Rocky D 12-Nov-21
Rocky D 12-Nov-21
Rocky D 12-Nov-21
Rocky D 13-Nov-21
Rocky D 13-Nov-21
Rocky D 13-Nov-21
Rocky D 13-Nov-21
08-Nov-21
I thought that I would share what a typical day for me consist of on Ohio public land hunt.

Day started at 04:00 with me starting up the mountain at 5:30 dressed in merino wool shirt and hiking shorts with pack loaded with clothes, 1 liter water, two Payday bars, and True Moo chocolate milk. My hike is a little over a mile and as most days I plan to set all day.

08-Nov-21

08-Nov-21

Rocky D's embedded Photo
Rocky D's embedded Photo
Here is my walk on my Garmin. I normally tray it as a workout!

08-Nov-21

Rocky D's embedded Photo
Rocky D's embedded Photo
Here is my heart rate data.

08-Nov-21
Here is my heart rate data.

08-Nov-21
Normally, after the climb I undress and cool down and then put on the layers and climb! Once up I drink chocolate milk for a recovery drink. This helps in combating the cold and helps legs recovery for a repeat tomorrow morning.

Yesterday I saw three does and is what I consider a good day on the mountain. I never see a lot of deer but I have seen some dandies and killed a few.

Not seeing many deer is what kills most hunters enthusiasm. Many pack up and go home early.

08-Nov-21
Damn double post!

08-Nov-21
Not seeing deer is tough. But you only need to see one to turn a slow but good day into a great day. I saw more deer walking out of my house than I have from the stand. Slow so far in NW Ohio.

08-Nov-21
Now for the long wait, which is more than just waiting. You need to stay alert for over 10 hours so you must actively hunt by listening to all sounds. In the past I have heard nearly silent grunting that was almost indistinguishable.

I have heard what I thought was a leaf dropping to find that it was a buck drifting silently behind me. Had I not been paying close attention he could have easily slipped past me.

This is not hard to do especially if you allow boredom to creep in and you become complacent on your watch!

This is not hard to do especially when things are really slow.

08-Nov-21
Now for the long wait, which is more than just waiting. You need to stay alert for over 10 hours so you must actively hunt by listening to all sounds. In the past I have heard nearly silent grunting that was almost indistinguishable.

I have heard what I thought was a leaf dropping to find that it was a buck drifting silently behind me. Had I not been paying close attention he could have easily slipped past me.

This is not hard to do especially if you allow boredom to creep in and you become complacent on your watch!

This is not hard to do especially when things are really slow.

08-Nov-21
RIT, that’s absolutely true and is what keeps us hanging in there!

08-Nov-21
We have excellent property in Ohio and it has been exceptionally slow too this rut!

08-Nov-21
Friends of mine used to pack into the national forest in va near a popular spot outside of frontroyal. They would stay a week & said by the 3rd day would be seeing plenty of deer. As all the day hunters would push the deer back to em. I always wish I'd have joined them. Camping, deer & small game hunting , and catching native brook trout. The secret was to get just beyond the distance a one day hunter could get.

08-Nov-21
RIT, that’s absolutely true and is what keeps us hanging in there!

08-Nov-21
TimexI had a couple of guys I know that had a great time doing just that this past weekend. Hopefully, I will get a couple of pics to share!

08-Nov-21
TimexI had a couple of guys I know that had a great time doing just that this past weekend. Hopefully, I will get a couple of pics to share!

08-Nov-21
SteveB, that’s good to know because it helps fight the ever present doubt!

08-Nov-21

Rocky D's embedded Photo
Rocky D's embedded Photo
Timex, as promised here is one of the public land VA bucks!

08-Nov-21

08-Nov-21
Rocky until this yr I was hunting public land, bowhunting only tract, I went anyware from 600 yrds to a mile ..but thats on flat land. You have it rougher dealing with mountainous terrain

08-Nov-21

Rocky D's embedded Photo
Rocky D's embedded Photo
TG, a mile on flat ground is still ambitious!

Timex, here is the second the second buck. Oh, by the way it is a father and son team. Looks like this one was close enough to drag.

08-Nov-21
P.S. these are two very serious hunters who also have killed several public land bucks with their bows.

08-Nov-21

08-Nov-21

Rocky D's embedded Photo
Rocky D's embedded Photo
Mmm, lunch!

