Wv hillbilly 10-Jan-22
bentstick54 10-Jan-22
T Mac 10-Jan-22
Wv hillbilly 13-Jan-22
Shiloh 13-Jan-22
Wv hillbilly 13-Jan-22
Shiloh 13-Jan-22
10-Nov-21
Think I’ve been doing a trapping thread for four or five years now. Had a great bow season so far and even a good rifle hunt. Time to get after some critters. Season in Ohio starts today. I was out at 12:01 last night and started setting some steel. Mostly some muskrat sets and a couple blind sets for coon or mink. Can’t wait to see what’s waiting when I get home from work. I’ll get some snares and footholds out for yotes this weekend. I’ll add some pics of some bow kills so far and follow up with some critters as we go. Anyone else trapping or snaring please share as well.

10-Nov-21

Wv hillbilly 's embedded Photo
Wv buck
Wv buck

10-Nov-21
Good luck!

10-Nov-21

Youngest daughter with a wv doe she shot. My favorite hunting is with the kids making memories.
Youngest daughter with a wv doe she shot. My favorite hunting is with the kids making memories.

10-Nov-21

Killed a buck in Ohio the evening before we left for a rifle elk and mule deer hunt in co.
Killed a buck in Ohio the evening before we left for a rifle elk and mule deer hunt in co.

10-Nov-21

Shot my first mule deer this year. All four of us that went filled our md tags. The snows had pushed the elk down. Didn’t have any luck with them. Had a great trip with family and friends.
Shot my first mule deer this year. All four of us that went filled our md tags. The snows had pushed the elk down. Didn’t have any luck with them. Had a great trip with family and friends.

10-Nov-21

My friend killed a once in a lifetime md on the trip. His first trip west and first md. 32” wide. Great time spent with my brother, cousin and friend.
My friend killed a once in a lifetime md on the trip. His first trip west and first md. 32” wide. Great time spent with my brother, cousin and friend.

10-Nov-21

Good times!
Good times!

10-Nov-21
Oh those poor coyotes are in trouble!!! I plan on setting early December for coyotes. I have 2 otter tags as well and plan on setting for them as well.

10-Nov-21
Matt I think all the yotes in wi moved to Ohio to get away from you! Good luck this year bud.

10-Nov-21
I wish!!!! There is no shortage. Trap 20 and 30 move in.

10-Nov-21

Got two rats and a coon. Set a few more rat traps and half dozen yote snares this evening.
Got two rats and a coon. Set a few more rat traps and half dozen yote snares this evening.

10-Nov-21

First snare of the year
First snare of the year

10-Nov-21
Always enjoy following along thanks for sharing.

10-Nov-21
How much you gettin for a Muskrat these days. In 1977 i was gettin $6.00 a piece. $25 for a coon, around $30 for fox. Bought a car and a motorcycle when i turned 16 with my earnins.. Good Times

10-Nov-21
Always enjoy following along thanks for sharing.

10-Nov-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Lip squeaked this guy in from across the field, this morning. He came flying in, but wouldn’t stop. I barked at him to stop him, but he picked me off, and wheeled and headed back the way he came in, at a pretty good clip….He didn’t make it.

10-Nov-21

Good shooting troy. I poked one earlier this year. Missed his buddy.
Good shooting troy. I poked one earlier this year. Missed his buddy.
Empty freezer. Prices are always up and down. Last year I had a 1.75$ average for coon and 3 something for rats. The yotes dropped from 4 year 50$ average to a 25$ average. Oh well I’d still do it if they were 0$.

10-Nov-21
wow.. That seems so low but if u do it to get rich you better find a new hobby. Thanks for sharin your pics and story.

11-Nov-21
I love this yearly thread!

11-Nov-21
I took two coyotes in about a week ago and got $0! My third generation fur buyers connection in Canada is no longer buying coyotes this year bc PETA got them to cave into their pressure. No more parkas with fur around the hood! On a good note, I hate coyotes enough were that won't stop me. They will be used as fertilizer from now on and the eagles will have plenty to eat out in the fields...

11-Nov-21

Got three more rats this evening. Set another dozen traps for them. Been raining all evening. Gonna be a mess checking tomorrow evening
Got three more rats this evening. Set another dozen traps for them. Been raining all evening. Gonna be a mess checking tomorrow evening

11-Nov-21
Thanks for the support fellas! November mm. It’s a shame but that’s reality now. Sportsman have kept their mouths shut about everything for so long and are divided on everything. We’re dying from thousands of small cuts. Before I’m in the ground I’ll bet trapping will be illegal in most states. Bow hunting won’t be far behind. Hope I’m wrong.

