Butcherboy 24-Nov-21
Butcherboy 25-Nov-21
70lbdraw 25-Nov-21
2Wild Bill 25-Nov-21
Al Dente Laptop 25-Nov-21
Butcherboy 25-Nov-21
Butcherboy 25-Nov-21
24-Nov-21
So I recently purchased a ARY VP210, after using it a bit I noticed that the pressure gauge wouldn't go below 0.08 which is right where the green starts on the gauge, the bottom of gauge and the green is 0.1, all the videos I have watched showed the gauge going way down into the green.

I called the techs from ARY to ask them why so we did some tests and all seemed good but he sent me a new gauge to install and try. Well that didn't change anything so he had me get into the machine and clean a couple of it's parts incase there was a little shard of metal somewhere, no change after that either. After all of that they just sent me a new machine which is doing the exact same thing.

I thought about it for a moment and that's when I wondered if altitude had any affect on the machines so I did a search and according to the "internet" altitude does have an affect on chamber vacs. I didn't find anything on altitude affecting the gauge or not but I wonder if the 0.08 is actually 0.1 at 6000 ft elevation or is it that I can only get 0.08 of the air out of the bags of meat at this elevation which means there could be a very small amount of ice in each bag of meat which is something I noticed with the first group of packaged meat. I could peg the gauge out at 0.08 for at least 10 to 15 seconds so I knew that was the max.

I am going to be calling the Tech up soon to tell them the issue still persists and I am looking forward to what they have to say but it blows my mind that the tech didn't think it may be an altitude issue right off the bat or at least before they sent a new machine out.

So I would like to know if others with chamber vacs have the same gauge issue and what elevation you are, if you don't have the issue and the gauge goes below 0.08 are you at a low elevation?

24-Nov-21
I have been having issues with regular vacuum sealers at altitude. I live at 7500’ and they just do not seem to work as well. Have tried several brands and they all have problems.

24-Nov-21
The lower end machines will have problems. My first one for my shop cost about $1,000 back in the late 90’s. I still have and use it to this day. My next one cost about $15,000 in 2006. It’s a bigun. I would rather spend a little more and get a nice table top vacuum chamber sealer that you can adjust the vacuum easier and the seal as well. Buy once cry once as the saying goes.

24-Nov-21
Maybe take some rubbing alcohol and wipe the gaskets downs to soften the material. And then see if there’s a difference

24-Nov-21
For me this machine was almost a grand and thats a huge expense, I expect this machine to preform for that price and I haven't heard or read a bad review anywhere. Butcherboy, will your machines bottom out the gauge at your elevation?, my understanding at this point which may or may not be right is that you can't go below the pressure of your elevation, like at 6000ft I can only get 0.08 on the gauge because the bottom end of the gauge is set for sea level.

cnelk, One test we did was to see if there was any leakage and it passed that so all the gaskets were good to go plus the new machine is exactly the same regarding the gauge, thats what made me start looking at elevation causing the issue.

I can't believe the ARY tech didn't catch this right away, especially before he sent a new machine out.

24-Nov-21
Atmospheric pressure changes with altitude. A simple pressure gauge will not show true vacuum at altitude, they are calibrated for sea level. A micron gauge would be the only true reading

24-Nov-21
I don’t have any problem with mine. I’m at 5600 ft. My old one would probably be about $2000 now if I were to buy one like it again. I can set the vacuum to be almost nothing to a 100% vacuum. I set it at almost no vacuum mostly when I seal a bag to marinate sliced jerky meat. My big one is double sided with multiple programs for different products.

24-Nov-21
So are you saying the bigger machines can go below the atmospheric pressure at your elevation? I had heard that you couldn't with chamber vacs but I have not verified it anywhere.

24-Nov-21
Altitude doesn’t seem to bother them. They use a really good vacuum pump. I can adjust the amount of vacuum I want by simply turning the knob or the electronic controls.

24-Nov-21

Butcherboy's embedded Photo

25-Nov-21

25-Nov-21
Can't tell, is it a compound gage? (-30hg - +30psi)

25-Nov-21
Could it be that at a higher elevation the lid isn't heavy enough to properly seal.

25-Nov-21
Just as with canning and baking, altitude will definitely affect atmospheric pressure, and adjustments be made accordingly. That being said, those higher end machines, should be manufactured to calibrate automatically for any fluctuation. For the record, I am envious of those chamber vacs. Good luck with resolving your issue.

25-Nov-21

Here’s a really nice one. I’m not sure of the cost but someone could sure get their use out of it and it would last a long time.

We buy $3000 binoculars, spotting scopes, bows and accessories, fancy trucks, kuiu, Sitka, boots, packs, etc. so why not invest in something that you can use for a ton of different packaging applications?

25-Nov-21

Or these ones.

• Sitka Gear