08-Nov-21

08-Nov-21
Nice buck

08-Nov-21
No deer so far! That’s public land for you but I am remaining positive!

Highlight of the day was when a hawk missed a squirrel and seemed like every squirrel on the mountain started barking!

08-Nov-21
I love it. That’s the way our group does it here. However, the mileage is quite a bit more. But, packing out meat is the only thing that makes it possible.

I drug a pretty decent buck two weeks ago that my buddy killed. I’m guessing a160 lbs or so field dressed. I’m just not the man I used to be. That thing wore me out.

08-Nov-21
On the bright side, you haven't seen more hunters than squirrels, like you would on public land in Colorado. ;-)

Matt

08-Nov-21
We were on public in southern ohio last friday. Sat dark to dark, 1.1 miles in and between the two of us sitting 400 yards apart, did not see one deer. We did have a group of 3 hunters from new york come in and set up in our block, one guy setup about 150 yards from my brother. And i had 2 random guys wander in to me mid afternoon, assuming they were scouting. No camo or bows, but not sure what else they’d be doin that deep. We left and moved hour n half north to hunt with a buddy on some private ground and it was a complete 180 of what we experienced on the public.

On an unrelated note, if u live in ohio and ur 4 ponies got out of their pen, we saw them at 2:05 in the morning as we came around a blind curve. In the middle of the road is where they were. I dunno what pony tastes like…but we almost found out….

Good luck Rocky, will be following this and rooting you on!

08-Nov-21
GG, I haven’t ever seen another hunter from this location but they are lots of them in more accessible areas!

08-Nov-21
SIP, I live in Georgia so no ponies for me. Thanks for the moral support.

WV, unfortunately most of us are not what we used to be!

08-Nov-21
GG, Ohio has around 100,000 more licensed hunters than Colorado and not nearly as much public land so public is tough everywhere!

You do have about 7500 more nonresident hunters. Maybe you could get help from your local liberal friends to have them help stop Colorado from whoring out your resources with all those OTC elk permits.

08-Nov-21
Double post

08-Nov-21

Rocky D's embedded Photo
Rocky D's embedded Photo
My brother put this guy on a stand this morning in the same area.

08-Nov-21

08-Nov-21
Rocky, I had Colorado's OTC elk hunting in mind when I made my comment above. And, I agree with you about Colorado whoring out our elk resources.

I was just reading thru Ohio's hunting regulations. It seems to be a very hunter friendly state with generous bag limits and license requirements, especially if you're a resident landowner.

Matt

08-Nov-21
GG, Ohio license just went up last year. Used to be the best bargain in the country for about $165. Now it’s $257 but still great deal.

08-Nov-21

08-Nov-21
Zero deer seen today.

08-Nov-21
Are the deer there this year RockyD?

08-Nov-21
WV, yes there are deer here but movement has been sporadic. The thing is there are some huge deer and I am playing where three ridges and hollows come together. When they go cruising or chasing it will get hot. Tomorrow I will adjust my stand about two hundred yards. Time will tell!

09-Nov-21
WV, yes there are deer here but movement has been sporadic. The thing is there are some huge deer and I am playing where three ridges and hollows come together. When they go cruising or chasing it will get hot. Tomorrow I will adjust my stand about two hundred yards. Time will tell!

09-Nov-21
Good luck Mike! I don't have my usual week off to hunt the rut but I was able to take a long wknd just last wknd and it was very slow...not sure what's going on. Hang in there!

09-Nov-21

09-Nov-21
Matt, I am stuck on this tree! My will is greater than theirs LoL!

09-Nov-21
I was planning on just covering yesterday but we will play today out to see what happens!

09-Nov-21
Anyone know how to stop double post with IPhone?

09-Nov-21
haha no clue Mike choot a biggun!

09-Nov-21
This heat is not helping!

09-Nov-21
We will forget all about the double posts after we see some pics resulting from a double lung!! Come on rut, turn on and get these bucks cruising!

10-Nov-21
SIP, I hear you! No deer seen yesterday. Me w stand location today!

Heat wave continues, tomorrow rain, and Friday a return for cooler temperatures!

Hopefully, that incites some activity.

10-Nov-21
SIP, I hear you! No deer seen yesterday. Me w stand location today!

Heat wave continues, tomorrow rain, and Friday a return for cooler temperatures!

Hopefully, that incites some activity.