12-Nov-21

Good luck to everyone out today and this weekend!
Good luck to everyone out today and this weekend!

12-Nov-21
Always enjoy your trapping threads!

12-Nov-21

Got two more rats today. Had to use scuba gear to get them. Set up a bunch of snares and a couple traps on one of my favorite properties this evening. Gonna be a song dog to skin tomorrow.
Got two more rats today. Had to use scuba gear to get them. Set up a bunch of snares and a couple traps on one of my favorite properties this evening. Gonna be a song dog to skin tomorrow.
Thanks deerhunter!

12-Nov-21

Found some tracks.
Found some tracks.

12-Nov-21

Always set on sign. I found a rock in the fence row and dropped it near the tracks. If the grinners and coons stay out they’ll be a yote soon.
Always set on sign. I found a rock in the fence row and dropped it near the tracks. If the grinners and coons stay out they’ll be a yote soon.

12-Nov-21

13-Nov-21
Double post

13-Nov-21
The last year I trapped I got 9 otter and they brought 60-65 dollars apiece. Had 64 beavers and they were 15-25 dollars. Red fox could bring 50 dollars and the best year for racoons they were bringing 25 dollars. Black muskrats got up to 11 dollars. I don't trap any more except problem beavers and I live trap some racoons for a friend coon hunter. He trains his puppies with them. Once in a while I catch a beaver for the table, they are good eatin.'

13-Nov-21

That’s more gooder. 8 rats 3 coon and one yote.
That’s more gooder. 8 rats 3 coon and one yote.
Shuteye I wish prices would get up to that again.

13-Nov-21
Always love this thread! Got a few beavers for a farmer on the river in October but so far that's it. Our fur bearer season doesn't open till December 1st. Goodluck look forward to following along.

14-Nov-21

14-Nov-21

Pretty decent day. Four yotes. Two in traps two in snares. 2 coon and four rats.
Pretty decent day. Four yotes. Two in traps two in snares. 2 coon and four rats.

15-Nov-21

15-Nov-21
Nothing today. Need time to move some rat traps around but work gets in the way. Been seeing a lot of deer out and about.

16-Nov-21

Two rats and a coon. I’d set up more but I’ll be limited on time this weekend. It’s youth gun season and my youngest daughter critter wants to go.
Two rats and a coon. I’d set up more but I’ll be limited on time this weekend. It’s youth gun season and my youngest daughter critter wants to go.

17-Nov-21
Great stuff!

17-Nov-21
Nothing today. Not very exciting without a catch or two. Oh well gives me time to haul some wood to the house and shed and tidy up the shed a little. The dog did have a stray cat treed when I got home. He hates cats and grinners. Gonna put in a few sets at a marsh by my place tomorrow evening.

17-Nov-21

18-Nov-21

Yote had mange or something going on. Big patch on its back with no fur
Yote had mange or something going on. Big patch on its back with no fur
Got two coon and one yote today

18-Nov-21

Had a visitor at two sets. That can walk anywhere they want in the state. It’s getting them to step on 2” of it that’s the challenge.
Had a visitor at two sets. That can walk anywhere they want in the state. It’s getting them to step on 2” of it that’s the challenge.

18-Nov-21

Almost!
Almost!

19-Nov-21
Dang left handed yotes always miss the pan. I always set for right handed yotes cause 99% are right handed. Both pics show the print on the left side of the pan. Got in 18 new rat sets at a marsh last night before dark. Lot of sign there. Even walked up on a small buck in knee deep water in the cattails.

19-Nov-21

The coon by the coyotes head weighs 16.9 lb
The coon by the coyotes head weighs 16.9 lb
Got three coon. One yote and a rat. A mink ate part of it so it was ruined. I’ll post a couple pics of the yote. If anyone is interested in guessing it’s weight I’ll send the closet person a half dozen snares. Let’s say Sunday evening at 7 I’ll post a pic of the weight and who was the closest.

19-Nov-21

He’s probably the heaviest so far this year.
He’s probably the heaviest so far this year.

