Beav 15-Nov-21
05-Nov-21

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Heading to the woods… Lana, Tater tot and myself, for 9 days of deer and hogs. Hope you’ll follow along.

We are pack to the gills and ready to roll! Stay tuned for daily updates, pics of TT and treestand selfies. :) Maybe we will kill something too. This ain’t no CT live hunt… :)

05-Nov-21
One of my favorite thread of the year!

05-Nov-21
Alright!! We could all use some fun! Good luck Team Tater.

05-Nov-21
Good luck Rick and Lana. At least Aaron got a little one out of the gene pool for ya!

05-Nov-21
Been waiting on this one!!! Good luck!

05-Nov-21
Have fun and be safe you two! Er I mean three ;?)

05-Nov-21
This is gonna be good!

05-Nov-21
Wrong direction, but seemed appropriate.. ;-)

Good luck!!

Matt

05-Nov-21
This is always a good hunt.

05-Nov-21
Good luck. Keep an eye on your stuff as times are getting harder, the thieves might be getting bolder.

05-Nov-21
Been waiting on this one. Looking forward to it.

05-Nov-21
Go Tater! Show em how it's done!

05-Nov-21
Just about to camp. Trees are turning, bucks are on the move and couldn’t be more prime.

Looks like South winds to start off the first sit on Saturday morning. We set up better for north winds, but we made a lot of different moves back in the spring to accommodate south winds.

As eluded to, Aaron Johnson (Native Okie), had some success here midweek, and cashed in on his biggest whitetail. I was so stoked for him! I’ll let him chime in and tell his story. Let’s just say he earned it! Proud for him would be an understatement.

05-Nov-21

Drive down…

05-Nov-21

Camp, TT and home for a bit…

05-Nov-21
So there I was, over this bait pile…..just kidding. I’ll share my story this evening fellas. Look forward to it and the real killers are in camp tonight….

05-Nov-21
Roughing it I see. That’s my idea of roughing it anymore, makes the old man feel better about rolling out at 5:00 am. Good luck y’all !

05-Nov-21
Didn’t you mention something about tater tot having a run in with a grinner and having a sore neck, on another thread, Rick? If so, looks like she’s healing nicely!

Good luck and following!……

05-Nov-21
T-Roy… she got in a fight with a possum about two weeks ago in our backyard. She definitely jacked up her neck for a bit. She’s on the mend and getting around much better. We still have to throttle her a bit. She wants to chase every damn armadillo, possum, and squirrel that comes along. She’s a nut. Damn dog.

05-Nov-21
Following along, looks like fun. Paul

05-Nov-21
Tater is in charge of camp security. She’s just doing her self appointed job. Good luck hunting.

05-Nov-21

Native Okie's embedded Photo
My 8 year old Emerson
My 8 year old Emerson
Since I have to miss this week due to work obligations yes, I know :^( I had to make something work to get some time in. I had planned to hunt some Halloween weekend and most of this week, the 1st through the 4th. As some of you know, I have two young daughters and Halloween means trick or treating. One thing that I have learned since being a father is that I have to be very equitable with time. The older I get the more I realize time is our greatest asset and I realize that I have more hunting seasons ahead than I do trick or treating with these two.

05-Nov-21
So after a night of trick or treating, I head down “South Bound” to our area. Cold front coming with some light rain. Mix that in with some pre-rut bucks and we are bound for a good time! If I don’t get it done this week, I’ll be driving after a trip to Dallas next week to hunt Thursday thru Sunday.

05-Nov-21
On Sunday night, I converse with Rick and Lana about what stands to hit as they were headed home from hunting. I opt to hunt one of the “hot spots” where Lana has slain some bucks in the past. It was slow for the most part, very fickle winds until late afternoon when the front finally hit. It cooled down quite a bit and the forecast was more overcast the next two days.

05-Nov-21
Good luck!

05-Nov-21
Monday night I decided I was going to go into an area with N winds that Rick and I had setup during the off-season last winter. One thing I really like about the whole cycle of whitetail hunting is the preparation. We have really started to do a great job of not procrastinating getting done what we need to do prior to the next season. Rick hunted this area during the rut and I did late season. Rick knows the area so well it helps the group a ton with the years he’s had there. That said, our area is hard to hunt, deer are not pattern-able at all. We knew it was going to be a gem if we set it up right due to the cover and acorn availability. It’s an area we know hold a lot of bucks especially when they push does into deep cover. Two N-NW stand and one N-NE set. I had N-NE winds and I was ready to give it a whirl.

05-Nov-21

05-Nov-21

I get up early and make way way to the stand Tuesday. It’s a bit of a haul to get to this spot, across a creek and you have to walk a pretty narrow trail we cut to get in to the area undetected. I eased in and settle in seeing my first deer at 1030AM.