10-Nov-21
This is a cool thread. Thanks Rocky. Its interesting to see and hear about your time in the tree. Usually all we hear about Ohio, Kansas, and places like that are all the big deer behind every tree. Fun to see someone going after them on Public and having some tough sits. Not fun cause I want you to have slow sits! Just cause I can relate and hope it pays off for you. Good luck!

10-Nov-21
I am on my private farm in Ohio and it has been very slow. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 acres of standing corn within 3 miles of my place with moderate pressure. Occasionally I see some little bucks in the morning but it was almost 70 yesterday.

10-Nov-21
SBH, thanks for the comments and glad that you can enjoy it!

News alert, I blew it! Big dose of humble pie on probably 150ish 10 point at 40 yards!!!

Bologna sandwich didn’t make it feel in better. I am not one to cave in so I am going back out at another location.

My brother passed on this little 10 this morning. Sorry about video quality. Maybe you can see better on puter.

I couldnt figure on how to attach video!

10-Nov-21
Damnit Mike! haha Sorry that is the worst did you miss or not get an opportunity to shoot but should have?

10-Nov-21
Matt, MISSED!

10-Nov-21
ahhhhhhhh!!!! haha sorry man keep at it!

10-Nov-21
Oooohhhh daayyum! Cheering for ya Rocky D!

10-Nov-21
Second time is the charm. Git em Rocky

10-Nov-21
If it ain't a perfect hit I'll take a clean miss everytime.

10-Nov-21
Enjoying this thread. Rooting for you! The misses hurt a lot, but make the successes sweater.

10-Nov-21
Best of luck, Rocky! Make up for that miss!

10-Nov-21
Matt, MISSED!

10-Nov-21

11-Nov-21
Setting today until the rain runs me off. Around 10:00 I hear rrrrrrrpp rrrrppp. I see a flick of white and over the ridge comes little doe.

She stands and feeds for three or four minutes and I see a flash brown. Out steps a little cow horn spike and he follows the doe back over the ridge.

11-Nov-21
Great thread! Ohio public land is tough. I used to think a mile walk was a long ways. Then I started elk hunting. In WY this year I woke up at 4:30am, freezing cold in the tent. Let at 5am for a 1 hour and 45 minute climb straight up to hunt. The only reason I did it that fast was I worked out a LOT this year and had just finished a brutal hunt in AK for caribou.

My climb was straight up gaining 1,800 of elevation. I hunted all day with minimal food/water and climbed down in the dark. I did that every day a couple times twice a day. Keep in mind that just got me up to the elk. I walked many more miles a day hunting.

Good luck! There is still at least solid week of hard rutting action left in Ohio.

11-Nov-21

RIT's embedded Photo
RIT's embedded Photo
7 different bucks on their feet at my place in Ohio today between 10 and 2:00 pm. 70 degrees and 25 mph wind. Love is in the air.

12-Nov-21
Swirling wind drove me off the stand yesterday and then the rain came!

Woods are wet this morning as I prepare for another all day set.

Hopefully, animals will move so I want have to confront to much boredom. If you get to bored that’s where the doubt starts to seep in.

Thousands of starling just lit and took off. It caused a major issue with the local squirrel population and they appropriately let them know it!

12-Nov-21

12-Nov-21
Squirrels moved first thing this morning and nothing since. Wind swirling but trying to remain positive and stick it out

I have killed on bad days before so I am still hopeful!

12-Nov-21
Nothing moving today but I was looking for a double post I would killing it!

13-Nov-21
Wind and rain ran me off yesterday evening!

New day today and I am bundled up like a bear.

33 degrees west wind at 10 mph with a high of 41! Expecting great things today, rut has to pick up eventually!!!!

Watching upswing side of a big greenbrier thicket that holds do so hoping a cruising i buck will show up!

13-Nov-21
Wind and rain ran me off yesterday evening!

New day today and I am bundled up like a bear.

33 degrees west wind at 10 mph with a high of 41! Expecting great things today, rut has to pick up eventually!!!!

Watching upswing side of a big greenbrier thicket that holds do so hoping a cruising i buck will show up!

13-Nov-21
Absolutely dead so far, one grey squirrel early this morning .

Still cold with steady west wind. A buck need’s to scent check this thicket for some hot doe.

13-Nov-21
Absolutely dead so far, one grey squirrel early this morning .

Still cold with steady west wind. A buck need’s to scent check this thicket for some hot doe.

• Sitka Gear