19-Nov-21
Gonna be a fun day tomorrow! It’s youth gun season here. My youngest daughter Critter has a tag and hasn’t killed a Ohio buck yet. She’s 12. She passed her hunter safety class when she was 6. She’s killed a few WV deer but nothing in Ohio yet. She wants the first one to be a buck. Between volleyball and her robotics team at school she made time to hunt 6 different evenings with me this year. Unfortunately nothing showed up but we had good times. To top it off her cousin is coming up from wv to hunt the weekend also. Two 12 year old Tom boys! It’s gonna be interesting.

19-Nov-21
WVhilbilly, are those coons prime yet? Ive been waiting to set since last year none of my coon catch was prime until Thanksgiving. Central Ohio

19-Nov-21
If you have a stream that isn't real wide, find a log crossing the stream and set a snare on it. I used to cut a sapling and put it in the deepest part of the water. Set your snare, hooked to the sapling and hold it in place with a piece of bailing wire. With the bailing wire you can put the snare exactly where you want it and hold it in place. I make the snare wire long enough for the fox to get in the water. It won't last long and will die quickly in the water. A coon will tear up a lot of stuff but will be there in the water dead. I never had to dye the snare and could catch fox the first night it was set. When dirt hole setting for fox I found that when you catch one the set improves and you can get two or three more from the same spot. I also found that if you set a second trap away from the hole would often catch another fox. I also never shoot a fox. I had a long handle trowel and if you wack a fox across the bridge of his nose with the handle, he will go down like a rock. Put your foot on his neck and your heel on his chest right behind his front leg. In a minute or two he will be dead and no bullet holes. I also cut my chain links down real short so they can't lunge. Try it, you will like it.

20-Nov-21
Good luck Hillbilly. Always enjoy your threads.

20-Nov-21
Thanks fellas. Molsonarcher two of the coon have been blue the rest are good. Deer 1 critter 0. Gonna check traps and head back out around 2:30. We seen two yotes this morning a possum and a pile of turkey n squirrels. Was a fun time.

Anyone gonna guess the weight on that yote? It’s more than 25& less than 45.

20-Nov-21

Two more yotes and two rats.
Two more yotes and two rats.
Critter and I are back in the tree. We look like two pumpkins. Should be a good evening.

20-Nov-21
WV thanks for the update. I set a few traps today so hoping to add to your thread tomorrow! Good luck getting you daughter a deer. Hope it’s a giant!

20-Nov-21
Matt - I always enjoy seeing this thread. Have you ever tried putting something on top of the trap bed off to the side of where the pan is to help guide their foot onto the trap? A light colored pebble about the size of a dime or a piece of briar (with thorns on it), for example.

20-Nov-21
Good job on the trapline. I'd guess 37 pounds. One of these years I'll have enough time to commit to running my traps and cables on my deer property.

20-Nov-21
Critter got it done! Then we took the girls coon hunting with dogs. I’ll follow up tomorrow. It’s way past bedtime and it’s gonna be early taking her cousin Morgan out in the morning.

21-Nov-21
32 pounds is my guess.

21-Nov-21
Hojo i do that. However, i mainly run dogproof traps for coon. Most everyone has dogs where i trap and its much easier not to have to deal with that phone call. I pinched a housecat once and that conversation was not fun.

21-Nov-21

molsonarcher's embedded Photo
This mornings result. Pretty fair for only having 10 traps out. Should have had another rat but he managed to rotate my 110 90 degrees and slip past. He was looking at me while i removed his friend.

21-Nov-21
Good catch molsonarcher! Getting ready to go check mine now

21-Nov-21

Not the biggest one but that smile is worth a million bucks!
Not the biggest one but that smile is worth a million bucks!

21-Nov-21
Nice picture! Congrats to the "Deer Slayer"

21-Nov-21
Fantastic deer! Congrats to your daughter.

21-Nov-21

Got two rats and a yote today.
Got two rats and a yote today.
Thanks fellas. Funnest hunt I’ve had this year.

21-Nov-21
32.5#

21-Nov-21

Looks like stringcheesehead is the closest. If you wanna pm me with the address you want the snares sent I’ll get them made and in the mail this week.

22-Nov-21

Only one coon today
Only one coon today

23-Nov-21
One mushrat today. Set half a dozen more snares. Working half a day tomorrow. Gonna go set up on a state marsh for rats and run it till Sunday. Weather looks like I’ll have some ice to fight. A buddy that shoots a lot of 3d and our state league with me is gonna go give it a try.