05-Nov-21
I ended up seeing a decent 3 year old and a smaller buck including several Does. I ended up getting down for an hour and a half because our neighbor who was giving us some access across his place called me to meet him. I hated to get down but needed to do so. My intent was to set all day which I love to do when the action is rocking. I returned shortly before 2pm and settle in. 15 minutes later a few does feed out to my East and then I hear a “crack” to the west and there is a beautiful 9 or 10 pt, wide with decent tine length. I reach to grab my bow and he sees the does and proceeds to trot through grunting right in the middle of them, I can’t stop him with grunts. He never returns to a good lane and feeds along for another 20 minutes before disappearing. I seen at least 20 different deer in this area at the conclusion of the day. Same winds tomorrow but with more rain in the forecast early in the AM.

05-Nov-21

As he lays shortly after the shot. I text this picture to Rick and Lana.
As he lays shortly after the shot. I text this picture to Rick and Lana.
I wake up at 530 am to a heavier rain, hit snooze and sleep for another 45 minutes. Up and the rain is starting to taper off but still steady. I sit that morning in a different spot decide to check a non-cellular camera we had for activity and head back up to camp. Debating on what to do I opt to head back to where I sit Tuesday. I just had a good feeling about that potential in there and well, I have the wind a day and two sits left before I have to leave. I headed in a bit after 1PM and get settled in.

I see a few does feeding after a while and a small buck gets behind me downwind about 3:15, I watch him curious if we winds me and he does not. Good sign to how we have the set located because it’s a bit tricky in this spot from a stand location perspective and actually Rick and I had discussed that the day before.

I’m texting my better half about some upcoming plans and stopping to scan each way. I look up to my west and see a good buck about 60 Yds away on a steady walk headed my way. Immediately I grab my bow quickly mentally prepare myself, he’s coming fast. I look for my draw cover and shift into kill mode. He walks in about 20 yds away and draw my bow as he’s behind a tree, anchored in he takes a few more steps and as I get ready to stop him he does it himself and I’m buried in my spot and pull through clean. We all know the sound of a 15 yd double lung and it was undeniable. He jumps takes three leaps and starts the death walk. Stops two loud breaths and wiggly legs, falls over and loudly breaths out his last two breaths.

Just as envisioned, a big buck down wind of an area full of does feeding scent checking the area off the prominent trail.

05-Nov-21

As he lays.
As he lays.
I call Rick from the stand and he’s pumped! Of course as you all know he lives and breathes bowhunting so he’s super excited. My good friends Midwest and cnelk who you all know, we text daily about anything and everything so I let them know what’s going on as I’ve been keeping them updated and they are excited as well! These three guys are GREAT people and better friends. I’ve learned a lot from the three of them over the years.

06-Nov-21

Happy Bowhunter
Happy Bowhunter

06-Nov-21

As I finish taking my photos and start to prepare to get the deer drug out of the area, I hear a loud rubbing behind me to the East. I scan and see a huge blonde wild hog rubbing a tree. I contemplate whether I should or not after all I have a haul to get this deer to an accessible area. I do the stupid thing and grab my bow and start my stalk! He’s rubbing the tree and has no idea I’m coming up on him. Long story short I clip a limb first shot hit him back then slip in for another shot and buried a Slick Trick in his chest. After a short tracking job I have my work cut out for me solo getting these two out of the hunt area.

06-Nov-21

Made it to the deer cart. My Dad made this cart in the 90’s and it’s hauled a lot of deer and even an elk over the years. It’s over engineered and heavy as hell, typical build from my old man.
Made it to the deer cart. My Dad made this cart in the 90’s and it’s hauled a lot of deer and even an elk over the years. It’s over engineered and heavy as hell, typical build from my old man.
It ended up being a late night getting both animals out of the area solo. Getting that buck across the steep creek banks was quite a chore and a quick reminder that I’m almost 40 yes old now and I don’t recover like I when I was 30. I was whooped but had the deer quartered and hanging by the end of the night.

06-Nov-21

My camp for the season. Trusty old Kodiak canvas tent. Love it for a Made in China POS @midwest LOL!
My camp for the season. Trusty old Kodiak canvas tent. Love it for a Made in China POS @midwest LOL!

06-Nov-21
That’s my part of the story before I head down at the end of next week to join Rick and Lana. I can’t wait for them to get some sits in and will be living vicariously through them this week! Good luck guys!

06-Nov-21
Congrats Aaron! And good luck Rick and the gang

06-Nov-21
That was a pretty cool phone call from the stand Aaron! It was hard for me to get any work done after that. Congratulations once more, you deserved it!

As I am typing this, it’s 5:40 am and Lana just came in from doing her biz… she said, “dang it’s cold out there!” I like to hear that! Tater tot is buried under the covers near my feet, and cozy.

Today I think I’ll get into a set that we cut out back in March. We always see deer using this area and with a south wind, it’ll be a nice first sit. The stand is in an inside corner of a creek bend and the stand is 25 -30 yards from the creek. The deer will naturally go in front of this stand due to a deep gully to the left of the stand and gets easier to navigate south of the location. Hope it works out. Lana is going to one of her favorite areas she likes to hunt down in a creek bottom area. This spot has stands for north and south winds. Let’s get this party started!

