Whitetailaddict 04-Dec-21
SBH 04-Dec-21
Supernaut 04-Dec-21
Tracker 16-Dec-21
Tracker 16-Dec-21
Tracker 16-Dec-21
Tracker 16-Dec-21
30-Nov-21
For those using a rock climbing harness instead of a tree stand harness what are you happy with

30-Nov-21
Everything about it, hunting harnesses suck

30-Nov-21
I switched two years ago. The rock climbing harness is more comfortable, and I am not restricted by having the tether in my way when drawing back.

30-Nov-21
Way safer is the biggest advantage, there is absolutely no disadvantages to wearing one over a tree stand harness. So bottom line is I'm happy with everything about them.

30-Nov-21
Tether to tree is lower on a rock climbing harness, never gets in the way for shot behind the tree

30-Nov-21
I have no idea why anyone would use a treestand harness if you're including safety and comfort in your decision making matrix. If cost is the only metric, go with the free one that comes with many treestands.

30-Nov-21
I havent got a lot of experience with rock climbing harness but I have the Black Diamond Bod. I dont even notice I have it on. I cant stand having a full body harness tugging at my back. The tree tether never gets in the way.

30-Nov-21
Best decision I ever made switching over to my black diamond harness. Lighter, less cumbersome and just all around better imo. Wvarcher

30-Nov-21
So what do you all use and what extras are needed?

30-Nov-21
Great for adding layers. My recommendation for one would be to get one that has leg clips instead of step through.

30-Nov-21
Been using 1 for years. Black diamond.

30-Nov-21
Can someone show me how the rock climbing harness works? It appears the connection (rope) to the tree is in front of the harness. How do you shoot a bow with the rope in front? Do you place the rope under your arm & move it behind you??

30-Nov-21
It connects to harness at roughly belt line. So it plenty low not to be in way.

30-Nov-21
If you’re gonna buy a RC harness just by a saddle. Practically the same thing just now you have way more options. I’ve had all 3

Saddle > RC Harness > Regular Harness

01-Dec-21
Black diamond here as well and no complaints. Way less obtrusive than a harness and even less obtrusive than the tree saddle, IMO.

01-Dec-21
I think I'll buy one & give it a try. I'm still a little confused regarding how to shoot a bow with the tether/life line connected in front... When using a RC harness, is there a device that will let you down to the ground SLOWLY in the event of a fall? I tried the Wingman & Rescue One CDS ll & I don't like either one.

01-Dec-21
I switched a couple years ago to one also. Had an incident where I could not lean out enough for a shot on a buck because the tether stopped me. Plus, it is just inherently safer if you fall than a harness unless your an acrobat and have no issue getting those stirrups on while hanging so you don't cut blood flow to your legs!!!

01-Dec-21
c5ken there are lots of videos on using a RC harness. Look them up then it becomes very obvious how much simpler it is to shoot. I have a Black Diamond Alpine Bod and like it a lot. I use it with Lifelines and if I were ever to fall I would only be a foot or two down from the platform, facing the tree, literally on the climbing stick.

01-Dec-21
c5ken...... "I think I'll buy one & give it a try. I'm still a little confused regarding how to shoot a bow with the tether/life line connected in front... When using a RC harness, is there a device that will let you down to the ground SLOWLY in the event of a fall? I tried the Wingman & Rescue One CDS ll & I don't like either one."

I have a Black Diamond Alpine Bod.

I just move the tether to my rear, and have the carabiner attached to the lifeline at waist height.

I tried to add a video here without success.

Go to YouTube and search Black Diamond RC harness. It will walk you through.

01-Dec-21
I also have switched and wish I had done it long ago. I have two RC harnesses, and agree the leg strap clips are much easier to use than the step through leg loops which are cumbersome if you have on heavy clothes and large boots. The tether placement is a little bit of a learning curve but doesn't interfere when I shoot my bow. Just have to leave enough slack in the tether to allow complete side to side rotation on the stand

01-Dec-21
I switched over before last season and like them well enough, but are you guys modding the Black Diamond gear loops to use as lineman belt attachments? My harness has the aluminum D rings specifically for a lineman's belt, but I'm looking for a lighter-weight rig with the leg clips, etc...

01-Dec-21
I made the switch to a RCH 2 years ago (Black Diamond Alpine Bod) and am really happy. Feel safer and it's easier for me to use.

wooddamon1, From what I understand the gear loops on the Black Diamond ARE NOT safe to use as lineman belt attachments. I have heard of guys the have made their own lineman belt loops and attached them to the Black Diamond harness. Hopefully someone will jump on with some first hand experience.

01-Dec-21

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I cut off the gear loops on my BD Bod and sewed on a couple pieces of climbing rated tubular webbing for lineman loops. I inserted a piece of climbing rope in the loops to give them some stiffness and keep them opened up.