24-Nov-21

2 rats, 1 coon, 1 chipmunk 1st chipmunk for me

24-Nov-21
Good thing that you are not in PA as chipmunks are protected!

24-Nov-21

One coon today
One coon today
Good catch molsonarcher. I got about 30 rat sets in a new place this evening. See what the ice does to me the next few days.

24-Nov-21
WV, I had ice yesterday and this am. Man it makes good bubble trails to see the best runs. Good luck. My rat spot is tapped out and I can’t find any more close enough to get after.

24-Nov-21
Just put out my first six sets this afternoon....looking forward to checking them in the AM.

25-Nov-21

Great time with Kassidy. She’s pretty happy with the amount of meat we got from her deer. I’m pretty happy with the time spent with her.
Great time with Kassidy. She’s pretty happy with the amount of meat we got from her deer. I’m pretty happy with the time spent with her.
It’s a good time to take a pause and thank God for everything he does for us all. Happy thanksgiving! Molsonarcher if your very close to the Delaware wildlife area there’s a bunch of rats there in the ponds throughout. Good luck medicinemann. Let’s see some pics. I only had four wring offs today. Set a bunch more rat sets in the rain. Critter helped me cut her deer up and get it processed. Got it in the freezer and gonna can some. Frying up some loin now

25-Nov-21
Looking good!

26-Nov-21
1 possum today Nasty weatger last nite Hopefully you guys had a good check

26-Nov-21
Deliverance, Billy Redden --What happened to him / Early life Redden was born in Rabun County, Georgia, on October 13, 1956.[citation needed]

Career At the age of fifteen, he was discovered by Lynn Stalmaster, who was scouting for the movie Deliverance. Stalmaster recommended Redden to the director John Boorman, though Redden was not an albino child as Boorman had requested, and Redden was cast.[1]

He portrayed a banjo-playing "local" during the film's famous "dueling banjos" scene. Boorman felt that Redden's skinny frame, large head, and almond-shaped eyes made him the natural choice to play the part of an "inbred from the back woods." Because Redden could not play the banjo, he wore a special shirt which allowed a real banjo player to hide behind him for the scene, which was shot with carefully chosen camera angles that would conceal the player, whose arms were slipped around Redden's waist to play the tune.[2] The hidden banjo player was shown playing "clawhammer" style, while the soundtrack had the banjo music as three finger "Earl Scruggs" style.

After Deliverance, Redden was cast in Lamberto Bava's 1984 film Blastfighter. The film was recorded in and around Clayton, Georgia, and many people recall it as a mixture of Deliverance and First Blood.

Redden next appeared in Tim Burton's 2003 film Big Fish. Burton was intent on getting Redden, as he wanted him to play the role of a banjo-playing "welcomer" in the utopian town of Spectre. Burton located Redden in Clayton, where he was part-owner of the Cookie Jar Café, and also worked as a cook and dishwasher.

In 2004, Redden made a guest appearance on Blue Collar TV, playing a car repairman named Ray in a "Redneck Dictionary" skit. He represented the word "raisin bread" (as in "Ray's inbred"). He played a banjo in the skit.

In 2009, Redden was cast as a banjo player in Ace Cruz's film Outrage: Born in Terror.

In 2012, 40 years after the release of Deliverance, Redden was interviewed in association with a documentary, The Deliverance of Rabun County (2012). It explored the feelings of people in Rabun County four decades later about the 1972 film. Redden said that though Deliverance was the best thing that happened to him, he never saw much money from the movie:

I'd like to have all the money I thought I'd make from this movie. I wouldn't be working at Walmart right now. And I'm struggling really hard to make ends meet.[3]

Noting some locals objected to the stereotypes in the movie, Redden said that the people in Rabun County were good people:

We're not a bad people up here, we're a loving people. Rabun County is a pretty good town. It's peaceful, not a lot of crime going on, just a real peaceful town. Everybody pretty much gets along with everybody.[3]

26-Nov-21
Paul what's your point?

26-Nov-21
Paul is just answering the earlier question of what happened to the creepy kid from "Deliverance"? Now we know the rest of the story, thanks Paul. Enjoying this post and looks like a job well done with the doe, lots of good eating there!