06-Nov-21

She stuffs TP up her nose because it keeps from dripping. Okie dokie. :)
She stuffs TP up her nose because it keeps from dripping. Okie dokie. :)
We are in! It’s around 35 degrees this morning and a light frost on the grass. Dropped Lana off at a different stand that is on the way to the stand I’m in now at the bend of the creek.

In the darkness, I could hear deer blowing across the creek. Who knows. It’s SUPER still this AM and will be very light south winds throughout the day.

As I was dropping Lana off at her destination, I said… “Good luck! It’s about to get western.” She replied “What does that mean?” I filled her in. Lol

06-Nov-21
How's about an update? Or did you get all "Western" on an omelet and fall back asleep?

06-Nov-21

30 yds to a mowed gas line right of way.
30 yds to a mowed gas line right of way.
Out in front and facing south. Deer trail about 15 yds out and goes E/W
Out in front and facing south. Deer trail about 15 yds out and goes E/W
Pretty slow far, just a few does. With leaves still on the trees, visibility is low and you need to be in full alert. This is facing south… furthest I can see is about 75 yards. Lana is blanking she said.

06-Nov-21
Western omelette sounds really good about now, Kyle. I settled for a cliff bar. It’s so quiet out, when I was unwrapping it, it sounded like I was folding aluminum foil.

06-Nov-21
I had a Honeycrisp apple and it sounded like I was crackin walnuts. Threw the core below my stand so I could be cool like the other baiters ;?)

BTW, there's a woman at the Casey's in Harper KS that can Crack walnuts with her bare hands

06-Nov-21
Kyle, I’ve Turkey hunted near Anthony there and been through Harper a few times. Unfortunately I missed her. As long as she can warm up the breakfast pizza that’s just a bonus.

06-Nov-21
I thought y’all would be tagged out by now

06-Nov-21

Off to put a midday south wind stand up. I watched from a north wind vantage point a couple weeks back where the deer (bucks and does) were moving around an old well. They are also staying south of a dead cow carcass (neighbors cow) which puts them into a 40 yard pinch. Gonna try to get this stand in there for the upcoming south winds. How you like my quick camo job? :)

06-Nov-21
Tooo much fun, keep it coming. my best ,Paul

06-Nov-21
Always a fun thread to follow...

CAMP TATER!!!

06-Nov-21
Hammertime

06-Nov-21

View out front. Two trails, 10 and 20. Money!
View out front. Two trails, 10 and 20. Money!
Sometimes when a plan from aerials comes together, you walk in, find the money trails and hang an awesome stand… that’s what I just did! Someone will kill a big one in the next few days out of this stand, I feel it!

06-Nov-21
Tuned in, keep it coming!

06-Nov-21

We are going to catch up on rest tonight and take Tater on some much needed walks. Plus, evenings aren’t generally as good. Combined with a shifty south wind, we’re gonna chill. We will catch up with updates in the morning.

07-Nov-21
Great read, keep-R-com'n

07-Nov-21
Okay… day two. Lana is in the stand that I put up midday yesterday. She’s already heard dogs fighting with hogs to our north. She said it was the most violent thing she has ever heard. Shortly after the commotion, she said two dogs walked out into a field to the north (cattle guy/different landowner) and one of the dogs was limping really bad. Guess that’s what happens when you jack with pigs. Oh well.

I am in a stand on the South side of our creek and more towards the west of our property. The creek makes a bend to my west and curls back to the east. I am 30-40 yards from the creek and have a big thicket that does and bucks like to hang out in. Plenty of browse and acorns to be had. Wind will be in my face. This is also a good place to rattle. Last year I rattled up two bucks within 30 minutes of each other. I also see signs the pigs have been tilling the ground up in front of me. Something good is gonna happen today.

Oh, and the River cane has grown significantly. I sounded like a herd of buffaloes coming in this morning. Sigh.

Let’s go Brandon!

07-Nov-21

And…. What would a bowsite semi-live hunt be without a stupid selfie?!

07-Nov-21
7:41 AM… I can hear dogs fighting with a pig across the creek. Pigs are a problem more than just what they do to the ground and eat up food sources that deer thrive on. They attract dogs and people that trespass at will. They really suck.

07-Nov-21
Great thread!!! Good luck and congrats Aaron!

07-Nov-21
Wow....if you lost the glasses...you would look like Uncle Ted in that selfie.

07-Nov-21
9:00 am… no deer seen by either Lana or myself, yet. Very weird to not see deer with this moon phase and time of year. No chasing, bucks cruising… notta. That can change quickly as we all know. Lana has had a bobcat walk below her stand and she also saw a rabbit that was “Three times the size of Tater”. Sounds like a swamp rabbit. They’re getting rare around here, but are YUGE. :)

07-Nov-21

Lana made us some fruit bags this morning. Along with a tuna pack, chips and water, I likely will stay all day. It’s a haul to get back here so might as well camp out. Got plenty of TP too.

