Lawdy 29-Nov-21
SteveB 30-Nov-21
Norseman 30-Nov-21
dm/wolfskin 01-Dec-21
Pop-r 02-Dec-21
timex 02-Dec-21
MDcrazyman 02-Dec-21
25-Nov-21
I had been hunting on my farm which is heavily wooded where I was at. I had about 35 acres in every direction. Keep in mind I was wearing A LOT of blaze orange (full jacket and hat). I had been stalking a small herd but it was getting too dark so I turned to head back to the house when "Boom-Boom" two quick shots blasted into the herd from directly across from me on the otherside of the herd. I herd the snap as one of the rounds passed over my right shoulder. Scared the hell outta me, I dropped flat cussing a blue streak. The shooter never said a word but I heard him/him tearing through the woods to get away. I went over today and hid some new cameras in the trees. People are crazy.

25-Nov-21
Glad your ok, I've had my share of not so friendly fire over the years.

25-Nov-21
If someone had done that to me I would have been tearing after him as he was tearing through the woods to get away.

25-Nov-21
Been there ..in a treestand on private property... slugs clipping the branches all around me!

25-Nov-21
Well it’s hard to measure almost, cause almost doesn’t matter.

25-Nov-21
Thank God you are ok. Some people are just stupid

25-Nov-21
Herd of what ?

25-Nov-21
Whitetail

25-Nov-21
Scary stuff. Glad it worked out ok. You should go bust that bad guy

25-Nov-21
My close call story was when I was bowhunting in a treestand behind some houses. A moron thought that a big round haybale was an appropriate backstop. Rounds ticked the limbs over my head. I about strangled myself on my safety rope as I climbed down and screamed and ran across the field to the shooter. All the butthead did was change his angle. I should have called law enforcement.

25-Nov-21
People have 0 common sense and half the time dont even care never mind even using their brain to think before they do. I was hunting at home a few years back and these guys put a drive on thru family’s private and posted land. I figured I was safer waiting Instand before climbing down saying anything. Well they started shooting and actually put two slugs in my tree about 8’ off the ground, and shot my 20’ climbing stick. Not the first time we’ve dealt with that group. It was the last tho.

26-Nov-21
One time in band camp……

26-Nov-21
I've never seen a herd of whitetail deer.

26-Nov-21
We have herds of them in CO. Not big, maybe 10-12 together.

Glad you're ok!

26-Nov-21
The closest I've ever been to being gunshot was during deer drives in gunsesason... Had a few close calls, one time within a few inches... Makes a man think what the heck he's doing in the woods at those times... No deer is worth life or injury...

26-Nov-21
What constitutes a herd?

26-Nov-21
Probably a herd of bucks.

26-Nov-21
There some real numb skulls out there

26-Nov-21
In defense of badguybuster, there's a couple family groups of 7 does and fawns that seem to hang together most of the time behind the house when they all run together flags up, they seem like a herd, and also during late winter when whitetails congregate together at a food source they are a herd...

26-Nov-21
I wasnt aware I needed "defense" for saying "a herd". Would you prefer "a group"? I mean, 8 deer all together is a herd as far as I know. Is there some unspoken numerical value assigned to the word?

26-Nov-21
Sorry dude, I was on your side.... Excuse me.... Geez...

26-Nov-21
Bullets are hard to pinpoint by listening to the sonic crack. You can hear it several hundred yards away and still be safe. I had a guy shoot at me and a buddy 3 times in Colorado once, at a range of 600 yards. Bullets were impacting ten yards below us.

26-Nov-21
Trespassers will never stop until the penalty is harsh. It's just like robbers nowadays, if You get robbed and shoot the robber your in trouble. We as a society have given in to the scumbag criminals. We are just suppose to let them take hard earned possessions and then have to try and Replace them. You almost died and yet nothing is doled out to the guy who illegally trespassed. Wouldn't that headline been a hoot, owner of farm shot by trespasser, damn shame. Next time hold the explitives and make like a hit deer, behind a tree of course and wait for the idiot to show himself.

27-Nov-21

27-Nov-21
I've seen in deep snow and the last part of January that deer group up or _ _ _ _ up as high a 60 deer. Call it what every you want.

27-Nov-21
5-9 = 'buncha' (deer). 10+ = 'herd'. (Looking out my back door.)

27-Nov-21

Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo

27-Nov-21
Waitaminnit….

A guy believes he was nearly shot by a trespasser…. and you guys wanna argue over what constitutes a herd?

Ooooooookay……

27-Nov-21
LB, you’re living in the wrong state. You won’t get arrested here for shooting a thief if he’s in your house or business unless he has posed no threat. In some circumstances you can even shoot him as he’s running away with your property. I love Texas ! :-)

27-Nov-21
Years ago I was hunting State land here in MI I was walking out at noon and I could see a guy in full hunter orange as was I across an opening as I was coming out. I looked at him as I broke cover and he had his rifle pointed at me with his scope. He pulled down as I looked at him. Scared the crap out of me.

27-Nov-21
Drycreek, I know Texas is a great state and I'd move there but it's so damn hot lol

28-Nov-21
To me there's a huge difference between a close call & almost dieing. When my heart stopped in the er during a heart attack I almost died. A bullet within feet of you is definitely a close call but so is going 55 mph on a 2 lane with nothing but the white lines painted on the road separating you from the car coming at you at 55 mph. Give that some thought the next time ya on a 55mph 2 lane. & yall thought a gun on exhibition in a courtroom was dangerous.