26-Nov-21

Tough critters.
Tough critters.
Decent day. Had nine rats and a three legged yote.

26-Nov-21
Thats a great day WV!

26-Nov-21
David, Back in the day, ie, 1950s a rat brought 75 cents to a $1.25. What now?

26-Nov-21
Thanks molsonarcher. Paul in the past I’ve got 14$ for a good rat. Last year I had 3.75$ average. This year looks to be the same. I had another rat eaten by a mink today. Gonna pull all the rat traps on Sunday and knock down all the snares until after deer gun season is over. Then I’ll get serious about catching some yotes.

27-Nov-21
Awesome stuff!

27-Nov-21

27-Nov-21

Lot of ice today. It’s a workout high stepping and breaking ice for 3 miles
Lot of ice today. It’s a workout high stepping and breaking ice for 3 miles

27-Nov-21

No yotes today. Seen one when checking a spot this morning. Was running the other direction. Got 16 rats. Gonna fry up a few on the shed stove after skinning them
No yotes today. Seen one when checking a spot this morning. Was running the other direction. Got 16 rats. Gonna fry up a few on the shed stove after skinning them

27-Nov-21

Yep.
Yep.

27-Nov-21
Ain’t kidding ya. First time I’ve tried it and I won’t throw another one away. It’s good. Mix between rabbit and squirrel but real tender.

27-Nov-21
Well I got 8 sets out today for rats. Hoping for a couple in the morning.

28-Nov-21
Dave, that is what a truck bed should look like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Used a lot.

28-Nov-21
Nada for me today

28-Nov-21

1 yote 2 coon and 6 rats today. I’ll be back after the yotes next Monday after gun season.
1 yote 2 coon and 6 rats today. I’ll be back after the yotes next Monday after gun season.
Yes sir Paul! Keep at em molsonarcher. I hate pull day but gotta do it before gun season. Made pretty good time at it today. Got everything put away and most of the fur put up already.

06-Dec-21

Muskrat pelt. One of my favorites. Close to one of the softest furs out there.
Muskrat pelt. One of my favorites. Close to one of the softest furs out there.
Couldn’t take it anymore yesterday and set two snare properties back up. Put in 8 sets and three coon sets on a new property as well. Helped a friend set up one of his properties as well. I had two coon today and a grinner. Scott had one coon. I made it home in time today to set up a fourth property. Ran out of snares there. Could of set a dozen more on it. Hopefully start stacking up the yotes this week.

07-Dec-21

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Yesterday's catch
Yesterday's catch
Sunday
Sunday
Finally got some steel out Saturday 9 DP's and 6 1.5 LS. This weekend once the varmints have been thinned some more I'll set some bobcat, fox, and coyote sets. Also have a couple landowners that need some beaver cleared just been to hot need to get out there soon.

07-Dec-21
Great work fellas!

07-Dec-21

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
I just got my red coyote bomber hat from Jeff Miller in ND. Had to replace my old one.

He made me a nice skunk one also.

The weather is getting cold enough to finish my bow season wearing it.

I’ll have to hide when walking though.

07-Dec-21
Nice catch pushcoarcher. Awesome to see the kids involved! Thanks Midwest. Altitude sickness it looks like Jeff does some good work. Sweet hat. Got nothing today. Hopefully they’ll be a truckload tomorrow. It’s just a matter of time now. Good luck everyone.

08-Dec-21

Pretty critters. I don’t target them since we don’t have a lot. Get a few every year in yote sets.
Pretty critters. I don’t target them since we don’t have a lot. Get a few every year in yote sets.
Got a fox today and Scott drug in a mushrat. I’m starting to get the shakes it’s been so long since I shot a yote.

09-Dec-21
Nice red. Been leaving them go in recent years. Population is too low since the coyotes moved in.

09-Dec-21

Man I’m glad I have this bomber today Jeff Miler, you da man.

09-Dec-21
One coon and one rat today.

10-Dec-21
Keep after the fur!!! I'm sitting this season out. Setting otter traps last week, I hurt my leg. In doing so, my body is now throwing blood clots!!! No playing with knives and putting myself in spots where I could make the recovery take any longer. I will be keeping tabs on the thread so keep the pictures coming.

10-Dec-21
Altitude Sickness it looks great!!!