07-Nov-21

And… 9:35

Someone’s rogue dogs. I’m sure the same dogs we heard fighting with hogs this morning. One looks to be Great Pyrenees, one is Pit mix and the other is heeler. I hate hogs and rogue dogs. Lame!

07-Nov-21
That selfie jumped right outa the screen and scared the crap outa me! Thought it was a close up of the possum that tangled with Tater.

07-Nov-21
LOL! I’ve been known to scare people with my face, that’s a given!

It’s 11 am and I’ve forgot what a deer looks like. Lana had 4 big does stroll down broadway an hour ago. It’s warming up a bit. Supposed to reach 70 today. Not very conducive to bow hunting. Beats being at work. It can only get better!

07-Nov-21
Beautiful Ted Nugent grin, Rick!

07-Nov-21
Good trip.

07-Nov-21

Now that you guys have mentioned it, he does make his teeth do that. That was just my goofy look. :)

Now it’s lunch and a quick nap behind the stand. I had high hopes for this morning over here. Meh, at best.

Lana had two bucks fighting around 11:00 just east of her stand. She never saw them. She rode the ATV up to camp to let TT out for a bathroom break. Then she’s hammering back in the stand.

07-Nov-21
4:15 PM… same tree as this morning. Have seen one deer that was running south and being chased by something. Couldn’t quite tell what it was. But I did finally see a deer. Hopefully the last hour or so is good. Not sure what’s up with this area…. Holy crap! Just as I’m typing, I heard what I believe was a “buck roar”. Really odd.

07-Nov-21

This buck came through about 10 minutes ago. Appears to be a 3.5 year old. He was a nine or ten point with a flare or drop tine on the end of his right main beam. Followed the script for sure. Good to see movement! Have seen 4 so far, the others were does.

07-Nov-21
Good luck

07-Nov-21

Total today of deer and wildlife between Lana and myself. Two bucks, 10 does, 1 bobcat, 1 swamp rabbit and 10k squirrels.

Until tomorrow… thanks for looking and following along.

07-Nov-21
Yup.....the spawn of Uncle Ted. Love the grin! Keep the reports coming.

08-Nov-21
Rick, I would suspect that the tracks in the last pic are an indication of your lack of deer sightings. You need to get rid of those 3 toed critters. Obviously you don’t care to fool with that in the spring so I will offer my services. I’d even do it free of charge since I enjoy reading your post so much!!

08-Nov-21

Hah! Thanks Shiloh, but our population is so low that the SE region went to a two week season about 8 or 9 years ago. We used to hunt them on the reg, but since the downturn in numbers, we haven’t hunted them down here in about 10 years. Pretty sad. The Oklahoma wildlife department finally took notice and pushed the entire statewide season back a few weeks and limited/lowered the bag limit. Glad they’re doing this because numbers are down across the state.

So, good morning everyone! Today’s hunt, again has dealt us south winds and even warmer temps. Lana and myself are about 300 yards from each other this morning and the likelihood of us seeing the same deer are good. She is in the new set I hung on Saturday and I’m in a stand east of her. I should be able to prompt her if deer are headed her way. A major creek is at our backs and south wind in our face. The stand I am in is one where Charlie Rehor shot his P&Y buck last season. It’s a hardwoods bottom that is thick with red oaks. The deer love to cruise through here and browse. It’s a nice transition between beddings areas. Anything going east to west will get a pass in hopes that they end up in Lana’s lap. Wish us luck, the sun is rising!

08-Nov-21
keeping up on this Rick, Good Luck

08-Nov-21

It’s so boring out here I’m making pac-man oatmeal cream pies. Only deer we’ve seen is on a cell cam a mile away. It’s only going to get better. Actually, it’s very unusual for this time period. We could at least count on some small bucks cruising, but zilch.

Good thing is we have a front pulling in Wednesday that will bring rain and colder temps. Hopefully it brings North winds too. Likely will take the evening off to let areas rest a bit. Plus I need to cut some firewood for the evenings.

Oh, and our other fella that hunts with us, Jamie, will be pulling in today. Will be nice to have his presence in camp and out hunting. Until later…

08-Nov-21
Good luck, bud!

08-Nov-21
Been real slow here to Rick. I'm also hoping the cooler weather at the end of this week helps pick things up. Goodluck!

08-Nov-21
Definitely slow in the NE part of oklahoma. Been at it the last 5 days and have seen little day time movement. The occasional 1 1/2 buck cruising at first or last light.

08-Nov-21
You really need to shoot those damn dogs

08-Nov-21

Don’t worry Brad, we are. I shot 4 last year not even trying. :)

Been busy today. Rain and colder weather coming on Wednesday. I’ll say something about people who cut wood for a side gig or people who cut down trees for a living… they earn their darn money! I’ll sleep good tonight! By the way… no hunt tonight. 74 degrees and swirling winds. Where’s the whiskey?!

