Dale06 08-Dec-21
Dale06 08-Dec-21
12yards 08-Dec-21
IdyllwildArcher 08-Dec-21
x-man 09-Dec-21
Grey Ghost 09-Dec-21
Matt 09-Dec-21
08-Dec-21
I have owned Hoyt, PSE, Matthews and BowTech, and Hoyt has usually won out. I love my Defiant, and Defiant Pro, I shoot them well. Last year I ordered and purchased a Bowtech Revolt for shooting in cold weather, lower poundage. I wanted to try something new and the narrow throat/grip is what I have always liked about Hoyt so I gave it a try. Love it! Especially at the comfort setting in 20 or minus temps.

Looked at all of the new bows this year, and I guess speed is what everyone wants? Bowtech is the only one with a flagship bow with a 7" brace height, so I ordered a Solution SS. Given my shots are seldom over 15 yards because of timber/brush, a slightly slower bow is fine by me. a 7" brace height has always proved to be what I shoot best, admittedly I am not a gifted archer.

Just curious if most of you are happier with the lower brace heights and faster speeds or think the bow companies are missing out not offering a more forgiving bow along with the speed demons.

BTW, the two Defiants are different in ata but have the same brace height. I shoot them equally well out to 35 yards, which I have not shot game that far in more than a decade. For me at least, it is not length but brace height.

Thanks.

08-Dec-21
I was just looking into this same subject a few days ago. Mathews has very few new options with a longer brace height.. I prefer a longer brace height and wish more options were available. When I purchased my Triax I was a little leary of the shorter brace height compared to my old Mathews Outback. Whatever I pointed the Outback at... died a quick death. And I shot it better at longer ranges.(60yds) The Triax is much faster but I'm not as consistent at long range. Which I totally put the blame on my lack of great form.

08-Dec-21
Frank, I will always sacrifice a bit of speed for a more forgiving bow with a longer brace height. 7" brace is the minimum I will shoot. That's why I still hunt with my old Mathews Drenalin, and have 2 Mathews Q2XLs that I pull out if I want to pound spots or 3D targets. Every time I get the itch for a new bow, and shoot the latest and greatest speed demons, I leave the shop unimpressed and empty handed.

Matt

Speaking of the Hoyt Defiant, I had one of the original Fast Flight Defiants back in the mid-90s. I loved that bow. I foolishly sold it when solo-cams became all the rage.

08-Dec-21
There’s been quite a few recent tests in shorter vs longer brace height. And nothing implicates that a longer brace height improves shootability with today’s improvements in technology in cams, risers and limbs. Shoot what you like and don’t look back. :)

08-Dec-21
Matt,

LOL, I wish I never gave my Q2XL to my BiL. One of the best shooting bows I ever owned, I thought it would help him embrace the sport. Instead, he tried it twice and bought a crossbow. Never liked the guy;-)

Blood, the only test to me that matters is what happens when I shoot. Maybe it is just being overly convinced it matters, but the 7" brace height makes a difference to me. Like others, I just don't have perfect form, not even close probably.

08-Dec-21
The PSE Full Throttle is a 5.25 brace. I shoot it very well on the 3D coarse and it is my hunting bow currently. It is a very fast bow and I would struggle with it cranked up. The beauty of a fast bow is not having to have it cranked up and still get blazing fast speeds.

Speed isn't as sought after as much today as it was in 2014 when the Throttle was introduced. Everyone went to easier cams that give smooth draw cycles and higher let-off.

Speed might be making a comeback though.

As far as brace height 7in plus or shorter? Honestly I feel it is more ata for me. 33in on up is more forgiving no matter what brace height is. Once I go 32 and shorter I find them harder, but I'm a 29.5in draw. Short ata bows at that draw length have sharp string angles and that for me is harder to be accurate with. I move to a larger peep to see and my accuracy is reduced. That said my target bow is a PSE Shootdown and on most days I can beat my score with it vs the Full Throttle. But it is a much easier bow to shoot. Easier cams, longer brace height, way longet ata and target stabilizers. On a good day my scores are really close. And on a 3D coarse where a targets are unknown distance where I'm guessing, the Throttle is the bow. It fast enough to be forgiving when my range estimate could be off. It shoots very flat and my pin gap is very small.

I'm using PSE bows for reference, but same would be true with any for me. I used to be concerned about brace height and optioned for longer, but today not so much. I want speed with a comfortable draw cycle and a civil string angle at full draw.

08-Dec-21
Mirage,

That is good info. I wish I could try shorter brace height and see if it works for me with the newest limbs and such, but honestly a few shots at the shop is not going to convince me. I want to have one for a month or so, and even try it hunting.

Pro shops might think about "renting" bows for such "research".

08-Dec-21
6" brace with a string stop is probably more forgiving than a 7" brace and no string stop. The newer parallel limb bows also have a much longer riser than the older longer axle bows which helps with stability.

