maytom 03-Dec-21
12yards 03-Dec-21
Patdel 03-Dec-21
12yards 03-Dec-21
WI Shedhead 03-Dec-21
c5ken 03-Dec-21
Huntskifishcook 04-Dec-21
03-Dec-21
Hi Bowsiters, It has been a while since I have been on here. So long since I had to re-register. My question: How many of you have had shoulder replacement surgery and are still shooting a bow? Thanks for your thoughts. Grant Foster

03-Dec-21
I haven't had a shoulder replacement but I had an operation on my shoulder fir a bone spur..it takes a while to get back to shooting a bow. Do what the Dr tells you, thats my best advice. Dont rush it. I shoot recurves in the 45lb range, so I was careful and my operation wasnt a shoulder replacement

03-Dec-21
I would think your doctor is the only person that can give you advice on this matter. There are likely some variables between individuals, so what’s right for some may not be right for others. Good luck on the surgery.

03-Dec-21
I had both shoulder surgeries done due to torn rotator cuffs. I'm in the same boat since I can't draw my bow back anymore either. Crossbow is the choice for me now

03-Dec-21
There have been many archers that have had shoulder replacements that are back shooting again. Just follow rehab to a tee and it will take time. I'm going to need one or both done eventually and there's no way I'm not going to try to shoot again after. Hopefully some folks will chime in.

03-Dec-21
Listen to your Dr. And your physical therapist. Do your exercises. Took me about 6 months to feel confident pulling a bow again....closer to year before everything felt "right".

That wasnt a replacement tho. But major surgery for torn labrum, bicep tendon and rotator cuff.

Best of luck...

03-Dec-21

12yards's Link
Here you go.

03-Dec-21
I’m having mine cleaned up after the first of the year. As long as I have teeth and one arm I’ll be shooting a vertical bow. Hunted alongside people recently that shoot a crossbow and after dealing with that I’d rather not. Just my opinion

03-Dec-21

c5ken's embedded Photo
c5ken's embedded Photo
Dale06 is totally correct in my opinion... I had my right shoulder replaced several years ago. I had three surgeries on right prior to total replacement. I went through physical-therapy and follow DR. instructions to a T. Slowly worked to pull a 70lb bow to hunt Cape buffalo. Shortly after my Buff hunt had to drop down to 60lbs. Now, several years after total replacement I had to drop down to 50lbs. I also lift weights to strengthen archery muscles. My DR. recommend lifting light weights with lots of reps.

04-Dec-21
I can't speak to a full replacement. I had arthroscopic shoulder surgery after multiple dislocations in 2004. It was a total failure and dislocated at least a dozen more times. In 2013 I had a much more extensive fix which included fusing a bone block to prevent dislocation along with tendon and ligament work. Huge success and being almost 10 years wiser I followed the instructions perfectly. Prior to 2013 there is no chance I could have pulled a bow. I started bow hunting the following year without issue. Work with your doc and physical therapist and I'd say you have a fighting chance. Best of luck.

• Sitka Gear