Potro 10-Nov-21
JG 15-Nov-21
Pat Lefemine 15-Nov-21
Rock 15-Nov-21
t-roy 15-Nov-21
Dale06 16-Nov-21
JG 16-Nov-21
08-Nov-21
I'm researching the possibility of hunting Brown Bears with my recurve. It's something I've been wanting to do for awhile. I'm interested in opinions of stalking verses baited hunts . Would the chance for success be higher on a baited hunt? I would just like the opportunity to kill a respectable bear, doesn't have to be a monster. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It seems that there was a thread a while back about several guys killing bears, baited, with trade gear. Does anyone have a link or info to that? I know these are general questions but maybe I can get started in my quest this way. Thanks

08-Nov-21
I and a friend both killed baited brown bears thee years ago with Jonah Stewart. I would say the success rate is much higher, baited vs non bait, if you go with a reputable outfitter. There baited brown bear hunts have become quit popular, and thats really kicked up he cost f them.

08-Nov-21

iceman's Link
recent thread with some info

09-Nov-21
PM sent

10-Nov-21
I don't know in which hunt you will have more opportunities to shoot a brown bear (baited or stalking), but stalking for me definitive is more exciting. Just trying to get close to a big bear and see him coming is unforgettable

15-Nov-21
I’ll get the numbers probably wrong from memory but I recently booked a trip with an outfitter who offers both

When I was vetting his camp out I asked him whether I should go on the much cheaper(like 1/2 price) spot and stalk or his baited hunt

His answer was something like the baited you have an 90% chance for a shot and a picture with a dead bear, the spot and stalk you’ll have plenty of great opportunities but it’s more of a 10-20% chance to get a picture with a dead bear. Everything has to go just right to have a successful spot and stalk with a bow

Something like that

15-Nov-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Grizzly charged me after I shot. Turned into a 5 second sh*t show but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Grizzly charged me after I shot. Turned into a 5 second sh*t show but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
JG,

I understand and agree with the outfitter's comment. But having hunted Brown Bear/Grizz 4x and successful on one trip, I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. If you want a dead bear, by all means go on a baited hunt. But if you want the experience of a lifetime, like getting charged like we were (well maybe scratch that last part) then you have to experience a spot and stalk bear hunt.

It's the same for all dangerous game. I have no problem with hunting cape buffalo over water and bait, but for me - the experience of stalking and killing an old free-range bull on foot, was the experience of a lifetime.

Again, no issue with anyone baiting bears, buffalo, etc. I'm just saying the two experiences are not remotely similar.

15-Nov-21

Rock's embedded Photo
Rock's embedded Photo
I hunted my Brown Bear with a Recurve in 2012, Pete Barella was my guide, spot and stalk. Shot was between 3 & 10 yards.

15-Nov-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I didn’t use a recurve on my s-n-s grizzly hunt, this past Spring, but I was certainly within recurve range, when I shot him. I totally agree with Pat’s sentiments. The added adrenaline rush of being on the same playing field (so to speak) was the biggest selling point on my decision to go s-n-s vs the baited route.

16-Nov-21
As noted above, I killed a brownie on a baited hunt. Never hunted them spot and stalk. The baited hunt was plenty exciting for for me. I saw numerous black bears and several browns, all at 10-30 yards. The me, that’s exciting.

16-Nov-21
Pat - I 100% agree with your comments

Grizzly on the ground gets a hat tip from me for the reasons you stated

I choose baited because of the higher success rate and my desire to get a bear. That being said if I ever do it again it will be spot and stalk for the challenge and experience.

• Sitka Gear