02-Dec-21

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
There are tree trimmers options too. The best brands cost $400-$500 But here is a decent one for a good price. Arborist saddles, like climbing saddles are designed to be weighted for lengthy periods of time. Tree saddles don’t need to be as light as climbing saddles. So some have more Metal that can make noise.

02-Dec-21
Midwest, that’s pretty creative. A safety reminder. This is of course Is obvious and redundant but important

Store this kind of gear in a good dry place away from rodents and sunlight. And solvents

And inspect it often Most climbing rigs recommendations are to Replace them every 5 yrs I know we don’t do that so inspect them

02-Dec-21
Thanks midwest! I knew someone here had made their own lineman loops, nice job!

02-Dec-21
So if your hanging from a RC harness due to a fall, is there any device that will slowly let you move to the ground like the Wingman or or Rescue One CDS does??

02-Dec-21
C5ken, There are many options to that system you describe

if you notice that is a rope secured to the back of the harness going all the way to the ground with a pile of rope on the ground you could make your own with repelling devices, both ends of the rope going to the ground

or tie a knot on your climbing harness with a long pigtail, with that long pigtail you tie a hitch on the other line going up and down. That can tether you to a tree or rock face. That hitch on the other length of rope opposite of the one tied to your harness allows you descend when used correctly. It’s easy but probably shouldn’t be done without proper instruction

I’ll try to find a pic for illustration

02-Dec-21
I took 1" tubular webbing and zip tie it around the belt part of the harness, with two loops at each end for linemans rope

02-Dec-21
Do you all use a good piece of climibing rope to connect yourself to the tree?

02-Dec-21
I have a tree rope I ordered from Safe Tree Hunt, mountain climbing grade rope. Connect to the belay loop in front of the harness, then to the tree just like standard harness. I find I have more freedom of movement with the RC harness compared to a full body harness.

02-Dec-21

C5ken, here is the option I was referring too. I don’t use this. But it’s the option I was talking about

A bowline or knot of choice at the harness. Leave a long pigtail to tie another hitch of choice on the line going to the ground. I didn’t tie the second hitch because this isn’t the proper place for instruction.

Using this as your ascent and descent line its handy, quick and quiet.

BUT! Rappelling like this can be hazardous. If your line on the ground gets tangled or caught your descent is stopped

if anything gets caught in your second hitch it can strand you. just like any repelling, it’s very important to keep hair clothing and objects out of your hitches

All of these issues pertain to the Rescue one CDS harness also

But if something gets caught or tangled in that system it’s behind your head

02-Dec-21
Thanks guys.

midwest, that's slicker than sh!t. I know a guy with a canvas biz might have to hit him up for the sewing.

02-Dec-21

2Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Happy people do not establish forethought and prudence in regard to what is safe.

02-Dec-21
2wildbill....huh?

02-Dec-21
Being upside down in a climbing harness is a real thing. Most people climb with others to assist. Most hunters do not.

02-Dec-21
That was shown before, you have to turn yourself upside down to get into that position.

02-Dec-21
If you somehow get yourself in that situation and can't get out of it, you probably shouldn't be climbing trees in the first place.

02-Dec-21
:>))))))

02-Dec-21
I just wish someone would answer this simple question: What is used to attach the rock climbing harness to the tree? And where the hell do you get one? I've wasted hours researching this and have found a 1000 different dangerous answers. I don't want a linemans/climbling line. I want to wear the rc harness to the stand, climb the tree using tree steps, and then attach whatever rope/cable to the tree. Then step out onto the platform.

03-Dec-21
T Paul. You use a tether girth hitched around the tree. A carabiner is attached to a prusik knot on the tether. Same as using any other tree harness.

03-Dec-21
Tall Paul

I use ladder stands, and there is a lifeline attached.

My tether is attached to my front, using a carabiner, next to my belt buckle. The other end also has a carabiner and that is attached to the prussic knot on the lifeline.

As I climb, I slide the knot upwards.

Once in the stand, I push the tether behind me, and the lifeline that is wrapped around the tree, is waist height.

If you use a climber, hook up the same way to the safety rope/strap that is around the tree, begin your climb.

The tether is not in my way when I draw back.

03-Dec-21
After reviewing all of the above, I'm still of the opinion a full body harness like the Rescue One CDS is still the safest & best way to go. As many of you know, the Rescue one CDS in heavy & not very conferable. But I have tested it and it did lower me to the ground safely. I'm willing to put up with the shortcomimgs of the Rescue one to live another day after a fall from a tree stand...