08-Nov-21
Not in Canada I’m told!

09-Nov-21
Wake up buttercup!

09-Nov-21
Too much whiskey???

09-Nov-21
Actually, we took a morning to sleep in. It sure felt good. That’s one of the most important things to do while in vacation. We’ll be back at it again tonight and beyond. Only foresee missing one sit from here on out and that’s tomorrow when the rain comes in. Until this afternoon….

09-Nov-21
Velociraptor tracks!

09-Nov-21
Nice to catch some zzz’s even on “Rut-cation”. Just out here truckin my life away living vicariously through bowsite. LOL

09-Nov-21

As most know, we slept in this morning. It was hot out. Throughout the day, cloud cover came in but temps are still pretty high. Looks like we will have some colder temps throughout Thursday through Sunday. I’ll finally get to sit an outside corner on the creek which requires a NW or West wind. Calling for it on Thursday and Friday! Hopefully picks up with the front. Can’t imagine it getting much worse.

Jamie and Lana are hunting south wind stands tonight that Lana and myself hunted yesterday morning. All it takes is one! I’m hunting an edge of a mowed right of way where does like to come out and graze on grass the last hour or so of light. Maybe a buck will be enticed to come join them. Non/stop hunting and all day sits coming up!

09-Nov-21
One doe and one small buck seen tonight. Something has to give. North winds coming will be our only help. Getting into the 3rd quarter. Still time! :)

09-Nov-21
Good luck Embry! Love your hunts.

09-Nov-21
It will happen. TT will bring the luck. I'm in my CO plains camp tonight, season reopens tomorrow. I'm with you guys in spirit! Keep the faith. Everything can change in one minute.

10-Nov-21
“This ain’t no CT live hunt…”

You’d better pick up the pace, Rick! ;-) Good thing you’ve got Lana along!

10-Nov-21
I was thinking that last night Troy. Lol

We will see what the day brings. Showers in the evening it looks.

10-Nov-21
Good luck today!

10-Nov-21
I’m in my blind and seeing younger bucks chasing all day. Now these are mule deer and a couple thousand miles north of you, so has nothing to do with anything really. Just pick up the pace and more pics so I have something to do.

Knock’ em down Team Tater!!

10-Nov-21
Pretty slow, again! Hoping the north winds and new area changes things up tomorrow. Probably turn loose when we have to go back to work on Monday. :)

10-Nov-21
Well it sounds like you’ve hunted every spot the deer are not using! I’m betting you guys will get into them fast and furious. Good luck guys! Go team tator !

10-Nov-21
A line from my favorite bowhunting song: "ALL IT TAKES IS ONE HOT DOE.................." ;-)

10-Nov-21
Great thread and good luck Rick!

10-Nov-21

This was a screen shot from a video on the cam. Buck was chasing these does around pretty good.
This was a screen shot from a video on the cam. Buck was chasing these does around pretty good.
Thanks guys!!

I ran down to a south wind funnel stand while Jamie and my wife drove into town to pick a few items. It’s overcast, and about 65 degrees. The wind is out of the south at about 10mph.

Seems we are just missing them (the deer). They’ve changed their habits around quite a bit too. This morning all that was saw was one lone doe. Checked a couple non-cell cams on my way in and it revealed a couple decent 8 pointers. They look good, but smaller/younger than I’d like to kill. I’ve only seen a couple deer that I’d be interested in shooting, they were on camera in mid October. One is a big heavy 8 with long brows. The other is a really nice 9 or 10 point with split G2 on his left side. He’s got lots of tine length. Haven’t seen them since mid-Oct. Then there’s those monsters that just show up… that’s what motivates me. See if something can happen…

10-Nov-21
That’s a big framed and wide 8 in your pic. Night photos can subtract a little mass. Looks pretty good! Best of luck on the rest of your hunt!

10-Nov-21
Do you think it would help if Lana switched up to Kuiu camo Kleenex hanging out of her nose?

10-Nov-21
Now we’re talkin!

10-Nov-21
Yea, Greg, you’re correct. I WAY underestimated a 10 point a couple years ago from a night camera pic. I thought it was in the 130’s and Lana killed it later that year and it was pushing 150”. Might be game time decisions. :)

I know tomorrow and Friday could be game changers due to the temps falling and I finally get to hunt them one of the two stands that haven’t been touched since March. I’m excited for tomorrow, for everyone!

Rod… I’ll ask her and report back to you what she says. :)

10-Nov-21

It just looks all deery out here with the clouds and all. Come on!!

10-Nov-21
Light rain at 4:15 PM. I can hear thunder to my West… hope I can make darkness before heavy storms hit. Regardless… the next 3-4 days should be really good. I’ve got that feeling. :)

10-Nov-21
Rick your 2021 hunt going to be like a 2021 Sooner game. Slow first half but cranked up it the second half.