28-Nov-21
Does in Oklahoma run in “herds” as well.

28-Nov-21
Badguy, thank goodness it worked out well for you... some yrs ago some yahoo decided to shoot at a doe and 2 fawns in the middle of my road... they were in a bottom I was on a hill top in woods, they missed their targets and the slugs sailed over me 2 ft above my head, sounded like a couple bumble bees flying by.

28-Nov-21
Timex- I had planned to let your comment slide since you are clearly in poor health but i believe I will respond. That bullet passed close enough over my shoulder to feel it go by, so yeah, I nearly died. As to the rest of your comment, its absurd. Itll be people like you who cost us our hunting rights.

28-Nov-21
I don’t know if it’s accurate but I’ve heard that deaths from tree stand accidents outnumber hunters being killed by being shot six fold annually

28-Nov-21
Badguybuster sorry but your wrong in my opinion. First off my heart attack yes was very serious the bottom left side of my heart was 90+ blocked & I survived the widow maker but that was 11 years ago & with the exception of some fairly serious arthritis I'm doing just fine. From my teens into my 40s every weekend & holidays we drove deer in the nw VA mountains. Bow, muzzloader, rifles. Never ever had any safety issues 10-15 guys sometimes. Close quarters shooting at times absolutely. If you feel as though you almost died so be it that's your opinion & your entitled to it. Myself personally do not consider a close call with no bloodshed or trauma almost dieing. As far as my beliefs contributing to the demise of hunting well thats just hilarious I hunt more that just about anyone I know. Your incident with a careless hunter is very unfortunate but close don't count. I sincerely hope your handle doesn't imply that your in law enforcement cause clearly you'd not handle a combat or shootout situation well at all.

28-Nov-21
Your right the title had me expecting to read of injury, first responder intervention, trauma center visit, recover story…… hmmm something. Good your O-Kay.

Horrible scary experience to be sure But “ Almost died yesterday”, another newsroom headline looking for a story.

Stay safe!

28-Nov-21
Can we talk about how dumb the word “dieing” looks. If not, ok. But im kinda stuck on it…

28-Nov-21
The only time I seriously, I mean seriously thought I was gonna die was when the tree fell on me, the dozer I was on, and a 72,000 volt electric line at the same time. Blue fire was jumping from the cab to the hood and between the cab supports in front of my face. Each time the fire jumped it sounded like a .22 and burned the paint on both ends. That certainly felt like I was gonna die then and there but I think the Lord wanted me to kill some more deer, or maybe he pitied my wife and kids.

28-Nov-21
Your right the title had me expecting to read of injury, first responder intervention, trauma center visit, recover story…… hmmm something. Good your O-Kay.

Horrible scary experience to be sure But “ Almost died yesterday”, another newsroom headline looking for a story.

Stay safe!

28-Nov-21
Badguybuster-I assume by your handle are you a LEO? No way to pursue it officially?

28-Nov-21
Jebus H. Welcome to the Internet I guess.

Dude has a close call with a firearm. But y’all are arguing over herds and if he had a close enough call to call it near death.

Badguy, scary stuff. I had a guy - adult friend of an uncle - walking next to me when I was 13-14yo kid. He didn’t safe his rifle, tripped and fired it. It buzzed me so close it scrambled my head and knocked me to the ground. Not a whole lot of fun.

28-Nov-21
“dieing” is so much worse than dying. Godspeed.

29-Nov-21
Up here, 2 deer constitute a herd. Three are a gift from God. We have so few hunters up here this year, with very few deer and no doe days, that one could almost wear a deer costume, but I wouldn’t try it. I always walk out with a super bright headlamp, and never move until it is dark. Started doing that after two hunters put me into the hospital in 72 for a long stay.

30-Nov-21
LBshooter +1 a'Trespassers will never stop until the penalty is harsh"

16 years ago we bought acreage in Ohio that the current owner hadn't been patrolling for years. It was surprising to learn just how many "trespassers" that assumed no one patrolling means "use whenever you want". Our kind neighborly requests for the first couple of years seemed to go well until we saw (multiple people) them there again. So my son resorted to the "make them think you are crazy enough and they won't come back and will tell everyone else just how crazy you are" education tool. Let's just say that it was extremely effective and in short order the trespassing stopped and we never had the issue again. I only wish some of those encounters were video taped....talk about viral videos!

30-Nov-21
Probably a herd of bucks.

01-Dec-21
If you dropped to the ground why didn't he come and get his prize ?

02-Dec-21
I've seen herds of whitetail well over 100 head many times. Probably close to 250 before but didn't count them. It's a sight to see!

02-Dec-21
In my area of va in the late season - late winter the deer (yard up) is what we call it. Not sure the reason but yes they gather in large numbers.

Don't really understand how this thread got on the subject.

02-Dec-21
BadGuy, this is the internet, everyone wants to just be the spell checker or the punctuation professor or a watch that sounds like a dick. Everyone knows better and more and is a much better hunter. Its just where we have ended up. It sucks you almost took a bullet to the dome, glad your ok and just don't let the keyboard tough guys piss you off, the death statitions either they are the most annoying.

• Sitka Gear