#bowhunter 06-Dec-21
x-man 06-Dec-21
TonyBear 08-Dec-21
Catscratch 08-Dec-21
nchunter 10-Dec-21
nchunter 10-Dec-21
01-Dec-21

JL's Link
Ya...a play on words. This is pretty cool for a 16 pointer. I never seen an antlered doe myself. I wonder if a person was entered in a big buck contest....would this count? I tried to post a photo and the site returns an error message.

Missouri hunter shoots 16-point ‘buck’ — then discovers it’s something much more rare

Mitchell Willetts Tue, November 30, 2021, 1:09 PM·1 min read

A Missouri hunter shot what he thought was a 16-point buck, but when he came out of cover and inspected his prize more closely, he saw something was amiss.

Samuel Perotti had seen this well-antlered deer in photos captured by his game camera, the state Department of Conservation said, and recognized it even as he lined up his shot and pulled the trigger.

Then came the surprise: Despite the impressive crown of bone protruding from the deer’s skull, this was no buck, but a doe. A rare one.

A conservation agent met up with Perotti to confirm what he was seeing, according to the conservation department. An antlered doe, the agent determined, a “unique harvest.”

Just how unique? Antlers grow on does once in about every 5,000 female deer, according to National Deer Association estimates, the Clarion Ledger reported in 2019.

Unusual as they are, there are numerous reports of hunters spotting or harvesting antlered does.

Earlier this month, a hunter took down a 20-point doe in Virginia, Field & Stream reported.

While some antlered does sport pretty serious hardware on their heads, others have less impressive growth. One doe harvested in Mississippi could have been mistaken for a unicorn as easily as a buck, with “one small spike” sprouting from it, the Clarion Ledger reported.

A number of things can cause female deer to grow antlers, according to the National Deer Association.

Most often, it’s a result of elevated testosterone, the NDA said, and in such cases the deer can typically still reproduce. However, other anatomical abnormalities can result in antlered females, or antlered males that otherwise appear female.

01-Dec-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo

02-Dec-21
"Herbefor?"

02-Dec-21
It's "they" deer!

02-Dec-21
I woulda gave her another year. Nice if she could put some mass on

02-Dec-21
Think it could be entered in a big buck contest?

02-Dec-21
She obviously identifies as a male deer!

02-Dec-21
Would he/she/it/they be considered "fluid" then?

02-Dec-21
Most state regs say "antlered" deer and nothing about being a buck.It happens.

02-Dec-21
Last year my cousin shot what he thought was the largest doe he had ever shot. He already his his limit of a nice buck. I trailed the deer and found it. I told him he was over the limit on buck because this was a buck judging from his hardware between his legs. The deer had absolutely no sign of ever having antlers. The top of it's head was smooth. The state said it was Okay that he shot it.

02-Dec-21
Last year my cousin shot what he thought was the largest doe he had ever shot. He already his his limit of a nice buck. I trailed the deer and found it. I told him he was over the limit on buck because this was a buck judging from his hardware between his legs. The deer had absolutely no sign of ever having antlers. The top of it's head was smooth. The state said it was Okay that he shot it.

06-Dec-21
I''ve had a 1 horn doe in an area I hunt for the last 3 years, full velvet, about 4", has had fawns each year. Bob

06-Dec-21
On a semi-related note, I shot an antler-less buck this fall in a doe-only private land heard management hunt. Field dressed at 150#, probably 2 years old. weird

08-Dec-21
I still have the smaller basket rack from the 8 pt doe my Dad shot years ago. I used to bring it to the hunter Ed. classes I taught. I would ask the students what they thought might be so special bout the smaller rack I used for rattling.

1. One of the last bucks Dad ever shot. 2. Small size fits in the pack easier. 3. Shot a few bucks myself while rattling with these antlers 4. Other (the came off of a doe). Generally , nobody thought of #4 because it's still that rare.

08-Dec-21

Catscratch's embedded Photo
Catscratch's embedded Photo
I was fortunate enough to watch an antlered doe for a couple of yrs. Year-round velvet and had fawns both yrs.

10-Dec-21
I would love to have a dna type person to tell what sex this deer is. I have shot a ton of old does and not a one had a face that looked like that. Just my 2 cents.

10-Dec-21
I would love to have a dna type person to tell what sex this deer is. I have shot a ton of old does and not a one had a face that looked like that. Just my 2 cents.

• Sitka Gear