10-Nov-21
John… let’s just hope so! It’s time for the Defense to show up. Lol

Had 4 does 2 fawns come down Broadway tonight. They got way too close and one of the does picked me off. She walked around behind me and tried to wind me to no avail. But, they ended up walking back the way they came, which is a loss on my part. I like them to continue on. They were less than 10 yards. I’ll need to adjust the stand after the season for sure. Already have the tree picked out.

10-Nov-21
Hope you have a great hunt Rick. Pulling for you all. Enjoy!

10-Nov-21
You need Lana to do your make up...face paint like hers. Them does won’t pick you off! Good luck tomorrow guys!

10-Nov-21
Riding out one hell of a thunderstorm right about now! Tater tot is pissed because the storm is jacking with her sleep.

Gonna need this rain to stop or I won’t be able to get across the creek. Sigh.

10-Nov-21
Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, eh? Good luck, the best is yet to come!

10-Nov-21
Cable bridge on the menu for next summer!!

10-Nov-21
Thanks everyone! It has just stopped raining, momentarily. More coming, I believe, and done by early morning

Gonna be on stand good and early. The forest floor, with it’s damp foliage, will provide a silent access to my virgin stand. Can’t wait!

11-Nov-21
Please kill SOMETHING or this is just another CT Live Hunt - :)

11-Nov-21
No, it’s much, much more than a CT live hunt. At least here we see game and pass it up. By the way, Bradly, you’re late to the game, this has been discussed.

11-Nov-21
thumbs up Rick

11-Nov-21
In deep! Honestly, not feeling it. Don’t know what it is. Got in early and super quiet. Weird feeling…. Hopefully I’m wrong. Time will tell.

11-Nov-21
10-3 it’ll happen.

11-Nov-21
I’ll be here all day AJ. Tine will tell. :)

11-Nov-21
8:35: 4 does and a small buck hanging out and grunting. Good start!

Edit: as I was typing, a 100” 8pt came pushing through and ran off one of the does. Getting good!

4 does and two bucks by 9am. I like it.

11-Nov-21
Good luck Rick!

Action has been slow over here in Arkansas the past few days but I look for things to pick up in a big way soon!!!

11-Nov-21

100” 8 point got his antlers hung up in some overhanging branches. He went on to push a doe behind my stand.
100” 8 point got his antlers hung up in some overhanging branches. He went on to push a doe behind my stand.
Good luck, Greg!

Getting back to where they are helps. 4 bucks and 4 does so far. The first buck came through and pushed a few does around. The rest have been cruisers. Good to see!

11-Nov-21
Will shooting a hog or dog, if one passes by, mess up your area?

11-Nov-21
I’ll shoot a hog, not a dog. I actually shot at a dog years back and missed (30-30). Glad I’m a bad shot with a rifle. It was a pack of dogs and I shot at the last dog, which was a female beagle. When we got over to where I’d shot at her, she was hunkered down in a ditch, scared to death. She was super friendly. Let’s just say, someone in the Tulsa area got a new dog. :)

11-Nov-21

11-Nov-21
Haha, yup. Good thing beagles are cute ‘cause they’re sure dumb.

My wife says that about me sometimes too.

Ok, not the cute part.

Stay alert!

11-Nov-21

Did see a pretty cool raccoon too. White tips on his ears.
Did see a pretty cool raccoon too. White tips on his ears.
Well… I had forgot my glasses at the camper so I didn’t update much. Total for the day for me: 6 does and 6 bucks. That’s a pretty good ratio. Best buck being in the 120 range. Nothing eye popping. Lana saw a half dozen does this morning and blanked tonight. Jamie did see a few does and a small buck this morning.

A bit cooler temps in the AM. Will be back at em’ in the morning. Fingers crossed, getting to the 4th quarter.

11-Nov-21
Shoot them does!

11-Nov-21
Brad… where I was, NO. WAY. :)

11-Nov-21
If any phase of the rut is ongoing...I wouldn't touch the does just yet.

11-Nov-21
JL… for sure! I routinely won’t shoot does from Oct 25th through the weekend after thanksgiving. Then, fair game once again.

Now, camp fire time… :)

11-Nov-21

Campfire…
Campfire…

11-Nov-21
Tomorrow’s the day!

12-Nov-21
Let’s hope, Rick!

I’m back in the thick stuff again. Dropped Jamie off to go to virgin stand we hung back in March. Lana is at the “pumper area” north wind stand.

Lana has reported she has had two does cruise past her and “talking it up”. I had a small buck walk by at 5 yds. No reports from Jamie yet.

12-Nov-21
I’m checking in while at work. Got a feeling today’s the day! We’ll see if I’m intuitive or just hopeful. I was on Team Lana last year. Pulling for the whole crew this year. Just hoping that things happen and there are no clowns in the woods.

12-Nov-21
Embry, I am 2 hours north of you. Today is the day, little bucks have been pushing does here since first light. One of your monsters will stroll by shortly, good luck!!