10-Dec-21

Told Scott I was gonna cut off one of my toes if I didn’t get one today Got two yotes and three coon. Scott drug in 1 coon and a rat
Told Scott I was gonna cut off one of my toes if I didn’t get one today Got two yotes and three coon. Scott drug in 1 coon and a rat

11-Dec-21

Pic from yesterday
Pic from yesterday

11-Dec-21

Got 4 rats and a yote today
Got 4 rats and a yote today

12-Dec-21

Three rats and a coon. Scott picked up a coon also
Three rats and a coon. Scott picked up a coon also

13-Dec-21
Got critters deer head finished yesterday evening. Found the bullet between the hide and off side shoulder when I cut it up. I glued it and the shell casing on the plaque. Gonna give it to her this evening and get it hung in her room

13-Dec-21

13-Dec-21

Got two coon and a yote. Scott drug in two yotes a coon and a rat.

14-Dec-21

One yote today. Biggest so far this year.
One yote today. Biggest so far this year.

14-Dec-21

15-Dec-21

Got another big one today. Scott got a coon

15-Dec-21

15-Dec-21
Great job.... keep taking out those coyotes and saving the fawns!

16-Dec-21

Got some cat and coyote sets out Saturday and Sunday. Connected on a coyote in a cat set this morning and a nice coon.

16-Dec-21

Got another one today. Scott has one also and a red fox. He’s got one last property to check yet before dark.
Got another one today. Scott has one also and a red fox. He’s got one last property to check yet before dark.
Thanks November mm. Nice catch pushcoarcher. I’ve always been surprised by the amount of hunters that don’t do much predator control on their property. People spend countless hours and money on habitat improvement and food plots. Wonder why the lack of interest in predator control?

17-Dec-21
Nothing today. Gave me time to shoot in a 300 league at the local shop. Ended up winning the hunter class. Gotta get shooting a lot more the first OAA shoot is at the end of the month. Supposed to rain all night and tomorrow. Gonna need a boat to check the line tomorrow.

18-Dec-21
I got skunked again. Luckily Scott hooked up on a yote,coon and two rats.

18-Dec-21

Buckiller's embedded Photo
Finally scored today. They've been whooping me with footholds so I set some cables and got one. Hopefully more to come

19-Dec-21

That’s more gooder. Two yotes and a rat today
That’s more gooder. Two yotes and a rat today
Good deal buckiller. Keep at em.

19-Dec-21
Man, David, you are knocking the absolute tar outa those yotes! Good for you. Its alot of work and I respect that . I do miss the trap line.

19-Dec-21
Thanks buckeye. Your right it’s a pile of work. But everyone I catch saves a bunch of critters. We don’t have much of a deer population around me so everyone I can save is a plus.

19-Dec-21
How many traps do you have out at one time WV??

19-Dec-21
Shiloh I’m running around 40 snares right now. Half dozen rat sets. Only one coon set right now. My friend Scott started trapping last year has about 25 snares out and a dozen rat sets. I’ve pulled all my footholds for yotes due to the wet weather we’ve had lately. I plan on setting 30 more snares after Christmas.

19-Dec-21
To add to Shiloh's question how many properties are those 40 snares on? What kind of snares are you running? 1x19? 7x7?

19-Dec-21
I’ve got five different spots set up now. After Christmas I’m gonna expand to three or more spots and pull one. At that point they should start running around looking for love. I’m running 7x7 cable.

20-Dec-21
Is snaring your preferred method?? I only have experience with foot hold sets, but I have purchased some snares and I am interested in trying them. We have lots of clear cut areas.

20-Dec-21
Shiloh. I enjoy setting traps for them. However it’s more efficient setting snares. I can put up four snares in the time it takes to make a set. The equipment takes up a lot less space and the weather doesn’t affect the snares as much. If the clear cut has started growing back you should have some good trails through it. Make your loop 8” around and 8” off the ground. It will help avoid deer. Hope you catch a truckload.

20-Dec-21
That's what I was hoping you would say. I need to be more efficient putting them out and don't need to have to worry about the rain. I am pretty pressed for time, but the good thing is that once I get them set my dad can help me run them.

20-Dec-21

Wish I could run snares. Oklahoma is a great outdoor state but our trapping laws favor dog hunters a bit to heavily. I know a bunch of guys who will go out and wail on a predator call a couple times a year but I don't think most want to deal with all the work of a trap line. Been slow but got a pretty cat this morning and caught my first rabbit in a foothold.

