StickFlicker 05-Dec-21
Ambush 05-Dec-21
70lbdraw 13-Dec-21
bowbender77 27-Dec-21
Coyote 65 27-Dec-21
Ambush 27-Dec-21
BULELK1 02-Jan-22
05-Dec-21
Its December and my regular seasons are all done for the year. Except for preds, maybe call in a lynx and hopefully follow the hounds to a cougar. So it's time to start dreaming about sun, sand and cactus in Arizona. Covid killed last January's hunt plans and might again if our governments get all Omicron crazy. But hoping for the best!

The usual plan is to drop my wife off at her sisters' in Cave Creek/Carefree just northeast of Scottsdale and after a couple days I'll take off on my own. Couse is the preferred target and javelina if a tag is available. I've hunted javi's around Scottsdale but lots of hikers and bikers make that area less enjoyable. Also hunted a couple of times south of Tucson which was fun. The intel so far (thanks Ron) is that all the rain has water everywhere and the grass thick and tall. I wouldn't mind trying a bit more open country as well. Maybe glass from hills, then spot and stalk.

Probably get to Carefree around New Years, depending on the northern weather and border protocol.

So if anyone is there and can comment on the conditions in areas within about three or four hours of Scottsdale, I'd really appreciate it. Or any suggestions for specific areas to hunt and camp. Initially my plan was to simply pull into a likely area and holler out "I'm Paul@thefort , so one of you might as well give up right now!". But then I'm not sure if there's a law in AZ about impersonating a Legend, so I quit that idea.

I'm very much open to meeting up with other Bowsiters as well, even if just for the stories and camp. Or if anybody has any suggestions about what tags may be available OTC for any given areas, that'd be great to. I find AZ regs a bit confusing to be honest.

Thanks and happy hunting!

05-Dec-21
It was pretty dang chilly in the morning when I was down there in November.

9 degree's one morning and Flagstaff was in the teens most every night.

Granted that is a bit farther north than Scottsdale

Have fun and travel safe Ambush,

Robb

05-Dec-21

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

05-Dec-21
Things have changed a bit since last year Ambush and not for the better. As you are probably aware, there are a lot less options available to us archers pertaining to OTC deer tags. Make sure there is a season open for archery deer first. Where I usually go they have closed the December and January hunts to archers. It sux but what can you do.... all good things come to an end!!! This first year will be interesting to see if the OTC units will be bombarded with archers who have been displaced from their usual units. Other then that the weather can be a bit unpredictable. I've chased javies in 70° weather and I've chased them in 30° weather in January. Bring plenty of cold weather gear just in case.....

05-Dec-21
As NMM mentioned, lots of the OTC hunts have gone away this year, and AZGFD is trying their best to get rid of the rest over the next couple of years. Javelina tags will likely be gone before you arrive, except for the urban OTC permits (with the hikers and bike riders). It has been dry for months, and the temps in the Phoenix area have been at or within a degree or two of all-time highs lately. Last week we hit 89 degrees one day, but we might get a little rain this weekend.

05-Dec-21
“…….. The intel so far is that all the rain has water everywhere and the grass thick and tall…..”

Not really. With the exception of a few quick “drive by” storms dropping very little precipitation, we haven’t had anything for months. Up here in the Flagstaff region, the last meaningful rain was back in August!! It’s pretty dry, but there aren’t many OTC hunts open in this region come January anyways……but just be prepared for dry conditions if no storms come this month. The central part of the state hasn’t faired well either and as mentioned, temps approaching 90! Lol

Just check the regs for recent changes as many hunts are gone. Also expect the remaining open units to be a circus! Good luck!!

05-Dec-21
Thanks guys!.

Robb, I'll be driving from either Northern BC or Northern Alberta, so the cold weather gear will be on board.

NMM, that's disappointing to hear. I'll likely be looking at 34A or close by. In the past I've stopped in at the Tucson office for the best advice. I also visit the head office and shoot the Ben Avery 3D while I'm there since it's pretty close by.

Marvin, I may buy a license just so I can go off trail and get away from the "urban crush" in the preserve areas.

AZ8, thanks for the weather/conditions update. That's actually good news for me.

I had considered putting in for a draw for javi and deer but with all the covid uncertainty, I wasn't sure I'd be able to go. By the time I buy a license and tag it's about $500 in Canadian pesos. No problem if I can hunt it, but a total waste if I can't even get across the border.

Would I be smart to buy a license online now and a deer tag before they might be gone. Or is there a very good chance there'll be leftovers for Coues in the south? I'm hoping that Omicron doesn't start another border shut down.

05-Dec-21
Unless I am missing something there is unlimited OTC deer tags in open units. Should be a circus this year with all of the closures.

05-Dec-21
^ ^ ^ Ok good to know. Will I need a lawyer and land surveyor to be safe with the closures or are they fairly easy to follow?

05-Dec-21
"Would I be smart to buy a license online now and a deer tag before they might be gone. Or is there a very good chance there'll be leftovers for Coues in the south?"

During the time that you will be here, the only opportunities you will have for deer will be the OTC archery permits. Those are unlimited, but they may only be used in the open units. Many of the units that used to be open have now been moved to the draw permit format and can no longer be hunted in December/January OTC. I don't think it's that hard to follow in the regulations as to which units are open for OTC hunting, there will just be fewer of them than in the past. More of the units in the southern part of the state have stayed in the OTC (at least for another year or two), but many of those in the central and northeast part of the state have been removed.

I live less than two miles from Ben Avery, so feel free to reach out when you are in town if you'd like.

05-Dec-21
Thanks Marvin. I'll definitely keep a visit on the top of my list!

13-Dec-21
"I find AZ regs a bit confusing to be honest."

That's odd...every other states regs are clear as a bell!! ;)

27-Dec-21
GEE THANKS ASHLEHARRIS, but Arizona has enough spammers already.

27-Dec-21
Bowbender, yes, you can get extended warrantee for your vehicle even if it is 20 years old.

Terry

27-Dec-21
azelkhntr, it looks like omicron has turned the dream in a nightmare. We have no idea what the returning border restrictions will be, so we’ve decided to put it off. May try to drive down in February to visit family and I do some scouting. Just spend some time in the desert country and enjoy the scenery.

02-Jan-22
Well, that is a Bummer!!! buddy

True, better smart and safe than having a total headache getting back home across the border.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear