orionsbrother 30-Nov-21
TGbow 01-Dec-21
Razorsharp123 01-Dec-21
JL 01-Dec-21
Huntiam 03-Dec-21
Chuckster 03-Dec-21
writer 03-Dec-21
29-Nov-21
A buddy that I bow hunt with in Pike County IL hunted the first gun season. He and his buddy heard a couple of shots in the predawn dark. Later that morning he encountered a warden on the property.

The warden checked him out and asked about the early shots. They’d gotten a call. My buddy told him that it wasn’t them. They’d heard the shots but couldn’t pinpoint anything better than “somewhere that way”.

The warden got back to him later and told him that they found the poachers. They admitted to shooting a buck in the dark.

No idea how big the buck was, but there are some good ones running around there.

The warden told my buddy that they seized their guns, gear and truck and were currently being detained.

Non resident guys.

Guess they’re renting a car or something to get home.

Glad to see that whatever final punishment they get... usually pretty minimal... they’ve apparently got a good sized hassle to sort out just to get home.

It’s not my ground. I’m a guest on property near there. It wasn’t my deer either way... but it irks me and I’m glad they got busted.

Since they confessed, they should lose their hunting privileges. I’d guess there will be a lease opening up.

29-Nov-21
Wonder what kinda tale they’re gonna tell the wives when they come home sans guns and transportation ? I’d like to be a fly on the wall…….

29-Nov-21
Yep. Can’t imagine if they weren’t in on it together too. How about the conversation if you gotta walk home because because of a guy you were on a trip with did something asinine.

29-Nov-21
Good....this is the feel good story of the day on Bowsite!!

29-Nov-21
The last few firearms openers where I'm at always has a shot or two while it's still dark. This year was no exception. It's all private land there so I can see some landowner with a 300'+ extension cord going to a red light over a bait pile is flipping the switch on for a second or two. Yes.....they do that.

30-Nov-21
I seem to recall that one state (at least) based poaching fines on the size of the deer taken - big antlers cost a lot more than a doe.

Used to hear late evening shots on the eve of rifle season in a nearby state. Too dark for 'checking my sights'.

30-Nov-21
WV bases fine on size of antlers.

30-Nov-21
Glad they got caught. Hopefully fines fit the crime.

30-Nov-21
Ohio fines based on size as well

30-Nov-21
They will get all their stuff back,when they show,up at court. A fine and kicked loose. Nice that the wardens hit them hard and maybe the expense and hassle will teach them a lesson.

30-Nov-21
Michigan’s base fine for a buck is 1000.00. Add an additional 500 per point for a 8-10 point buck and 750 per point if it’s over 10. One poacher recently paid over 15 grand.

30-Nov-21
I could always tell when Delaware shotgun season was going to open. I live about two miles from the state line and I am in Maryland. They would drive right by my house and shine lights in my neighbor's field. They would shoot and leave, coming back later to get the deer. The game wardens would park in my back yard and my woods. They broke up the jacklighting. Don't see it as much now. They also set up their fake buck in my woods road and caught a bunch of shooters. Two were bowhunters and they lost three arrows in my woods. I never found the arrows but they got caught.

30-Nov-21
Can you prove that without a confession? Hearing gunshots in a direction?

30-Nov-21
I think the confession was key. I don’t think anyone saw it happen. My buddy and his friend were in the cabin and couldn’t tell where the shots came from. Someone else called and gave the warden the area.

I suspect the warden “triangulated” the sounds of the shots to figure out where to ask questions, but I don’t know.

I’m just glad they got caught.

30-Nov-21
2 guys busted in Wiscosin years ago. Full draw at night on a Deer, never shot. Busted. Everything confiscated except vehicle. Belonged to ones girlfriend was why. They came into my shop with all their archery confiscated list & price listed by DNR. All the prices were retail correct. They had option to purchase back at half retail or it went to public auction. I know they were fined and lost hunting rights for a time. This year wardens busted a tresspasser, 1st Ill. gun season with a crossbow,. Someone dropped him off so no vehicle around.. Story is they knew this guy as a poacher & been trying to get him for some time. No other news on this one. Real poacers have lots of tricks & are ruthless with no morals at all.

30-Nov-21
Glad they got caught….

From a Non-Resident guy. :)

30-Nov-21

JL's Link
FWIW....these are the CO reports from Michigan. A lot of good reading material on what folks will attempt to do with fish and game.

30-Nov-21
Glad they got caught….

From a Non-Resident guy. :)

30-Nov-21
TREESTANDWOLF - Nothing against Non-Resident Hunters. I hunt out of state every year.

I wasn’t including that as a smear on Non-Residents. I included that in reference to their truck being seized and them having tougher logistics or a longer walk home.

01-Dec-21
Glad they got caught. Never could understand why people do stupid stuff like that.

01-Dec-21
That link to the CO reports from Michigan is a barrel of laughs. Some not so bright folks walking amongst us.

01-Dec-21
^.....yup.....and people laugh at Floridians.

03-Dec-21
Heck you can prob shoot one after dark go through all the hassles of court and fines ..and in the end still come away cheaper than going to a quality outfitter these days…and get a hell of a lot more rush from it when the blue lights come on.. not sounding so bad to me I’ll bring the beer..

03-Dec-21
Great link JL. I could read that for hours.

03-Dec-21
Seized vehicles is pretty rare, though often reported and suggested.

• Sitka Gear