I'm not a gifted archer with a 30" draw, either, but 6" vs. 7" brace doesn't seem to make any difference in my accuracy on the newer bows and I'll gladly take the extra speed.

08-Dec-21
I'm with you H for W. I'm still shooting two Synergys, 7.5" brace, 33" ata. They are slow, but man, how fast do you need when most of your shots are under 25 yards? With a mid 400 grain arrow they shoot quiet and plenty fast to kill the stuff I hunt. Maybe the arrows bury in the ground a little less I suppose. As my shoulders have gotten worse, speed is one of the last things I think about. Plus, I like the option of shooting 4" feathers if I so choose. Can't do that with the 6" brace bows the way I fletch my arrows. I will gladly take a bow with a 7" or greater brace, 33" or longer ata, and ibo in the 320-330 range. Still kills everything and feels fast to me. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

08-Dec-21
midwest x 2. Brace height is all relative. Someone blessed with a 30” draw length would probably be better off with a longer brace height, just like someone with a 26” draw length would more than likely be better off with a shorter brace height. Like most things, brace height isn’t a “one-size-fits-all”.

08-Dec-21
"Like most things, brace height isn’t a “one-size-fits-all”. Definitely agree with that! My draw length is 28.5" so maybe that in part explains my comfort with the longer brace? Thanks.

08-Dec-21
Buy a used one off archerytalk and if you don't like sell it in a month. It will cost you a shipping charge.

08-Dec-21
It's relative to your draw length for sure. This much is a fact though...the shorter the BH, the more likely you are to torque the bow while drawing.

Put a slippery cotton glove on your bow hand and see how much if any it slips while you draw. Any amount that you slippery bow hand moves while drawing is torque that would be induced with your bare hand.

08-Dec-21
I have a 41 A2A bow, been shooting it for a long time. Real long time. Last year I picked up a V3 31, I couldn't shoot that bow for the life of me and sold it. It was my grip, no doubt I torqued the heck out of that bow, where my old bow (still my current), for better or worse lets me get away with it.

I see Hoyt just released their lineup. That RX7 Ultra looks nice.

08-Dec-21
I like at least 7" with a string stop simply to clear thick jacket sleeves.

08-Dec-21
I honestly think bow companies do what they think the public wants. I still shoot my bowtec 101st airborne it's 44" Ata 7" brace height & was rated 340 ibo. Not what I'd consider a forgiving bow ya even think about relaxing & it'll pull your arm off. But man did I kill a bunch of deer with that bow. That bow shoots an arrow really hard. Completely busted the off side shoulder on a bunch of deer with that bow.

08-Dec-21
I'm also a 7" BH guy, but I have a 30" draw length.

08-Dec-21
The new Elite Envision is 6.875 close enough to 7.

08-Dec-21
It's interesting that Mathews is still manufacturing the old Conquest design. But then, that bow has probably won more archery tournaments than any other, so there's probably still a market for them. I still have mine that I used to compete with.

Has anyone tried the Mathews TRX line of bows? How'd they shoot?

Matt

08-Dec-21
It’s interesting the guys on this post that feel the longer brace height is helpful seem to be shooting old bows…..where brace height made a difference.

Like Midwest and some others have said, it makes almost zero effect on your shootability on the new bows. Go google it. Many tests have been performed. I guess it comes down to if you would rather launch a nice heavy arrow faster with a shorter brace height over a slower heavy arrow with a longer brace height. Always tune your bow the best you can as well. Good luck and shoot straight. Always.

08-Dec-21
Blood,

I don’t doubt you, you can tell I am no expert.

But most of those tests are done by machines, and I am just not that steady. All things equal, doesn’t a longer brace height mean the arrow is clear from contact with the bow quicker which means less chance for human movement?

Maybe drop aways nullify this to some extent, but it is still quiver off the string. My last bow I did go with a WB so the contact issue is still there?

Is it just me mentally that I am convinced I will shoot a 7” BH better?

08-Dec-21
Blood,

Could you explain what's different about the "new designs" that changes the basic physics of shooting archery equipment? As Xman said, "This much is a fact though...the shorter the BH, the more likely you are to torque the bow while drawing.". I think that is undeniable. It's also undeniable that the longer an arrow stays in contact with the bow and string, the more likely the shooter will adversely affect the accuracy of the shot after release. One more fact is that a longer ATA allows for a steadier aim. These truths have been known in the competitive archery circles for years.

Admittedly, I've been out of competition archery for several years. So what has changed with these magical "new designs"?

Matt

08-Dec-21
Blood a shorter Ata bow has to let out more string to achieve the same draw length as a longer Ata bow. It's kinda like lock time on a rifle if ya know what that is. Basically the longer the arrow is on the string the more time your body movements have to affect it. Longer Ata & higher brace heights are inherently more accurate or (forgiving) this is pretty much undisputable.