20-Dec-21

Another yote today. Scott picked up a mushrat.
Another yote today. Scott picked up a mushrat.
Nice catch pushcoarcher. It’s almost as hard to keep the rabbits out of footholds as possums here.

21-Dec-21

A yote and a possum this morning.

21-Dec-21
Good deal. Nothing for me today Got some snares made and straightened up the shed this evening.

22-Dec-21
Nothing again today.

22-Dec-21
Great question WV about the lack of interest in predator control. I used to ask the same question. Just about every deer hunter I know hangs up the guns/bows as soon as the season is over and does nothing to eradicate predators. I got sick and tired of very low fawn recruitment around my place so I bought a thermal and now it's hunting season 365 days a year! I blasted 18 coyotes last year (16 within 1 square mile of my land) and I'm at 17 for this year. I get as much fun out of shooting the yotes as I do a big buck!! I wish you were my neighbor!!!

23-Dec-21
It’s a lot of work and takes a lot of time to trap especially foot hold types sets. That’s why most people don’t fool with it.

23-Dec-21

Shiloh I think you hit the nail on the head. Novembermadman I could use a couple neighbors like you as well. I got skunked again today. Luckily Scott drug one in.

24-Dec-21

Got a double today about 20 yards apart. Scott got blanked.
Got a double today about 20 yards apart. Scott got blanked.

25-Dec-21

28# female Christmas eve. Added a few more cables and footholds to the line today. Merry Christmas!

25-Dec-21
Good deal buckiller. Merry Christmas everyone! Got two more song dogs today.

26-Dec-21

Scott’s dog.
Scott’s dog.
I didn’t have anything today. Scott got one and a mushrat. I set up 14 more snares on two new properties today. Supposed to rain for the next two days straight. Gonna need scuba gear to check the line. Beaver season opened today. Was supposed to set up a property for a farmer that lets me hunt but the water is out of the banks already. Hopefully it’ll go down enough to set up on Friday.

27-Dec-21

I got a mud ball Scott got one and a mink.
I got a mud ball Scott got one and a mink.
Got half a dozen more out on a new property today.

28-Dec-21

28-Dec-21
Nothing today.

29-Dec-21
Got four coon today.

29-Dec-21
What is your total tally so far, WV?

30-Dec-21

Novembermadman 's embedded Photo
Novembermadman 's embedded Photo
#18 tonight for me. One more and I will have a new personal best for the year.

30-Dec-21

Here’s the tally so far. Hopefully the water goes down some today. I’ve gotta get after the beaver on a property for a farmer.
Here’s the tally so far. Hopefully the water goes down some today. I’ve gotta get after the beaver on a property for a farmer.
Hope ya get 20 more Novembermadman. Up to 36 yotes so far troy. Hopefully have some more today.

30-Dec-21
That's awesome WV.....that is a bunch of fawns saved around there for sure!! Keep it up....

30-Dec-21

Got my first double this morning

30-Dec-21

Good work buckiller. Keep at em! One coon one rat. Got some beaver sets out this evening. Bout due for a yote tomorrow.
Good work buckiller. Keep at em! One coon one rat. Got some beaver sets out this evening. Bout due for a yote tomorrow.

30-Dec-21
No many things uglier than a sopping wet coon. A wet turkey is close, but not quite as bad.

31-Dec-21

Your right on that troy. Especially when I might get 50 cents each out of them.

31-Dec-21

41.8lb and 42.9lb.
41.8lb and 42.9lb.
No yotes today. Got a happy farmer though.

31-Dec-21
Happy new year everyone. May god bless you and yours in the upcoming year!

31-Dec-21
Happy New Years to you too WV. Enjoyed following this thread. Got 3 dozen snare setups on the way.

31-Dec-21
Nice Beaver ! ..........

01-Jan-22
Good luck Shiloh! Thanks blue spot. Got two coon and 30” of rain today. It’s a mess out there.

01-Jan-22
Question please...have dog proofs with marshmallows and maple syrup but am not catching anything. Caught 3 last month but none in the last 3 weeks. They walk right by them. Thought about dog food. Tried anchovies with no success. What are your thoughts please? Jim

01-Jan-22
I use dog or cat food and a splash of fish oil

02-Jan-22
Jim, try changing the bait up to dog or cat food. You can also order bandit bites from one of the supply houses. If that doesn’t work you could try a box trap or foothold. Some coon just won’t work the dp’s.

02-Jan-22

Four yotes and one coon today. Everything was a muddy mess. Scott had one and I got three.

02-Jan-22
Glad to see some one go to the work to do this.

02-Jan-22

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Called in 3 and smoked 2 the other night. They had some mange. Normally don’t see mountain dogs with mange

02-Jan-22

darktimber's embedded Photo
darktimber's embedded Photo
Freaking wind finally stopped blowing briefly in WY on New Years Eve. Called in 3, got 1. Wish I could hit the dang things…Guess I should practice a little more with the boom stick!

03-Jan-22
Strong work gentlemen. Glad to see some people after them.

03-Jan-22
Good work guys!

03-Jan-22

Yep. Scott picked up a yote as well.
Yep. Scott picked up a yote as well.

04-Jan-22

Got two more yotes today.
Got two more yotes today.

05-Jan-22

Another yote today.
Another yote today.

06-Jan-22
Nothing today. Try again tomorrow.

07-Jan-22

Small female. This was one of the first snares I set this year. Usually get a couple in this same spot every year.
Small female. This was one of the first snares I set this year. Usually get a couple in this same spot every year.
Got three today.

07-Jan-22

Number 2 at a ditch crossing I’ve been waiting on it to freeze or the water to go down so they can cross
Number 2 at a ditch crossing I’ve been waiting on it to freeze or the water to go down so they can cross

07-Jan-22

Number 3 on a trail that parallels the same ditch 100yards from number 2. None of them are rubbed and all have good fur
Number 3 on a trail that parallels the same ditch 100yards from number 2. None of them are rubbed and all have good fur
We have the first OAA shoot of the year this evening. I’ll be skinning them when I get home from it. The fur truck makes it’s stop near me on Friday next week. I’m gonna shut the line down probably Tuesday. Good luck to anyone still after them.

08-Jan-22

Just one today. Should of been shooting my bow instead of messing with the yotes. Shot a 294 out of 320 last night. Pitifully shooting

08-Jan-22

Doing some skulls now. One on the left is the oldest one for the year. One on the right is average. Bet she had a hard time eating.
Doing some skulls now. One on the left is the oldest one for the year. One on the right is average. Bet she had a hard time eating.

08-Jan-22

09-Jan-22

Just one today. Pulled two properties. Gonna try to pull the rest tomorrow.
Just one today. Pulled two properties. Gonna try to pull the rest tomorrow.

09-Jan-22
David: really enjoy following along, you are efficient.

09-Jan-22
What an old snaggle tooth she was. Makes you wonder what she has done or gone through to get to that point. Really makes you appreciate how tough they are and their will to survive. But admittedly their other option sucks and is a big motivator.

I appreciate being able to tag along on your line and admire the catches with no boots full of cold water and extra mud in the truck. Checking traps back in high school and college was always a treat and an education and everything else all rolled into one. As all the other trappers on here have mentioned.

10-Jan-22
Thanks fellas. Gonna try to pull the rest of the line this evening. Hopefully have one more to skin this year.

10-Jan-22
We’ll, that’s how it happened. Got everything pulled this evening. Ended up with two today. Hate to shut it down but indoor leagues and 3d are starting up. I’ve got a pile of honey do’s to get done and firewood to cut for next year. Hope y’all enjoyed following along again.

10-Jan-22

#50 for the year.
#50 for the year.

10-Jan-22

Scott giving 51 a hair cut.
Scott giving 51 a hair cut.

10-Jan-22
Yes sir, enjoyed following along. Looks like another good season.

10-Jan-22
Great thread once again and always enjoy following along. Enjoy your off season!

13-Jan-22

Got everything brushed and ready to go to the auction last night. 52 yotes 46 coon 77 rats 1 mink 2 fox 4 beaver.
Got everything brushed and ready to go to the auction last night. 52 yotes 46 coon 77 rats 1 mink 2 fox 4 beaver.

13-Jan-22
What kind of money will y’all get for that haul?

13-Jan-22
Can’t get the picture to turn. Shiloh probably around a 30$ average on the yotes. Hopefully at least 1$ average on the coon. Something around 4$ average on the rats. Not much for the fox or beaver.

13-Jan-22
Gotcha........at least that will pay for some traps and gas

• Sitka Gear