12-Nov-21

Decent 8 pt buck. Likely a 3.5 yr old. Odd antler configuration.
Decent 8 pt buck. Likely a 3.5 yr old. Odd antler configuration.
Three bucks so far. They’re getting bigger too. This one read the script.

Lana has had multiple does and two smaller bucks fighting. Good so far!

12-Nov-21
Good luck today! Cold, windy and even some snow flurries in Iowa today. Should be a fun weekend!!

12-Nov-21
Looks like it’s heating up ! Do you guys rattle at all ? A buddy up here is rattling in bucks left and right. I never seem to have his luck.

12-Nov-21
We rattle a bit. But not a lot. Think I might pull out the rattlers this weekend. Lana was just texting saying she saw a knee-knocker of a buck. It was never in range. After it left, in a hurry, it clashed with another buck just on top of a hill/briar thicket behind her. Heating up!!

12-Nov-21
Hell yes!

12-Nov-21

Quick snack and change of stands. 12:20 PM.

12-Nov-21
FWIW.......the last two times out I've been having success just using a grunt call in a series of 4 - 5 grunts and then sitting back and waiting. The first young buck to come in ran in maybe 30 seconds after I finished a set. Up in the northwoods (MI)....me thinks the bigger bucks are locked up with the does. The young ones are out and about hoping to get lucky. Down in the OK way they may not be that far into the rut.

12-Nov-21
I think another cold front may be pushing through tonight into tomorrow morning. Supposed to be below freezing so maybe more activity still. Will be hunting tomorrow but have my phone to follow along for inspiration to stay in the stand a little longer! Best of luck Embry family!

12-Nov-21
Is it hard when you're in deep and not feeling it?

All this time you been playing us...short an arrow in the quiver...

12-Nov-21
Good luck, Russ! Lana was on a good one this morning. Two does came in and one of the does must be close because a giant we call “split” was going after one of the does hard and heavy and eventually singled her out. They bedded about 75 yards from Lana’s stand. At one point, with Lana at the ready, an 8 point came down and circled the bigger buck and his doe. The small 8 didn’t want none and ended up going 15 yards out in front of Lana and bedding down, facing her! Lol! So for the next 30 minutes, she had to slowly maneuver her way into a seated position while the buck was sitting out in front of her chewing it’s cud. Funny stuff. She said the big buck and doe drifted off to the SE into the thick briars.

Adam… no I just like numbers like 5. Plus it was too crowded for 6. ;) lol

12-Nov-21
How far is 'going deep' in the Okla deer woods?

12-Nov-21
If all I had for lunch was Tuna Salad Mix I think I would have shot the little buck before lunch. ;)

12-Nov-21
Deep in the thick stuff Brad. From the camp it’s a bit over half mile as the crow flies but probably closer to 3/4 with the entrance. It’s thick over there, really thick and not easy to navigate.

12-Nov-21
Well… today was the Lana show! She ended up seeing bucks fighting, a monster tending to a doe. Wouldn’t leave her side. Then several more bucks parade in and out of the bottom she was hunting. Total: 13 bucks and 6 does.

Myself, I saw 5 bucks, one doe and a flock of turkeys. Jamie blanked out on his morning sit and took it easy this evening as his better half was pulling into camp. Pretty darn good day without a kill. Until tomorrow… thanks for checking in!

12-Nov-21
Well... My feeling fell flat. You’re going to have to make up for it tomorrow. Have fun! Short bloodtrails!

12-Nov-21
One of my favorite sayings is… “the noose is tightening”

12-Nov-21
FWIW....my IHUNT750 solunar table says there should be a lot of activity down there from Nov 17th thru the 20th.

12-Nov-21
It’s gonna be good in the morning, I feel it!

12-Nov-21
“I feel it!”

That might just be the oatmeal creme pies/tuna salad talking, Rick!

Hope I’m wrong!….Good luck to you guys tomorrow!

12-Nov-21
Hope she see's the "knee-knocker" again tomorrow, good luck you two!

12-Nov-21
4th quarter let’s go Embry’s !

13-Nov-21
It nice and COLD this morning! Thinking about that on a grander outlook, it’s not very cold here compared to further North. I can only imagine what it’s like in the upper US and Canada. Brrrrrr!!!

Lana is in the same stand she hunted yesterday. She has already witnessed two bucks in her location. They were snort wheezing she said. I’m in a stand that we moved around in March. It is approximately 300 yards to the South of Lana’s stand. In hopes of catching some residual cruisers that are working North to South and East to West.

Troy… if having to stop twice on my way in is any indication. Well… :)

13-Nov-21
Got a feeling today has been exciting for Embry. No updates, something is going on their neck of the woods.

13-Nov-21

Tater is pissed she can’t go sit in the stand with us.
Tater is pissed she can’t go sit in the stand with us.
Well, the morning ended without seeing a buck, for me. I did see 3 does just traveling Willy nilly and feeding. Lana saw 3 more bucks and a few does. The wind switched directions midday so we opted for some lunch and a quick nap. Should have north winds for the morning, so anything can happen.