08-Dec-21
Timex, that is not always true. The newest risers. Especially Mathews risers The forgiveness now comes from the longer heavier riser. Not the ATA

If you notice each year the axles are closer together than the length of the riser. ATA is no longer the proper measurement for those designs.

Some MFGs still have shorter risers and the axles and cam, string angles are from the longer ATA so your statement stands for those older designs.

08-Dec-21
Yup. I agree with all you are saying. I disagree that a shorter BH indices more torque…..torque is torque and caused from a lot of things when you draw the bow…..not from a short BH. If you torque your bow and you have a short BH, I guess it will make you shoot cruddy…..but does 1” of your arrow hanging onto a string going at 280-300 FPS cause you to shoot a 10” group vs a 4” group at say 40 yards, I don’t think so.

I wasn’t trying to start a pissing match. I was just saying that it doesn’t matter to most of us what the BH is. Go find a bow you shoot well, and you like. Don’t pigeon hole your choices into a category that doesn’t mean much any more.

At one time I thought BH was a factor. But the more I’ve read about it lately, the more I’ve bought into that it won’t have one iota of an effect on an average or above shooter. If you’re shouting competitively and you need that advantage to win on the circuit, then yes, those bows that are built for that are long ATA and low BH. But for a hunter…..

08-Dec-21
I shot a 37" axle-to-axle length Mathews Drenalin LD for about a decade. I love everything about that bow and shot it exceedingly well. I now shoot a Bowtech RevoltX that is shorter in both brace height and axle-to-axle length, but greater in performance. In time, I will likely shoot the RevoltX better, on balance, but it does require greater concentration on form and follow-through.

08-Dec-21
I bought a Hoyt Helix Ultra several years ago, new. It had a brace height of I believe 6”. Used it for a year and never could shoot it very well. Sold it and bought a Mathews Atlas, with a brace height 7”+. I shoot that Atlas far better. There are other variables of course, but I’ll give up some speed for the accuracy that I’ve gained. Your results may differ.

08-Dec-21
I bought a Hoyt Helix Ultra several years ago, new. It had a brace height of I believe 6”. Used it for a year and never could shoot it very well. Sold it and bought a Mathews Atlas, with a brace height 7”+. I shoot that Atlas far better. There are other variables of course, but I’ll give up some speed for the accuracy that I’ve gained. Your results may differ.

08-Dec-21
As I said, I shoot Synergys with 7.5" brace. I also had an Elite Impulse 34 which had a 6" brace. I shot the I34 very well honestly. Never had issues with bulky clothes and it felt quite forgiving. It was only a 50# bow and was a joy to shoot. In the end, it didn't get used as much as my Synergys so I sold it. But I didn't notice a lot of difficulty shooting it and being accurate with it. Killed a deer with it. It was nice as it gave me 60# performance in a 50# draw. So I do agree that the newer 6" brace bows are not difficult to be accurate with at the distances I shoot even at my 29.5" dl.

08-Dec-21
Blood, I also like a longer brace height because it minimizes possible contact with clothes over your wrist on cold mornings when you have thick layers on.

09-Dec-21
There are two kinds of torque. One is caused by mechanical flex. This is the torque that is put into the bow each and every time the bow is drawn. This is caused by risers that are not rigid enough and/or limbs that twist(cam lean) and of course side pressure from the cable guard.---This is what Blood is referring to.

The second torque type is induced by the shooter's bow hand/grip. This is best described by your bow hand twisting/torqueing the bow in a manner that is not in a straight line with the arrows intended path. As the bowstring is drawn, the draw weight will "temporarily undo" that torque as you line up the shot. Then, immediately when the release lets go of the string, the bow will return to the twisted position you put into it with your hand. THIS, is the torque that short brace heights can increase and longer brace heights can help reduce. The closer your two hands are together when you start the draw, the harder it is to start the draw without that hand torque.

09-Dec-21
Xman,

I see guys with hand torque problems every time I go to the range. It's very easy to spot, and inevitably it's a shooter with a low BH bow, but not always. All you need to do is look at the position of the bow on the follow thru immediately ofter the shot. If it's pointing in any direction other than straight at the target, then the shooter is introducing hand torque.

The most common problem I see is guys shooting too much draw length, causing their bow arm to be fully extended at full draw, instead of a slight bend at the elbow. That will almost always introduce torque and poor follow-thru problems.

Matt

09-Dec-21
You might want to check out the Hoyt Ultra as well as it has a 7" brace height.

09-Dec-21
Matt,

I had an Ultra and an Ultra 38, great bows.

But, I like to hang and hunt, so my “fresh” locations are not usually well trimmed out. Being only 5’8” tall, the shorter ata bows have given me more maneuverability around twigs and leaves etc.

I am learning a lot here, thanks all!

• Sitka Gear