painless 02-May-22
SDHNTR(home) 02-May-22
ki-ke 02-May-22
nmwapiti 02-May-22
Quinn @work 02-May-22
ki-ke 02-May-22
Missouribreaks 02-May-22
04-Nov-21
Due to unforeseen circumstances, seems we will be loosing our 5000 acre New Mexico private land elk hunt on a ranch we have hunted the last 12 years. If any one has or knows of a private land lease/hunt available that has quality elk for two seasoned, conscientious DIY hunters please let me know. Thanks.

04-Nov-21
I do not know of any but you might consider buying landowner tags going forward. Not sure what is cheaper. Good luck!

04-Nov-21
Yes< Don, have done that in the past and would be another option again.

04-Nov-21
Come to Colorado and get an Otc tag. See what elk huntings all about!

05-Nov-21
Thanks for the tip Ucs, I've done that for 30 years. I now prefer to hunt elk that haven't been chased by multiple hunters and also prefer to hunt a piece of land that I know that my hunting buddy and I are the only ones on. We had 17 bulls within 150 yards at one time this year, all going nuts. I prefer that kind of excitement now days.

05-Nov-21
That's going to be difficult to match I believe painless. IF you locate something I'd be interested in going in with you.

05-Nov-21
this is what i need to do

i'm 0 for 3 on public grnd two of which were guided..

gets frustrating not seeing much at all

05-Nov-21
What did you pay for your lease, and who did you lose it to, for how much?

Matt

06-Nov-21
Ben, 0 for 3? I was 0 for 1000 something until I began to figure it out. I’m lucky to live in elk country but to me it’s the process that makes it so rewarding when it finally comes together. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

07-Nov-21
My guess, it sold for 20 million. Covid is causing brain damage in the real estate sector.

07-Nov-21
It would be interesting to see what you have paid in the past and are expecting to pay in the near future We just bought 22 hunts inclusive for $5750 in New México for next year. Not a great deal but a good one. Big ranch, good elk

Hope you are successful in your quest. I will let you know if I come across something

12-Nov-21
10,000 acres in central Oregon 14,000,000.

12-Nov-21

19-Apr-22
Since it's been about 6 months, thought I'd bump this.

19-Apr-22
Painless,

I see the bowsite mods erased my post and I believe you contacted me last year? Our lease is full this year. I'll let you know if that changes.

Good luck on your search.

19-Apr-22
Too late for this year but there are certainly public land opportunities where a little sweat will provide you with undisturbed hunting. Not to sound overly sarcastic but having that many bulls that close isn’t elk hunting. Fun I suppose but not nearly as rewarding as real elk hunting. If you are planning on finding something similar you might be changing your name from Painless to Painful.

21-Apr-22
Mule, as I stated earlier, I've done my share of public land hunting. I'm old enough and have the means to hunt the way I want to now. I feel I've earned my share of fun.

21-Apr-22
We need more hunters to hunt private land, that reduces pressure on public property and helps disperse the herds. Any game biologist will agree.

21-Apr-22

cnelk's Link
Ever try Hunters Domain? see link

21-Apr-22
No, I haven't seen this. Thank you, Cnelk.

21-Apr-22
Good luck painless.

21-Apr-22
I love those mountains! I’ll never quit hunting them. I don’t want my hunting to be easy and I don’t need monster bulls or guarantees to have fun. To each his own. Good luck. If I had money to burn and wanted fun I’d spend it in Alaska or the Yukon.

28-Apr-22
Mule, I've got 3 Dall. Don't need any more. Just looking for a decent place to hunt elk without being disturbed by others.

28-Apr-22
Looking for quality instead of quantity ( Neal Young) and that is the what every hunter is looking for with limited pockets.

28-Apr-22
I’d be with you painless if I could afford it. I’m about over the otc style hunts. When hunters outnumber the elk your better off staying at home and finding someone to kick you in the nuts. There’s no reason to buy a $700 tag for that same result.

28-Apr-22
have you thought about a NM landowner tag? Might be an option Monstermulies.com might be a place to look also

28-Apr-22
Thanks Habitat, yes I'm looking into a couple of options. But, would prefer a few thousand acres of private land.

30-Apr-22
You should just buy an Elk game farm in Texas. Sorry I couldn't help myself.

02-May-22
Birdman, to quote Meatloaf, "I'd do anything for love (of hunting), but I won't do that."

02-May-22
Painless, I understand your position. Unfortunately what you had before is going to be very hard to replicate. Add the broken public draw system has driven the price of LO tags to illogical levels. I'm looking myself too. I didn't draw anything good. I don't want to go guided, as I prefer to hunt on my own, and I want a better experience than OTC. I'm willing to spend some money to have a quality experience. Unfortunately though, I'm finding that LO tags are so expensive that I can buy a fully guided hunt in the exact same unit, including the tag, for LESS than I can buy the tag alone from a broker like Hunters Domain. It truly makes no sense.

02-May-22
Holy hell! That site shows an archery LO tag in 13 for $17k and a 16a for $20k!!!! Who smokes that much meth!! It’s a public land elk hunt! Like SD said above, you can have a great quality hunt for that cost……

02-May-22
It's totally insane what NM's reputation has done to tag prices. I was sort of okay with prices 5 or 10 years ago. Well under $10k for good, but less popular units like 36. A little over for places with a reputation like the Gila. Today's prices are totally nuts. I could go to Africa and shoot half a dozen plains species for way less. Or, as mentioned above, go fully guided on a private ranch hunt.

02-May-22
There's a lot of people out there with disposable incomes to where 20k for an elk hunt is nothing.

02-May-22
Holy hell! That site shows an archery LO tag in 13 for $17k and a 16a for $20k!!!! Who smokes that much meth!! It’s a public land elk hunt! Like SD said above, you can have a great quality hunt for that cost……

02-May-22
A hunter has to decide their priorities.

• Sitka Gear