’t even know if he hit the deer. Which I’m guessing by a large margin that he didn’t based on what he said.

Anyways, when did it become cool or the norm to climb out, walk out, and leave the unknown for the next day? I hear that advice all the time. Regardless of temperature, predator problems, etc…. Just back out without even verifying the animal is hit.

I couldn’t do it nor, should anyone else. Finding the arrow or sign of what happened is paramount. It proceeds the back out till morning idea until you verify what you are facing. Then decide the proper action.

There has been a lot of food wasted with that philosophy.

03-Nov-21
If unsure I sneak up to the shot location. Hopefully to find an arrow or spore. If still unsure, it’s always best to back out.

03-Nov-21
Regardless of whether I know if or where I hit a critter, I wait a bit then look for the arrow. Depending on what evidence the arrow provides, then I decide to attempt recovery or back out and give it some time. Lighted nocks are your friend in this situation.

03-Nov-21
Sorry, good luck.

03-Nov-21
Hope you find the deer. I would have had a cup of coffee and then started looking. In my area there wouldn't be much deer left by morning.

03-Nov-21
I have had 2 deer hit in the sweet spot that just flinched and looked around. Both just walked off and I watched them tip over. I think it was just lucky not to hit a rib bone in and out and the deer did not feel much.

03-Nov-21
With the info you provided I’d definitely say it’s a clean miss. No doubt about it. He’ll be back, no worries.

03-Nov-21
I too would look for my arrow and any sign near the area where he stood when you shot. Make your decision to move forward or back out from there. Good Luck!!

03-Nov-21
I believe you wait 30 minutes after the shot then get down and inspect arrow, and where deer was standing. Then gather information and proceed with bloodtrail or backout if gut shot. Of course if you see him tip over why wait go put your hands on deer.

03-Nov-21
I shot my buck this year in the same spot. It was devistating but he did make it much further than anything I have ever hit in that spot before. If you did hit there at 20 yards you should have got both lungs and he is certainly down.

03-Nov-21
Any updates?

03-Nov-21
No luck. Was out there from sun up to 3pm. Found blood, followed for several hundred yards 300+, then petered out. Did a grid search that turned up zero as well. There was no sign that he stopped either. I didn’t find the arrow. I never would have found the blood trail at night, so I’m glad I waited. Disappointed to say the least. Thanks for all the advice and pep. It’s been quite awhile since I lost a deer.

03-Nov-21
Well, that sucks.

Out of curiosity, what type broad head are you using.

Matt

03-Nov-21
Sounds like you made a good effort, deer probably survived.

03-Nov-21
Cut on contact. Can’t remember the name, I bought a bunch 10-15 years ago and bought replacement blades. Still using them. Yeah, I’m exhausted. I gave it my best. I rushed the shot, I hit were I aimed, I didn’t take my time. My last few deer kills I have seen the deer fall within 20-30 yard from where I hit them. This one I just kept worrying he was going to bolt (even though he had no clue I was there). He was focused on my decoy, I was worried he was going to see it was a fake.

Does anyone have a mantra they tell themselves while they are aiming?

03-Nov-21
Does anyone have a mantra they tell themselves while they are aiming?

Not too high, not too low.

03-Nov-21
Contact your local blood trail dog association. A good trained dog will find it

03-Nov-21
Yup, 2Wild Bill. Pick a spot, take your time!

04-Nov-21
My old 'mantra' was PUFF - Push, Focus, Follow-up. My current shot process is a bit wordier but not much better.

04-Nov-21
How do you know you hit him where you aimed? You didn’t know that the night before. Now, you know it? How?

I’m not being a wise guy but, you didn’t hit the deer in the shoulder where you said you did. I’ve killed a tractor trailer load of whitetail deer and never have I not heard the arrow hit the deer in the shoulder. Never. It’s not possible. Is it?

I don’t know. I just find the whole story unbelievable. From not losing a deer in a long time after the inexperienced shot sequence replay, To not even looking for the arrow after the shot. It makes no sense. Nothing you’ve wrote makes any sense.

But, I’m all for learning. Where did you hit him? If you hit him where you aimed, he’d be dead. Right? How many deer have you aimed there on and found? A lung hit deer doesn’t run 300 yards and just quit bleeding. See what I’m saying. This doesn’t add up.

I’m not being a wise guy. I know it’s hard to remember things I the heat of the moment. However, that’s not the story you are telling. So, where did you hit him and why didn’t he die? I’m just confused.

04-Nov-21
WV- If you have to repeat over and over that you're not being a wise guy.....you're going to come off as a wise guy weather you mean it or not. Obviously he didn't want to lose the deer or hit it where he did. He made the best choice he could given what he knew and than reached out for help. I've been there before. Things happen after the arrow leaves the string. Give the guy a break, sucks to lose an animal.

04-Nov-21
"Does anyone have a mantra they tell themselves while they are aiming"?

I'm pretty focused on the spot...but I say the word "smooth" in my head, before the release and follow through. That's just me.

04-Nov-21
“Follow through, follow through.” I have this deal with shooting that often times with a gun or bow I want to drop my bow arm or lift my head to watch the impact. My mantra is bear down and follow through.

04-Nov-21
The not so "wise guy" also predicted the shot was a clean miss, twice. Now he's calling the whole unfortunate situation "unbelievable".

OP, don't let these pecker-heads get you down. If they claim they've never lost an animal to a bad hit, they are either lying, or they haven't hunted much.