We are are currently in the south wind stands that are about 200 yards apart. Lana barely got up and an 8 point walked in front of her stand. He eventually made his way to me and was a bit smaller/younger than I wanted to shoot. I am now dealing with a noisy a— armadillo behind me. 4th quarter… with minutes to go. You never know!

13-Nov-21
Always amazes me how much a tiny armadillo can sound just like a deer/pig. Seen a lot of cruising here in Push county the last few days and one decent 8 point chase a doe although she didn't seem to interested.

13-Nov-21
Well Rick disregard my OU analogy. ;(

13-Nov-21

Last night campfire. Always good conversations.
Last night campfire. Always good conversations.
For sure, John! They got exposed. Anyone with any amount of sports knowledge knew it was a matter of time. Unfortunately, Baylor won the one on one matchups and came out victorious. Maybe we can right the ship and win the Big 12? Time will tell.

Push… they were thick tonight! Had two gang around way too long! Annoying little bastards.

As far as the night went… nothing killed, duh! But, plenty of sightings and Jamie almost got it done on a “monster”! Apparently moved behind some brush to his left side and kept moving East, never providing an ethical shot. It was pretty awesome to hear his stories about his encounters. Think he saw 3 bucks and 1 doe. Lana had the 8 pt run by her as she just got up into the stand and she also saw 6 does. Myself, I saw half dozen does and one little harassing forky. Good times and one last morning hunt before heading home. There’s still time! :)

Thanks for checking in!

13-Nov-21
One of my annual favorites. That look on Taters face...."come on Mom and Dad, get this done!! I've got squirrels to kil!"

Tomorrow is the day! Down tater....

14-Nov-21
Another day is upon us… Lana went down to where she was having lots of action. Also a lot of does in the area. Jamie and his girlfriend, Ro, went to a double stand along a creek and a gas right of way parallels it. Myself, I’m on camp stand with Tater tot. Thought I’d bow out and hang with the dog and gather things up for our exit later today.

I’ll keep you updated if anything exciting transpires in the next 5 hours or so.

14-Nov-21
Thanks for sharing

14-Nov-21

And we’re off… back to reality.
And we’re off… back to reality.
And… back to reality. No animals were harmed on this 9 day hunt. A lot of animals passed up, including several 3.5 yr old bucks that will/should be decent next year.

One thing I’d like to say… I’m grateful for the opportunity and killing has become secondary in the grand scheme of life. I’m grateful for my wife, my little TT and being financially able to take a week to go and hunt. Thanks for following along!

By the way… still a lot of season left! Until next time…

14-Nov-21

And Lana found some old Indian artifacts while walking out from her morning hunt. You’d think she had just killed a giant buck!

14-Nov-21
^...that real cool right there! I've never found any old Indian artifacts like that.

14-Nov-21
It was fun following along. Thanks for sharing!

14-Nov-21
Thanks for bringing us along on your hunt. Get him next weekend!!!

14-Nov-21
One thing I’d like to say… I’m grateful for the opportunity and killing has become secondary in the grand scheme of life. I’m grateful for my wife, my little TT and being financially able to take a week to go and hunt. I like this statement! Enjoyed following

14-Nov-21
Well you had some good fellowship, some excitement, some relaxation and some fun. Plus you entertained us. I’m a little disappointed that there was no pork on a stick. Is it possible that the Possum Grin put the big bucks off?

Do you find that most years there’s lots of 3.5 year olds that don’t translate to lots of 4.5 year olds the next year? It’s the rule here in northern BC. Many don’t see their fourth spring.

14-Nov-21
Well certainly you could have faked covid and been forced to quarantine 10 more days at deer camp? Come on man! LOL thanks for taking us along and keep us posted when you go back.

14-Nov-21

One of my favorite parting pics. I take one every year after we lock the gate and head out.
One of my favorite parting pics. I take one every year after we lock the gate and head out.
Thanks guys, and thank you Gregory!

Ambush… I’m genuinely surprised we didn’t kill a hog. Of course, Aaron did. But we usually get some target practice as they use a lot of the same funnels as the deer do. As far as seeing 3.5 yr olds and the next year very few 4.5 yr olds, I’m not sure. But it definitely doesn’t translate well. Dispersement maybe? Could also be that surrounding hunters kill the first decent racked buck and they’re okay with it. Different strokes.

ND… I sure will! Now Covid, I unfortunately had it in July/August. Don’t think I would’ve been cool with hunting. :)

15-Nov-21
Glad you had a good trip. Best to you, Lana, Tater et al.

15-Nov-21
Thanks for taking us along Embry family! Always enjoy the week hunt.

15-Nov-21
Great write up

15-Nov-21
Thanks for sharing and sounds like you all had a great time.

• Sitka Gear