03-Dec-21
If your RC harness is attached and used correctly, you should never come close to falling. To each their own. I'll stick with mine for run n gun stuff, also have a Muddy harness that I'll use on more permanent set-ups on occasion.

03-Dec-21

Tall Paul,

Do whatever you like, however, experience has taught us that the best/safest way to go up a tree is to be attached to either the tree or an installed safety line from the minute your feet leave the ground. Hang on's with a ladder were the method used early on in treestand history, but too many people and gear were failing to stay attached and people would fall from somewhere in between all the way up and all the way down.

The photo is the tree loop I use. My harness is attached at the fisherman's knot. This configuration is easy to loosen and move the loop up or down as desired and easy to snug it tight again. I have modified this slightly to insure the tree loop doesn't loosen and slide down the trunk. I install it head high behind me and with the modification it stays put. I have a similiar rope rig I use for my gear to hang beside me. I carry it in my pants pocket and is the next thing I install once my harness is set and before I hoist up my gear and bow.

03-Dec-21

03-Dec-21

Supernaut's Link
Tall Paul, this is what I use to attach from my RCH to the tree. I took about a 2 foot section of climbing rope and made a tether line that is looped through the hookup point on the front of my RCH I I then just attach the loose end to the caribiner at the pursicc knot on the life line. I'm attached form the moment my feet leave the ground until they get back on the ground again.

03-Dec-21
Supernaut,

I found that rope rig really impressive. The first thing I noticed was the tailpiece hanging down through the stand. A couple of years back some of us on Leatherwall were wondering about a means to lower ourselves safely in the event of climbing stand failure. Instead of a 9' line, a 20' line would make the tailpiece long enough to support a safe descent. Instead of a fixed loop at the anchor end of the rope, I would tie an Ashley stopper knot, and instead of one prussic knot I would install two. The top most prussic I would size and use to tie the top end of the line to the prussic with a sheetbend. This would allow me to more easily adjust the tree loop by sliding the prussic loose and tight as needed. The second(lower) prussic would be for my harness attachment. If an emergency happened and I was hanging by my tether, I could then pull up on the tail piece and lower the bottom tether. By alternating this action I could lower myself on the tailpiece and safely reach the bottom of the tree. I could even carry a 1" tubular nylon loop in my pocket and easily tie a prussic knot below the harness prussic and use a step loop to support my weight as I lower the harness prussic. I'm thinking a 9mm climbing line would support my weight and still be compact enough to pack in and out.

Unfortunately I'm recovering from a quadruple bypass and can't practice with this rig till next spring, but at that time I will come back with photos. God bless.

03-Dec-21
TallPaul I use this since I don't know any knots connected to a Lifeline prussic with a carabiner from ground up. Please don't take my word for it as I'm not even close to an expert. It was recommended to me and makes ME feel comfortable. https://eaglesnestoutdoors.com/product/gm-climbing-16mm-nylon-sling-runner-22kn-4840lb-ce-uiaa-certified/

03-Dec-21
2Wild Bill, thank you for the explanation and that seems like a very safe set up!

Sorry to hear about the bypass and I hope you make a full and speedy recovery! My father in law had a quadruple done about 5 years ago and he was like a new man shortly after the surgery. All my best to you! -Jim

04-Dec-21
I made the switch to an RC harness this year and went with a Petzl Falcon Mountain harness. What sold me on it was the lineman loops.

04-Dec-21
Supenaut- Can you use that system to climb a tree with some branches?

04-Dec-21
SBH, short answer, NO. I guess you could if you had 2 life line ropes. One would stay hooked around the tree while you moved the other above the branch and the swapped. It would work I reckon but be a pain in the keister. I use a climber so I can't tackle trees with limbs. Fortunately I can almost always find a suitable one for climbing and if not, I pick a spot on the ground.

16-Dec-21
I have been using a Petzl RCH for maybe ten years now. I attach a Beal Dynaclip ( 50CM size) to it. It just girth hitches I front. If you Google Beal Dynaclip you can see what it is. My locking carabiner attaches to the other end of the Beal. When at height I have my tether girth hitched around the tree. I then attach the Beal to my tether. The beal runs under the right arm (right hand shooter). I adjust it so when sitting in the stand the tether is taut underway my arm. Best way to explain is that if I feel out of the tree while sitting I would not fall any farther than that position. When standing I can easily turn to shoot in either direction. I'll try to post a pic of my setup. I will never use anything else. Some guys just attach the tether directly to the RCH but I kill this setup better. I the other way I found the tether always to be in the way.

16-Dec-21
Double post

16-Dec-21

Tracker's embedded Photo
Tracker's embedded Photo
Pic of my setup. Correction. My Dynaclip is 70cm

16-Dec-21
Pic of my setup. Correction. My Dynaclip is 70cm

• Sitka Gear