Matt

04-Nov-21
original poster, I feel your pain. good follow up. 2WildBill, my mantra "achor, pick a spot, follow through"

04-Nov-21
SMH.

Hey Matt, you calling someone a peckerhead is hilarious. Hopefully one day we can discuss that in person. It won’t take long either.

SBH, Unfortunately I know plenty about losing a deer. Or, missing a deer, or having the unexplained happen. Which is why I’m asking him those questions. I am trying to help.

Just help doesn’t always come with the “atta boy” mentality. Helping in this case isn’t a Pat on the back. I don’t figure he needs that. But, if that’s what you feel is good medicine, carry on.

OP, read my posts with my words. Not the words of another. I’m trying to cut the grief or get you motivated to keep looking. Not busting on you or suggesting you failed. It happens. And, it’s going to happen again. Especially if we don’t learn from the potential mistakes we make. I can hopefully learn something here too.

That’s my intent. Not what others have suggested. Typed words have no emotion.

04-Nov-21
WV, not sure what your problem is, but you are negative. I said I hit to far forward, which is where I aimed. Read my first post. You are probably the guy who has a hit list, names their deer, and hopes to have their own tv show. I’ve killed a “tractor trailer” load of deer too, plus elk, mule deer and big horn sheep. No sure who died and made you the worlds best author on deer, but I feel bad for you, from your first post you were negative. I’ll pray you my brother.

05-Nov-21
I’m not any of those guys. I was just the guy who was living vicariously through your post. Rooting hard that it worked out for you. I’ve already explained it. I wasn’t being negative.

Don’t feel bad for me. I’m so blessed i can’t even begin to tell you all of it. And, By all means, pray for me.

05-Nov-21
Sounds like you hit him in the shoulder to me. Get back out there and concentrate on making a better shot next time. It happens...........

05-Nov-21
Dang, really sorry you weren't able to recover him, but thanks for coming back to give everyone the update!

I think the confusion is that you said you aimed too far forward...up the leg mid body. But that isn't too far forward, that's perfect, and later say you hit where you aimed, therefore implying you hit up the leg mid body. But if that were the case, the deer would be dead for sure. Or at least that is how I read it, so that is where my confusion would be. Also, if you did in fact hit there, or shoulder as some people have guessed, you certainly would have heard the hit. But you heard nothing.

If you heard nothing, you hit no bone at all. So you are most likely outside of the rib cage. I am guessing, if you think there's a chance he ducked, that you hit him high above the spine and barely grazed him. Or grazed the front of the neck area. But somewhere outside of bone. Good news, with thinking you hit more forward than back, is no sound and no blood, deer is 99% gonna be OK. No sound and guts it would be dead, but no sound and forward is muscle. And lack of blood means not even that bad of a muscle hit.

Happens!

05-Nov-21
Yes, great post.

05-Nov-21
When I come to full draw I take a nice deep breath, exhale... and picture President Trump in the Oval office... release.

05-Nov-21
Always one in the crowd. Sorry about the bad hit. It probably will be fine but look on his back trail too, he may have circled back from where he came, his safe area.

05-Nov-21
Thanks again everyone, the positive vibes were needed. I felt awful about what happened, hoping he is still alive. Good luck to everyone. I see we was negative on the hit help #2 thread too. Sad.

05-Nov-21
""Does anyone have a mantra they tell themselves while they are aiming?""

A - F - R................Aim, Focus, Release (repeat everytime you draw back!)

Aim - pick a spot

Focus - tune out everything and focus on the spot you're aiming at. Don't look at horns, other deer, or anything else. This is the time to get your peep and pins exactly on the spot you're aiming at.

Release - calmly release and follow thru.

I came up with this AFR method about 14 years ago to get rid of the shakes or buck fever. For me....it help tremendously. When you're ready to draw back....start saying to yourself AFR....Aim, Focus, Release all the way thru the shot. It forces you to focus on your mechanics and not the horns. I've done it for so long now it's an automatic habit.

06-Nov-21
I like it.

06-Nov-21
I like it.

06-Nov-21
As far as shot mantras for shot sequences..

In my experience all that talk or acronyms or whatever should all be done well in advance during practice sessions to prepare you for “auto pilot”, not during the moment of truth.

When that time comes you shouldn’t be trying to remember what to think/say to yourself (almost impossible by all psychological accounts). You should be operating in the subconscious part of your mind.

When a deer is approaching all I’m doing is looking ahead for the right opening/opportunity.

If I look back, I can’t even remember the specific details (draw/aim/release, etc) of the shots I took.

Just my 2cents

06-Nov-21
Hunts- thanks for sharing in a difficult time. I’ve been there and can empathize. It’s obvious you are upset and did what you thought best at the time.

I had a clean miss on a trophy mulie about 20 years ago. I was so p#%ed. I got back to the truck and was showing my frustration. My uncle and hunting mentor said, “Enough, it’s called hunting and not killing. If you can’t deal with disappointment and heartbreak then you should quit hunting and take up sewing or something.” Never forgot it.

Hang in there. That deer will likely live. Get back out there and find another one. Best of luck to you.

06-Nov-21
Sorry you didn't get your deer. You did your best. If you bow hunt long enough, you will lose deer, no matter who you are. I have killed over 100 deer with bow and arrow and have lost some but the losses are much fewer now and it has been a while since I didn't recover one. I think Jak Hammers have helped me since they make a huge hole.

• Sitka Gear