StickFlicker 05-Nov-21
05-Nov-21

darktimber's embedded Photo
A little back story….Drove from Wyoming to Nebraska to start my 7 day hunt on Nov. 1. I have permission to hunt a 100 acre farm of all timber. No stands up, no food plots, no camera’s. Everything is a surprise. Day 1..Arrive, hang and hunt morning, sit in rain, no deer seen. Ok, no big deal. Evening, clears up a little, cool. No deer seen. Hum.. Not the best start!

Day 2..Hang and hunt again, frosty, calm beautiful. Sit until noon, only a doe and 2 fawns spotted. Really high expectations due to perfect weather. Not impressed! Evening, still spectacular weather, no deer seen or heard. Once again very disappointed. I know may be a little early in the rut, but should be seeing more deer. Getting concerned now.

Day 3.. Rattled in 120”ish 8 point from south out of alfalfa field on adjoining property, Yes! Finally a buck! Pass at 25 yards. Worried that may have been a mistake. Only 2 does and a fawn were the other deer seen. Once again great weather morning. Evening, move closer to field edge. Sit for 5 hours, finally rattle at 0545 pm. Nuttin. Standing there glassing the alfalfa field. At 0615 hear a leaf crunch in grass behind me.

Turn my head, crap big deer at 25 yards! Glance at the rack, think is mid 130’s” 10 pt, never look at the rack again.

I grab my bow and try to quickly and stealthfully get swiveled to my right. Stupid safety harness tether too low, and trying to wrap around my neck! I’m freaking out now, can’t draw my bow!

The buck keeps walking. I turn all the way around, and have small shooting window on backside of the tree. I can’t believe the buck has not spotted the sh!? show going on in the tree at 15 yards!

I get turned around, have to squat down below bow hanger to shoot at the now heavily quartered away buck at 25 yards. Finally get the bow drawn, settle the pins at the back of the ribs, and release.

The buck, high mule kicks and heads over the hill tail down, full speed. I wait 30 min, then get down. I find blood away, and broken arrow in 50 yards. Buck travelled 300 yards after the shot.

Took some interesting night time tracking but, found this…

05-Nov-21
Let’s just say I was surprised! I never saw any of the bucks “extra’s”! The night of recovery I thought the extra point was a dagger off the base of the right antler. It is actually a whole separate antler coming out right below the other. Haven’t seen that before. Once in awhile you walk up on a deer and get more that you expected. He also had a messed up eye that I hadn’t seen. Let me clarify, his good eye was towards me in the tree stand, so I didn’t take advantage of his weakness!!

05-Nov-21
Very nice congrats

05-Nov-21
Congrats on a very unique buck. I've seen 3 antlered elk before, but never a deer.

Matt

05-Nov-21
Cool buck, congratulations!

05-Nov-21
Great buck! Thanks for the story!

05-Nov-21
Very cool, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-Nov-21
Awesome deer man!!! I once shot a 3 antlered buck where the 3rd one came out of the centre of it's skull. Crazy what happens sometimes. What a good surprise for you!!! GREAT deer!

05-Nov-21
Awesome buck! Way to get it done under pressure! LOL

05-Nov-21
Very nice congrats!

05-Nov-21
With that jabber sticking out you would think all the buck he's sparred with have a bad eye too! Congrats, really cool deer!

05-Nov-21
Nice buck! Had two screw ups from safety harness. Went to rock climbing belt

05-Nov-21
Very cool buck! Congrats.

About 15 years ago, I had a decent 10 point buck on camera, that had a 3-4” unicorn tine coming out of the center of his skull, right between his other antlers. I had dozens of pics of him. Was hoping I’d see him during season, but not close enough to tempt me to shoot him. He had tons of potential. Never saw him during the season, and he never showed up on camera again, but a friend ended up killing him the following year, about a mile away. He blew up into a mainframe 13 point typical, with the unicorn point being about 6” long, plus he had a droptine coming off his right main beam!

05-Nov-21
Congrats! Really cool buck! I shot a huge third beam buck 10 years ago. He only grew that the 4th year we knew about him (figured he was 8) That's why whitetail are so cool

05-Nov-21
I shot a buck 10 plus years ago that had a small 1 inch antler growing out about an inch in front of his right base. Congrats on your buck!!!

05-Nov-21
That's quite a trophy!

• Sitka Gear