GhostBird 16-Dec-21
stealthycat 16-Dec-21
Pat Lefemine 16-Dec-21
KHNC 16-Dec-21
blue spot 16-Dec-21
goyt 20-Dec-21
Dale06 20-Dec-21
15-Dec-21
I find myself now hunting in cold weather with sound traveling long distances. I have gone to using the one piece climbing sticks because I like the security of having multiple straps holding it onto the tree and the center bar and all of the steps to grab onto. I have not paid much attention to brand. I am finding that some of them make a lot of metal on metal noise as I climb. I have covered the carabiners with hockey tape. The noise seems to come from the joints where the sections come together. I am putting up a couple of stands in new locations that are probably close to bedding areas because deer bed closer to food sources this time of year. I have dug up some Lone Wolf climbing sticks which I will use because I think that they will eliminate the noise issue. However, I would like to remedy the noise issue with the one piece sticks. Any thoughts on how to address what I already own or brands that are silent?

15-Dec-21
I have a friend that welds his together. Permanent solution but it works. He does all his ladder stands too

15-Dec-21
Clifford, I'd try some lithium grease on the joints. It does wanders for virtually any squeaky metal to metal parts.

Matt

15-Dec-21
Same reason I hate ladder stands. Creaky as hell. I'll take the stick with rope mod and hang on stand system, or a LW climber any day to hunt quiet.

15-Dec-21
Put tape on the end of the sticks were they connect. Works on ladder stands also.

15-Dec-21
Anti-seize lubricant. I use Permatex........brush on joint.

15-Dec-21
How about filling each section with spray-in foam insulation, it will reduce the metal vibration that causes most of the noise.

15-Dec-21
Finding a lubricant works wonders but it is hard to find some that doesn't have noticeable scent. I have used some food service grease in the past. Putting foam in the tubes helps reduce the sound level.

15-Dec-21
Joey, what type of odor does Permatex have?

Has anyone tried Vaseline?

15-Dec-21
I use thick sheet foam from craft store. No metal to metal contact

15-Dec-21
The one piece sticks is all I use on my little piece of property. I catch foam pipe insulation on mine between the steps.

16-Dec-21
I’m sure the walking into the stand does just as much

16-Dec-21
blow your grunt call while climbing to cover up the squeaks. The when you get there you will have both entered with stealth, but already started pulling #1 or #2 on your hit list right into range.

16-Dec-21
Short of welding the joints together you could try taping the male end with some electrical tape to tighten the connection. I’d imaging there is enough tolerance in the joint for a wrap or two of tape. Bring a nail to open the hole for the pin.

16-Dec-21
I always said If I had el chapos money..I’d pay people to dig tunnels from my parking spot to my stand… slip in and slip out very little chance of being detected..

16-Dec-21
Back when we were using Apache and Ocalla ladder stands I learned to fill the extruded aluminum tubing they were made from with spray foam insulation. It made assembling and climbing into the stands pretty quiet.

16-Dec-21
Here is what helped us is with ladder stand noise is, when replacing the ratchet strap on the platform, use it on the ladder sections to synch them together. We run the strap down the middle. If you have two extra, do both sides.

Our old ladder stands, less expensive, made no noise or very little. The ratchet straps worked great on them. Several years ago I got an amazing deal on higher end, taller, ladder stands - 18 of them. These new ones are terribly noisy. I am considering permanently gluing them together. Not fun. BC

16-Dec-21
JB Weld... end of noise.

16-Dec-21
unless a deer is already really close - forget about it

mine all do the same, I figure if a deer is that close I'm screwed anyway

16-Dec-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Heavy duty and very quiet, not cheap.
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Heavy duty and very quiet, not cheap.

Pat Lefemine's Link
Best one piece sticks I’ve ever tried were the new summit 20’ sticks. They are totally silent. They are expensive however at 169$ per set but by far the quietest and best design.

16-Dec-21
THose sticks look pretty sweet!

16-Dec-21
I like the one Paul@thefort used on a couple of his out of state deer hunts. At least a couple pictures in his stories.

I think they come in old school wood, aluminum. New ones even come in fiberglass.

20-Dec-21
Thanks for the input guys. I will try a few things after season closes. I put up one stand using Long Wolf sections which are quiet. Still like the one piece better for stands that stay up.

20-Dec-21
I agree with stealthycat. If they’re close enough to to hear you getting in your stand, they know you are there. Now, noise after you’re in the stand and things settle down, is another matter. I’ve not found a quiet ladder stand, but it’s been a while since I tried one.

• Sitka Gear